Profile for Susanne > Reviews

Content by Susanne

Susanne (England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Mr. Beams MB980 Battery-Operated Indoor/Outdoor Motion-Sensing LED Ceiling Light 100 lumens, White

5.0 out of 5 stars like some others it took us 2/3 weeks before they ..., 31 Oct 2014
We've been using 2 of these for over a year now; like some others it took us 2/3 weeks before they settled down (or rather we tried different batteries before settling on long lasting rechargeable batteries). We use them downstairs in the hallway and on top of the landing - a good spread of light. They are really useful as you go up and down stairs not having to switch the lights on and off and I'm sure it's saved a fair bit of money over the dark nights. I've just ordered, received and already using Mr Beams step lights for use in the bathroom (handy if anyone gets up) and one around the corner on the landing itself.
We're very impressed, that's why we've bought more - if there are any blackouts this winter, I'll be buying more!

Pat a Cake, Make and Shake: Make and Play Your Own Musical Instruments (Songbooks)
by Sue Nicholls
Edition: Audio CD

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy Action Songs For Children, 3 Oct 2013
This is a collection of action songs - lots using instruments (real or homemade), but you can adapt and use other things. At our Pre-school we use large chiffon scarves to 'Flip Flap Flop', and claves and scrapers to 'Pudding and Pie'. There are songs for celebrations such as Dragon Dancing' and 'Fireworks' and lots of other fun songs such as 'Dinosaur Parade'. Billy Goat's Gruff is the whole story in a song. All songs are followed by an instrumental of the track, so you can sing or dance to your own version.

The tracks are as follows:

Flip Flap Flop
Mrs Washalot's Washing Day
Dragon Dance
All Abroad the Pirate's Ship
Shake Up!

The children love singing and dancing and it's always good to find something new and enjoyable to dance to.

Grunwerg 3 Cup Double Walled Cafetière Plunger coffee maker - 18/10 stainless steel
Offered by Bin Babe

5.0 out of 5 stars Robust & Good Spout for Pouring, 15 Aug 2013
I have been using glass coffee pots for 40 years, using a Cona on the stove until the more convenient cafetieres were available. Having broken/cracked 2 glass cafetieres I decided I'd buy stainless steel from now on. I bought this same style and make but the 8 cup/4 large mugs size (for when we have company) first in Feb 2013.

This style of cafetiere pours well and doesn't dribble, the double walled skin keeps coffee hot for you to have a second cup and is robust enough when I (or my husband) wash it out without fear of breaking it.

I've now bought a 6 cup/3 mugs version in Nov 2013, so I have three solid cafeteires in different sizes for company, for my husband and I and myself. Very pleased with my choice.

The Hairy Dieters Eat for Life: How to Love Food, Lose Weight and Keep it Off for Good! (Hairy Bikers)
by Hairy Bikers

5.0 out of 5 stars As Brilliant as the First Book., 15 Aug 2013
I've made a lot of recipes from the hairy dieters first book and some have become our firm favourites. I just needed more! I'm so pleased they have written this second book full of more recipes.

The hard work of ensuring everything is low fat using ingredients such as Crème Fraiche etc.; then taking away some of this by replacing it with water and getting the correct blend of herbs and spices for taste has been done for us. I first used their curry recipe and gave it to my family for dinner, after we'd eaten it, I told them it was a low fat version. They had enjoyed it just as much and had no idea (and were surprised) that the fat content was replaced. We've always used that recipe since, and in this second book there are plenty more curry recipes to choose from.

