Profile for Andromeda Descendent > Reviews

Content by Andromeda Desc...
Top Reviewer Ranking: 524
Helpful Votes: 2049

Andromeda Descendent (Tarn Vedra)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Corsair CH-9000042-EU Raptor M30 Performance 4000 DPI Optical Gaming Mouse
Corsair CH-9000042-EU Raptor M30 Performance 4000 DPI Optical Gaming Mouse
Offered by Rapid Warehouse

4.0 out of 5 stars Looks fantastic, variable scroll is good, but where's the downloadable driver?, 16 April 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
When I first saw this mouse, I really loved the look and feel of it. I did have some set-up problems though. The first time I plugged it in, swapping over from my standard mouse, it started working straight away. But after shutting down my computer, the next time I loaded up and tried to use the mouse nothing happened. I had to switch back to the old mouse before I could click the desktop tile in Windows 8 and then, after plugging the Corsair back in again, it started working. I had to repeat this two more times before it finally started working from the offset. Maybe at this point I should be happy, but that wasn't the only set-up problem.

One of the major features of this mouse is the ability to assign commands or functions to the two programmable side buttons. The mouse doesn't come with a self-loading programme or app that lets you do this – in fact it doesn't even come with an instruction booklet (unless my box was missing one). I went to the logical place – the Corsair website – and they do have drivers for many other models of mouse, but not the M30. I shouldn't be expected to try and install drivers for other models to see if they work just as well, so I haven't, as I consider that unacceptable.

To me that says this mouse is not 100% functional. I hope Corsair get this sorted soon.

To be honest I'm not impressed by the side buttons anyway as they are too close together, too similar to one another, undefined with no raised relief and a bit spongy. I wouldn't want to use them for gaming, though they might be okay for software such as painting programmes.

If you have a painting programme on your computer, the feature that allows you to change between 4 different mouse sensitivities at the press of a button is ideal for that task. It's also a good feature for certain games, where altering the mouse sensitivity could be useful. The button that changes the sensitivity is located behind the scroll wheel, but I found that the shape of the mouse prevents you from pressing it accidentally, so I'm happy with this feature. The mouse also lights up when it's on – the Corsair logo at the back is illuminated in red and the scroll wheel illuminates in increasing intensities for 3 of the 4 settings. The scroll wheel illumination at least has a use to it, but the logo illumination is showy and unnecessary. Other than that, it's a nice looking mouse.

Funtime Gifts Cystal Puzzles T-Rex
Funtime Gifts Cystal Puzzles T-Rex

5.0 out of 5 stars Potential best present ever, 8 April 2014
There are several dozen crystal puzzles, but this is the one that you really want! The finished model of a T-Rex is a really great design, with a lot of personality to it. It's reasonably difficult too, but the pieces fit together perfectly and they stay on well once it's completed. If you enjoy crystal puzzles, you should be buying this. If you're new to crystal puzzles, then what a great way to start!

PicknBuy 3D Crystal Puzzle Money Bank / Pen Container - Blue
PicknBuy 3D Crystal Puzzle Money Bank / Pen Container - Blue
Offered by PicknBuy

4.0 out of 5 stars Easiest crystal puzzle ever, 8 April 2014
I keep this crystal puzzle on my desk with all my pens in it. Let's face it, it's not a very difficult puzzle to work out, but putting it together was more difficult than I expected. The pieces did not want to fit together without a bit of effort, but once you're done you can either use it as a holder as I have or put on a top piece with a slot in it so you can use it as a coin bank.

I like it because I collect crystal puzzles and, yes I need something to put my pens in, but if you're just looking for something fun to put together there are many many others you should consider buying before you get to this one.

