Profile for CaptainNeil > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Whomp That Sucker
Whomp That Sucker

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Sparks...I mean marks..., 3 April 2015
This review is from: Whomp That Sucker (Audio CD)
Quite simply brilliant! I'm a latecomer to Sparks but I have to say that Whomp That Sucker (closely followed by the similar sounding Angst In My Pants) is the most consistent and adrenaline inducing of the brothers output to date. I'm into 90's American punk rock but this album has ferrited its way into my brain. Major earworms throughout.
It starts of with the thumping new wave stylings of Tips For Teens and doesn't pause for breath. Witty and ludicrous lyrics throughout for the adults, and the catchiest choruses i've heard. My four year old even loves it...much to his mothers dismay!

Betron B750s Earphones Headphones, High Definition, in-ear, Tangle Free, Noise Isolating , HEAVY DEEP BASS for iPhone, iPod, iPad, MP3 Players, Samsung Galaxy, Nokia, HTC, Nexus, BlackBerry etc (Black)
Offered by Betron Limited ( VAT Registered)

5.0 out of 5 stars the sound quality is the best i've heard, 4 Dec. 2014
Really impressed with the product and the service. Arrived very promptly and sealed-as described. For the price, the sound quality is the best i've heard...even when comparing to my previous, more expensive earphones. Thankfully, the tangle-free cable means a clumsy fellow like myself can listen to music whenever I choose!

Bleak Strategies
Bleak Strategies

5.0 out of 5 stars You're new favourite band...if you like., 11 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Bleak Strategies (Audio CD)
From the moment I heard of this bands inception, I was quite literally giddy as a kipper. As a long term fan of both Willie Dowling (Jackdaw4 one of my favourite bands) and Jon Poole (Cardiacs/God Damn Whores) this combination of both singer/songwriter/multi-instrumentalists was set to be a musical dream team.

This debut album does not disappoint. An eclectic mix of styles from pop-rock, rock n' roll, psychodellic...classic Britiish music at it's best. Fans of Jackdaw4 should know what to expect. So many harmonies and Beach Boys esque melodies thrown in a bag with some White Album Beatles and a little Amphetamine.

Catchy as all hell. I cannot recommend highly enough!

Bipolar Diversions
Bipolar Diversions

5.0 out of 5 stars Bloody Brilliant!, 4 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Bipolar Diversions (Audio CD)
I'm only a recent convert to the band but they appear to have taken over my life at the moment! bought this and their first release 'Gramophone Logic' and I think this one (slightly) beats the debut for my most listened too. Beautifully arranged and executed pop-rock-madness. Lots of latter day Beatles influences evident thrown in a bag with some Beach Boys harmonies and a bit of sugar! (The food product...no sure if there's a band called sugar that folks might get confused with...)

From the albums opener there isn't a weak song on here. Highlights for me are 'Heimlich's Manoeuvres' which puts a grin on my face every time the chorus kicks in as well as the title track...probably more than half the album are favourites for me.

A very British band with a sense of humour. Very sorely missed! Having said that Willie Dowlings latest band 'The Dowling Poole' sound equally exciting and am eagerly awaiting their debut popping through the post and maybe a tour...if enough people get enlightened to an epic songwriter!

Toodlepip,

Devour
Devour

5.0 out of 5 stars A real step up!, 1 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Devour (Audio CD)
Originally penned as a 'Loved Ones' record this is a much fuller band sound than the great Resolutions. Daves vocals are in fine cocaine fuelled fettle and song writing is at the top of his game.

Wrist Slitter
Wrist Slitter

4.0 out of 5 stars Less acoustic then previous..., 1 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Wrist Slitter (Audio CD)
This should please fans of Pryor's solo work, New Amsterdams (one of my favourite bands) and The Get Up Kids. I feel this is more of a grower than the catchy 'Confidence Man' but it has Matts lyrics and style smeared all over it!

Black Hole
Black Hole
by Charles Burns

5.0 out of 5 stars White Solid (is that the opposite?), 1 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Black Hole (Hardcover)
Quite simply; the BEST graphic novel collection I have ever read. I thought nothing could trump Preacher by Garth Ennis but this blew me away. Creepy and disturbing in equal measure. The story line and epic illustrations are a perfect fit. Fans of Burns' previous work will be familiar with his winning art work. Does not disappoint!

Drag the River
Drag the River
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars Back at last, 1 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Drag the River (Audio CD)
A consistently good alt-country band back with a fuller band sound. Gone is the more acoustic sounds from 'Bad at Breaking Up' (my personal favourite) but 10 solid tracks of country tinged with rock. A bit of skiffle thrown in for good measure. Lets just hope they don't leave it for another five years before new stuff!

Midnight At The Movies
Midnight At The Movies

5.0 out of 5 stars Bloody good stuff!, 22 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Midnight At The Movies (Audio CD)
I got introduced through 'harlem river...' which has remained my all time JTE favourite. I am growing fonder of 'Nothings gonna...' with each listen but was initially put off buying anymore following that, thinking Harlem River Blues was a one off. How wrong I was..on first listen to this I was blown away as much as with the aforementioned HRB. Some inspiring guitar, gritty vocals and just plain good americana (with rock laced throughout). A corking copper bottom hit! (As Alan Partridge may say)

No Depression
No Depression

3.0 out of 5 stars Tupelo...and back again, 22 Feb. 2013
This review is from: No Depression (Audio CD)
I'd say this is more 3.5 starts (why amazon...why??!) Obviously, they kickstarted a movement with this record. On first listen I was impressed with the overall sound...don't think the extra tracks on the reissue are needed though...I found myself skipping through them. I feel this may be a grower...influential, loud country with hints of punk (punctry?) but feel there are other artists blazing a better trail-ie-Austin Lucas, Two Cow Garage, Drag The River and American Aquarium.

Page: 1 | 2