Eat For Life is laid out simply, clearly and with a picture of each meal.
Chapters are:
SNACKS & SALADS
SOMETHING SWEET
ALONG SIDES
WHAT YOU GET FOR 100 CALORIES

Those sections include recipes such as Family Favourites, Something Sweet such as Nectarine Tart or Chocolate, Orange & Cranberry Biscotti.
Meals with Mates including Moroccan-style Chicken with Vegetable Coucous or Beef Stoganoff and another section on more Fab Fakeaways - with lots of different curries, Chinese food, Egg fried rice, Doner kebabs, Jerk Chicken etc. Real Fast FOOD includes dishes: 5 Minute Pizza, Fast Chicken Fajitas+ more. Family Favourites include: Pan Haggity Lite, Veggie Bean Burgers, Liver & Bacon with Onion gravy (looks delicious), Spicy Pork & Rice and so on.

There's also new sections such as 'Along Sides' that accompany your meal such as rice, pasta and potatoes in various ways, so you can make them along with one of the main dishes and still know how much you are eating health wise. There's a new section called 'What you get for 100 calories' which is a list of other food, snacks or drinks that you may want to have alongside whatever you are eating - wherever.

The Tuna Salad with Red Onions & Beans was lovely and the Low Fat Fruit Tea Loaf is really moist.

If you've been thinking about buying one of the Hairy Bikers Dieters books, I'd highly recommend both books. If you have the first book, you will want the second. Si and Dave have expanded on the first book giving us so much good choice and plenty of variety making meals that were once calorie laden healthy and taste absolutely delicious!

P.S. It's really nice having something sweet after the main course and after making the nectarine tart (only 173 calories)I wondered why I hadn't thought of such as simple idea with the filo pastry. Still having nectarines over, I made a slightly different version adding raspberries and omitting the marzipan. I shall now be adjusting this by varying it with perhaps apples & raisins etc whilst keeping an eye on the calories. I may be able to lose a few pounds now I've found something sweet to satisfy me after a meal.

WMA Slimming Trimming Tummy Waist Shaper Wrap Belt
WMA Slimming Trimming Tummy Waist Shaper Wrap Belt
Offered by Price Dropped UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Support for Back + Holding in Tummy, 1 Aug 2013
A friend gave me hers after she had slimmed down and toned her stomach muscles up. I have been using it as a back support for sciatica for the last couple of weeks. I personally found it to help, what I also noticed was that without trying I have lost 3lb over that time and my tummy is far flatter - a nice bonus as I'm not one to exercise. My sciatica has 'passed' now but I think I shall continue to wear it awhile longer to see if I can lose a little more.

It's very comfortable to wear and no one noticed that I was wearing the belt. I've bought a second one so I can hand wash one whilst wearing the other. They do get a bit sweaty, which is what they are designed to do if you exercise. My friend exercised whilst wearing hers and got very good results (hence passing it onto to me!). Others have mentioned a strong smell on opening the packet, it does a little but I just hung it out on the line for awhile and after hand washing it, it was just like the old one I have (no smell). I tend to try and pull and Velcro it as tightly as possible (for support or for your level of sweating fat off?) and then move the join around to the back, just make sure the material top and bottom are level so you don't have the Velcro scratching you - as it is quite 'rough'.

I bought mine from Whosave and it was just as the picture shows -just as it should be, not flimsy as someone else said, so I'm very pleased and for under £3 including postage, I'm even happier.

World Alive Butterfly Kit
World Alive Butterfly Kit

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Visibility - Clear View of Butterflies, 11 Jun 2013
This review is from: World Alive Butterfly Kit (Toy)
My Preschool have been ordering caterpillar kits (Painted Ladies) from Insectlore for many, many years. The first kit we ordered was the cardboard box version - not too bad, but it's only good for a year really. You may be lucky to use it for a second year, but the sugar solution you feed the butterflies makes it sticky and the cardboard is useless then. We used cardboard for the first few years, but it was expensive.

We then decided to order a net tube and have used that for a number of years. It is durable (we still have it) but only the top is clear, too high for children to see through (we normally put it on a table so it is not disturbed too much)but the net obscures the view and they cannot see as much as when we had the cardboard box.

