ARRAY(0xb3d0ef3c)

Profile for JanWillem > Reviews

Content by JanWillem

JanWillem

SSL and TLS: Theory and Practice (Artech House Information Security and Privacy)
by Rolf Oppliger
Price: 55.84

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite what I was looking for., 14 Jan 2011
I needed a book to explain me in a comprehensive way the technologies needed for secure communications over the Internet.

While the summary and the index suggest a complete review of all fundamentals of SSL/TLS it does not answer all of my questions. The book often refers to other publications on the web, standards and other books for more detail. Some trivial techniques are explained fairly extensive whereas other less trivial techniques remain unexplained or are referred externally.

It would benefit from more diagrams and no Wireshark Hex-dumps. Wireshark screen shots would be more useful, but a B&W printed book would not support this well (as mentioned in the introduction). Practical implementation examples are non-existent and little information is found on the performance impacts of various techniques.

The aspirant reader is recommended to brush up on Mathematical notations, curves and sets before starting on this book.

From a pure publishing perspective I would recommend the writer and the publisher to remove the spelling errors and to not introduce new concepts in the concluding chapter in a next print.

While the book did not give me all my answers, it did give me a lot of new knowledge and put much of my existing knowledge in a historical perspective.