Profile for M. B. Wright > Reviews

Content by M. B. Wright

M. B. Wright

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes (PS3)
Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes (PS3)
Price: 20.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Nobody has mentioned the poor gameplay!, 3 Jun 2014
Why has nobody mentioned the fact that the gameplay is pathetic? The game mechanics have been ruined. Enemies now run out in full view of you and the new auto aim gives no challenge whatsoever. You can literally lay on the floor and clear areas as they line up one by one to be shot. The AI is NOT clever like some people are saying. Yeah you can try to make it a challenge by staying stealthy but invariably you get seen at some point and then it becomes a case of shooting everyone easily and they stop looking for you after about 30 seconds. I carried five bodies to safety in full view of the baddies on the first mission without shooting them and didn't die as you can take a lot of punishment; too much. And you can't start the game on hard mode to make it more interesting. What have the developers been doing all this time? You can just run through the whole thing then hide with no incentive to make kills as there's no level up system or anything. It's pretty poor compared to modern games or the older titles in the series. I don't know why people are so taken with the graphics or bothered about the length. It's the gameplay itself that falls way WAY short.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 6, 2014 1:14 PM BST

The Returned - Series 1 [DVD]
The Returned - Series 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Anne Consigny
Price: 15.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Disjointed nonsense, beautifully done., 17 Jan 2014
This series lives up to most of it's accolades. It is beautifully shot; like a piece of art. The soundtrack is perfect, the acting is mostly good and it is captivating, haunting, shocking etc, etc, etc. I actually recommend watching it. However, we are being duped here and I think too many people are rating it highly before finishing the series. It promised so much. The writer Fabrice Gobert has done many interviews and he didn't write a second series until he was asked. This story was never going anywhere and I realised this after four episodes. He asked so many tantalising questions that it became obvious it wasn't going to be tied up in any coherent way. Everyone is forgiving the fact that almost none of the questions have been answered because they're waiting for the second series. Gobert had no grand plot and our answers won't all be revealed and tied together in a spectacularly clever way in the second series because it's all just disjointed nonsense, albeit shot in the most stunning way. All style and very little substance. I think it's offensive to expect an audience to swallow that no matter how pretty it is.

Sennheiser IE80 Ear Canal Phones
Sennheiser IE80 Ear Canal Phones
Price: 229.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the money?, 15 April 2012
I have upgraded from CX300 to CX400ii to the IE6 and finally I have saved for the IE80. The reason being that I was so impressed with the IE6, I hoped the flagship model would be and even bigger step up. Surely they would put the IE6 to shame, being twice the price? Well not quite in reality but I put that down to the IE6 bieng so impressive in the first place. It's true that the IE80s do have a deeper, punchier bass over a wider range and it is better balanced. The sound stage is also a little wider and the vocals are certainly a little more alive and rich. It seems absurd to call the IE6 noise 'tinny' but in comparison, they do seem a little bit. The IE80 no doubt beat them hands down and they are the most impressive sound I have heard anywhere. The issue here though is that all of these improvements in sound quality are actually very marginal. I had to compare with real scrutiny, (before burn-in), to be completely satisfied that I had spent my money well. They are the ultimate product Sennheiser have to offer, (and in my opinion, that anybody has to offer as I like my bass), but to justify the price hike over their little brothers is contentious. I think it's worth it as I'm a real sound geek but you need to be a self-confessed audiophile to really justify them. Just a little perspective though: I compared them to some 300 Beats Audio cans. They were an utter embarrassment, much like Bose. Do your research people. These IE80 are undisputed as the best dynamic driver headphones available. Nothing comes close. If you want to go for armature headphones in the same price range you can not get the same bass or as much range. This is a technological limitation. What Sennheiser have done is produce a sound to rival armature headphones but with the beautiful bass of a big dynamic driver. They are just incredible; the ultimate headphone and I will not be upgrading this time.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the money?, 14 April 2012
Comment Comments (9) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 27, 2012 10:30 PM BST

Resident Evil: Gold - Move Edition (PS3)
Resident Evil: Gold - Move Edition (PS3)
Offered by GAMES CONSOLES BARGAIN
Price: 11.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Dated., 3 Feb 2012
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This game hasn't progressed since the first one. Loved the second and third ones but that was a long time ago and this is the same again but set in an uninspiring and not very scary backdrop. Same old shoot a slow moving zombie, collect his ammo then get a plant from the next room. Yawn! The only new thing is how they've managed to make the controls terribly slow and sluggish; it's painful. They seem to counteract this by making your enemies stand still for you for a good few seconds so you can just about get your head shot before they lunge at you. Boring. Such linear, dull and dated playability.

