Profile for Andromeda Descendent > Reviews

Content by Andromeda Desc...
Top Reviewer Ranking: 536
Helpful Votes: 1989

Andromeda Descendent (Tarn Vedra)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Interpet Insight Glass Aquarium Premium Kit, 40 Litre
Interpet Insight Glass Aquarium Premium Kit, 40 Litre

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything you need to make a home for pet fish., 12 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The Interpet Insight LED 40 litre aquarium arrived at my door in a gigantic box. After removing several layers of packaging, I lifted out the fish tank, which in its actual dimensions is 490mm wide, 385mm high and 270mm deep. I was glad of all the packaging because the tank was in perfect condition.

The first thing I do when opening anything which requires care and attention is to seek out the instruction manual. In this I was not disappointed, for it told me everything I needed to know and answered any question that arose.

Here's a description of the tank and it's contents:

The tank itself has a really attractive design. The front is curved at the edges and the lid has a front flap which opens, exposing three buttons and a small opening through which you can feed the fish without having to open the whole lid. One of these buttons starts a timer, which will flash a red warning after 28 days to remind you to carry out tank maintenance. The other two buttons control the LED lighting bars. The lighting is very impressive, with bright white for the daytime and soft blue for the evening and night.

Both the filter and the heater are easy to fit. The filter is powered by the same plug as the lights, and the heater is separate; so you will need two electric sockets.

Also included are two water treatment products to ensure you give your fish the best possible start. "Filter Start" contains cultures of beneficial bacteria to get your filter up to speed, and "Tapsafe" is a tap water additive which removes harmful chemicals and adds friendly bacteria and aloe vera. Both products help the fish settle into their new home by preventing the build up of invisible toxic compounds which could harm or kill your fish (known as "new tank syndrome").

TCP LED B22d Bayonet Cap 10 Watt LED Classic Shape, White
TCP LED B22d Bayonet Cap 10 Watt LED Classic Shape, White

5.0 out of 5 stars A 10W energy saving bulb that gives a 60W (or more?) equivalent, 7 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
With electricity prices so high, anything that brings them down is worth looking at – and, of course, if it helps the environment at the same time by reducing power usage then that's good too.

My first impression of this light bulb was how heavy it is compared to a standard light bulb. It fitted into the socket I wanted to put it in just fine though, and I shouldn't think weight will be an issue for anyone.

It uses only 10 watts to create a 60 watt effect. I'm sure that it's actually brighter than any of my standard 60 watt bulbs. It's non dimmable, which doesn't matter to me but it's something you may want to know.

The "warm white" light it emits does a good job of imitating standard bulb light. I've used the bulb for over a week and it hasn't given me any eye strain or headache. Plus it's good to know I won't need to replace it for a long long time.

CoverTop LCBLACK156 Universal Shock Protection Pure Silicone Cover Jacket 15.6 inch Laptop

3.0 out of 5 stars A tight fit on a Toshiba, 7 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I don't usually comment on the packaging for items I receive, as that's perhaps more relevant if you're looking at the box in a shop, but the box for this product is well designed because it tells you everything you need to know. I was not surprised when I opened the box and there was no instruction booklet inside, as it simply wasn't needed.

The silicone jacket is all in one piece and is of very good quality. I received a black one, but I'd recommend you get a bright colour as those are easier to see and there's less chance of misplacing your laptop or accidentally sitting on it.

The first thing you should do before fitting it is check if there are any connection slots at the rear or sides of your laptop. If there are, get a penknife and cut out as many of the pre-indented holes (up to twelve of them) as you need. You then open the laptop up and insert it into the case, using the four flaps at each corner. Of course, you need to have already made sure before buying this that your laptop and the cover match up in size.

I did make sure. However, here's the thing – it fits, yes, but it's a very tight fit, and that is a problem.

This version is for 15.6" screen laptops. My laptop is a Toshiba with a 15.6" touch screen. I still have the laptop box, so there's no mistaking that figure. The silicone jacket box says this cover is universal, however as I put the jacket onto the laptop, I could tell it was a tight fit, and I initially was worried about forcing the laptop shut in case I damaged it. I did managed to close it up, but then opening it again was difficult and closing it a second time involved a lot more manoeuvring. I am fairly certain that if I attempt to close it in a hurry, maybe not remembering the manoeuvring that is needed, I will damage the laptop hinges. That frightens me, so after about five attempts, each of which made me more and more worried about damaging the laptop, I gave this product up as a lost cause.

