Profile for Andromeda Descendent > Reviews

Content by Andromeda Desc...
Top Reviewer Ranking: 612

Andromeda Descendent (Tarn Vedra)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Basic English Grammar For Dummies
Basic English Grammar For Dummies
by Consumer Dummies

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a quick reference guide, but will help you if you spend serious time with it, 28 Nov. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I spent a couple of hours with this book today, and can see how it would be useful for a child or adult who is learning grammar, or who actually does have relatively good grammar but wishes to find out all the rules and terminology. I have relatively good knowledge of how to use grammar, but wouldn't be able to tell you much about why I phrase sentences the way I do. In other words, I know the rules of grammar without necessarily knowing what those rules are called. So in that respect I found this book mildly interesting.

What I had hoped to find this book useful for was those little moments when a sentence just doesn't look right and I want to check if I am using the right grammar. I had thought up a few examples, which I wanted to check out, but after using the index I was mostly pointed to just one page which gave the relevant rule and the most basic of examples. Nothing complicated; nothing that would tax the mind. I was often looking backwards and forwards in the neighbouring pages looking for something more complicated.

The book's use of "right" and "wrong" examples falls into the trap of trying to make the "right" example seem obvious by making the "wrong" example so obviously wrong that most people with even intermediate language skills would never have considered the possibility of them being right in the first place. It would have been far better to put some more advanced examples of where sentences can go wrong, because there are times in real life when you are going to wonder whether a sentence or use of grammar is correct and wish to look it up in a book such as this to check on it. In your head it can sound right, but when you come to write it down you can have doubts.

That's my way of saying that this book is not really a "quick reference book" in my opinion. It's interesting though, and the more time you spend reading, the more you will get out of it. It's definitely a book to read all the way through, rather than something that will help you out quickly in a pinch. Importantly, it does leave you feeling more confident with grammar and that's a good result.

L'Oreal Men Expert Shave Revolution Sensitive - 150 ml
L'Oreal Men Expert Shave Revolution Sensitive - 150 ml

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy glider, 16 Nov. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
L'Oreal's Shave Revolution range would appear to come in a variety of colours, and black as well. So far I have tried the orange "Energising" gel, the yellow "Antibacterial" gel and – my favourite, the black "Extreme Glide" gel. This blue variety is aimed at those with sensitive skin. I would put myself into that category, and the others in the range did not cause me any problems in that area. I still prefer the Extreme Glide, as I think it has a better smell, but this gel is still very good and although it doesn't lather, meaning you will use up the tube relatively quickly, even the cheapest made razor will glide effortlessly across your face and I have not cut myself once whilst shaving with these gels; that's a big selling point as far as I'm concerned. I'd definitely recommend trying the range and finding a version you like best.

L'Oreal Men Expert Hydra Sensitive Wash - 150 ml
L'Oreal Men Expert Hydra Sensitive Wash - 150 ml

5.0 out of 5 stars Fresh and relaxing, 16 Nov. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This pH neutral and alcohol free cream face wash lives up to its promise of making my skin feel smoother and having an "immediate sensation of comfort". For some reason I can't quite identify, I actually do feel more relaxed when using it.

Far, far better than using ordinary soap, it also compares very favourably to major brand cream soaps. It has a clean and pleasant smell, lathers up nicely and is easy to wash off. Having become accustomed to using it now, I may find myself buying more when the tube is finished.

Air Wick Cherry Blossom Pure Air Freshener 250 ml (Pack of 3)
Air Wick Cherry Blossom Pure Air Freshener 250 ml (Pack of 3)

3.0 out of 5 stars Let it disperse, store with caution, 10 Nov. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I like cherry blossom as a choice for air fresheners and sprays, and so do the family, but going on experience of different manufacturers it is a difficult fragrance to get right. Many brands can smell a bit sickly, and I do find that this one is guilty of that because when I spray it I have to leave the room for a minute before re-entering because I don’t like that sickly element of it. Given a minute to disperse it smells good, and we all like it. So it will get used, but I don’t like being the one who has to spray it.