Also the top clear circle pane only unzips halfway. Every year we have a struggle opening it enough to sellotape the lid of the caterpillar food/transporting pot. When the caterpillars get to a certain size ready for the pupa stage they make their way up to the lid and hang from it. They must remain in this position in their new home - box or net tube. Try keeping the caterpillars (which are hanging on a delicate 'thread') intact whilst trying to open up the semi-circle opening and sellotaping the lid in such a small space.

When I saw this World Alive 'temporary Butterfly home' on Amazon it looked as if they had combined the clearer view of the cardboard box with the durability of the net tube without (hopefully)the problems.

We've now received it and it does appear to do the above without the problems. The zip around the top of the box opens virtually all the way around -hopefully making it easier to sellotape the container lid: the box has three clear vision panels, one on top and two side panels, the other two side panels are net for air.
The caterpillars are arriving very soon, so after we've homed and released the butterflies, I'll update this with our findings.

Another thing we found benefical was to buy a plastic sugar solution holder (from Insectlore) it's in the shape of a leaf with red felt 'flowers'. It has a tiny butterfly on it that you lift, pour your sugar solution in and the red felt flowers soak it all up, the butterflies feed from them and there is no spillage or stickiness in the Butterfly environment for that first day or two they have to live there.

Unlike some buyers, I'm not interested in the tweezers etc or buying cabbage white caterpillars (perhaps that is expensive and a bad deal), but I've been looking and waiting for something like this to come onto the market to house the catepillars/butterflies and for all the children to have a good view of everything.

UPDATE August 2013

Our pot of caterpillars arrived and when the time came to transport them (on the lid) to the new Butterfly home, it was so much easier. Children spent longer watching them(now they could see better)and we were lucky enough to see 4 out of the 5 emerging (one emerged during the night). They had their food in place and we also put in fresh pineapple and banana pieces in which they appeared to enjoy more than the sugar solution on the 'flower' feeder. When we released them, it was fortunate for children (and the butterflies) that it was warm and sunny. We placed the housing box on the grass, opened the lid (to keep it open we taped it) and managed to watch them for quite some time before they ventured off. We'd released one a couple of days earlier and four together - when they had all had sufficient time to dry and feed (we never keep them more than a day and half)before releasing them to the wild asap.

Le Toy Van Folding Scooter Blue
Le Toy Van Folding Scooter Blue

5.0 out of 5 stars Robust fold-away scooters, easy to store., 13 Feb 2013
We have 8 scooters at our preschool setting- 4 scooters are five years old and still going strong, the other 4 are 3 years old. We bought the second four scooters when they were half price as 'cross-overs' if the others broke, but they are all still going strong.

They are packaged folded so there is a tiny bit of assembly to do so everything is tight and not loose. The scooters are supplied with an allan key to tighten joints and wheels so they are not loose. There is a technique in pulling the front post up and over to get the wheel to click into position and I found this hard when we first bought them; but like everything, the more you use them, the easier they become to put together. Getting them down to pack away is easier.

If a parent is thinking of buying one of these scooters for a small garden, I think they would be suitable for a child or two; but outdoor use on grass or tarmac is not ideal for an early years setting when you may have 20-30 children forever picking it up and using it. Having said that they are robust (none of ours have broken) and our scooters are more or less the same colours as when we bought them. The paint may have faded on the handles, but this is expected with the use ours gets.

All in all, the children love these scooters and I would buy or replace them when needs be.

Elli & Raff Giraffe Soft Plush Baby Comfort Blanket 0+
Elli & Raff Giraffe Soft Plush Baby Comfort Blanket 0+
Offered by Super.Deals

5.0 out of 5 stars Just the Right Size & Cute Enough to Love., 18 Oct 2012
I bought this for pre-school use. I have noticed in the last couple of years that these types of comforters seem to be very popular whether a young child is about to take a nap or just to comfort them.

