Profile for Andromeda Descendent > Reviews

Content by Andromeda Desc...
Top Reviewer Ranking: 580

Andromeda Descendent (Tarn Vedra)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Tacwise 191ELS with 180 Nail Selection Pack & 91 Staple Selection Pack (Bundle Pack)

5.0 out of 5 stars Easier to use than you'd imagine, 23 Dec. 2014
I was sent this nail gun so that I could test out and review some Tacwise nail strips as an independent third party. Although I didn't need to pay for using it, I am completely free to give a positive or a negative review of both nail gun and nail strips. I really liked the 1914ELS Pro, so I wanted to write a review of it as well as the nail strips, which if you are interested can be found at the following link, and are sold in a selection box of 15mm, 25mm and 30mm.

Tacwise 180 NAIL ASSORTMENT PACK (4000) 18G

It's always worth remembering that in the wrong hands tools such as nail guns have the potential to be dangerous. As such, it is always a good idea to read the instructions first. The instructions were clear and left me in no doubt how to load and safely use the nail gun. Fitting the nail strips into the magazine channel is extremely easy. For safety reasons I like to take them out again after use, and this is also very easy. The unit is well balanced and the design of the unit gave me complete confidence in using it. I had no trouble in holding it horizontally or vertically and keeping it steady as I fired the nails in.

With any nail gun, there's going to be some noise and some kickback, but I was surprised at just how little there was compared to what I was expecting. This isn't your typical "industrial" tool – it's something that anyone who wants to do this task could do well and without any vibration damage or strain to themselves. I've used the unit quite extensively over the past couple of days and I have not had any jamming problems or misfires yet. It's actually a lot of fun to use, and it's made me start to understand why my father loves his DIY projects so much.

Tacwise 191ELS Electric Nail Staple Gun
Tacwise 191ELS Electric Nail Staple Gun

5.0 out of 5 stars Easier to use than you'd imagine, 23 Dec. 2014

Tacwise 180 NAIL ASSORTMENT PACK (4000) 18G

With any nail gun, there's going to be some noise and some kickback, but I was surprised at just how little there was compared to what I was expecting. This isn't your typical "industrial" tool - it's something that anyone who wants to do this task could do well and without any vibration damage or strain to themselves. I've used the unit quite extensively over the past couple of days and I have not had any jamming problems or misfires yet. It's actually a lot of fun to use, and it's made me start to understand why my father loves his DIY projects so much.

Philips 5W (50W) GU10 Master LED Value Spot Light, 2700K Warm White, Dimmable
Philips 5W (50W) GU10 Master LED Value Spot Light, 2700K Warm White, Dimmable

5.0 out of 5 stars Dimmable GU10 bulb from Philips, 14 Dec. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This GU10 LED light bulb is made by Philips. I have a number of LED light bulbs by this manufacturer, and I always find them to be of very good quality. It's not possible for any reviewer to test how long these light bulbs will last, but the box this comes in promises a staggering 25,000 hours – or 50,000 on-off cycles – whichever comes first. Unlike a lot of LED light bulbs, this one is dimmable.

The bulb is instant-on gives off a warm white light (noticeably slightly yellow in tint), at 2700 Kelvin. The bulb uses 5.3W of power to give a light intensity of 355 lumen. The EU energy rating is A+.

For anyone wondering about the packaging, it's a square cardboard box, so you're not going to have any trouble getting into it.

DJing For Dummies
DJing For Dummies
by John Steventon

5.0 out of 5 stars An informative guide for new and existing DJs, plus those who daydream of getting behind the decks, 14 Dec. 2014
This review is from: DJing For Dummies (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've often come back from a night out thinking just how cool it would be to be DJ for the night. The closest I've ever got was remixing a couple of tracks at home to enter in remix competitions and playing these to friends. I have a keen interest in EDM and trance and have several favourite DJs whose work I always look out for. So when given the opportunity to find out more about the technical side of what a DJ actually does to make the magic happen, I picked up this book with high expectations.

The range of subjects the book covers is impressive. If you want to start from scratch (unintentional pun, sorry), then John Steventon's writing will serve you very well. He covers different types of analogue and digital set-up, and very importantly he tells you what you will need and why. Different types of set-up will best serve different people, so he tells you what you really need and what you really need to carefully think about. Having read it, I would recommend anyone who is interested in setting themselves up with the equipment to spend some time reading this book as a start.

He then goes on to tell you how to use analogue and digital equipment, how to choose a set list, make a demo, get noticed and gives some dos and don'ts for playing live. He also gets technical without being over-technical. A DJ needs to do a lot of clever little actions, which the listener may not even realise, but which make songs flow into each other without disturbing the rhythm of the people on the dance floor. The information in this section is conveyed in a very understandable way. Beat matching, mixing, cross-fading and scratching are all covered, along with just how important headphones are to a DJ, for reasons the layperson may not fully realise.

Overall, what always had the potential to be interesting but very heavy reading, is made thoroughly readable by the author's relatable style of writing. There are some moments of humour, and he also takes nothing for granted – for example, if you'd always thought that Deadmau5 is pronounced "dead-mow-five" then (firstly, what are you doing reading this book, but secondly) he'll put you right in a small information box called "Deadmau5 for Dummies".

One of the most enjoyable Dummies books I've read.