Corsair Raptor HS40 USB 7.1 Comfortable Gaming Headset
Corsair Raptor HS40 USB 7.1 Comfortable Gaming Headset

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite PC headphones so far, 8 April 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These headphones are very comfortable to wear. They have good padding around the ears and under the headband, and they are fairly light as well. They connect to the computer via a USB and have a nice long cable. I really like the in-line volume control, which has blue LED strips that separate the three buttons. The middle button is for the easily positioned microphone and when you press it those two strips turn red so as to show it is on.

The sound quality is really good and the quality of the headphones is reassuring too. I don't worry too much about knocking these accidentally onto the floor, which I often manage to do with headphones. I would say that although I have no problem with the volume controls turning the computer's master volume up and down, the most comfortable volume on these headphones is definitely in the lower range of that 0 to 100 master volume scale. These headphones can get seriously loud if you want them to.

P.S. if anyone knows how you can switch easily between connected speakers and headphones on Windows 8 without having to pull out the USB connector I'd love to hear your suggestions in the comments, as I haven't worked it out yet.

Netgear R7000 Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band Wireless Gigabit Cable Router, 1 Ghz Dual Core, 1 x USB 2.0, 1 x USB 3.0, Implicit and Explicit Beamforming, Upstream and Downstream QoS
Offered by PRICE PROMISE EXPEDITED DELIVERY ON ALL ORDERS FREE WITHIN THE UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Sleek neat router, 23 Mar 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Up until the moment I unboxed the NETGEAR Nighthawk I'd been thinking, "what a pretentious name for a WiFi router". As soon as I picked it up I changed my mind. The photo on the box doesn't do it justice – it looks like a mini stealth bomber and makes my ISP provided (modem and) WiFi router look rubbish in comparison. Note for clarity that this is a router, not a modem.

I've never set up any piece of computer equipment as quickly and easily as this. The instructions were clear and helpful and no sooner had I connected it to the computer I logged on to Windows and was automatically presented with the NETGEAR internet page, where it allowed me to download the NETGEAR Genie app – which is a great settings/troubleshooting piece of software and is available from a Windows 8 apps screen as well as from the desktop.

I connected at first by cable, as I don't have a wireless connection to the PC, whereas I have a wireless connection to my Nintendo 3DS, and intend to have one for my Xbox One when I buy that in, probably, a couple of months' time. The ability to alter the priority so as to maximise the Xbox Live connection is something I'm looking forward to trying, because the WiFi enabled router that came free with my broadband package is a low spec one I got a few years ago.

I was able to try out the Nighthawk's WiFi stream using my Nintendo 3DS at the same time as streaming a high definition video on the PC. The video streaming on the 3DS worked in every room in the house and even in the garden, right up to the gate, whilst I'm told there was no dip in the HD video on the PC screen.

All the lights and buttons (apart from the power switch) are on the front and there's even a USB connection that will allow you to file share wirelessly to phones, etc.

It's a solid product.

Little Owl's Orange Scarf
Little Owl's Orange Scarf
by Tatyana Feeney

4.0 out of 5 stars Great use of orange and green, 23 Mar 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm usually very critical of children's books when they are drawn in a minimal art style, but this one works very well. Not only does it have a really imaginative use of colour, it could well inspire children who are old enough to have a go at drawing stories themselves.

The story of Little Owl, who doesn't like his new, itchy, overly-long and far too orange scarf is really charming. As you'd expect, it's a very short story but the pacing and phrasing is just right.

I'm going to seem like I'm being awkward now. I know you shouldn't overanalyse children's stories as a parent, but it's hard to ignore when the lesson your child could be taking from a book is that if you don't like something then you should deliberately "lose" it somewhere and then you'll get a better one. I'd have preferred it if Little Owl realised at some point that he should have just been honest with his Mummy in the first place, as then he'd have been given the type of scarf he really wanted even sooner.

Answering Tough Interview Questions For Dummies
Answering Tough Interview Questions For Dummies
by Rob Yeung

3.0 out of 5 stars Technically informative, but lacking for breadth of the human element, 16 Mar 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It's a huge temptation when reviewing a book about answering interview questions to start off by sharing stories of your own interview experiences. I actually started doing that in this review and then realised that if you're reading this then you might get a bit annoyed if I don't quickly get to the point. So after deleting a couple of paragraphs, here I am getting to the point.

