Profile for M. Tiffney > Reviews

Content by M. Tiffney

M. Tiffney "Merlin vdm" (Glasgow Scotland)

Page: 1 | 2
Now You See Me [Blu-ray]
Now You See Me [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Jesse Eisenberg

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than it first appears (and it first appears great), 10 Aug 2013
This review is from: Now You See Me [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Saw this movie in the cinema and can't wait for it to come out on Bluray.

I had watched a number of reviews on YouTube and read a few online and for the most part the reviews were positive as they focused on the entertainment value (which is fantastic) and the acting (which is top notch). Where most criticism is coming from is either the final twist or that the tricks and illusions are too 'OTT' as to be unbelievable.

With regards the latter, every single trick in the movie is explainable and does actually work. The chances are most of it was done for real (as in as a mechanical special effect rather than CGI) but the over the top nature is required for the film's plot. It is visually spectacular and whilst the character development isn't overly deep, it is sufficient to drive the plot where it needs to go and make it understandable.

As for the final twist, it is complicated, but that does not make it over the top or ridiculous. It took some serious thinking about afterwards and a lot of discussion, but actually it all makes sense.

There is only one part of the whole thing that defies logic and that is the bit by the tree & what then happens with the tarot cards, but that is more symbolic than anything and I can happily give that a pass. The rest of it is just too good.

Jessie Eisenberg excels in his role (which I really didn't think was going to suit him), Woody Harrelson is in a roll he is probably more comfortable with, but pulls of one of his best performances, Isla Fisher I'd say is the weakest 'character' but she fits and plays her part, plus she looks stunning, and that's no bad thing & Dave Franco, who seems to be the one getting the most criticism, has one of the best scenes in the movie. Mark Ruffalo, Michael Caine & Morgan Freeman all put in the sterling jobs you would expect of them these days (though the latter 2 are perhaps a little underused).

So the visuals are great, the acting is great, the story keeps you on your toes and although fanciful is actually plausible.

But most of all it keeps you thinking about it long after you've finished watching. Like any good magic show, you get caught out time and again, but when it gets to the finale, it goes somewhere you really weren't expecting and is so complicated that most people just wont spend the time to put the pieces together.

A great magic trick, that looks simple, may actually be so complicated that the solution is never considered as the audience don't believe anyone would go to that level of effort for a trick. And I think modern day story telling is so generally lazy, spelling out everything to the audience as if they are idiots, that when someone puts something complicated like this together, people just see the complication and assume it doesn't fit and is just the to be OTT.

I recommend this film greatly. I went in expecting good and I got spectacular. And the great thing about it is, I believe multiple viewings will only make it better and better.

Winmau Vendetta 80% Tungsten Steel Tip Darts Set - 26 Grams
Winmau Vendetta 80% Tungsten Steel Tip Darts Set - 26 Grams

1.0 out of 5 stars What is this designed for then?, 27 Aug 2012
I own a small training studio to the West of Glasgow and not long after opening I started buying in a few medicine balls.

The first 10kg ball I ordered was a leather one. I already wrote a review on that, but the problem was, they didn't send the one I had ordered they sent me, what they called, an upgrade. But from day 1 there was sand coming out of the stitching every time it was dropped and it never held its shape. (over £40 down the drain)

So when buying a new one I thought a rubber one with no seams would be the better option. It is called an Ironman ball, suggesting it is tough and up for anything. The primary use for this ball, for us, is either exercises where it is held to add weight or a chest or shoulder throw. For a shoulder throw the ball is thrown straight up as if performing a shoulder press, but with such acceleration that it travels out your hands and high into the air. The weight allow for the muscle to contract at full speed without risk of injury and also, being heavy, it doesn't go very high in the air before dropping on the floor.

If the ball is ever used for slams (which is extremely rare) it is done onto a crash mat to absorb the impact. Not that I was worried about the ball integrity anyway (after all it's an 'Ironman' ball) but to dull the noise on impact. So that shouldn't be an issue anyway.

Last week one of our clients was performing the overhead throw and the ball was landing on the floor, he then muffled the bounce and performed a modified burpee on it before repeating. However, on one throw there was a 'pop' sound and the ball split straight across the line of the valve. It wasn't a huge split and just meant it didn't bounce so high, so he kept going, but with every throw the split got bigger, so a few reps later he stopped.

