Profile for Andromeda Descendent > Reviews

Content by Andromeda Desc...
Top Reviewer Ranking: 561
Helpful Votes: 2019

Andromeda Descendent (Tarn Vedra)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
What You Do Best
What You Do Best

4.0 out of 5 stars Could be worth watching out for?, 13 May 2014
This review is from: What You Do Best (MP3 Download)
I've played this free song a few times now and although I found it a slow grower, I kept coming back to it. It may not be enough to make me actively seek out their album, but it's enough for me to remember them and I may pay attention in the future. They remind me a bit of Kaiser Chiefs, and the song is good, but it stays in its comfort zone a bit too much. A bit more risk taking might have encouraged me to look further at their work.

Dixie (Amazon Exclusive)
Dixie (Amazon Exclusive)

5.0 out of 5 stars Tori and a piano, 13 May 2014
I'm in music heaven today, having discovered two free tracks from artists I love. Digsy's Dinner (Live Gleneagles June '94) by Oasis and this Amazon exclusive track from Tori Amos, whose new album Unrepentant Geraldines should be coming through my letter box imminently. Unless I'm wrong, this song won't be on that album so if you're a fan, like me, grab it quick before the offer expires.

This is one of Tori's softer reflective ballads, and it's a really lovely song. I totally agree with M Dowden and "A customer" where they say in their reviews that it's haunting and stays with you long after the song has finished. I've listened to it once before wring this review - just once - and I could recite it to you right now without having to have a second listen. Yes, it'll be those two songs by Tori and Oasis that I'll be listening to until, hopefully, Tori's album comes through my letterbox tomorrow.

If you need any further reason to download this, it's Tori and a piano and that's a combination more magical than any other singer-songwriter and their instrument that I know.

Digsy's Dinner (Live Gleneagles June '94)
Digsy's Dinner (Live Gleneagles June '94)

5.0 out of 5 stars We'll have las-aaaaaaaaa-gne!, 13 May 2014
What a great free track! Well, this is going to be on repeat in my house for weeks and the family are going to get sick of it! Oasis have released so much great music, but this song is so much fun that it's one of my favourites and to have a live version of it has just made my day, especially as I'd have paid for it without hesitation if it hadn't been gifted as a promo.

AmazonBasics Thermal Laminating Pouches A4 Pack of 100
AmazonBasics Thermal Laminating Pouches A4 Pack of 100

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality pouches from the Basics range, 13 May 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I chose these laminating pouches from the Vine programme simply to review them. I use laminating pouches at work and I also have a couple of packets of different brand pouches that I bought for use at home – far more in fact than I'll ever need. Whereas at work I use the pouches to laminate A4 printouts, the range of paper I laminate at home is quite varied.

I collect some fairly low value things (crystal puzzles for example, most of which I write reviews on, and some of which I buy from Japan), and they often come with very thin, easily tearable paper instructions, dispatch notes, etc. I also have a few commemorative coin sets, which often have small glossy description cards. You can see that I'm not collecting anything that's ever going to appreciate in value, but I like to keep the papers that come with them in good condition anyway.

I found the Amazon Basic laminating pouches to be good quality. Cheap paper, thick card, dispatch labels and glossy paper all come out of the laminator looking good. I didn't have any problem with the finished result wrinkling up – something that I have experienced with value brands, and have had in the past to get round by pressing the finished sheet between two plastic table mats immediately after it comes out of the machine, so that it sets flat as it's cooling. I didn't need to use the table mats at all with this product. I know some people put the pouch in a cardboard sheet to put through the laminator, but that's something I've never done, and no-one at work does that either.

The pouches are A4, but they cut easily if you need to trim them down to A5. The amount of static you get as you set the sheet inside is just right for the task of holding it in place as you take it to and feed it through the machine. Some other makes have too much static, and that makes the process of setting the sheet neatly in the boundaries quite fiddly, so the reasonable level of static in these pouches is good because it saves on time.

Hope that helps you.