Although it sounds harsh, if this book were a job candidate I'd be impressed by it's technical competency but the bottom line is I wouldn't hire it. I don't want to give the impression that this book isn't well written or useful, as it is both, and as someone who really does want to improve his interview skills I learned a great deal from it. The sad truth for me is that I didn't connect with it on a personal level. I could go on with the "book as a person" metaphors, but that would be unkind. Again, I'll save your time by getting to the point.

This book is full of example answers that people could give to a wide range of interview questions. The great thing about this book is that the author explains what interviewers are looking for when they ask you those questions. If I was reading this book as an interviewer then I'd really relate to this book, but the author – himself an experienced interviewer – seems to have forgotten there are two sides to every interview, because not one of the numerous sample interview answers in this book can be related to a real life human being. From what I can tell, he's written them all himself – they may be based on real people that he's met, but they all sound lamentably like the same person in different costumes. It's like reading a book authored by Mr Benn.

Although interviewers may want to hear you say that you positively thrive on pressure, I'd bet anything they wouldn't want to hear you actually say "I positively thrive on pressure" (page 48). It's not real language for most people, and it sounds rehearsed and staged. That's an extreme example, and most of his theoretical answers are very good in that you can see how they answer the question. But the idea is that you're supposed to come up with your own answers. If all you have to compare your answers with is the one person's made up answers, how are you going to know whether or not you're on the right track? I really wish the author (or in fairness maybe the publisher) had put in that extra effort to get some real people giving their answers and then the book could have advised the reader on the good and bad points.

Cast your mind back to my first paragraph. If you've been wondering what my most memorable interview experiences are – the ones that I actually wrote about and then deleted – then there's a good chance you'll feel to some extent the same about this book as I did. But if it never crossed your mind to wonder what I wrote then maybe you can see past what I personally consider to be a flaw.

I realise I must sound very negative so I'm going to balance that out a bit. Yes, I found it hard to engage with the book in the way that I wanted to, but there was a great deal of useful information between its covers. As an eye opener to the kinds of questions you never even thought you might be asked, it's illuminating. In helping you understand what interviewers wish to hear you say when they ask you the most common (and the not so common) questions, it's invaluable. For interview preparation, I consider it a good tool in the armoury. But it's not the only one, and I think that when I need to prepare for my next interview it won't be the only book that I turn to. And perhaps that's the way it should be in any case.

Dead Island (Xbox 360)
Dead Island (Xbox 360)
Offered by SelectGames

4.0 out of 5 stars Life's too short and undead life's even shorter, 13 Mar 2014
It seems a bit odd reviewing a game that was recently given away for free on Xbox Live's "Games for Gold", but I enjoyed some things about the game and felt like I wanted to review it anyway. I missed Dead Island the first time around. I was vaguely aware it existed, but hadn't paid it much thought. But a zombie game set on a beach resort was unusual enough to catch my attention when it was offered for free and so I downloaded it and gave it a go.

You choose one of four characters, although other players can drop in on co-op, and you play throughout the game as that one character – which makes the cutscenes in single player a bit odd, as one character suddenly becomes four, and NPCs thank "you all" at various points for your help. The story is… well… not really up to much – you are stranded on an island and you need to help various characters so that they in turn can help you to get off it – what more do you need to know? But killing zombies with improvised weapons is as fun as it sounds (well, in a game it's fun… in real life, no so much I'd imagine). Weapon maintenance is crucial – the more you use a weapon, the less effective it gets, and there's a real element of strategy going on in your decisions to keep on slashing or find a workbench, or whether to spend cash on upgrading a weapon or wait until you loot a container that gives you a better one.

