Profile for Scottish D > Reviews

USN Amino Stim, Strawberry Limeade - 315 g
Offered by Colossol Nutrition

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, 13 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is simple a preworkout blend with caffeine and BCAAs. BCAAs are an important amino acid supplement if you're lifting and the caffeine gives you a kick during a workout. There are 30 servings and it says you can take up to 2 servings a day (either two individual servings or a double serving). It's good stuff. Tastes nice (strong lime taste in particular). Problem is its full or artifial crap - just look at my picture of it, lovely weird shade of green! Another problem for me is that it doesn't state whether it's suitable for veggies or vegans. I've tweeted them to ask but they've ignored me. I suspect it's veggie okay but the aminos could be animal derived and not suitable for vegans.

There are alternatives out there. MyProtein do V4 which is very similar but cheaper. Sci Max do X-plode which is a bit cheaper and suitable for vegans (my preferred option and it has aminos too). And Genetics do Advantage Ultra which is vegan with no crap in it but expensive.

If you're not bothered about it being a vegan/veggie product and containing artificial ingredients then this is decent stuff.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Salter Electronic Digital Bathroom Scale, Silver Glitter
Salter Electronic Digital Bathroom Scale, Silver Glitter

5.0 out of 5 stars Does The Job Perfectly, 13 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The first thing you notice is that these scales a pre stylishly looking. They're smaller than other scales I have used but it wasn't a problem and in some ways it was a good thing as it made for easier storage. Setting up is simple - you insert two AAA batteries (supplied) and pop on the 4 round feet to the base. Underneath the scales is a button to select either pounds, kilograms or stones & pounds. I think these are the first scales I have used that provide all 3 options. The scales weigh up to 180kg which is just over 28 stone. I initially tested them in our kitchen floor and they struggled giving an exact reading. However, on our more solid bathroom floor they gave exact, consistent readings. That's maybe my only word of advice - make sure you have a nice solid, flat surface to use them on. Although this advice applies to most bathroom scales. Overall I'm very happy. For a RRP of £24.99 I think they're great value.

USN BCAA Power Punch Performance and Stamina Drink Powder, Tangerine - 400 g
USN BCAA Power Punch Performance and Stamina Drink Powder, Tangerine - 400 g

4.0 out of 5 stars Great product, poor packaging, 10 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
What you get here is a BCAA mix of 2:1:1 ratio. If you're into your weight lifting then you'll know the benefits that these aminos bring. I've tried them in pill form and also powdered mix both from MyProtein. Many pre and intra workout mixes have them added too.

This product is sugar free (sweetener used is sucralose). You mix two scoops with water and it turns bright tangerine orange. It tastes pleasant - like a diluted orange squash. It's something I quite enjoyed and could see me using as an intra workout. You get 72 scoops/36 servings in the tub and a serving comes in at 35 calories. It's a very pleasant way to take a dose of aminos.

My only issues are that the packaging is a bit awkward. When you break the seal the outer cover keeps slipping off so you have to be careful not to lose it. It also doesn't say whether it's suitable for veggies or vegans. I've tweeted the company to ask but they haven't replied. I suspect it is okay for veggies but there's a chance the aminos are animal derived meaning not not suitable for vegans. There's lots of information on the packaging but it's difficult to read as the writing is tiny.

One last thing - this is not a pre workout mix. There's no caffeine in it. Many pre and intra workout mixes will contain BCAAs but the buzz you get is mainly from the caffeine. So don't buy this thinking it'll will do a similar job to a strong caffeine mix.

Overall a great product but with frustrating packaging with no veggie/vegan information provided.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Scotch 19 mm x 7.62 m Flip Dispenser with Magic Tape 810
Scotch 19 mm x 7.62 m Flip Dispenser with Magic Tape 810

3.0 out of 5 stars Fine to use but difficult to fit the tape, 10 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
At under £3 you're not paying much for this dispenser, especially considering you get a roll of tape with it. The dispenser itself works well. You can either have is rolled up for easy storage or with the flap open for easy access to the tape. My biggest gripe is that it's incredibly difficult to replace the tape. The picture instructions on the packaging make it look easy to take apart but I found it very difficult. It's quite flimsy in construction so I was worried I'd break the thing trying to snap it apart to put in a new roll of tape. I've managed to take it apart 2 or 3 times and I'm still not quite sure what the knack to snapping it apart was! Putting it back together once the tape is inside isn't too difficult. I'm a teacher and wanted this for my classroom but I am concerned that it won't last long, especially once the pupils try to fit a replacement roll of tape! Nice idea, cheap in price but I'm sure there are better dispensers out there.

USN Whey Wafer Bar, Yogurt - Box of 20 x 21 g
USN Whey Wafer Bar, Yogurt - Box of 20 x 21 g

4.0 out of 5 stars An expensive, light, tasty, protein filled snack, 6 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A box of 20 of these for a RRP of £36.99 is insane! Even the current sale price of around £16 is pushing it a bit. You get 20 individually wrapped wafers each weighing 21g. There's not much eating here - imagine two of those pink wafers bus cubits the supermarkets sell side by side and that's what you have here. A wafer biscuit with chocolate on the bottom and a slightly sour but not unpleasant yoghurt tasting filling. Nutritionally each 21g wafer gives you 104kcal, 5.3g fat, 4.4g carbs and 8.7g protein so you do get a reasonable protein kick. However, for the same calories I could have a protein shake that gives me an ever bigger protein hit and far less fat and carbs, but I guess here you are going for the convenience. From a personal point of view I'd be reluctant to have a box of these in my gym bag or car as they are quite nice tasting and pretty moreish. I'd worry that I could easy munch through a handful and hit 500+ calories! To have the odd one in the gym bag is probably the way to go although personally I'd just have a protein shake instead. Because they are so light you could easily have one before a workout and it wouldn't lie on your stomach. Overall could be an ideal protein snack for some but not for me, especially as they are pretty expensive.

