Profile for Potty for Romance > Reviews

Content by Potty for Romance

Potty for Romance

The Dangerous Lord (Avon Romantic Treasure)
The Dangerous Lord (Avon Romantic Treasure)
by Sabrina Jeffries
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but missed the mark somehow, 9 Aug 2011
I've read quite a few historical romances where the plot involves the heroine writing articles for some tawdry Regency gossip rag or another....she tends to almost always have something of an obsession with the hero, zeroing in on him and then tormenting the poor man with the sharp inky tip of her quill! Well, Dangerous Lord is no different there except perhaps the obsession part. I really have enjoyed so much of Sabrina Jeffries work and after reading the reviews for Dangerous Lord I thought it was a sure thing....but it just didn't quite hit "the mark".

Our leading man Ian Lennard, Viscount St. Clair, has the all makings of a great romantic hero- he's an intelligent, tall, lean, dark and dangerous war hero who also happens to be wealthy, titled AND half Spanish to boot but he just failed to light my wick for some reason. I feel it was perhaps something in his uninspiring dialogue throughout a lot of the book, his distance from his friends, his overly incensed reaction to Lord X's column, his endless mystery, his almost desperate need for a wife (we know he HAS to marry but come on!) and the fact that you as the reader just don't really get to see his character unfold with any great depth or sparkle and so you can't really develop any empathy for him and it's frustrating when he won't just open up and tell his story when constantly asked to. It's a shame because so much about the writing and the story is really good. The heroine Felicity Taylor is better written than our hero but it's her fabulously eccentric household that constantly brought a smile to my face- her bossy and forthright snowy haired housekeeper, her serious and scholarly twelve year old brother and her three younger brothers...triplets no less, full of energy, imaginative pranks and general boyish mayhem all living together in a griffin adorned Gothic town house! Great!

The development of the couples romance was smooth and made for good reading even if it wasn't always greatly rousing. The first kiss and first love scene were steamy and exciting and I always enjoy a sexy encounter! On the whole the book is quite diverting and enjoyable, it wasn't one that "I just couldn't put down" but more one that "I kept coming back to throughout the day and was happy to pick up"!