Profile for Mr. G. Hornsby > Reviews

Content by Mr. G. Hornsby

Mr. G. Hornsby "Guy Hornsby" (London, UK)

Why Does E=mc2?: (and Why Should We Care?)
Why Does E=mc2?: (and Why Should We Care?)
by Brian Cox

5.0 out of 5 stars Physics, how it should be, 22 April 2010
Like many others no doubt, I'd bought this book off the back of the Wonders of the Solar System series, but I've always had an interest in space, time and the universe, and I've previously devoured Hawking's book as well. This was a revelation though. It manages to put an incredibly complex subject into words that, even without a mathematical background (and the reader need not even engage with the maths to get the premise of the book) open up the beauty and simplicity of nature and the universe around us to anyone.

I sped through it in a couple of weeks, and it's a really well-written book, explaining theories in ways and with examples that take them from the alien to the obvious, and with a slow creep of complexity that means by the end of the book you're dealing with theories that would have been pretty impenetrable in Chapter 1.

I recommend it to people of all interests, ability and scientific competence. I'm a novice, working off my GSCEs and a childhood and teen love of space and time, but came out of it feeling much more alive to how our universe works. I only wish it was longer.