Profile for Andromeda Descendent > Reviews

Content by Andromeda Desc...
Top Reviewer Ranking: 497
Helpful Votes: 1967

Andromeda Descendent (Tarn Vedra)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Elastic Heart
Elastic Heart
Price: 0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Another stunning track from the Catching Fire soundtrack, 25 Nov 2013
This review is from: Elastic Heart (MP3 Download)
When I heard this on the radio I was blown away. You may remember Sia from the huge David Guetta hit Titanium (feat. Sia) [Extended], and if you do then you'll also remember she has a really distinctive vocal style. This original song (which I originally thought to be a cover, but amazingly it's not), also features guest vocals by The Weeknd and outstanding production by Diplo. With this and Coldplay's Atlas (From "The Hunger Games: Catching Fire" Soundtrack), the The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) definitely deserves a closer look for more audio treasures.

Atlas
Atlas

5.0 out of 5 stars Best non-album Coldplay song ever, 25 Nov 2013
This review is from: Atlas (MP3 Download)
It's amazing sometimes how fantastic songs like this somehow manage to end up on film soundtracks instead of studio albums. For some artists it's a good way of offloading the rubbish they wouldn't even put out as "B-sides", but Coldplay have given this soundtrack one of their finest songs, and that amazes me.

This Means War (Psychosomatic Video Mix) [feat. Joanna Stevens]
This Means War (Psychosomatic Video Mix) [feat. Joanna Stevens]

5.0 out of 5 stars Sleepthief returns, 25 Nov 2013
Sleepthief is a hidden treasure in the electronic dance music world. With songs that are more to the ethereal side of chillout (think Delerium), his music is unlikely to feature on Radio 1 or commercial radio, but for those in the know, every track - a collaboration with guest vocalists - is worth repeated listening. Having said that, this track has a very commercial feel to it. Will it break through into the mainstream? Maybe not, but that only means that it's even more of a special find to those who discover it.

Running to the Sea
Running to the Sea
Price: 1.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Röyksopp at their best, 25 Nov 2013
This review is from: Running to the Sea (MP3 Download)
I bought Running to the Sea when it was out the first time, in early 2013, and it's since become my most played Röyksopp track. It's been re-released following commercial success in Röyksopp's home Norway. I really hope commercial radio here gives it the chance it deserves, as it's a wrenchingly beautiful song.

Whilst I haven't bought it twice (so it may not say "verified purchase" above this), I have just bought the B-side, Something in my Heart without listening to it first. I am so glad I took that chance on it, as it's also a really beautiful song, more in the chillout vein, featuring wistful vocals by Jamie McDermott from British band The Irrepressibles.

More Chilling Ghost Stories (Audiogo)
More Chilling Ghost Stories (Audiogo)
by Charles Dickens
Edition: Audio CD

5.0 out of 5 stars All chiller, no filler, 25 Nov 2013
A follow-up to AudioGo's 2012 release Chilling Ghost Stories, this is another collection of four classic ghost stories, this time with Stephen Greif and Gareth Armstrong as narrator on CD1 and CD2 respectively.

Both CDs follow the pattern of M. R. James for the first, longer story and Charles Dickens for the second, shorter story. The two M. R. James tales are The Tractate Middoth and Casting The Runes, both of which I found really drew me in and held my attention to the end. The two Charles Dickens stories are Mr Testator's Visitation (an interesting inclusion, as whether or not it is a ghost story or an odd occurrence is left up to the listener to decide) and The Trial for Murder (unquestionably a ghost story).

I like the packaging of this collection as well, as indeed I did of the first collection. It's worth noting that the cover image shown at the top of this page currently credits Mr Testator's Visitation to M. R. James, but the correct name does appear above the title on the actual cover.

I would like to urge AudioGo to keep putting these collections out, as there's nothing I like better of a cold autumn or winter's evening than putting the lights out and listening to a good old-time ghost story.

AA 3W Cree LED Zoom Torch
AA 3W Cree LED Zoom Torch
Price: 16.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Compact, handy, bright torch, 25 Nov 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This AA branded torch is a powerful 80 lumens and the ideal torch to keep in the car for the occasion it is needed, or just to carry around with you. It's a reasonable weight, not heavy enough to bother you in pocket, and it has a nylon carry strap. The battery requirements are a very reasonable 3 x AAA battery, and your first three come in the packaging. Fitting the batteries is an easy action, as are the other two main actions - switching the torch on is done by a click button on the end (much better than turning the torch head, which seems to be standard on a lot of cheaper torches), and focusing the beam is simply done by sliding the torch head forwards and backwards.

The material is rugged and, according to the instructions, the torch is weatherproof. As this is written underneath an image of a rain cloud, I can certainly believe that, but I'm not sure if it claims the same about falling in a puddle. But I guess that if you use the nylon strap there's less chance of that. The spot light function shows a clear image of the LED bulb, which is a bit odd, but not off-putting. I've got a few torches about the house, but they're all cheap ones, so this one is my new favourite. If you're looking to buy a torch then you might want to double check the price before adding to basket, but I would say that the quality is what I'd expect for the money.

