Profile for Bobby Davro > Reviews

Content by Bobby Davro

Bobby Davro (LIVERPOOL United Kingdom)

The Effortless Sleep Method:  The Incredible New Cure for Insomnia and Chronic Sleep Problems
The Effortless Sleep Method: The Incredible New Cure for Insomnia and Chronic Sleep Problems
by Sasha Stephens

2.0 out of 5 stars Reductionist and too Evangelical for my taste., 16 Mar 2014
I'm hesitant to be negative about a book that seems to have been helpful to a lot of people. However, this book did not improve my sleep; in fact it made me feel worse as the author is convinced I therefore could not have been following her advice sincerely.
The thing is the mind (conscious and subconscious) and sleep mechanisms are very complex and idiosyncratic things, so no list of sleep must-do's will fit everyone. The problem is that the author is quite emphatic that this IS THE list that will work for 100% of people. Unfortunately, that's not the case. Most of the techniques are freely available insomnia lore (no clockwatching, no daytime napping etc. - which 'experts' disagree about anyway), others actually exacerbated my insomnia (no TV in bed - I actually find I drift off whilst/after watching TV in bed - it 'brings me down, so removing it made the bedroom less of a relaxing place for me). Other suggestions are dubious at best and discredited at worst (NLP by writing lines of 'I'm a brilliant sleeper?).
In the end, perhaps I expected too much of this book, but then it does make grand, if unsubstantiatedif, gurantees.

Bye Bye Standby Online Energy Controller
Bye Bye Standby Online Energy Controller

1.0 out of 5 stars Completely unintuitive and frustrating., 3 Nov 2012
Never managed to get this functioning despite a lot of time invested in it. The provided instructions were pretty much useless and the BBSB forums filled with bewildered consumers and techies. I'm not afraid of a bit of technological tinkering, but getting this system functioning was beyond me. To add insult to injury, the BBSB site has withdrawn its 'support'. Very expensive mistake.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 10, 2014 8:25 PM GMT

Obsessive Compulsive Cycling Disorder
Obsessive Compulsive Cycling Disorder

5.0 out of 5 stars Best 77p I can remember spending..., 3 May 2012
...since that matchbox car I saved up for as kid. Funny, self-effacing and seemingly a good egg, this guy tells a great cycling yarn and it's a crime that he hasn't been published more. Right that wrong by downloading this embarrassingly cheap book.

Why There Almost Certainly Is a God: Doubting Dawkins
Why There Almost Certainly Is a God: Doubting Dawkins

5.0 out of 5 stars A REAL philosopher shows Dawkins how to do it., 30 April 2012
Consistent, coherent and, above all, conversant with philosophical method, this book demonstrates the many shortcomings of Dawkin's materialism. I wondered how it managed to receive such a middling overall review score, until I read the 1 and 2 star reviews (which skew the average) and found they basically amount to "He believes in God, and so is evidently my intellectual inferior. Being considerably cleverer, I was able to dismiss this out of hand." One such reviewer, so high on his horse that his head must have been through the stratosphere, looks down on Ward and chastises him with a 'really must do better', before going on to demonstrate his fundamental misunderstanding of Ward's reasoning; suggesting at best a quick skim of the book, more likely an inattentive once over of the sample purely for the purpose of looking for loopholes. If that's your aim, move on, nothing to see here. If on the other hand you're interested in an intellectual rebuttal of Dawkins (a latecomer to philosophy and theology with no grounding in either) from a philosopher with credentials, give it a spin.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 3, 2013 4:57 PM BST

Calvin & C. S. Lewis Solving the Riddle of the Reformation
Calvin & C. S. Lewis Solving the Riddle of the Reformation

4.0 out of 5 stars A rare and useful perspective., 2 Oct 2011
The author offers an accessible and fair overview of the tensions between Calvinistic Theology and the Classical Theism of Lewis. He quotes from various authors at length and thus provides a well supported summary of the alternative positions. He has clearly wrestled personally with the issues of predestination and election and so offers useful insights to others who, like myself, find themselves intellectually and emotionally challenged by reform theology. My only reservation would be in the author's written style which vacillates between formal/academic and informal/chatty, which can feel jarring. Otherwise, highly recommended.

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers, The Return of the King (BBC Radio Collection)
by J.R.R. Tolkien
Edition: Audio CD

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointingly wooden, far back and stilted performances., 20 Jun 2010
I realise that I'm in danger of having a hobbit thrown at me, but I felt that I should attempt to provide some balance to the gratuitous torrent of praise directed at these CDs. I've just finished listening to them and, imho, they were pretty disappointing for the following reasons:
i) Just about everyone sounds like they're from upper middle England as opposed to Middle Earth. Now I'm dead against Amerispeak as the common tongue of fantasy characters, but Hobbiton is not Eaton. I challenge anyone not to roll on the floor when the riders of Mordor first speak (it's like they've drafted in Mr Chomondley Warner - youtube it if you don't remember Harry Enfield's 1930s TV presenter).
ii) Some of the voice actors simply do a poor job. The script sounds read out: the intonation is often stilted and unconvincing, as if the actors aren't sufficiently familiar with their lines.
iii) Everything is so announced. I know this problem is generic to spoken-only media, but it's really jarring to have the characters crowbar descriptions of the scene (and their actions) into their sentences. "I'm just going to attack that orc, who has presently appeared through those wooden doors, surprsing us all!"
iv) The ubiquitous poems and songs. I appreciate this is being true to the books, but the performances are cringe-makingly bad. Frodo (Holm), speaks, yes SPEAKS, the 'merry old inn' song! It's reminiscent of one of those appalling family karaokes, where your uncle embarassedly fumbles his way through a rap.
Don't get me wrong, I love LOTR, but I've been spoiled by the excellent realisation of the books in both the real life and animated films. I'd advise anyone to buy those before adding the radio play to their collection of all things Tolkien.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 30, 2013 10:46 AM BST