Raff Giraffe has a lovely soft feel with a delicate sounding 'tinkling' rattle in the head.
On receiving Raff Giraffe it was used the very next day when a child had left their comforter at home.

It really is lovely and just the right size for their hands and 'cute' enough for them to 'love.' Whilst looking for one I didn't want one too big - some have very stiff upright bodies. This comforter has been tested for those it is designed for! They love it.

1 Compatible Set of 4 XL Printer Ink Cartridges to replace T1306 (4 Inks) - Black / Cyan / Magenta / Yellow for use in Epson Stylus Office B42WD, BX525WD, BX535WD, BX535WD, BX630FW, BX635FWD, BX925FWD, BX935FWD, SX525WD, SX535WD, SX620FW & WorkForce WF-3010DW, WF-3520DWF, WF-3530DTWF, WF-3540DTWF, Pro WF-7015, WF-7515, WF-7525 ***High Capacity - XL***
Offered by Go Inks

5.0 out of 5 stars Ink Cartridges Recognised by Laptop and Printer, 4 Sep 2012
I was very wary about buying inks that were not from Epson for my Epson SW535WD printer as many years ago I had tried 'refilled' cartridges on an older Epson printer. I was forever being told that the computer/laptop didn't recognise the cartridge and I should check things out every time I wanted to print and it didn't acknowledge the ink levels when it had an 'alien' cartridge in; this all became a pain and so I decided to go back to original expensive cartridges - not good when I use quite a lot for a small business.The spiralling cost of ink has made me brave (or perhaps desperate) enough to try again (after reading all but one reviewer giving rave reviews.)

The inks arrived today (within 24 hours of ordering - thank you!) and I needed to replace the yellow immediately. I clicked the cartridge in and printed something in colour so I could see it and it came out perfectly. I them checked the ink levels on my laptop and it recognised I had put in the yellow cartridge and informed me of all the other ink levels, so all in all I'm very pleased that the product works (with a compatible chip in it) and even more pleased that it is saving me money!
They work for me, so I give it top marks. I shall be ordering my next lot of inks from goinks.

PS. 29.12.12 I have just ordered my third batch of ink sets (just put my second lot in) and they really are worth it. They are lasting well (I do a lot of daily printing) and I've saved many, many pounds.

2ND UPDATE: JANUARY 2014 Another 13 months has gone by. I still have the same printer and I have ordered inks time and time again. My printer is still working well and it has and still is saving me money.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 13, 2013 12:23 PM GMT

Epson EB-X02 2600 Lumens XGA Projector
Epson EB-X02 2600 Lumens XGA Projector

5.0 out of 5 stars Compact and Easy to Use, 12 Aug 2012
After looking at projectors for months, I decided to choose a simple to use and reasonably priced projector and chose this model - and I'm glad I did - it's very good.

I bought it mainly to use in the classroom & office presentations; but have used it at home for everything - holiday pictures slide shows,checking out my Powerpoint presentations and watching dvd films & tv comedy - on a screen and on the wall. We (my family) are really impressed - I shan't be using my dvd player in future! When watching film we've had the sound from the laptop, and also through the projector which seems slightly better?(will now get some speakers).

It is easy to use, you simply plug it into the mains & laptop and it's ready to use. You can choose any options you want (ie. sound, size etc) manually on the projector or by using the remote. There are quick step instructions. but it's so simple we didn't use them. There is a central leg to adjust the height, a small grey button, press it to release the leg and adjust, when you want to pack the projector away, press the grey button again to push the retractable foot back.
When you've finished your presentation this projector doesn't need to cool down - another bonus for when I'm using it away from home. It's very compact to transport and more importantly it does just what I wanted it to do - just project whatever I need to present in the classroom/office with the bonus of it being used differently at home - and it will be! I'm very impressed.

JAN 2014 UPDATE: 18 months on and it's performing just as I stated above. I carry it back and forth to work and on average I use the projector 3 days a week.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 28, 2013 4:58 PM BST

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4