AA Car Essentials CREE LED Head Torch 3 W
AA Car Essentials CREE LED Head Torch 3 W

4.0 out of 5 stars A light in dark places, 25 Nov 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
First impressions of this headband torch when I switched it on were "Damn, that's bright!" Even reflected off my hand when first holding it, I had to look away. The main selling point of this torch, of course, is that you wear it on your head, so caution is definitely advised when there are other people about. Luckily, the 100-lumen bulb can be dimmed using a switch on the back of the battery compartment.

Adjusting the elasticised headband is easy, and with the smooth edges and padded surfaces on the torch at the front and battery unit at the back, I also found it a lot more comfortable than I'd expected. Switching the torch on is easy, as is using the dimmer switch (the family had some fun with comments about a dimmer switch on the back of my head!) Not as impressive was turning the lens to change between spot and flood, which on my model at least is extremely stiff and doesn't go all the way.

You could use this light in a number of circumstances. The obvious one is if your car breaks down at night, and to help get the attention of the recovery vehicle should you need it there is a strobe effect on the second press of the on button. This could just as easily draw attention if you are lost somewhere remote at night. The head torch could also be used when insulating the loft or other tasks where you need two hands to work.

Mediflow Waterbase Fibrefill Pillow, Regular Size
Mediflow Waterbase Fibrefill Pillow, Regular Size
Price: 39.84

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressed, 14 Nov 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I wasn't too sure that I'd done the right thing in ordering a water-pillow, but then I tried it out and it really is as comfortable as it claims. On the back of the cardboard sales label, the biggest instruction booklet you have ever seen tells you step by step how to fill the pillow with water, how much to put in to give it the right level of firmness for you, and how to prevent air pockets from forming so that the water doesn't slosh. The result gave good support and I fell asleep right away the moment I put my head on it. Luckily for me, I managed to put in the right amount of water for my preference the first time around, but if you have problems and need to adjust, then that is easy enough to do so.

Dinosaur Christmas
Dinosaur Christmas
by Jerry Palotta
Price: 5.42

5.0 out of 5 stars Best dinosaur / Father Christmas crossover ever, 3 Nov 2013
This review is from: Dinosaur Christmas (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
We all know that humans and dinosaurs never shared the planet, but this is a children's story about Father Christmas, so when Santa is asked "what did you use to pull your sleigh before you had reindeer?", the question "just who are you delivering to anyway, seeing as humans (and that presumably includes you, Santa), have not evolved yet," unsurprisingly never comes up.

But it makes for several funny situations, as one by one the lovingly illustrated panels take us through the various mishaps Father Christmas had when... wait for it...

Triceratops,
Apatosaurus,
Ankylosaurus,
Zephyrosaurus and
Nodosaurus

...each took their turn in pulling his sleigh. Now, after reading that list of very long and difficult to pronounce words you're probably having a thought. How are children supposed to pronounce those names? Personally I couldn't be happier to see all these real dinosaur names spelt out in full without any attempt to shorten them into "Velo" or "Steggy", or the like. And lets face it, Children love long words in read-with-mummy-or-daddy stories, especially when their parents are valiantly struggling to pronounce them.

This is an excellent and very funny children's story, that I am certain is not just going to be loved by children. Mum and Dad may end up reading this again and again on their own - even if it's just to practice saying all those really long words!

Treasure Island
Treasure Island
by Robert Louis Stevenson
Edition: Audio CD

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic adventure, 3 Nov 2013
This review is from: Treasure Island (Audio CD)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I had forgotten just how good a story Treasure Island is. I know why I had forgotten: It's been ripped off so many times that elements of it - the pirate with a wooden leg, a parrot screeching "pieces of eight", and so on - immediately bring up negative associations, but it's important to remember that all of this was actually new and original to readers of the time. What's more important though, is that the adventure of Jim Hawkins does not follow the standard pattern of many lesser pirate stories, and it still seems unique and exciting today.

This audio reading is abridged to fit on one CD, so if you're really familiar with the full story you might know where the edits are. It's been a long time since I read the full story, so I wasn't able to pick up on what paragraphs or detail might have been sacrificed for time, but there were a couple of occasions where the story seemed to move ahead just a bit too quickly. I don't know if this was down to Robert Louis Stevenson in 1883 or editor Neville Teller in 2013, but to my mind the whole story seemed just a little shorter than it should have been. Maybe I'm wrong on this and the edits were minor after all, but if the original story could have been a 2 CD reading unabridged, then perhaps that's how they should have done it.

For the most part, Luke Evans cannot be faulted on his reading, although his parrot impression is terrible and he manages to ruin what is supposed to be a chilling line at the end of the story because of it. My only other complaint is that I didn't like the cover art. I don't think anyone, child or adult, is going to look at that and think "this looks like a good adventure story". Put that to one side though, and this is a very good audiobook that fathers and sons (and maybe mothers and daughters too) will enjoy. Seeing as this version seems aimed at younger children, I think five stars is the fairest score, but maybe take one star off if you're thinking about getting this for older children who may prefer the unabridged original.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20