Profile for Steve Allison > Reviews

Content by Steve Allison

Steve Allison (Bucharest, Romania)

Speccy Nation
Speccy Nation
Price: 1.02

3.0 out of 5 stars Potted history of Speccy games - some I never heard of, 27 Mar 2014
This review is from: Speccy Nation (Kindle Edition)
Not bad - a harmless little read. After the first few games described (the obvious blockbusters like Manic Miner) it quickly drifted off into games I'd never heard of (and I didn't think there were any). As the main point of this book is nostalgia, well, it faded. There's no nostalgia if you don't remember it in the first place. But as a quick primer in what made games good, back in the day when games WERE good, it's fine.

RETRO BLOCK SILICONE SKIN CASE ORANGE FOR IPHONE 4S 4G WITH SCREEN PROTECTOR
RETRO BLOCK SILICONE SKIN CASE ORANGE FOR IPHONE 4S 4G WITH SCREEN PROTECTOR

4.0 out of 5 stars My 13 year old loved it., 10 Aug 2013
That's all that matters. Cool and fun. And slightly rubbery which is good, because the phone can't fall from your pocket, and bad because you need to take a tin opener to your jeans every time it rings. The 2 coloured bricks can be taken off and moved around - to make a lens cap for the camera, for instance.

Bedlam
Bedlam
Price: 4.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting twist on the whole Tron / Electric Dreams idea of 'living inside a computer'., 10 Aug 2013
This review is from: Bedlam (Kindle Edition)
Probably one for the computer gaming geeks because if you're not familiar with the terminology then some of the detail might be lost. Cool story but - I can't remember the ending, even though I only finished it a week ago, and I re-read the last 10 pages. This is because in my opinion it doesn't end. It's like he realised he only had one paragraph left to wrap the whole thing up in. Not one of Brookmyre's best, but still very good all the same.

Never Mind the Balkans, Here's Romania
Never Mind the Balkans, Here's Romania
Price: 3.08

4.0 out of 5 stars Gently funny, foreigner's view of living in Romania (10 years ago), 10 Aug 2013
It's different here now but not THAT different, so many of the stories in this book will still ring true. I read it after having lived in Bucharest for 10 years so it read like a nostalgia trip for me. Not sure if it's quite the same if you've never been here.

Jaggy Splinters
Jaggy Splinters
Price: 1.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Just a few short stories ..., 26 Mar 2013
This review is from: Jaggy Splinters (Kindle Edition)
Which is why it's so cheap. But nicely written - the one about the boys burgling the mansion fair creeped me out. Lovely stuff.

Rising Damp - Complete Collection [DVD]
Rising Damp - Complete Collection [DVD]
Dvd ~ Leonard Rossiter
Price: 8.30

5.0 out of 5 stars It's Rising Damp!, 3 Dec 2012
They don't make them like this any more... Remember when ITV used to do good comedy shows? What went wrong there?
This is just classic and while it cowers in the shadow of Fawlty Towers (like everything else from the period) it probably doesn't need to - it's fabulous in its own right.

Going to Sea in a Sieve: The Autobiography
Going to Sea in a Sieve: The Autobiography
Price: 5.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Ripping Yarns, 3 Dec 2012
Full Disclosure: I think Danny Baker is the greatest thing on the radio and is indeed the reason Marconi legged it down the patent office all those years ago.

Shame on you BBC for cancelling the Treehouse.

OK - to the book. It's kind of exactly what I expected it to be - which is a good thing. Stories told in the same style Danny uses on the radio, and it fairly skips along. If you like the show (and the man) then you'll like the book. I'm about a quarter through and I'm stealing every spare minute to get it finished. Then I'll probably start it again.

Dublin Express
Dublin Express
Price: 1.88

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad - certainly short, 24 Oct 2012
This review is from: Dublin Express (Kindle Edition)
I bought this thinking it would be a handy, bite-sized way to consume Bateman, who I have recently discovered and like a lot.

The stories are nice, and some interesting ideas, but in the short story format I sense a dilemma - develop the characters and ideas, or just get to the point.

I guess I'm not a fan of the short story format - but if you are - it's fine.

And yes - Mrs Greary's leather trousers was already in a book I'd read before. It does work well as a stand-alone piece though.

John Peel - A Tribute
John Peel - A Tribute
Offered by FUNTIME MEDIA
Price: 3.82

5.0 out of 5 stars My life flashes before my eyes (or ears), 2 Nov 2005
This review is from: John Peel - A Tribute (Audio CD)
I haven't actually listened to this yet (I just now added it to my basket). But from 40 tracks I know 35 and love 30. It's like my whole life just whizzed by me - just reading the track listings takes me on a rollercoaster ride of memories and impressions.
I have only one question: No Ivor Cutler?