Profile for C. Timms > Reviews

Sworn Secret
Sworn Secret
by Amanda Jennings

1.0 out of 5 stars Infantile writing style and a poor plot, 21 Mar 2014
This review is from: Sworn Secret (Paperback)
I had such high expectations for this book. The plot had mystery and intrigue, the reviews were glowing! Honestly it was one of the poorest books I've read in a long time.

Infantile writing style full of seemingly pointless details that add nothing to the pace of the book but bog it down in unneeded details. For example there's a page which is mostly spent talking about the eating of an apple (mentioning the word apple about six times). The same with some of the secondary characters introduced who don't seem to further the plot at all. Lizzie is an unlikeable protagonist and her relationship with Haydn is creepy - some of the writing is cringeworthy to say the least. I found myself more interested in Jon and Daniel's sibling relationship more than anything. I didn't feel the mystery of Anna's death had a satisfactory conclusion and found myself reading the last quarter of the book as fast as possible just to get it over with.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 2, 2014 8:42 PM BST

2k to 10k: Writing Faster, Writing Better, and Writing More of What You Love
2k to 10k: Writing Faster, Writing Better, and Writing More of What You Love

2.0 out of 5 stars Vague advice that isn't very inspiring, 3 Jan 2014
I don't feel like I wasted the small price it cost to download, however I don't think it was a useful or inspiring read.

Perhaps this guide would be more suited to writers of the fantasy genre or those familiar with her work but I found the constant references to her own fiction a little alienating for someone like me who has never read her novels. I suspect this is because this book is based on her blog posts so if you've found her blog you've probably read her novels. I would have liked to be taken through her process with fresh examples so I was on the same journey with her.

Perhaps I'll look again at the editing chapters but I don't think this will motivate me like other books have. It's all very vague and repetative.

Rock Your Plot: A Simple System for Plotting Your Novel (Rock Your Writing Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars So helpful!, 2 Jan 2014
This book is such a bargain! It's easy to read, simple and clear to understand and offers such inspiring and reassuring advice - I think it's a must read for any beginner writer. Some of the advice is basic but it's structured in a really helpful way with fantastic examples. I'll definitely be referring back to it in future.

The Silent Wife
The Silent Wife
by A. S. A. Harrison

2.0 out of 5 stars Two stars is generous, 15 Aug 2013
This review is from: The Silent Wife (Paperback)
I rarely feel compelled to review books but I couldn't stay 'silent' on this one. Lured in by the promise of it being a page turner, the new Gone Girl, I begin eagerly and selected to read it from all my new books. I read and read, hoping that with each chapter a twist or a plot development would occur only to be severely disappointed. The psychobabble didn't add to the interest or enjoyment for me, particularly have studied it for seven years and the childhood revelation seemed tacked on for no real purpose. It took three hundred pages for a significant development and by then I was sick of the cold and dull characters.

Her Fearful Symmetry
Her Fearful Symmetry
by Audrey Niffenegger

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor, 27 Aug 2010
This review is from: Her Fearful Symmetry (Hardcover)
Having adored The Time Traveler's Wife I was looking forward to reading this novel. The writing was good, but that is the only praise I can give. The characters were pretentious and I don't know anyone like them, nor could I imagine anyone behaving the way these characters do. The twist was predictable and without spoiling the plot, the "regeneration" was ridiculous. I felt the supernatural elements weren't handled as well as they could have been and I personally felt bored by the Highgate history padding.

Overall a poor read.

Ghost Stories
Ghost Stories

5.0 out of 5 stars A haunting change, 22 Sep 2006
This review is from: Ghost Stories (Audio CD)
I haven't been a fan of Chantal for very long (another criminally ignored artist here in the UK) but I already love this new CD of hers. It is quite different from the guitar driven and more commercial sounding last album, but it doesn't lack the quality of her previous CDs. Like her other work, the songs are driven by her brilliant piano playing but the use of strings in this album is very fitting and works well - especially on the eerie sounding "Ghosts of You" which is one of my favourite tracks.

Perhaps it is not as easy to get into on first listen like her last album 'What If It All Means Something' and this is more experimental - some of the songs on the album change style during - but this is still great alt-pop. The single 'All I Can Do' is probably the most pop driven song on the album, but the catchy 'Wonderful' is my personal favourite.

I'd reccommend this album to anyone who already likes her music, or powerful female singers such as Fiona Apple or Nerina Pallot. I'd highly reccommend Chantal Kreviazuk's earlier album 'Colour Moving Still' too.