That makes it difficult for me to review objectively, but I should state that there are many different makes of laptop, with many different types of hinge system. Just because it wasn't right for me, that does not mean everyone who buys this will have problems.

It's a pity, because with all the bobbles on the bottom of it, there's no way that a laptop fitted with this cover is ever going to slip off your knees. Would I have used it constantly if it had fitted perfectly? Well, maybe for travel purposes but not for everyday use. It also makes it impossible to open the optical drive when it's fitted, so I would need to take it off every time I wish to put a CD in.

Ultrasport Boxing Gear-Series Set two Curved Punch Mitts - Hand Punch Pads with red Hit Point

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent punch mitts, 16 Jun 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A perfect accompaniment to the Ultrasport boxing gloves I received as part of the "Ultrasport Boxing Gear-Series Youth Boxing Set incl. Vinyl Punching Bag 24 x 10 inches (60 x 25 cm) filled, 8 oz Boxing Gloves, 2 sets Bandages, Jump Rope, Ceiling Mount and Transport Rucksack", these punching pads make exercise or training a social exercise - as, apart from any training value, it's fun to take turns punching and catching the punches.

The pads are very well made and remarkably comfortable. For the person punching, there's a red circle in the centre to aim for. The person using these to catch the blows is protected from the majority of the force by the super shock absorbent padding.

5.0 out of 5 stars An impressive punch bag kit, 16 Jun 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The writing on the side of the Ultrasport punching bag says that it's high quality, and I agree that it is. There are several items to this kit and I'll describe them each in turn.

In order to use the punching bag, you need to be able to hang it securely from the ceiling, a door frame or a wooden beam. The mounting hook and fixtures provided are suitably robust and should not cause anyone a problem, assuming they are fixed to a sensible location. In fact, working out where you are going to fix this will probably be your only problem. As for me, I hadn't properly considered the weight until it arrived and, because I live in an old house, I haven't been able to find anywhere for the bracket that I'm truly convinced will take that weight.

The punching bag itself is, understandably, heavy enough to remain sturdy when punched. Even though it's hanging from a hook, it won't swing wildly when you punch it. If you're wondering how I know that given what I've said above, I actually do have a hook already fixed into the kitchen ceiling (like I said, it's an old house and many years ago that hook would have held a side of pork or beef). It's not the ideal place of course, so I'm still trying to work out a suitable location for that bracket.

The 8 oz boxing gloves are also very well made. They are suited for youngsters or people with medium sized hands, but not for those with larger hands. I found them to be comfortable, and they also have holes in the palm to let your skin breathe. They fasten with Velcro and are easy to put on and take off. There is a good amount of cushioning when you punch the punchbag, and doing so is not uncomfortable.

There are two bandage wraps with Velcro on one end and a loop on the other, each one, when unrolled completely, is the length of a small room.

A cheap and cheerful lightweight plastic skipping role is also included.

The last piece of kit is a carry bag to put it all in. It is made from 100% nylon and is strong enough to take the weight without breaking. There are two handles, which allow you to wear it on your back like a rucksack. There is enough room for the boxing gloves to go at the top and it fastens closed with a drawstring.

Pixnor Colorful LED Bluetooth Dancing Water Speakers for iPhone, iPad, Cellphone, PC (Black)
Offered by ibestsky

1.0 out of 5 stars Sounded like a good idea, but the reality is a horrible sounding gimmick, 2 Jun 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As you're probably aware, Amazon Vine reviews are based on free review copies given to the company's longest serving and most active reviewers. It's all transparent, as you can see from the link above, but sometimes we get accused of giving biased reviews because what we're getting is free. I like to think that I always give honest and fair reviews, and if I don't like something then I'll say why I don't like it.

If you're wondering why I've just written that, the reason is that you have to know that this is a free review copy because I have to tell you, if I had bought these speakers on impulse I would be extremely disappointed with them. If I had bought them after serious consideration I would be extremely disappointed with them. I got them for free and, therefore I am only mildly disappointed with them, and though I may feel a bit guilty for rubbishing a product that was given to me in good faith, I do feel I have to be honest about how I feel about these speakers.