I contacted the company and the reply I got was that this ball wasn't designed to be bounced or thrown against the ground and so no refund would be offered.

So if it is not designed for on overhead throw or to be bounced, what is this rubber 10KG ball designed for exactly?

Ironman? I don't think so.

Maybe it should be called an ornamental Medicine ball?

Interestingly about 2 weeks ago I was close to ordering the 8kg version of this ball with the idea of buying every weight in the range eventually. But clearly they are not designed to be used for training.

I have therefore ordered another ball from another company.

If the idea is just to use this balls for crunches etc. then firstly why bother, there are better ways to work your abs. But even so, just buy one of the ones with the handle grips. I specifically avoided those because I wanted to throw the ball and for it not to go bouncing off in weird directions and I do not intend to ask people to catch a 10kg ball and risk a sprained wrist.

So, whilst I thought this was a reasonable product when I got it, it has lasted just over 2 months which is really poor value for money IMO.

I'd therefore suggest avoiding this ball.

Blitz Sport Leather Medicine Ball 10KG
Blitz Sport Leather Medicine Ball 10KG
Offered by Instock Retail

2.0 out of 5 stars Not what I ordered and not the upgrade described, 17 April 2012
I thought I'd submitted a review on this already, but I'm being prompted again.

Essentially I ordered a Blitz 10Kg medicine ball, but received a call saying that ball was mistakenly advertised but they had one that was also 10kg but more expensive and they were willing to give me it for the same price. I thought a 10kg ball is a 10kg ball, so ok.

However, what I received was an almost ball shaped sand filled thing. It is certainly not spherical and due to the sand, changes shape whenever it is moved. It obviously has no inner lining as when you drop it puffs of sand come flying out of the stitching. So my 10kg ball is probably more like a 9kg ball by now and in a few months will probably be more like a 2kg pancake.

I gave it 2 stars because I can use it for some things. It's not ideal, but it does get used. My original intention was to buy several of them (I own a small gym) at various weights over time. But I now feel my next purchase will again be a 10kg ball to get one that is and remains 10kg and is in fact ball shaped.

Human Body Cube
Human Body Cube
Offered by Just Childsplay

4.0 out of 5 stars Good in the end, 15 Jan 2011
= Durability:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Human Body Cube (Toy)
I ordered this as a Christmas Present for someone doing a fitness industry exam this year in order to help learn the muscles and bones of the body.

When it arrived it was the wrong cube. What I received was a cube for vowel sounds (no use at all). However, when I wrote to complain, the customer service couldn't have been better. They sent out the correct item first class (which arrived on Christmas eve) and was told to keep the original item if it was any use to me. (So I gave it to a school for children with learning disabilities that my sister works with).

As for the item itself, it is what I thought it would be and it was a present so I haven't used it myself. But it does seem ideal as a quick reference.

So pretty good product, but (all too uniquely, given that I am still waiting for another Christmas item ordered over a month ago from another company) fantastic customer service and a company I'd highly rate.

Life Season 1 [DVD]
Life Season 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Damian Lewis

5.0 out of 5 stars American networks suck!, 28 Jun 2009
This review is from: Life Season 1 [DVD] (DVD)
I don't know why I bother!

I try to avoid getting invested in new series as I don't like the idea of being hooked to my couch for another hour per week. But, every now and then I'll catch something or be told about something that peaks my interest.

As there has been a lot of great American series' lately with British actors in the leading role (House & Lie to me featuring highly on that list) I decided to check out another - Life.

I won't go into the ins and outs of the story, there are plenty of reviews already on that. But, I will point out that, after the grit of the aforementioned House & Lie to me it took me a few episodes to feel this was up to par. But after about the third episode I was leaving each episode desperate to see the next (which is why I always get these things on DVD now or download them now). By the end of season 1 I was completely hooked and had to get a hold of season 2.

Getting to the end of that my wife and I were both keen to find out when season 3 was going to be coming out only to find to our horror that NBC have cancelled it!

Apparently they are focusing more on the 'reality TV' genre. Morons!

So unless another network decides to pick this fantastic series up, I'd suggest it may be worth avoiding if unresolved plots annoy you.

