ARRAY(0xa3494edc)

Profile for David Layland > Reviews

Content by David Layland

David Layland

Sibelius - Symphonies Nos 3 & 7 (LSO, Davis)
Sibelius - Symphonies Nos 3 & 7 (LSO, Davis)

3.0 out of 5 stars Noises off!, 26 Sep 2013
I was really excited about receiving this CD having heard a very favourable appraisal on R3's Building A Library.
Unfortunately my enjoyment has been completely shattered by the occasional background noises .....which sound like glooping water or men muttering. One of your reviewers has enlightened me by pointing out that it is the conductor singing along! It's small consolation to know what these extraneous and hugely distracting sounds actually are as the disc as a whole is spoilt for me. The 3rd movement of the 3rd symphony is "free of noises" and what a great performance it is.
Am I the only one out there to be so irritated in this way? (by the way I remember similar noises from Nigel Kennedy about 20 years ago on a recording,coincidentally,of Sibelius's Violin Concerto)

Talking Heads
Talking Heads
by Alan Bennett
Price: 6.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Talking Heads, 13 Oct 2011
This review is from: Talking Heads (Paperback)
This went straight into my "top ten" best ever reads.
It comes across even better than the excellent TV broadcsts.
The problem is that,after this, so much else seems to pale in comparison.

Stanley Bate Symphony No 3; Erik Chisholm Pictures from Dante; Arnell Robert Flaherty
Price: 23.82

5.0 out of 5 stars stanley bate symphony no 3 etc, 6 April 2010
This is a superb disc from start to finish. I can only agree with everything in the previous excellent and comprehensive reviews.
Full marks must go to Dutton for the work they are doing with British music.
I can't wait to discover more!