Profile for Andromeda Descendent > Reviews

Content by Andromeda Desc...
Top Reviewer Ranking: 508
Helpful Votes: 1929

Andromeda Descendent (Tarn Vedra)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Ultrasport Safeguard 100 Spine Protector Vest Size:L
Ultrasport Safeguard 100 Spine Protector Vest Size:L
Offered by Ultra24Shop
Price: 99.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable and secure, 21 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I am incredibly pleased with this back protector vest. I do a lot of winter activities and have bruised my spine in the past from slipping on ice, so something like this is invaluable to me. The vest is sleeveless and easy to put on. It can be put on over a T-shirt and under a coat or jacket. The material is light and feels comfortable. The back protector that sits over your spine is made from memory foam and although it feels a bit odd at first to have that at your back, it very quickly starts to feel natural to have it there. Of course, it makes it appear that your back is slightly hunched, but who's going to notice that; after all it's for outdoor use and - though I'm not a motorbike owner or rider, I have friends who are and they wear the most bulky of jackets, so this looks sleek in comparison.

The waist band with kidney belt protection fits as closely as you want it to, and is fastened up with Velcro. Although totally unnecessary, I have been wearing the vest whist writing this review, and it's so comfortable. Okay, I've taken if off now. It's hot weather at the moment, but I have only sweated a little bit where my back was covered, and even then not that much.

The back protector can be taken out and the vest machine washed, whilst the protector needs to be cloth cleaned. There is a red loop at the top for hanging the vest up on a hanger.

Some technical details:

This gives "protection class 2: Verification kerbstone test - impact energy 50J, residual energy imparted is <9kN".

Inside and outside material: 100% polyester
Outer shell: PU
Padding: PE/EVA mix
Abdominal belt / shoulder straps: 80% polyamide, 20% spandex
Piping: 100%

2 year warrantee

I would highly recommend this.

McAfee Total Protection 2014 - 1 User -1 Year (PC)
McAfee Total Protection 2014 - 1 User -1 Year (PC)
Price: 46.74

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use and reassuring, 21 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It took about half an hour to install the McAfee Total Protection 2014 onto a new laptop, which came at the time with a month's McAfee trial subscription. The install appeared to remove the previous instance from the desktop, although the Windows 8 tile from the Toshiba branded McAfee trial still remains.

I like the interface of the product. It's nice and clean and it's easy to navigate. A reassuring green bar along the top currently tells me my computer is secure (no action required). Along the side it tells me when my next scheduled scan is. The main window offers the following options:

"Virus and Spyware Protection" allows you to run scans, manage real time scanning and scheduled scans.

"Web and Email protection" controls the firewall and anti-spam, and SiteAdvisor LIVE, which blocks access to dangerous sites and fixes itself to Internet Explorer (and I would presume other browsers), giving a green circle with a tick in it next to, for example, web pages on a search result in Google. A question mark means the site has not been verified, so you need to proceed with caution. Doesn't seem to work with the alternative version of Internet Explorer you call up from the tile, only the one you operate from the desktop.

"McAfee Updates" is for checking you have the latest updates installed.

"Your subscription" tells you days remaining and allows you to edit your account.

"Data Protection and Backup" gives options for cloud storage, a password lock for protecting your files and a shredder for overwriting documents you wish to erase securely.

"PC and Home Network Tools" give an overview of networked devices and allows you to improve performance by removing unnecessary files.

"Parental Controls" allows you to activate this feature and set the options.

I Want To See The Bright Lights Tonight
I Want To See The Bright Lights Tonight
Price: 0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars I like this, 21 July 2014
This is a really decent choice of free track. I hadn't heard of this band before, but they're apparently a fairly well known English folk band. Very energetic and I'm sure they must have a lot more like this in their back catalogue. It's very rare that I think to myself that I'd like to go see a band based on one song, but if they come anywhere near where I live I may well do that.

Uptight Downtown (Just Kiddin' Remix)
Uptight Downtown (Just Kiddin' Remix)
Price: 0.79

3.0 out of 5 stars Original is better, 21 July 2014
Having heard the La Roux track on the radio recently, I was open minded for this remix. Whilst I wouldn't have paid money for it, it's not all that bad as background music. I know that's not a glowing endorsement, but the original is far better, and I'd much rather point you in that direction.

