Profile for martin_stone > Reviews

Casa Moro: The Second Cookbook
Casa Moro: The Second Cookbook
by Sam Clark and Sam Clark

5.0 out of 5 stars Yum Yum, 4 May 2005
In the first week of owning this book, I cooked 3 meals from it, and now, 6 months later there is barely a week that goes by without a meal either from or influenced by this book.
Most dishes are straightforward to prepare, even easy at times, and little is required outside the ingredients most enthusiastic cooks are likely to have.
I am now very much looking forwards to trying the many light summer dishes after having been on gutsy winter fare so far. Surely a book for all seasons. Prawns and Oyster mushrooms in manzanilla on toast makes for a hard to beat lunch!

Normandy Green Guide (Michelin Green Guides)
Normandy Green Guide (Michelin Green Guides)
by Michelin Travel Publications

2.0 out of 5 stars Could be structured better, 4 May 2005
I diverted from my usual practice of buying Rough Guides with this book on the basis of Amazon customer reviews, and now wished I hadn't.
The content is certainly acceptable and we visted some decent restaurants recommended in the book, but it is the usability that suffers over the Rough Guide. Whereas places in that book are arranged by region, this is arranged alphabetically, making it virtually impossible when out on a day trip, to find other places of interest near to where you are. For that reason alone, I couldn't recommend buying it, and will certainly be sticking to Rough Guides in the future.
Not to mention that had I bought the RG, which also covers Britanny, I would not be having to buy another book for my holiday there this year.

Rick Stein's Seafood
Rick Stein's Seafood
by Rick Stein

5.0 out of 5 stars Currently Britain's best fish writer, 11 Oct 2002
This review is from: Rick Stein's Seafood (Hardcover)
This book is always my first stop when returning from the fishmonger - I own several of Rick's other books including the excellent English Seafood Cookery, but this is definitely the best when you are looking for inspiration - the clear pictures make sure of that.
It is a great book for people wanting to get interested in fish cookery. The comprehensive guide to preparing fish makes gutting and filleting less of a chore and the book contains recipes from quick supper dishes to elegant dinner party dishes including alternative choices of fish - useful for the landlocked like me who have access to a limited range of good fresh fish.
Rick Stein is especially strong on curries - better than most specialist Indian cookery books in my opinion.