I can't understand these American networks. The last time I got really invested in a series it was Shark. Again, 2 series and cancelled. The thing is, they make these things where the first seasons are fairly well tied up (in a way) but once they get the 2nd they finish the story more confident they will have a third season to run the plot, so cancelling it then is extremely frustrating.

Usually with these things it is due to ratings, but it is normally (as with Shark) due to the network moving the viewing time all over the place and putting it up against high rating series like American idol etc.

In this case apparently NBC shifted the schedule time a lot and put it on at very low viewing times (late on a Wednesday night etc) yet the viewing figures still grew. So what gives?

Anyway, this is just a warning. The series is really great, but it might be worth waiting to see if another network is sensible enough to pick it up before investing time and money to an unresolved story.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 27, 2010 4:58 PM GMT

Polar Bear Alive
Polar Bear Alive

3.0 out of 5 stars Very cute, but noisey and doesn't always react., 15 Feb 2009
This review is from: Polar Bear Alive (Toy)
I got this for my wife to try and satisfy her wish for a puppy (she wanted a bear after watching Golden Compass).

She found it adorable for a few days, but it doesn't react correctly. It should go to sleep if you lie it on its back, but it only does this about 30% of the time.

After a while of non use it will switch off automatically. That's good for the batteries, but when you want it to work again you have to rip its fur open and reset it which takes away a lot of the realism.

Also, when it moves you can hear the motors moving, which again detracts quite a lot.

All it it is cute, but probably not worth the money.

Scart Male to Female Extension Cable Lead 5m
Scart Male to Female Extension Cable Lead 5m

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what was required, 15 Feb 2009
Needed an extension. Tried an adaptor first to allow a 2nd scart lead to attach and the picture was awful. Got this instead and it works just fine.

1001Cables - Scart Coupler Extension Cable Female to Female Socket
1001Cables - Scart Coupler Extension Cable Female to Female Socket
Offered by Consoletronic Ltd

1.0 out of 5 stars Useless, 15 Feb 2009
I wanted to be able to extend the scart lead at the back of my plasma which is run through the wall for a hidden fixing to my sky plus box. Got this as I have tons of scart leads with little use these days.

The picture split and rolled as a result. Totally useless! I bought an extension lead instead and it worked fine.

iRiver Clix 2 Carrying Case & Arm Band
iRiver Clix 2 Carrying Case & Arm Band

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than most, but not perfect, 15 Feb 2009
This is one of the better arm bands I've come across. It is a robust flexible and easily adjustable strap and secures the iriver nicely.

That said, I am now on my 2nd one as the first broke after only a few months. The reason being, I wear it to the gym and when working my arms they expand and I have to loosen the band after each set. It then gets to the point where there is no more give. At the end of one such workout I then tried to take the strap off and the plastic clip snapped at the hinge.

With my new one I only wear it for running or days I am not working my arms and use the supplied clip to attach to my top on arm days.

All in it's a good buy. A little more length on the strap would be useful and if the clip was metal rather than plastic it would be ideal.

Toshiba  HDDR320E03E 320GB 2.5-Inch Ext USB Hard Drive
Toshiba HDDR320E03E 320GB 2.5-Inch Ext USB Hard Drive

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as it looks, but not bad., 15 Feb 2009
I bought this hard drive partially for storage and part for its looks. Each size drive has a different colour pattern and I thought I'd get each one in the range for different genres (320GB for Avi & mpgs, 250GB for General storage & 160GB for music - I notice now they have a bigger one with a white pattern).

It arrived heavily packaged, though a bit bashed, very well protected (took about 15mins to get through it all and to the device itself).

It does look quite sleek and very portable, but the finish is much more plastic than appears on the photos.

One of the other features I wanted was the lack of need for an adaptor so I could move it around between my home PC, Xbox, laptop or work pc. However, the supplied USB cable is tiny (about 10cm) and it doesn't seem to work through an extension or with a different cable. So with tower cases I have to crawl in behind to attach & remove it.

That said, it seems pretty quick and it does what I need it to do. If it had a longer cable or could use any cable I'd have given it 4 stars and the other star is just for the plastic finish.

All in though pretty good and I may still get the others.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 17, 2009 10:19 PM BST

Page: 1 | 2