Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer (Bathgate)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Private L.A.: (Private 7)
Private L.A.: (Private 7)

4.0 out of 5 stars I liked it. James Patterson and Mark Sullivan have hit ..., 18 Sept. 2014
A fast-flowing multi-strand thriller from the offices of Private.....back in LA with Jack. I liked it. James Patterson and Mark Sullivan have hit on a winning formula and milking the cash cow taking us around the world in the process. Next stop India and Vegas

Next to Die
Next to Die

5.0 out of 5 stars Another winner, 18 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Next to Die (Kindle Edition)
I've now read all Neil White's novels to date and I was very much absorbed in this latest thriller. We're introduced to new protagonists in the shape of criminal lawyer Joe Parker and his detective brother Sam. An area that has been used before but to well effect as you can tell the author knows that environment inside out. The Manchester setting is so well described you can picture it clearly in your mind and genuinely feel the realism of the surroundings and today's Britain. I look forward to Joe and Sam's return.

Scratch My Back/And I'll Scratch Yours
Scratch My Back/And I'll Scratch Yours

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting interpretations, 1 Nov. 2013
This could prove difficult to review given the two distinct companion albums packaged together. Although Scratch My Back has been around for a few years it is new to me and I can approach it from a fresh perspective. Taking this one first I have to agree with other reviewers that it deserves a few listens before it is truly appreciated. And appreciate it I did. Like any album some tracks are better than others and mostly depends on your personal taste (and on this occasion whether you are particularly attached to the original versions). Standouts for me here are The Listening Wind, The Power of the Heart and The Book of Love although I can appreciate the re-interpretation of Heroes and The Boy in the Bubble. Gabriel's clear rich vocals giving a new depth to the familiar and making the listener properly hear the words that might not be as clear in the original cut versions. I still have this in my car and continue to enjoy it.
And I'll Scratch Yours is an interesting concept but, for me, a bit more hit and miss. I think this is largely down to a familarity with Peter Gabriel's originals and if you like Gabriel's originally conceived version it may prove difficult to appreciate the more left-field re-interpretations such as Lou Reed's Solsbury Hill and Feist's Don't Give Up. The tracks I enjoy most are David Byrne's I Don't Remember, Regina Spektor's Blood of Eden and Elbow's Mercy Street. Polarity of opinion is perhaps unavoidable and what some like others won't and vice versa. A good idea by Peter Gabriel for artists to reciprocate and for that a welcome change to the usual churned-out covers.

The Goya Enigma
The Goya Enigma

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, 1 Nov. 2013
This review is from: The Goya Enigma (Kindle Edition)
I had this book on my Kindle for a while and hadn't got round to reading it. Being stuck on the rush hour train from Manchester I delved into my phone to see what I could read and came across Unearthing the Bones. I was immediately drawn in and after finishing this short story (& taster for the main event)I launched straight into Memory of Bones. A great read. The Goya angle was fascinating and, like other reviewers, I felt compelled to read up on Goya from other sources. Alex Connor obviously knows her stuff and it certainly doesn't feel like somebody has done some quick research for a book. You feel that the author is also immersed in art and its mysteries. Having reviewed Alex Connor before I mentioned the freshness of the Art World as a backdrop for the genre and I continue to enjoy the writing and setting. An interesting journey between Madrid, London and New York and the enigma of Goya and the Black Paintings. I had to suspend belief at one point when I felt frustration at Ben not involving the police when his character to that point suggested he should. However his actions better served the plot and suspense and for that I can forgive this.

One point I'd like to make (and I've made this before on other reviews) is that I noticed errors in the print of the Kindle version. Are these not properly proof read? Just a minor annoyance and not to take anything away from the great writing by Alex Connor. I'll be reading more of these.

