Profile for Andromeda Descendent > Reviews

Content by Andromeda Desc...
Top Reviewer Ranking: 561

Andromeda Descendent (Tarn Vedra)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Verbatim 52619 LED Classic A B22 6 Watt Light Bulb
Verbatim 52619 LED Classic A B22 6 Watt Light Bulb
Offered by UKStocked

5.0 out of 5 stars Brighter than 40W equivalent – good replacement for a 60W traditional, 30 Nov. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have recently received and put up two versions of this lightbulb – a 6W (40W equivalent) and a 9W (60W equivalent). I'm going to cover both in the one review, not through laziness but because having the two to compare means I'm able hopefully to give better advice to you.

These are LED light bulbs, and as such will save you money over the use of traditional ceiling fixture light bulbs. The most important side of this is that they use a lot less electricity, but you will also save money because traditional light bulbs don't really last all that long before you need to replace them. These Verbatim B22 fixture bulbs give 20,000 hours of light before you need to change them, or 100,000 on/off cycles, whichever you reach first. They are "instant on 100%" and are not dimmable.

The warm white (2700K) light emitted is slightly towards the yellow side of the spectrum (where some other bulbs might be "neutral" white or "cool white", meaning slightly towards the blue end).

The 6W version gives 480 lumens of light and the 9W version gives 810 lumens. Although these are described as 40W and 60W equivalents respectively, I did notice that when replacing traditional 60W bulbs the 6W (40W equivalent) was a good replacement for the traditional 60W version and the 9W (60W equivalent) was actually too bright for some rooms. So, in comparison with these traditional light bulbs in my house, the LED bulbs are actually brighter than the equivalent values on the packaging would suggest. Although I'm informing you for review purposes that this is what I experienced from them, I am happy with both bulbs because I just altered which rooms they are put in so that the light level was right for what I wanted.

Verbatim 52608 GU10 5 Watt Light Bulb
Verbatim 52608 GU10 5 Watt Light Bulb

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality GU10 bulb, 26 Nov. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a 5W GU10 spot bulb which produces a 51W equivalent light at 350 lumens, and therefore claims a 90% energy saving. This gives it an A+ EU energy rating. It has a lifespan of 20,000 hours or 100,000 on/off cycles. It is not dimmable.

The light it produces is described as warm white and is slightly towards the yellow end of the spectrum. On the bulb itself it gives a figure of 2700K.

The light coming from it does seem a bit wider than some other spot lights I have. In the right place that isn't a bad thing. A diagram on the back of the packet shows 35 degrees and 750cd. I can't say I know what "cd" is for certain, although I'd take a guess at "candela"?

Quality wise, the bulb is solid with no cracks or scratches. It has the technical details near the base so you can see what it is if you lose the packet.

Supa-Fix APX4 Ultra Strength Adhesive and Reinforcing Filling Powders
Supa-Fix APX4 Ultra Strength Adhesive and Reinforcing Filling Powders

5.0 out of 5 stars A valuable tool in the household toolbox, 26 Nov. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Before I start this review, which is going to be extremely positive by the way, a plea to the manufacturer – more colours please! There are so many different uses I'd like to put this to.

This set of ultra strength adhesive and reinforcing filling powders is just the thing for repairing cracked and damaged objects. You have black and grey powders (10ml each), and two small bottles of 10ml adhesive. Pour a little powder into the crack (if it's an irregular surface put some masking tape behind it first) and then go over it with a few drops of the adhesive. It sets quickly and it's very strong. I mended my grandfather's magnifying glass, which is a lens in a frame which had cracked so the lens no longer stayed put inside it. It's now firmly holding that lens, although the grey colour of the powder doesn't match the cream coloured frame. I have objects in need of just this treatment which are red and navy blue too, which is why I would love to see a range of powder colours available.

The instructions are small but adequate. There is some safety advice which warns you that the reaction caused by the glue and powder could burn skin, so you need to be very careful. It's not for use by children, and even for young adults I'd recommend adult supervision – or probably just leave it to the adult to do for them.

It's a valuable tool in the toolbox, because it allows you to mend and keep using things you might otherwise consider throwing away. In some cases, it might even be the cheaper solution.

