Profile for Andromeda Descendent > Reviews

Content by Andromeda Desc...
Top Reviewer Ranking: 547

Andromeda Descendent (Tarn Vedra)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Four Square Media 1 X CD DVD / BLU RAY 22mm Black DVD 6 Way Case for 6 Disc - Pack of 1
Offered by Four Square Media

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Square Media 6DVD case, 13 Jan. 2015
I needed an add-on item so as not to pay postage on a recent order (or at least get something for the extra money), and luckily this was on a discounted price at the time.

The spine size is not the standard DVD width, so if you're looking to put a commercial release sleeve in it then chances are that it's not going to fit. The listing does say of course that it's a 22mm spine, so this isn't unexpected. I just wanted to store some home-written audio CDs in one box so that wasn't a consideration.

The box seems well made. It clips shut with a satisfying clunk and has a plastic sleeve to put an insert into if you have one of that size, or are making one yourself.

There's a bit of a noticeable chemical smell when you open it. Most plastic cases don't really smell of much of anything, so that was a bit disappointing, but it's the only negative point I experienced.

Live from the Union Chapel (EP)
Live from the Union Chapel (EP)

4.0 out of 5 stars Grand Union (Chapel), 12 Jan. 2015
Some people may have come to this album because of the cover of Kate Bush's classic song "Moments of Pleasure", so may not be aware that during 2014 Nerina Pallot released a new EP every month of the year. This is the one and only of these EPs to be from a live recording, and it features her two best known songs – "Everybody's Gone To War" and "Sophia" – along with the more recent "This Will Be Our Year" from her Year of the Wolf album, and fan favourite rarity "Buckminster Fuller".

As a long term Nerina fan, I might have been here writing words of praise about her cover of "Moments of Pleasure", but as someone who appreciates Kate Bush as well, I personally find it a competent cover, which must have been great to listen to at the Union Chapel, but also find it unnervingly out of place on a live EP recording. I'd much prefer to use my remaining words here to say that amongst the 12 EPs of 2014 there are some really outstanding songs. Okay, there's some also-rans, but I found at least 30 songs out of the total 55 studio recorded tracks across the other 11 titles which I really found fantastic, and recommend that you pick a few of these EPs at random and take a chance on some time listening to the previews.

AEG Steam Generator DBS2300-U, 2300 Watt, Watermelon Red/ White
AEG Steam Generator DBS2300-U, 2300 Watt, Watermelon Red/ White
Offered by Premier Products

4.0 out of 5 stars A great way to iron, 12 Jan. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
We had some initial doubts about the size of the AEG Steam Station, but the really good thing about having a base station connected by a cable is that the handheld iron is far lighter than any steam iron we've used before. The base station is heavy but – bearing in mind that even heavy units can slip on work surfaces if you pull the cable too much – the non-slip rubber feet are what really give it the stability that's needed. Removing the almost industrial sized water tank for filling is very easy, and it clips back into place with no fuss at all.

It almost seems no time at all until the ready light comes on, and the dial at the top of the handheld iron works like an electric oven dial in that you turn it to its maximum and down to the setting you want, and when the light goes out you are ready to go. The steam comes out perfectly and it's very easy to use. The rubber grips on the top of the base unit hold the iron fast, even when it's accidentally put on at an angle. The cord is, as you would expect, warm to the touch – maybe a bit hotter than warm, but no so much that it would hurt to have it brush against skin.

It seems almost perfect, but there was one issue we experienced that may be a design quirk or may be newness. The steam ready lamp kept going off during use, and when it does that the steam button is unresponsive. Instead of uninterrupted ironing, we have not yet had a session with it where it has not cut out several times for short periods during the ironing, causing an annoyed wait of several seconds until it decides it's ready to let us have steam again. I must stress that it is only for short periods, but on occasions it will let us have steam again only for the light to go out again immediately afterwards. There is a yellow "Caution" leaflet in with the instructions that may be referring to this when it says the following:

"It may be possible that your steam station does not produce steam immediately after filling it with water for the first time or refilling the tank. The reason for this is that air trapped in the inner system can delay this function a few seconds. Please be patient and try it again by pressing the steam button. For your convenience, the steam will appear after you press the steam button for a few seconds and it is not necessary to press the button all the time. Find out your rhythm for the best steaming result"

I'm not sure if this means that what I have described is to be expected as part of use, but in order to store the unit we have been emptying the tank between uses (something it refers to in that yellow insert). Maybe if the unit is left with water in it between uses, this will not happen or will happen less. The slight annoyance that comes from the unit sometimes deciding when you can have steam on its terms rather than yours should be something you should be aware of, but not something you should focus too much on – as I said earlier, it happens for just a small fraction of the time when using this – and the ease of use and the very good job it does make it a quirk of use that we personally can shrug off and live with for the sake of the benefits the unit gives us.