Inferno: (Robert Langdon Book 4)
Inferno: (Robert Langdon Book 4)

3.0 out of 5 stars It's a Dan Brown novel, 20 Sept. 2013
Dan Brown's an easy target. To be fair, people like to criticise and many have commented on whether his books are actually well written or not. It's a matter of opinion but I'm sure we would all like to be as commercially successful as him!
Other writers have taken this genre and done it better but a new Robert Langdon novel still seems to capture the imagination. I still enjoy the journey we're taken on especially if you've happened to visit any of the locations described in the book. The descriptions can sometimes go beyond the necessary narrative and can feel jarring at times. I also think there wasn't the need to use so much Italian in dialogue. It felt a bit like showing off and didn't necessarily lend itself to the story. We're in Italy - we get it. Also things like the frecciargento trains. Why not say it once and then call it a train!
Plot-wise it felt very familiar - Langdon assisted by a younger female trying to decipher clues to a location. Having said that an interesting plot-twist does turn things upside down. The ending was a bit of a let-down after the build-up and didn't seem to quite satisfy. Langdon himself does seem a bit over familiar these days and thanks to the movie adaptations I can only picture Tom Hanks.
Nothing earth-shatteringly new here but still entertaining.

Merry Christmas, Alex Cross: (Alex Cross 19)
Merry Christmas, Alex Cross: (Alex Cross 19)

4.0 out of 5 stars A book of two halves, 26 July 2013
We return to the familiar Alex Cross preparing for Christmas with his family knowing full well that he's not going to get the peaceful Christmas they're all wishing for. What we get are two distinct stories that would each stand alone. First of all we have a hostage situation which is done and dusted half way through the book with Cross the hero of the day. Before the day's out we return to a character from a previous book - Hala al Dossari - a terrorist hell-bent on attacking the US. The link is obviously how Cross is spending his Christmas but it feels like a completely different book and I wonder if the stories - especially the latter - would've been better served being fleshed out and on their own. I'm also not a fan of the family interludes with Nana Mama etc and normally can't wait to get past these and back to the action. Having said this, as ever they're well written and I'm quite sure we'll be seeing a lot more of Alex Cross as the franchise continues.

NYPD Red
NYPD Red

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Patterson, 15 July 2013
This review is from: NYPD Red (Kindle Edition)
There's an immediate familiarity to the book - in style, pace and characterisation - that is typically James Patterson but that's not such a bad thing. If you like James Patterson - and many do, myself included - you'll like this. Definitely a potential new series which feels like a cross between Private and Michael Bennett. I'm in for more.....

The Zero Game
The Zero Game
by Brad Meltzer

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Meltzer's best, 25 Jun. 2013
This review is from: The Zero Game (Paperback)
I must confess to have read Brad Meltzer's books somewhat out of sequence and I'm inclined to like his more recent ones better than his earlier ones. My reviews are perhaps influenced by the fact that I know he can write better. Whilst I found it entertaining and fast-paced I enjoyed other books better and have to review it on this basis. It was ok but no Book of Lies or Inner Circle. I'm glad to see that his work has developed. Readable but disposable

Private Berlin: (Private 5)
Private Berlin: (Private 5)

4.0 out of 5 stars Private around the globe, 25 Jun. 2013
It seems like there are endless possibilities for Private storylines in varying locations around the world and the James Patterson juggernaut continues on with another successful series. Berlin was a good choice with the chequered German history and a fractured city providing a rich vein of material to draw from. Some interesting plotting and delving into the past to provide answers. Where will Private open an office next? ....Australia it is then...........

The Armada Legacy (Ben Hope, Book 8)
The Armada Legacy (Ben Hope, Book 8)

4.0 out of 5 stars Back to form, 25 Jun. 2013
After being a wee bit disappointed with Ben Hope's last outing I'm happy to report this was a return to form. Thoroughly enjoyed it and I continue to like the central character who is not without his flaws. I liked the divergence into Belfast and can't help thinking this might be a good idea for a future storyline given Hope's military past. I wait with anticipation for the next instalment.....

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4