Final Fantasy XIII - Platinum (PS3)
Final Fantasy XIII - Platinum (PS3)
Offered by Gateway Gaming
Price: 14.49

1.0 out of 5 stars Great cut scenes!, 20 Jan 2012
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
Thought it deserved its first one star. Having never played this type of game before, I thought Final Fantasy would be a good place to get hooked. I love all types of video games and was excited. I'm just missing the point of this altogether though. How is this a 'game'? After 2 hours all I had done is watch scenes and pressed the X button. Didn't even have to time it right, then up another linear corridor to do it again. It even tells you where to stand for it to automatically jump for you. It's beautiful but you're not 'playing' anything. It wouldn't even qualify as an interactive DVD movie because you don't do enough. I don't get it!

Comply T-400 Isolation Earphone Tips - (S/M/L) Platinum
Comply T-400 Isolation Earphone Tips - (S/M/L) Platinum
Price: 14.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Simply don't work, 4 Nov 2011
I tried all three sizes on my Sennheiser IE6s hoping they'd make the sound even better. I persevered and adjusted and waited for them to heat and expand etc. Nope. They have a huge design flaw: They are longer than all the stock buds, therefore once fitted, the speaker/monitor is a good 5mm further away from your eardrum than they were designed to be, even with the small and medium ones. This appears to be why they sound so awful. Pretty much all bass in particular was lost despite them feeling more comfortable and secure/isolated. Pointless.

Sennheiser IE 6, Ear-Canal Phones with High-Fidelity Sound and Enhanced Bass Response

5.0 out of 5 stars First pair of high-end earphones?, 26 Sep 2011
I splashed out on these even though I was more than happy with the cx400iis. Considering these IE6s now cost 75 more, are they worth it? In a word, yes. They destroy their little brothers in every sense. The only other similarly priced phones I've compared themn to are the Bose OEs. Even the cx400iis were miles ahead of such garbage. Avoid Bose like the plague, and reading their positive reviews only demonstrates how you should pay little attention to other people's experiences in this minefield. It's so objective. I settled on Sennheiser because the cx400iis, (which sound identical to the cx300s to me), were better than everything else I tried in the 40 mark, including Sound Magic, Panasonic and Sony. Logic dictated stick with Sennheiser and boy am I glad I did. Straight out of the box, I suddenly understood what all this audiophile jargon means. Wide soundstage, warm mids, non-muddy base and clear highs all are instantly apparent and I immediately felt pity for my trusty old phones. If like me you find most earphones are too treble biased, go for Sennsheiser. The only criticism I've read about these is a lack of treble. Ignore such trash talk. They're perfectly balanced so they're not too harsh yet crystal clear, something most phones don't achieve. (I think too many people are accustomed to cheap trebly earphones). The bass is brilliant, and seems to get better with burn-in. They make you feel fully immersed in the music, hard to explain but you can hear every sound individually without them crowding each other out and of course you hear new sounds you've never noticed before. They sit nicely in your ears without wedging in your canal, so they're really comfortable and you don't need to keep adjusting them. However, therefore the noise isolation isn't the best so you might irritate others on your commute if you crank the volume up. If like me you were deliberating, don't. they're incredible. I've only ever used them on my phone too, (albeit with a Fiio amp) but with no graphic equaliser on my phone, they're still just amazing. They have elevated me to the status of audipohile as I can never go back now. It's like rediscovering all your old music again, in HD!

Bioshock (PS3)
Bioshock (PS3)
Offered by 1stvideo
Price: 19.93

2.0 out of 5 stars Get Fallout 3 instead., 14 Sep 2011
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Bioshock (PS3) (Video Game)
Bioshock is an OK game. My mistake was to play it after putting 60 hours into Fallout 3. All Bioshock's good points - of which there are some - are in Fallout but Fallout much improves upon them. It's just far too linear and repetitive. You do get choices to make but not to the extent that your game completely changes like can happen in Fallout. It's worth a fiver but only if you've already played Fallout. If you have, I doubt you'll find Bioshock has anything to offer.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 18, 2012 4:09 AM GMT

Sennheiser CX 400 II Precision Noise Isolating Ear-canal Phones with Integrated Volume Control - Black
Price: 64.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Careful of the fakes., 5 Jan 2010
Only buy these through Amazon direct. I have wasted my time and money buying through the traders and got Soundmagic PL11s and Sennheiser CX500s and both were fakes. I then got CX300s and CX400-iis direct from Amazon and the difference is obvious. Don't be tempted by the lower prices of the traders. It is because they are fake.
The genuine Sennheisers are excellent. Much much better than any standard headphones. They are a little sharp on the high end to start with particularly for rock music but I'm sure they'll settle once burned in. The clarity is impressive though and the base is punchy enough even for a bass head like me. It's crazy not to upgrade to headphones like these: the listening experience is so much better than any standard sets. Oh and I noticed no difference between the 300s and the 400s.
Be warned, buy genuine and don't learn the hard way like I did!
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 24, 2013 11:22 PM BST