Guilty Gadgets - 10M Metre Male to Male RF TV Aerial Lead Cable Coaxial Extension Female Digital with Coupler
Offered by Guilty Gadgets

5.0 out of 5 stars Robust cable with good connectors, 5 Jan. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This 10m TV aerial cable works just as you'd expect it to. I already have a long extension to the TV but even plugging this in on the end of it gives a perfect signal, with no drop-off even for the Freeview high definition channels. It gives me confidence that I can relocate the TV without having to worry about the signal degrading.

The sockets fit perfectly with the TV equipment and the coupler goes on and off easily, which you might take for granted, but I have another coupler bought from a local electrical store which has always been a real pain to unplug and plug back in again. It's not often that you'd need to change sockets, but it makes you appreciate when something does come on and off smoothly.

The other thing I look for in cables is that the ends are fixed on firmly and aren't going to come away from the wire when you pull them. This cable has ends that grip firmly to the wire, making this a good robust purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nailed it, 23 Dec. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I used these Tacwise nails in the 191ELS Pro Master Nailer, which I have reviewed separately. My father loves his DIY work and it was a pleasure to use this product to help him out over the past few days.

The nails in this pack come in three sizes - 15mm, 25mm and 30mm. They come in magazines; the nails being all stuck together in a row and separated one by one when then nail gun fires them. There are 2000 of the 15mm and 1000 each of the other two lengths.

Given the right nail gun, they go in flawlessly. With the 191ELS I had no problems, no jamming at all.

Tacwise 191ELS with 180 Nail Selection Pack & 91 Staple Selection Pack (Bundle Pack)

5.0 out of 5 stars Easier to use than you'd imagine, 23 Dec. 2014
I was sent this nail gun so that I could test out and review some Tacwise nail strips as an independent third party. Although I didn't need to pay for using it, I am completely free to give a positive or a negative review of both nail gun and nail strips. I really liked the 1914ELS Pro, so I wanted to write a review of it as well as the nail strips, which if you are interested can be found at the following link, and are sold in a selection box of 15mm, 25mm and 30mm.

Tacwise 180 NAIL ASSORTMENT PACK (4000) 18G

It's always worth remembering that in the wrong hands tools such as nail guns have the potential to be dangerous. As such, it is always a good idea to read the instructions first. The instructions were clear and left me in no doubt how to load and safely use the nail gun. Fitting the nail strips into the magazine channel is extremely easy. For safety reasons I like to take them out again after use, and this is also very easy. The unit is well balanced and the design of the unit gave me complete confidence in using it. I had no trouble in holding it horizontally or vertically and keeping it steady as I fired the nails in.

With any nail gun, there's going to be some noise and some kickback, but I was surprised at just how little there was compared to what I was expecting. This isn't your typical "industrial" tool – it's something that anyone who wants to do this task could do well and without any vibration damage or strain to themselves. I've used the unit quite extensively over the past couple of days and I have not had any jamming problems or misfires yet. It's actually a lot of fun to use, and it's made me start to understand why my father loves his DIY projects so much.

Tacwise 191ELS Electric Nail Staple Gun
Tacwise 191ELS Electric Nail Staple Gun

5.0 out of 5 stars Easier to use than you'd imagine, 23 Dec. 2014

Tacwise 180 NAIL ASSORTMENT PACK (4000) 18G

With any nail gun, there's going to be some noise and some kickback, but I was surprised at just how little there was compared to what I was expecting. This isn't your typical "industrial" tool - it's something that anyone who wants to do this task could do well and without any vibration damage or strain to themselves. I've used the unit quite extensively over the past couple of days and I have not had any jamming problems or misfires yet. It's actually a lot of fun to use, and it's made me start to understand why my father loves his DIY projects so much.