Verbatim 52612 LED Classic A B22 9 Watt Light Bulb
Verbatim 52612 LED Classic A B22 9 Watt Light Bulb

4.0 out of 5 stars Brighter than "60W equivalent" would suggest, 30 Nov. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have recently received and put up two versions of this lightbulb – a 6W (40W equivalent) and a 9W (60W equivalent). I'm going to cover both in the one review, not through laziness but because having the two to compare means I'm able hopefully to give better advice to you.

These are LED light bulbs, and as such will save you money over the use of traditional ceiling fixture light bulbs. The most important side of this is that they use a lot less electricity, but you will also save money because traditional light bulbs don't really last all that long before you need to replace them. These Verbatim B22 fixture bulbs give 20,000 hours of light before you need to change them, or 100,000 on/off cycles, whichever you reach first. They are "instant on 100%" and are not dimmable.

The warm white (2700K) light emitted is slightly towards the yellow side of the spectrum (where some other bulbs might be "neutral" white or "cool white", meaning slightly towards the blue end).

The 6W version gives 480 lumens of light and the 9W version gives 810 lumens. Although these are described as 40W and 60W equivalents respectively, I did notice that when replacing traditional 60W bulbs the 6W (40W equivalent) was a good replacement for the traditional 60W version and the 9W (60W equivalent) was actually too bright for some rooms. So, in comparison with these traditional light bulbs in my house, the LED bulbs are actually brighter than the equivalent values on the packaging would suggest. Although I'm informing you for review purposes that this is what I experienced from them, I am happy with both bulbs because I just altered which rooms they are put in so that the light level was right for what I wanted.

Verbatim 52619 LED Classic A B22 6 Watt Light Bulb
Verbatim 52619 LED Classic A B22 6 Watt Light Bulb
Offered by UKStocked

5.0 out of 5 stars Brighter than 40W equivalent – good replacement for a 60W traditional, 30 Nov. 2014

Verbatim 52608 GU10 5 Watt Light Bulb
Verbatim 52608 GU10 5 Watt Light Bulb

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality GU10 bulb, 26 Nov. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a 5W GU10 spot bulb which produces a 51W equivalent light at 350 lumens, and therefore claims a 90% energy saving. This gives it an A+ EU energy rating. It has a lifespan of 20,000 hours or 100,000 on/off cycles. It is not dimmable.

The light it produces is described as warm white and is slightly towards the yellow end of the spectrum. On the bulb itself it gives a figure of 2700K.

The light coming from it does seem a bit wider than some other spot lights I have. In the right place that isn't a bad thing. A diagram on the back of the packet shows 35 degrees and 750cd. I can't say I know what "cd" is for certain, although I'd take a guess at "candela"?

Quality wise, the bulb is solid with no cracks or scratches. It has the technical details near the base so you can see what it is if you lose the packet.

Supa-Fix APX4 Ultra Strength Adhesive and Reinforcing Filling Powders
Supa-Fix APX4 Ultra Strength Adhesive and Reinforcing Filling Powders

5.0 out of 5 stars A valuable tool in the household toolbox, 26 Nov. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Before I start this review, which is going to be extremely positive by the way, a plea to the manufacturer – more colours please! There are so many different uses I'd like to put this to.

This set of ultra strength adhesive and reinforcing filling powders is just the thing for repairing cracked and damaged objects. You have black and grey powders (10ml each), and two small bottles of 10ml adhesive. Pour a little powder into the crack (if it's an irregular surface put some masking tape behind it first) and then go over it with a few drops of the adhesive. It sets quickly and it's very strong. I mended my grandfather's magnifying glass, which is a lens in a frame which had cracked so the lens no longer stayed put inside it. It's now firmly holding that lens, although the grey colour of the powder doesn't match the cream coloured frame. I have objects in need of just this treatment which are red and navy blue too, which is why I would love to see a range of powder colours available.

The instructions are small but adequate. There is some safety advice which warns you that the reaction caused by the glue and powder could burn skin, so you need to be very careful. It's not for use by children, and even for young adults I'd recommend adult supervision – or probably just leave it to the adult to do for them.

It's a valuable tool in the toolbox, because it allows you to mend and keep using things you might otherwise consider throwing away. In some cases, it might even be the cheaper solution.

Leitz Style 40 Pocket Display Book - Garnet Red
Leitz Style 40 Pocket Display Book - Garnet Red

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice display book, 23 Nov. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This display book from Leitz is both good looking and of a good quality. I like the cover, which is a shiny burgundy colour outside and a muted grey inside. There are 40 pockets and they are easy to insert paper into and are well bound into the spine. Some cheap display books I have owned have not been so well bound, and the plastic has been too thin and easy to crumple, but this display book is problem free – no problems with static or crumpling here.

It has rounded corners and a label on the spine, two features that I like in this type of folder.

I will get a lot of use from this, and when I need to get another then I will definitely get one from this range.

Philips E14 Small Edison Screw 6 Watt LED Dimmable Luster, Warm White
Philips E14 Small Edison Screw 6 Watt LED Dimmable Luster, Warm White

5.0 out of 5 stars Great bulb for a bedside lamp, 23 Nov. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It's almost a shame to put this interesting looking light bulb into a lamp with a shade on, where it won't be directly seen unless you look straight down at it, but I had a lamp that needed upgrading from standard to LED light and this fitted the bill perfectly. It gives the equivalent of 40W of light whilst using 6W of power. It is also dimmable.

Another LED bulb, which I have used in the companion lamp to the one I'm talking about, gives a nice spread of light, but this one very noticeably spreads it out much wider around the room. That may well be down to the very nice and unusual design.

The tone of light it gives off is very good too, and far better than you get from a standard bulb. I'm very pleased with it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20