Leitz Style 40 Pocket Display Book - Garnet Red
Leitz Style 40 Pocket Display Book - Garnet Red

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice display book, 23 Nov. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This display book from Leitz is both good looking and of a good quality. I like the cover, which is a shiny burgundy colour outside and a muted grey inside. There are 40 pockets and they are easy to insert paper into and are well bound into the spine. Some cheap display books I have owned have not been so well bound, and the plastic has been too thin and easy to crumple, but this display book is problem free – no problems with static or crumpling here.

It has rounded corners and a label on the spine, two features that I like in this type of folder.

I will get a lot of use from this, and when I need to get another then I will definitely get one from this range.

Philips E14 Small Edison Screw 6 Watt LED Dimmable Luster, Warm White
Philips E14 Small Edison Screw 6 Watt LED Dimmable Luster, Warm White

5.0 out of 5 stars Great bulb for a bedside lamp, 23 Nov. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It's almost a shame to put this interesting looking light bulb into a lamp with a shade on, where it won't be directly seen unless you look straight down at it, but I had a lamp that needed upgrading from standard to LED light and this fitted the bill perfectly. It gives the equivalent of 40W of light whilst using 6W of power. It is also dimmable.

Another LED bulb, which I have used in the companion lamp to the one I'm talking about, gives a nice spread of light, but this one very noticeably spreads it out much wider around the room. That may well be down to the very nice and unusual design.

The tone of light it gives off is very good too, and far better than you get from a standard bulb. I'm very pleased with it.

Dead Air (From The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1 Soundtrack)
Dead Air (From The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1 Soundtrack)

5.0 out of 5 stars It's great to hear more from Chvrches, 18 Nov. 2014
This is one of two new songs from Chvrches out at the moment, the other of which is also really good (Get Away).

The lyrics are more upbeat than the chorus, "We are all just dead air", but even the chorus is sung in an upbeat way. It may not make it into the public consciousness to the same extent that Lorde's Yellow Flicker Beat has, but it's still a really good track.

Get Away
Get Away

5.0 out of 5 stars It grows and grows on you, 18 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Get Away (MP3 Download)
Like, I suspect, many other people, when I first heard this song I really hated the opening "eeeerr get away" sample and thought it was ruining an otherwise fantastic new song from Chvrches, who incidentally also have a great new song on the soundtrack to The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1 (Dead Air (From The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1)).

But then that sample stuck in my head.

And I listened to the song again, still unsure but coming around to possibly even liking it.

Then I realised that I actually loved this song, not despite of but partly because of the odd sample.

It is a great song and if you're put off at first by the sample, then maybe give it a second chance. You might change your mind too.

Real Love
Real Love

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 18 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Real Love (MP3 Download)
I love the advert this is from, but I would have bought this song anyway. Tom Odell has an exceptional voice and this is a very moving version of a song that I had not heard of before. I see from the other reviews here that this is a John Lennon song, but that version does not seem to be available as a download so I may not get to compare the versions.

At 2 minutes 21 seconds it might seen a bit short to some, and although I like it the way it is, apparently – and again I know this because I like to read other people's reviews here – there is a second verse which he could have included but didn't. Maybe I just don't miss it because I don't know the original, but for me this is definitely worth five stars.

P.S. I can't remember if I bought this from Amazon or iTunes, so there may not be a "verified purchase" tag above. (Not meaning to mislead.)

La Fiancée [+digital booklet]
La Fiancée [+digital booklet]

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful music to put you in a good mood, 16 Nov. 2014
I bought this album on impulse, as it was extraordinarily cheap, in my recommended list and I liked the 30 second preview of one of the songs.

I had never heard of Cécile Corbel before, but I was happy that I did buy this album on impulse, because if I had stopped to think about it I would probably have thought myself out of it.

It's a really beautiful album, best listened to as mood music for those wanting to relax. No one track stands out as being something that will stick in my mind, but that's not always what you want from music. It's enough that it's beautiful and helped me get some boring work done today whilst I played it, work that I might otherwise have done only half of then put off for another day, and I will be definitely be playing this album again.

Centra 25 mm 2 Round Rings A4 Ring Binder - Black
Centra 25 mm 2 Round Rings A4 Ring Binder - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy A4 binder. No spine label, but otherwise good all round, 16 Nov. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This black A4 page holding ring binder is of standard design and opens and shuts with a solid click. There is no label or plastic covered area for a card label along the spine, which is something a lot of people like to have, so it may well make the difference between this being right for you or not . The folder is sturdy and the edges and corners are unlikely to get frayed easily by the look and feel of them.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20