Official History Of England DVD (with Digital copy)
Official History Of England DVD (with Digital copy)

1.0 out of 5 stars Frustratingly incomplete and amateurish., 19 Jun 2010
I was hoping that the 'Official History of England' would be a comprehensive and authoritative review of the definitive moments of English international football, slickly presented and backed up by some respectable punditry. Unfortunately this is NOT that video. Instead we have some familiar footage interspersed with some ancient interviews with the players (Lineker without a hint of grey!). Too much time is given to the pre-war years in this reviewer's opinion, but more curious is the selection of material deemed important to the fan interested in England's post 66 years. I hoped for a reprise of England's progress in the major World Cups of the last half century with video of the key moments - allowing you to relive the journey, or at least to jog your memory. Instead we are offered piecemeal highlights that give undue attention to unimportant qualifiers and friendlies, but omit vital pieces of international history. Whole swathes of tournament progress (including semi and quarter-final matches) are glossed over by the narrator in a single, clips-free sentence. I wouldn't expect a blow by blow account of every England game since 66, but I think there are some basics that any fan would assume the inclusion of:
Mexico 70
- The controversy over Bobby Moore's arrest in Colombia prior to the tournament (not even mentioned)
- Peter Bonetti's replacing Banks against Germany (no footage from the game whatsoever, let alone Bonettis howler)
Spain 82
- Keegan's struggle with fitness and his eventual appearance against Spain only for him to miss THAT header (not even mentioned - in fact the only thing we see from the ENTIRE tournament is Robson's opener against France).
Macarana 84
- Important only for Barnes' phenomenal goal against the Brazilians, arguably the greatest individual England goal ever (mentioned but NOT shown!!!).
Mexico 86
- Hand of God seen but NOT Maradonna's wonder goal (greatest world cup goal ever scored against England?).
Italia 90
- Semi-final vs Germany: The tackle that denied Gazza the possibility of playing in the final and the "have a word" moment; Waddle's penalty? (neither shown/mentioned).
Euro 96
- England's demolition of Holland (not shown).
- Semi-final against Germany (the ONLY footage: Southgate's penalty?!)
The list of unfathomable gaps goes on into the new millenia, only the unforgettable 5-1 in Munich being given anything like the coverage you'd want. And it stops there! Despite the recent release date given for the DVD, it only takes us to Portugal 04! At least that serves as a good maetaphor for this title: it falls way short. The final nail in the coffin is that it's in 4:3 format (does anyone in England still have a 4:3 telly?). Avoid, avoid, avoid and then some.

Pin Extractor/Remover Tool/Gadget for metal band watches
Pin Extractor/Remover Tool/Gadget for metal band watches
Offered by Watches2U

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job for a cheap price, but lacking instructions., 16 Jun 2010
Once I knew what I should be doing the tool worked fine: I was able to get the pins out quickly and quite easily, though as other reviewers have said it can be a little fiddly with no height adjustment to help align the pin (but what do you expect for under a fiver?).
By reading instructions for similar tools on Amazon I found out that I should be pushing from the non-split side of the pin. Putting the pin back in was a simple matter of then pushing from the split side. Straightforward enough when you know how and I was able to adjust my watch in a few minutes. Recommended, especially as Amazon fulfil the order so you can use Prime.

The Lord of the Rings
The Lord of the Rings
by J. R. R. Tolkien
Edition: Misc. Supplies

1.0 out of 5 stars A bit of balance, 5 Feb 2004
I realise that I'm in danger of having a hobbit thrown at me, but I had to provide some balance to the gratuitous torrent of praise directed at these tapes. I've just finished listening to them and, imho, they were pretty disappointing for the following reasons:
i) Just about everyone sounds like they're prevented from speaking properly by the size of the plums in their mouths (I'm dead against Amerispeak as the common tongue of fantasy characters, but Hobbiton is not Eaton). I challenge anyone not to roll on the floor when the riders of Mordor first speak (it's like they've drafted in Mr Chomondley Warner).
ii) Some of the voice actors just don't do a good job. The script sounds.....read: the intonation is often stilted and unconvincing, as if the actors haven't learned their lines.
iv) The ubiquitous poems and songs. I appreciate this is being true to the books, but the performances are off-the-map bad. Frodo (Holm), speaks, yes SPEAKS, the 'merry old inn' song! It's reminiscent of one of those appalling family karaokes, where your uncle embarassedly fumbles his way through a rap.