The zombies come in several types – slow but determined; fast and furious; large and slow but difficult to kill and usually blocking your way; fast and difficult to kill; large, fast and difficult to kill; hideous exploding suiciders and fat toxic vomiters. Yes, I said vomiters. There are also humans who will try to kill you if you set foot on their turf. The game has about a hundred side quests, and completing them helps to build up your XP and unlock new abilities from a skills tree. However, each time you level up, so – inexplicably – does every zombie on the island. That can be frustrating, especially when one or two hits can kill you, but what it does do is keep the tension level constantly high. It's just a pity that there are so many minor gameplay irritations that stop this game from being the best it can be. Sometimes when you die it can feel completely random. Fighting one or two zombies on their own should not present a problem, but get ambushed by a horde and the clunkiness of the attack and defend mechanics can lead to moments of frustration as you do all you can to fight them off but to no avail. Guns are strangely useless – it takes several shots to down a zombie but only one swipe of a machete to make its head fly.

For one situation, however, what can seem unfair actually IS your fault – gone round a corner only to be instantly killed by a suicider? Your fault. Why? You didn't pick up on the audio cue. The sound in this game is one of its good points. The achievements are mostly easy to rack up, although do every side quest in the game and you still won't be anywhere near the maximum XP level, so if you're considering chasing that achievement, don't, because life's too short and undead life's even shorter.

Gro 2-in-1 Night Light Bayonet Fitting
Gro 2-in-1 Night Light Bayonet Fitting

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent idea, well implemented, 13 Mar 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This seemed like an unusual product to come out of the same company as the grobag, but it's a good idea and a great alternative to the dreaded dimmer switch. Dimmer switches are energy unfriendly, make the light bulb hum and can create interference, but the grolight has none of these problems.

LEDs spaced around the unit give a very dim light or – by adjusting the built in dial switch – a slightly brighter dim light. It sits between the light fitting and the bulb, holds a lampshade, and the best feature of all is that you operate it from the light switch. From the off position, one click turns on the night light, then a quick off and on again of the light switch transfers power to the light bulb.

A few warnings from the instructions you might wish to know are: Do not use with a bulb that exceeds 70W (40W where used with a closed top shade); The lamp shade should be kept away from the light bulb and the grolight by at least 30mm; The weight of the lamp shade should be no more than 1KG

Tacwise A11 (Type 140) Hammer Tacker
Tacwise A11 (Type 140) Hammer Tacker

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for professionals; amateurs use with care, 19 Feb 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The Tacwise hammer tacker is a difficult tool to review because how useful and suited it is for what it does varies considerably with the tasks that you ask it to do. In common with a standard hammer, it's a blunt instrument, or at least it is unless you use it so much that you get the knack of positioning the staples exactly where you want them, and that for me proved very tricky in testing. My efforts were by no means neat. It's also a big tool and you need room to swing it, so open surfaces are fine but when I tried tacking down loose stair carpet I found it extremely difficult to pin the verticals.

But I guess that if you want a staple gun, you'll buy a staple gun, and if you're considering a hammer tacker you already know the limitations. The good points of this tacker are that it takes three types of staples - 6mm, 8mm and 10mm (a box of 8mm was included with the review pack) - it releases the staples without any duds or misfires, the handle has a good grip to it, and it is very well balanced.

If you're looking to use it for jobs around the home, I'd think twice before choosing this - not because it isn't good quality, because I think it is very well made - but because it's not going to be the answer to every task you'd consider it for, and it takes a while to get the knack of it, by which time you've probably finished what you wanted to do anyway.

I can see, however, that professionals - and to be fair to the manufacturers, that is probably their target market - would find this useful, as perhaps would those in professions where posters need to be put up on pinboards in a hurry and, well, my imagination runs out at that point. Maybe owners of lost dogs who want to pin "have you seen me" notices on tree trunks? Basically what I'm saying is it's more a professional's tool than an amateur's, but it's well made and if you're looking for one of these, I can't fault it on ease of loading, feel or mechanism.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20