Of course, it should be used in a well ventilated room, as it dutifully tells you on the can, but even in a well ventilated room it's not good to hang around and breathe it in, as the instructions warn you in several different ways how dangerous it is to breath in when concentrated or to get in your eyes. It is also extremely flammable, and I'm not exaggerating by saying that – it actually uses those very words and a big DANGER logo, and it tells you all about how the pressurised container should not be exposed to heat or sunlight as there is a risk of it exploding. You are warned not to put it in the reach of children or pets, and as long as you follow all the advice and store it responsibly it's no more dangerous than many other household products, but there are many much safer alternatives to this sort of product out there.

L'Oreal Paris Revitalift Cleansing Wipes
L'Oreal Paris Revitalift Cleansing Wipes

5.0 out of 5 stars Neat, 10 Nov. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These are strong wipes with a pleasant fragrance and a decent size to them. The packet scores top marks for keeping the moisture in, with a plastic lid that seals tight with a solid click and a sticky peel-back tab underneath. It's an ideal travel pack size and has 25 wipes in it. There is no mention of having any active ingredient which people may be allergic to, but if you need to check then the list of ingredients is along the packet's side in reasonably sized lettering. It also says on the packet that it is suitable for use around the delectate eye area.

Dirt Devil DDW03-E01 Rinse/Wash and Dry Carpet Washer, 1350 W, White/ Red
Dirt Devil DDW03-E01 Rinse/Wash and Dry Carpet Washer, 1350 W, White/ Red

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid unit and solid results, 1 Nov. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
In our house we vacuum the carpets regularly, and occasionally (okay, extremely occasionally) we wash them. If you've never washed a carpet you would be surprised, maybe even horrified at the black – yes black, not dark or murky, but extremely black – liquid that you end up with in the dirty water tank. It really makes you glad you took the time and effort to wash them. The Dirt Devil carpet washer is shaped much the same as an upright vacuum cleaner, albeit one which takes a larger footprint of storage space, it is loud and it is heavy, but it is also extremely powerful and very effective. Let me qualify that last word. How "effective" the results are will vary from carpet to carpet. We have a stair and landing carpet that has a swirl pattern of reds and browns. The reds were not much lighter after cleaning because they were dark originally, but it has really brought out the contrast between the reds and the lighter browns. We also have a dark blue carpet which is now cleaner, but has not changed its depth of colour, and nor would we expect or want it to.

This model is, as I mentioned above, big, bulky, heavy and noisy. If I used this every week I would class all those as bad things. However for occasional use I don't see them as being a problem. The noise means it is powerful. The weight means that when I use the hose and attachment brush to do the stairs I put the unit sideways and am pretty confident it's not going to fall down the stairs and hurt me. Not that I would clean the stairs alone without someone else in the family holding onto the unit, because it's common sense to have someone with you in that situation. The hose attachment is long enough to do all the stairs provided you leave the base unit at the bottom of the stairs for the bottom half and put it on the landing (we have a small "turnabout landing" before the last three steps) for the top half. The hose and brush attachment – usually the weakest link in any vacuum cleaner – is really well designed and effective for stair cleaning. Yes, there are a few things I would improve if I had the power to, such as a proper way of gathering the power cable for storage, but overall I am very pleased with this Dirt Devil and its results.

L'Oreal Men Expert Pure and Matte Scrub - 150 ml
L'Oreal Men Expert Pure and Matte Scrub - 150 ml

3.0 out of 5 stars It's okay, but I wouldn't use it daily, 1 Nov. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
We had a bonfire yesterday, and with all the soot and ash that was in the air it was a perfect time to test out this "deep exfoliating wash" with its "exfoliating microbeads". I usually just use soap and water to clean my face, but soap leaves my skin feeling a bit tight. After using this and washing it off, my skin did not feel as tight but of course this is an abrasive product, which feels very gritty as you apply it and massage it across your face, and I can't really say that I liked doing that or noticed much benefit afterwards. I have cleaned my nose with it a few time over the last few days hoping it might be good on removing grease and blackheads. It does seem good at that, but it leaves my nose feeling like it's been scrubbed for about half an hour after use and I don't think I want to put up with that daily.