Tears Of Joy
Tears Of Joy
Price: 0.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Slow Club, 21 July 2014
This review is from: Tears Of Joy (MP3 Download)
This is a fairly nice laid back track, and I like the background music, but I'm afraid to say I find the vocals and the lyrics a bit irritating. I'd like this a lot more as an instrumental.

Professor Layton And The Eternal Diva [Blu-ray]
Professor Layton And The Eternal Diva [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Chris Miller
Offered by The Happy Zombie
Price: 6.71

5.0 out of 5 stars A treat for Layton fans, clearly made with love for the series, 14 July 2014
It's been a long wait for me to watch this, as I bought it over a year ago along with all the Professor Layton games that were out at that time. Having discovered it was set after the fourth game in the series (Professor Layton and the Spectre's Call) I decided to wait until I'd played all those games, and I'm glad it did – as many of the characters that were only introduced in the fourth game take major roles here.

Some minor spoilers for the Spectre's Call follow, as I want to mention those characters, so stop reading if you don't want to know. The film is set immediately after the Spectre's Call, making it chronologically the second adventure for the Professor and Luke. New characters Emmy and Grosky have supporting roles and are very well used, and a villain we have seen before (although possibly not the one you're thinking of) steals the show once revealed.

You have a choice of English and Japanese voice tracks, and the film runs at just over 90 minutes long. The animation is not only spot on, but is drawn with incredibly meticulous detail. 2D and 3D model animation are blended seamlessly and the story allows for some very imaginative set pieces. If you're tossing up between getting DVD and Blu Ray, I would strongly advise that you get the Blu Ray. The thought might have crossed your mind at some point that this may just be a cheaply made cash in, but that's not the case – it's clear to see how much time and effort that has gone into this, and it was certainly made with great love for the series.

The story is one that would be worthy of any Layton game, and it's actually a joy to watch the Professor and Luke in action in a form that resolves itself in one sitting. Other than the plot, which I won't go into here other than to say it's at the same time both completely new and also a classic Layton mystery, there are a few puzzles within the game which you as a viewer are given enough time to solve ahead of Luke and Layton, and it makes you feel clever when you do. There are various nods to the games, for example the background music that plays as you solve puzzles, Layton being challenged to solve "Puzzle 001", and some familiar characters who can be spotted by the eagle-eyed in the background of some scenes, but it doesn't push the references too far, and for that reason I would think it stands up reasonably well as a film in its own right. Those who haven't played the games may well enjoy this, although possibly not near as much as the long-time fans.

Ninety minutes allows for a good, well structured story, and it never feels as if the pace is ever too slow (or indeed too fast) for the viewer. Like all good Layton stories, the ending is almost unexpectedly emotional, and the credits are accompanied by small drawings depicting various characters subsequent to the film's events.

The biggest puzzle, however, is how you access the supposed 30 minutes of special features… If anyone out there knows and could give me a "hint" in the comments section I'd be "eternal"ly grateful.

Interpet Insight Glass Aquarium Premium Kit, 40 Litre
Interpet Insight Glass Aquarium Premium Kit, 40 Litre
Price: 195.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything you need to make a home for pet fish., 12 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The Interpet Insight LED 40 litre aquarium arrived at my door in a gigantic box. After removing several layers of packaging, I lifted out the fish tank, which in its actual dimensions is 490mm wide, 385mm high and 270mm deep. I was glad of all the packaging because the tank was in perfect condition.

The first thing I do when opening anything which requires care and attention is to seek out the instruction manual. In this I was not disappointed, for it told me everything I needed to know and answered any question that arose.

Here's a description of the tank and it's contents:

The tank itself has a really attractive design. The front is curved at the edges and the lid has a front flap which opens, exposing three buttons and a small opening through which you can feed the fish without having to open the whole lid. One of these buttons starts a timer, which will flash a red warning after 28 days to remind you to carry out tank maintenance. The other two buttons control the LED lighting bars. The lighting is very impressive, with bright white for the daytime and soft blue for the evening and night.

Both the filter and the heater are easy to fit. The filter is powered by the same plug as the lights, and the heater is separate; so you will need two electric sockets.