Can War be Eliminated?
Can War be Eliminated?
by Christopher Coker

3.0 out of 5 stars A little light reading, 13 May 2014
This review is from: Can War be Eliminated? (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Occasionally, when the mood takes me, I like to read books with thought provoking titles. Usually I get about halfway through what turns out to be a very long and self-indulgent book, having hoped against hope that the author might get around to the point sometime before my interest runs out.

This book was short enough to get through without my interest waning. The author – Christopher Coker – moves briskly from point to point, and doesn't stick solely to the world of academia, referencing World War Z, Ender's Game and Sin City (I think in the context he means Sim City, but never mind), alongside Homer, Darwin and Freud. The topics covered include evolution, technology and geopolitics.

As a thought-provoker, I found it a reasonably good read. Unfortunately there's far too much of the author's own opinion in there, and I did feel he was trying to persuade me to agree with his opinions – using facts and observations he had hand picked himself – about things I wasn't informed enough about to have anything other than a gut reaction. Unsurprisingly, he ends the book with a summary that tries to answer the titular question. It's one of the most depressing ends to a non-fiction book I've ever read. He quotes Larkin in saying "Man hands on misery to man. It deepens like a coastal shelf," and you get the impression he's even depressed himself in writing this book.

Having said that, the author never claims to have written a book to encourage those who wish to bring about change, as another reviewer on this page had hoped for – he merely poses a question and examines it. Because his own opinions so strongly shape his writing, this is a book that is likely to get some people's backs up, but then again that is the nature of the beast with books such as this. To paraphrase the review snippet on the back cover of this book, in the academic world this is called "stimulating debate" and in that respect, I'm sure Mr Coker will find himself very pleased to have such mixed reviews on here (including the ones currently showing from fellow reviewers across the water).

Ravensburger Windmill 3D Puzzle (216 Pieces)
Ravensburger Windmill 3D Puzzle (216 Pieces)

5.0 out of 5 stars Best looking 3D jigsaw puzzle I've seen, 5 May 2014
This 3D jigsaw puzzle is one of several different models manufactured by Ravensburger. In my opinion it's the best one. Inside the box you will find 216 plastic jigsaw pieces, some of which are hinged and you need to bend slightly. There are also some plastic pieces that make up the walkway, roof and sails. There are two ways to put it together; you can either follow the numbers on the back of the puzzle pieces or you can assemble it as you would a normal jigsaw, looking at the front of the pieces. It's better to treat it as a normal jigsaw of course, but the numbers could help if you get stuck.

Once assembled, the model is very sturdy. It's not going to fall apart when you pick it up, and it's also easy enough to dismantle if you want to put it back in the box. The sails spin round with a push and it makes a very good model to display on a shelf. From a distance you can barely see the joins between the jigsaw pieces.

Kingston Technology DataTraveler 101 Generation 2 32GB USB Flash Drive - Purple
Kingston Technology DataTraveler 101 Generation 2 32GB USB Flash Drive - Purple

5.0 out of 5 stars 32GB Kingston USB stick, 5 May 2014
This is a well made USB memory stick with a protective cap that is attached to the stick itself and swivels round 180 degrees from the front to the back. I've had it over a year now without a problem and its not even showing a scratch. The purple casing makes it stand out and I haven't lost it once. It has a small loop hole that allows you to clip it to a keyring, as long as the keyring isn't too wide, or thread a ribbon through it.

Thief (Xbox 360)
Thief (Xbox 360)
Offered by MyMemory

4.0 out of 5 stars Custom game setting can make this a great stealth experience, 5 May 2014
This review is from: Thief (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
This was probably the last full price game I'll buy for the Xbox 360 before I buy the new console for playing Halo 5 and Destiny. I'll be straight up with you, I was going to buy the physical copy of this game and then didn't because I heard some fairly negative comments. It was only when Thief was sold at half price as a download through the Xbox dashboard that I decided at that price I was prepared to buy it and lower my expectations. I shouldn't have listened to the reviews as it happened, as it turned out this was exactly my type of game.