Medisana Solid Roll Fitness/Exercise Roller
Medisana Solid Roll Fitness/Exercise Roller

4.0 out of 5 stars Pricey at £30 but comes with an invaluable exercise card, 5 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm really not sure what to think of this. I've been doing an increasing amount of floor work during my workout sessions and my trainer seemed to think an exercise roller wouldn't be a bad thing. First of all it is very light, quite thick and not very long. It can easily slip into a gym bag. However, the weight of it in particular makes you really question whether the worth the £30 asking price. It does seem very sturdy but you do kind of feel it should be a fraction of that price. What really makes this roller is the exercise car you get inside. It's A5 and folds out and over the 4 sides are 42 different exercise split into wake up, preparation, activation/regeneration and strength/stability. Without this card I'd be lost to know what to use it for. I'm gradually working through the exercises in the gym. Some require a bit too much flexibility for me (almost yoga like) while others really appeal - plank type exercises. Overall it's a nice addition to my gym routine and one I'm having fun experimenting with when I have time. The only real issue is price and I can't really say it's value for money.

Lonely Planet Best of Italy (Travel Guide)
Lonely Planet Best of Italy (Travel Guide)
by Lonely Planet

4.0 out of 5 stars A Jam Packed Overview To Italy, 5 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The first thing you notice when you pick up the book is the cover. Gone are the modern photographic Lonely Planet covers and instead you get an almost 1950s feeling landscape portrait. Kind of reminds me of a 1950s Bristish Rail poster! Inside you get 350 pages with a city map of Rome at the back. At the front is a small pull out map of Italy. Most of the book is divided into 12 geographical sections - Rome, Florence, Tuscany, Cinque Terre, Assisi, Venice, Milan, Italian Lakes, Naples, Popeii, Amalfi and Sicily. With almost a third of the book dedicated to Rome and with the Rome map it's very heavily focused on the capital city. It's amazing how much they pack into this book. I've never been to Italy and I'm looking to plan out a trip and I've found it a very useful introduction. The book does try to please everyone but covering the whole country with an emphasis on Rome. If you were heading to Rome or one area in particular then a specific guide on that area would be more advisable. There are lots of fine details like opening hours and prices so I would also make sure you get an up to date edition of this guide. Overall a jam packed overview to Italy and one I'd recommend.

USN Diet Whey Isolean Protein, Cookies and Cream - 1 kg
USN Diet Whey Isolean Protein, Cookies and Cream - 1 kg

5.0 out of 5 stars High Protein, Low Carb Sweet Tasting Protein Powder, 2 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Per 100g you get 70.1g protein, 4.3g carbs and 6.1g fat and 376kcal. A 35g scoop serving comes in at 24.5g protein, 1.5g carbs and 2.1g fat and 132kcal. So you're getting a big punch of protein with very low carbs. This is quite surprising as it tastes pretty sweet considering there are so few carbs. The sweetener comes from sucralose and does an excellent job with the sweet flavour. It mixes well with either water or milk and I found that it tasted pretty good just with water. No lumps or gritty texture at all that you sometimes get with some powders. The RRP is £40 for this 1kg bag which is a bit pricey but it's on sale for almost half that price which makes its competitive with the big sellers like My Protein.

101 Chillies to Try Before You Die (101 to Try Before You Die)
101 Chillies to Try Before You Die (101 to Try Before You Die)
by David Floyd

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for people who grow, eat or cook with chillies!, 29 Jun. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I love this book. It's fairs small in size (the size of a standard paperback) but it hardback. It has just over 200 pages with a double page dedicated to each chilli. The chapters are slip into:
-sweet & mild
-warm
-hot
-very hot
-super hot
There's also a final chapter with details of seed and plug suppliers if you fancy having a go at growing your own.

Each double page spread has a colour photo of the chilli, often on the plant growing. As well as text about the chilli there are also details of pod description, growing information, seed suppliers and usage. As someone who likes to grow, eat and cook with chillies this book is heavenly! It's inspired me to track down some of these more obscure chillies and I can't wait to get started. It's so handy that there are supplier codes included for each chilli so if you want to grow it you go to the last chapter to look up details of that supplier. However, this book isn't a gardening book, it's a book for anyone that loves chillies in general. Recommended!

Trump on Trump
Trump on Trump
by George Beahm

4.0 out of 5 stars Serious exploration of Trump through his own speeches, 29 Jun. 2016
This review is from: Trump on Trump (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This comes in at under 200 pages and probably won't take more than a couple hour to read cover to cover. Chapters include:
-Trump make America great again
-Trump on politics
-Trump on business
-Trump on Trump
-timeline
-Trump online
-Trump tomes

I initially thought this would be one of these George W Bush types books with lots of humours quotes from a bumbling politician. But instead you get a fairly serious examination of these speeches and quotes with sections afterwards that include end notes, sources and in context. The politics section is by far the biggest. After reading this book I'm not any further reassured by having him as a world leader but it is good to have a better idea of his positions on a whole host of areas and have the authors to the research to explain why he has this position and whether or not it is actually based around sound evidence rather than just political sound bites. The author does a good job of being impartial. Very few of the speeches and quotes do not have information afterward giving you the context and reasoning behind what he said and why he said it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20