Philips 5W (50W) GU10 Master LED Value Spot Light, 2700K Warm White, Dimmable
Philips 5W (50W) GU10 Master LED Value Spot Light, 2700K Warm White, Dimmable

5.0 out of 5 stars Dimmable GU10 bulb from Philips, 14 Dec. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This GU10 LED light bulb is made by Philips. I have a number of LED light bulbs by this manufacturer, and I always find them to be of very good quality. It's not possible for any reviewer to test how long these light bulbs will last, but the box this comes in promises a staggering 25,000 hours – or 50,000 on-off cycles – whichever comes first. Unlike a lot of LED light bulbs, this one is dimmable.

The bulb is instant-on gives off a warm white light (noticeably slightly yellow in tint), at 2700 Kelvin. The bulb uses 5.3W of power to give a light intensity of 355 lumen. The EU energy rating is A+.

For anyone wondering about the packaging, it's a square cardboard box, so you're not going to have any trouble getting into it.

DJing For Dummies
DJing For Dummies
by John Steventon

5.0 out of 5 stars An informative guide for new and existing DJs, plus those who daydream of getting behind the decks, 14 Dec. 2014
This review is from: DJing For Dummies (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've often come back from a night out thinking just how cool it would be to be DJ for the night. The closest I've ever got was remixing a couple of tracks at home to enter in remix competitions and playing these to friends. I have a keen interest in EDM and trance and have several favourite DJs whose work I always look out for. So when given the opportunity to find out more about the technical side of what a DJ actually does to make the magic happen, I picked up this book with high expectations.

The range of subjects the book covers is impressive. If you want to start from scratch (unintentional pun, sorry), then John Steventon's writing will serve you very well. He covers different types of analogue and digital set-up, and very importantly he tells you what you will need and why. Different types of set-up will best serve different people, so he tells you what you really need and what you really need to carefully think about. Having read it, I would recommend anyone who is interested in setting themselves up with the equipment to spend some time reading this book as a start.

He then goes on to tell you how to use analogue and digital equipment, how to choose a set list, make a demo, get noticed and gives some dos and don'ts for playing live. He also gets technical without being over-technical. A DJ needs to do a lot of clever little actions, which the listener may not even realise, but which make songs flow into each other without disturbing the rhythm of the people on the dance floor. The information in this section is conveyed in a very understandable way. Beat matching, mixing, cross-fading and scratching are all covered, along with just how important headphones are to a DJ, for reasons the layperson may not fully realise.

Overall, what always had the potential to be interesting but very heavy reading, is made thoroughly readable by the author's relatable style of writing. There are some moments of humour, and he also takes nothing for granted – for example, if you'd always thought that Deadmau5 is pronounced "dead-mow-five" then (firstly, what are you doing reading this book, but secondly) he'll put you right in a small information box called "Deadmau5 for Dummies".

One of the most enjoyable Dummies books I've read.

Verbatim 52612 LED Classic A B22 9 Watt Light Bulb
Verbatim 52612 LED Classic A B22 9 Watt Light Bulb

4.0 out of 5 stars Brighter than "60W equivalent" would suggest, 30 Nov. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have recently received and put up two versions of this lightbulb – a 6W (40W equivalent) and a 9W (60W equivalent). I'm going to cover both in the one review, not through laziness but because having the two to compare means I'm able hopefully to give better advice to you.

These are LED light bulbs, and as such will save you money over the use of traditional ceiling fixture light bulbs. The most important side of this is that they use a lot less electricity, but you will also save money because traditional light bulbs don't really last all that long before you need to replace them. These Verbatim B22 fixture bulbs give 20,000 hours of light before you need to change them, or 100,000 on/off cycles, whichever you reach first. They are "instant on 100%" and are not dimmable.

The warm white (2700K) light emitted is slightly towards the yellow side of the spectrum (where some other bulbs might be "neutral" white or "cool white", meaning slightly towards the blue end).

The 6W version gives 480 lumens of light and the 9W version gives 810 lumens. Although these are described as 40W and 60W equivalents respectively, I did notice that when replacing traditional 60W bulbs the 6W (40W equivalent) was a good replacement for the traditional 60W version and the 9W (60W equivalent) was actually too bright for some rooms. So, in comparison with these traditional light bulbs in my house, the LED bulbs are actually brighter than the equivalent values on the packaging would suggest. Although I'm informing you for review purposes that this is what I experienced from them, I am happy with both bulbs because I just altered which rooms they are put in so that the light level was right for what I wanted.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20