The comparisons with Dishonored are many, and I won't go into them, but what really frustrated me about Dishonored was that I wanted to play it pacifist but each chapter I'd go through it doing nothing wrong that I could see and at the end it would tell me I had killed 1 person, when at the most I had knocked someone out. Thief allows you to set up a custom difficulty setting that removes the all supernatural "focus" abilities if you want to (and I did), and/or immediately brings up a chapter fail notice if you kill, knockout or even get noticed by an enemy. Because you have a manual save (plus a separate autosave that you can backtrack to if you place yourself in an impossible situation before manually saving), this instant fail is just what the true stealth approach player wants and needs. You can also make resources (rope arrows, water arrows, etc) extremely expensive to buy and almost non existent to find. Why would you want to do that? For the challenge and to keep things tense. After finishing the game on custom I went back and tried the game on the default setting, with the focus abilities enabled. I didn't like it that way. If I had been forced to play it that way from the start, I wouldn't have enjoyed the game anywhere near as much as I did with the constant tension and extreme resource management of the custom setting I chose to play in.

The story I found quite interesting, although I wasn't taken with the ending, and the environments offered a lot of nice close quarters sneaky gameplay. Between chapters you can explore and steal your way around an open world city area, with more areas becoming accessible the more chapters you play. It's not a huge area, some of the chapters themselves being bigger in area than any or maybe all the city districts, but there are so many hidden areas to find. You keep discovering windows, ledges or doorways you walked past many times before, and the key is that you need to keep looking up and also for hidden switches. Rope arrows allow you to access high ledges and rooftops, and there are plenty of repayable side quests to test your sneaking skills. Chapters are re-playable too, and although you can go fast through the levels if you want to, there is a lot of satisfaction in managing to track down every last loot item or collectible, especially doing it undetected.

There are some problems that get in the way of the enjoyment at times. Guards can often (at least once a chapter in my experience) get stuck in doorways and go into a strange strobe-like state where they flip between facing backwards and forwards several times a second. They also start the same annoying conversations again and again each time you pass them in the city, and often this conversation doubles up so that about two seconds in it starts up a second time, running alongside the original sound clip. The custom setting also fails you if you try and distract a guard using the environment anywhere near a caged dog, even if you're hidden inside a building well away from it. There's also surprisingly little in the way of distraction options. It makes guards seem like – well, computer game guards – when they need to seem as much like real people as possible.

But problems aside, if you want to play as stealthily as possible, then this is a game worthy of your attention. If you want to play it as an action game and kill guards up close and personal – or even switch from stealth to action when you get spotted – it's not as good at that.

One final note: there is an extra mission you can buy as DLC called The Bank Heist. It is completely worth the money being asked for it, so you should also download that if you buy this game.

Let Me Go
Let Me Go

5.0 out of 5 stars Good memories of this song, 5 May 2014
This review is from: Let Me Go (MP3 Download)
I always find it difficult reviewing songs, as the best way to find out if you like it is to just listen, but sometimes I just want to add my voice to say "I like this" and share a little bit with others about why I like it.

I have two memories associated with this song. The first is that great advert that Gary did with the (Compare The) Meerkats and the other is listening to him sing it on New Year's Day. I can’t listen to it without thinking of both of those things. Who cares if other people don't think he's the coolest person to listen to. It's a great feel good song.

AmazonBasics CD / DVD Wallet 64 Disc Capacity Nylon Black
AmazonBasics CD / DVD Wallet 64 Disc Capacity Nylon Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice useful storage case, 5 May 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've got a lot of CDs and DVDs which are either uncased or stored in plain jewel cases and just taking up room, so this storage case – which holds 64 CDs – is a perfect solution. It's well made, and that's not always a given with this type of case, for I had a smaller one a few years back that was prone to the plastic envelopes coming away at the sides, but this one has no such problem. The case is closed with a zip, which means the CDs are not going to tumble out of it, and it has a looped carry handle at one side which I can't see I'd use, but it's a nice addition. The material inside the pouches is soft and unlikely to cause scratches.

There aren't any compartments inside to store CD or DVD index cards, but then again there wouldn't be enough room anyway once it's full. I would have liked a small windowed compartment on the outside though, where I could put a label to say what is in it. I wouldn't take any stars off for the lack of one through. Like the name implies, it's a "basic" range case, but it's useful, robust and I don't see any quality problems.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20