Firstly, I can't help feeling that if you're going to make something like this, it has to be on a big scale; it has to be impressive. My first opinion of the four vertical coloured jets (red, blue, green and yellow), when viewed with the lights off, pulsing in time with the music, was "wow" and "ooh", but that lasted all of half a minute before I realised that this was it and it wasn't going to do anything more impressive. I'd imagined dancing water jets changing colour and bouncing off the sides, but the reality of what I got did not live up to that and I very quickly changed my mind from "ooh" and "wow" to "this is a gimmick and a boring one at that".

If you think I'm being harsh, these speakers are expensive but the sound quality is horrible. At low volume the distortion is atrocious, and turning up the volume loud does nothing to improve matters. Poor Ed Sheeran on "I See Fire" sounded like he was being jigged about on a washing machine whilst suffocated in tinfoil. I tried several songs from acoustic to pop and classical and got this effect, and the result of playing rock and dance music was basically unlistenable.

They're also highly annoying. When the music stops, the loud pump noise keeps pulsing several times a second. Unplugging them from the computer stops that, so if you're using bluetooth that's probably not going to be a problem, but then if you are using bluetooth you're going to need to fork out extra for a USB to power plug connection to power these. The extremely small lead between the speakers only allows you to position them an arm and a half's length apart.

With apologies to the manufacturer, and yes I do feel bad for saying this about a free review copy, I have to be honest, and in my opinion this is a poor quality, unimpressive, overpriced gimmick and rather than recommend it, I can only urge you avoid it.

Shatter Me (Deluxe)
Shatter Me (Deluxe)

5.0 out of 5 stars The second of two amazing albums, both of which are worth buying, 2 Jun 2014
This review is from: Shatter Me (Deluxe) (MP3 Download)
I have to thank Microsoft for posting a link to the Shatter Me video on the Xbox Live dashboard, because it led me to watch some of Lindsey Stirling's videos and now I have bought both albums. I'm going to review both at the same time if that's alright. I know doing that is slightly unconventional, but my reason for this is that if you like one album, you will like the other album too.

I like contemporary violin music and I like EDM and dubstep. I've heard electronic music mixed with violin before but I didn't realise it could be done as well as this. I've always been a bit odd in believing that violin music sounds better with a beat behind it, but I have never heard it done as well as this before. I've been playing both albums loudly and often, because I find them extremely uplifting.

The track Shatter Me is unique amongst these tracks as being a rock song, and it's one of two tracks on the Shatter Me album which have a vocal. Featuring Lzzy Hale, it's a powerhouse of a track, and I recommend you see the video for it as well because it's amazingly good. The other guest vocal track, We Are Giants, might be an acquired taste. The eponymously titled first album has one semi-vocal track, which Lindsey sings herself.

Putting the track Shatter Me aside, as it stands in a league of its own, where Lindsey Stirling is at her best is with the instrumental tracks, and in this respect both albums are worth buying. The electronic production is definitely more polished on the second album, but the songs on both albums are great and there are some astonishingly good tracks on the first album, such as Zi-Zi's Journey and Crystallize, which you would miss out on if you just bought the most recent one.

At time of writing this, the second CD is available through import only, but that may well change in time, as the first one is readily available if you prefer physical over download.

Lindsey Stirling
Lindsey Stirling

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing musical experience, 2 Jun 2014
This review is from: Lindsey Stirling (MP3 Download)

Radioactive
Radioactive

4.0 out of 5 stars A good cover track by a cover band? It happens occasionally., 2 Jun 2014
This review is from: Radioactive (MP3 Download)
If I can admit it here, I like this version more than the original. Pentatonix would appear to be a cover band, and I normally look down on cover bands, but I was brought to this song through its link to Lindsey Stirling, who plays violin on the track, and I really like it for what it is.

The production and vocals are well done, so it's not your usual cheap cover band knockoff.

Midnight (Giorgio Moroder Remix)
Midnight (Giorgio Moroder Remix)

5.0 out of 5 stars A hidden gem, 2 Jun 2014
I bought this from the other main online music store, but thought I'd write a review as I can't believe no-one has reviewed this yet.

I love Coldplay's new album, and Midnight is a great track, but I love this version too. Mixing legend Giorgio Moroder (yes he of that Daft Punk track) has put his own spin on this and added some extra lyrics in French. It's not one of those throwaway remixes that tend to accompany some non-dance tracks and make you say "what the… have they done to this song" – it's a genuinely creative take on the song. The short preview you get on here or "the other main online music store" doesn't do it justice – you could do yourself a favour by listening to it in full.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20