Profile for Chrissie L > Reviews

Content by Chrissie L

Chrissie L "Chrissie" (UK)

Devil's Cub
Devil's Cub
Price: 5.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly Enjoyable, 23 April 2012
This review is from: Devil's Cub (Kindle Edition)
This is one of my favourite Heyers so far - two interesting characters, several misunderstandings and a great supporting cast. I would suggest you buy this, get a comfy chair and sit back for a thoroughly enjoyable time!

Friday's Child
Friday's Child
Price: 3.59

3.0 out of 5 stars Fluffy and enjoyable but not a classic, 23 April 2012
This review is from: Friday's Child (Kindle Edition)
Although an entertaining read I found the main characters too silly and immature to really care about, and the ending was obvious from the start. However what made this novel enjoyable was the beautifully drawn supportng characters whose antics at times had me laughing out loud.

Not my favourite Heyer by a long way, but still passed am enjoyable hour or two

The Spanish Bride
The Spanish Bride
Price: 3.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable But Not A Favourite, 23 April 2012
This review is from: The Spanish Bride (Kindle Edition)
Being interested in the Napoleonic wars I am finding this quite an interesting read, but not as engrossing as my other Ms Heyers. If you are more interested in regency romance than regency battles this is not the book for you.

The Case Of The Missing Boyfriend
The Case Of The Missing Boyfriend

5.0 out of 5 stars A Real Find, 28 April 2011
In recent months I have moved away from 'chick-lit' as a genre as the standard of plot, writing etc just seemed to go further and further downhill. However this is an exception! An intelligent, well written, well plotted novel with sympathetic and interesting characters, which pulls you in from the first page. The author is - i hope - a real find, and i will be buying more of his novels. If you are looking for a light novel that has hidden depths than this is a great choice.

Souls of Angels
Souls of Angels
by Thomas Eidson
Price: 8.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Not the Best Eidson By A Long Way, 4 Feb 2011
This review is from: Souls of Angels (Paperback)
I was very excited recently to discover two new (to me) novels by Thomas Eidson as I have loved most of his previous work. However as good as Hannah's Gift was, this was a let down. A poor plot which resolved quickly and left questions unanswered, plus a rather annoying heroine. If this was the first Eidson book I had read I would not have bothered to read others. I liked the car Fernando tho!

Hannah's Gift
Hannah's Gift
by Thomas Eidson

4.0 out of 5 stars Another Great Eidson Novel, 31 Jan 2011
This review is from: Hannah's Gift (Hardcover)
After St Agnes Stand and The Last Ride both of which I read years ago I appraoched this with some trepidation. I loved both of these novels, but could not finish All God's Children. I shoudl not have worried - fast paced, well written and thoroughly enjoyable. I only the reason that I did not gve this 5 stars is that it did not equal The Last Ride - a truly wonderful novel.

The Darcys and the Bingleys (Pride & Prejudice Continues)
The Darcys and the Bingleys (Pride & Prejudice Continues)
by Marsha Altman
Price: 11.97

3.0 out of 5 stars A Bit Silly, 19 Jan 2011
Although I enjoyed this book, the only similarity it has with any characters created by Jane Austen are their names. Other than that they are entirely unrecognisable - this book could have been about any group of wealthy people at this time. The plot was silly and unbelievable and the writing pretty poor. The author thanked her editors for spotting mistakes - they cannot looked very far. One sentence had 4 negatives in it - I can cope with double negatives, but quadruple!!! Also you could tell this was written by an American with no real idea of Georgian society or UK geography. I mean Lizzy riding, on her own, from Pemberley to Scotland!! Purlease! And Charles Bingley being called 'Junior' by his father. Beyond silly!
However it was an adequate Sunday morning lay-in book, which was mildly enjoyable - hence the stars. However I would not buy any more of this author's work.

HP Deskjet F2480 Printer (Print, Copy And Scan)
HP Deskjet F2480 Printer (Print, Copy And Scan)

2.0 out of 5 stars Looking for a good printer - look elsewhere, 16 Nov 2010
Very disappointed with this printer. I bought it as a printer/scanner - however I did not find out til I had bought it that there is no scanning software available if you have W7. So I have no access to the scanning feature. It also has a bug where it prints documents twice for no apparant reason. With the cost of the ink this is extremely annoying. However try to access the HP online help feature and it refuses to accept your printer ID. So no help there. Also the paper feed is annoying - jams very easily and seems very flimsy. All together a disappointment from a good vendor.

The Captive Queen
The Captive Queen
by Alison Weir
Price: 12.92

2.0 out of 5 stars More like Mills and Boon Queen!, 18 May 2010
This review is from: The Captive Queen (Hardcover)
I love both Alison Weir's non fiction and her two previous novels - esp Innocent Traitor. However this was a real let down. It had more in common with Mills and Boon than good quality historical fiction. I find the period fascinating and Eleanor ranks with Elizabeth 1 as an outstanding woman of her time. This book takes the whole amazing saga and makes it silly and boring. I am sad to say - avoid or be disappointed