Also included are two water treatment products to ensure you give your fish the best possible start. "Filter Start" contains cultures of beneficial bacteria to get your filter up to speed, and "Tapsafe" is a tap water additive which removes harmful chemicals and adds friendly bacteria and aloe vera. Both products help the fish settle into their new home by preventing the build up of invisible toxic compounds which could harm or kill your fish (known as "new tank syndrome").

TCP LED B22d Bayonet Cap 10 Watt LED Classic Shape, White
TCP LED B22d Bayonet Cap 10 Watt LED Classic Shape, White
Price: 12.71

5.0 out of 5 stars A 10W energy saving bulb that gives a 60W (or more?) equivalent, 7 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
With electricity prices so high, anything that brings them down is worth looking at – and, of course, if it helps the environment at the same time by reducing power usage then that's good too.

My first impression of this light bulb was how heavy it is compared to a standard light bulb. It fitted into the socket I wanted to put it in just fine though, and I shouldn't think weight will be an issue for anyone.

It uses only 10 watts to create a 60 watt effect. I'm sure that it's actually brighter than any of my standard 60 watt bulbs. It's non dimmable, which doesn't matter to me but it's something you may want to know.

The "warm white" light it emits does a good job of imitating standard bulb light. I've used the bulb for over a week and it hasn't given me any eye strain or headache. Plus it's good to know I won't need to replace it for a long long time.

CoverTop LCBLACK156 Universal Shock Protection Pure Silicone Cover Jacket 15.6 inch Laptop
Price: 19.20

3.0 out of 5 stars A tight fit on a Toshiba, 7 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I don't usually comment on the packaging for items I receive, as that's perhaps more relevant if you're looking at the box in a shop, but the box for this product is well designed because it tells you everything you need to know. I was not surprised when I opened the box and there was no instruction booklet inside, as it simply wasn't needed.

The silicone jacket is all in one piece and is of very good quality. I received a black one, but I'd recommend you get a bright colour as those are easier to see and there's less chance of misplacing your laptop or accidentally sitting on it.

The first thing you should do before fitting it is check if there are any connection slots at the rear or sides of your laptop. If there are, get a penknife and cut out as many of the pre-indented holes (up to twelve of them) as you need. You then open the laptop up and insert it into the case, using the four flaps at each corner. Of course, you need to have already made sure before buying this that your laptop and the cover match up in size.

I did make sure. However, here's the thing – it fits, yes, but it's a very tight fit, and that is a problem.

This version is for 15.6" screen laptops. My laptop is a Toshiba with a 15.6" touch screen. I still have the laptop box, so there's no mistaking that figure. The silicone jacket box says this cover is universal, however as I put the jacket onto the laptop, I could tell it was a tight fit, and I initially was worried about forcing the laptop shut in case I damaged it. I did managed to close it up, but then opening it again was difficult and closing it a second time involved a lot more manoeuvring. I am fairly certain that if I attempt to close it in a hurry, maybe not remembering the manoeuvring that is needed, I will damage the laptop hinges. That frightens me, so after about five attempts, each of which made me more and more worried about damaging the laptop, I gave this product up as a lost cause.

That makes it difficult for me to review objectively, but I should state that there are many different makes of laptop, with many different types of hinge system. Just because it wasn't right for me, that does not mean everyone who buys this will have problems.

It's a pity, because with all the bobbles on the bottom of it, there's no way that a laptop fitted with this cover is ever going to slip off your knees. Would I have used it constantly if it had fitted perfectly? Well, maybe for travel purposes but not for everyday use. It also makes it impossible to open the optical drive when it's fitted, so I would need to take it off every time I wish to put a CD in.

Ultrasport Boxing Gear-Series Set two Curved Punch Mitts - Hand Punch Pads with red Hit Point
Price: 20.65

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent punch mitts, 16 Jun 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A perfect accompaniment to the Ultrasport boxing gloves I received as part of the "Ultrasport Boxing Gear-Series Youth Boxing Set incl. Vinyl Punching Bag 24 x 10 inches (60 x 25 cm) filled, 8 oz Boxing Gloves, 2 sets Bandages, Jump Rope, Ceiling Mount and Transport Rucksack", these punching pads make exercise or training a social exercise - as, apart from any training value, it's fun to take turns punching and catching the punches.

The pads are very well made and remarkably comfortable. For the person punching, there's a red circle in the centre to aim for. The person using these to catch the blows is protected from the majority of the force by the super shock absorbent padding.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20