I have a question too; maybe someone can answer me in the comments. Are these "exfoliating microbeads" biodegradable? Or are they actually a type of plastic? I recycle all my plastics but I can't recycle what goes down the drain.

L'Oreal Men Expert Shave Anti-Revolution - 150 ml
L'Oreal Men Expert Shave Anti-Revolution - 150 ml
Offered by Bargainperfumeshop

4.0 out of 5 stars "Antibacterial" gel, and how it compares to some others in the range, 29 Oct. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have tried three different trial versions of L'Oreal's Shave Revolution gel over the past week and a bit and, as someone who usually uses sensitive skin versions of shaving products I can happily say I had no irritation or other averse reaction. In fact – even though I usually use foam rather than gel – I liked the difference because I didn't nick my skin with the razor blade once. The downside is that you need to use "a generous amount of gel", as the packet puts it, so you're going to need to buy replacement tubes a lot more than you do with foam producing containers.

The three I tried are this one the yellow "Antibacterial" gel and another two: the black "Extreme Glide" gel and the orange "Energising" gel.

I have reviewed the black "Extreme Glide" gel separately and have given it 5 stars because I like its smell and also like that whilst the used gel that drips into the washbasin needs a bit of washing away before the basin is clean, that used gel is easy to see and therefore easy to clean away. This yellow gel isn't that easy to spot when it's used an in the basin, so it has a disadvantage compared to the other one. It has that in common with the orange "Energising" gel, but whereas I didn't find that one to have as refreshing a smell as I would like, this yellow "Antibacterial" gel I actually found much more refreshing and pleasant a smell – surprising perhaps, because you don’t tend to associate the word "Antibacterial" with fresh and pleasant smells. So this is my second favourite out of the three, coming after the black "Extreme Glide" gel and ahead of the orange "Energising" gel.

L'Oreal Men Expert Shave Revolution Energy - 150 ml
L'Oreal Men Expert Shave Revolution Energy - 150 ml
Offered by Pharmacyfix

3.0 out of 5 stars "Energising" gel, and how it compares to some others in the range, 29 Oct. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

The three I tried are this one the orange "Energising" gel and another two: the black "Extreme Glide" gel and the yellow "Antibacterial" gel.

I have reviewed the black "Extreme Glide" gel separately and have given it 5 stars because I like its smell and also like that whilst the used gel that drips into the washbasin needs a bit of washing away before the basin is clean, that used gel is easy to see and therefore easy to clean away. This orange gel isn't that easy to spot when it's used an in the basin, so it has a disadvantage compared to the other one. The other thing I didn't really take to is the smell. it's described as energising, but – and I know opinions about smell are subjective – it smelled more like medicinal soap or shampoo to me and I was more on the leave it side of take it or leave it. Ironically, I found the "Antibacterial" version of the gel to be much more refreshing and pleasant smelling. So whilst I would happily buy either of those other two again, I didn't really take to this version.

L'Oreal Men Expert Shave Revolution Glide - 150 ml
L'Oreal Men Expert Shave Revolution Glide - 150 ml

5.0 out of 5 stars "Extreme Glide" gel – My favourite of the 3 I have tried in this range, 29 Oct. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

The three I tried are this the black "Extreme Glide" gel, and another two: the orange "Energising" gel and the yellow "Antibacterial" gel.

The product you are looking at the review for now is called "Extreme Glide" and it comes in a black tube. That's not just a marketing choice, for the gel itself is actually black, and that surprised me at first because when it landed in the white sink it was very obvious and made it look like I had shaved off a lot more hair than was actually on my face. But then I realised that because the gel does not lather it takes a while to wash it off the bottom of the washbasin, and because the gel is black it's actually easier to clean the basin because you can see where it is. You're probably thinking it's odd that I'm saying that's a good thing, but after trying out two less obvious colours in this range I was glad that I could see where the gel was so I could clean the basin. I didn't like the fact that the other two gels also stuck to the washbasin but it was difficult to see whether they'd washed away or were still there.

The other thing I like about the "Extreme Glide" gel is the smell, which is something that L'Oreal have got spot on – the kind men like wearing and women like their men wearing – and yes I will be buying more of this once the trial tube is used up.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20