Profile for Andromeda Descendent > Reviews

Content by Andromeda Desc...
Top Reviewer Ranking: 559

Andromeda Descendent (Tarn Vedra)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Architecture: Form, Space, and Order
Architecture: Form, Space, and Order
by Francis D. K. Ching

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastically presented book, 29 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I am not an architecture student, nor do I work in that field, but I do find the subject interesting and have a number of books on my shelves about great buildings and their design. This book has no photographs, although there is a website you are given a unique access code to on the inside over, however it does have what can only be described as a wealth of pencil and line drawings. It has an extensive 8 page glossary at the back and separate indexes for name of building, name of designer and subject material.

For the target audience, this will be a reference book, but as a layman I am finding it easier to read than I thought I would, and it has opened my mind a bit wider to the concepts that are part and parcel of building, interior and urban space design. It can only make me appreciate those concepts more when I see them expressed in buildings in the future.

Bi-Office A1 Frameless Tripod Dryerase Easel - White
Bi-Office A1 Frameless Tripod Dryerase Easel - White
Offered by Board Warehouse

5.0 out of 5 stars Office or home – the choice is yours, 29 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
When I ordered this easel, I had a very specific purpose in mind for it. Whilst I use flipcharts at work, and am familiar with flipchart boards, I am unlikely to ever use one at home – however, there is an avid artist in the family and my Dad has – as I thought he would – taken to it immediately. Okay, so perhaps it's not specifically designed as an artist's easel, but all you need to fix the paper in place is a little bit of masking tape. The board is firm, the easel is steady on the tripod, and the legs are easy to set at the right height – just pull and then twist them. The board is actually quite light and easy to carry, all things considering. It's already had a couple of days outside use, and we've only had it a couple of days before writing this review.

As far as the office side of the easel goes, I do use flipcharts in the office and this one is perfect for that purpose. I will not be testing the dry wipe facility, as I want the board to remain in pristine condition, but hopefully I've given you another perspective on the way this board can be used.

Oral-B Pro Vitality Plus Cross Action Electric Rechargeable Toothbrush
Oral-B Pro Vitality Plus Cross Action Electric Rechargeable Toothbrush

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid mid-range model with rubberised grip, 29 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
When choosing a powered toothbrush, you are spoilt for choice – you could spend a lot of money on a top of the range sonic toothbrush with a load of features and accessories – you could buy a cheap battery powered one from the chemist – or you could look for a reasonably priced rechargeable toothbrush which will do a good job without setting you back too much money.

This model is exactly at that mid-range price point, and it comes with an induction charger and two brush heads instead of one. There is no travel case, but that is unlikely to bother most people. The rubber handle is probably the most "grippable" surface I've ever seen on a toothbrush, meaning that the likelihood of it slipping out of your hand when brushing is very low. The on/off button is a press switch. Taking the heads on and off is very easy. They are the round, spinning/oscillating type and it says on the box that the handle is also compatible with other head types Oral-B make.

There's no charging light, but then again I've often thought that the only use charging lights have is a visual confirmation that the charging process has started. If it's largely irrelevant, you don't miss it. The instructions are worth a quick read, as they give you advice on your brushing technique.

Hallmark Birthday Mum Cute Forever Friends 3D Attachment Card - Medium Slim
Hallmark Birthday Mum Cute Forever Friends 3D Attachment Card - Medium Slim
Offered by Shop Inc

5.0 out of 5 stars Mum loved it, 14 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a really lovely card. From the "Forever Friends" series, it features "The Original Very Cute Bear", and very cute he is too. So cute that he appears three times on the front, holding up the letters M, U and M, and once on the back. The card is made of textured card that feels nice to the touch. On the outside it reads "For a Very Special Mum. With Lots of Love. x", and on the inside it reads "For being such a kind and caring mum… this wishes you all the happiness you deserve, and more! Happy Birthday. x".

Rexel A4 Clear Ice 2 Ring Binders (Pack of 10)
Rexel A4 Clear Ice 2 Ring Binders (Pack of 10)

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality binders with label pockets, 7 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These soft-cover plastic binders from Rexel are ideal for when you want to see through the front cover to the first of the pages underneath. The front cover also has an inner pocket that allows you to place a few loose pages – perhaps ones you have not had a chance to punch holes into yet. The metal rings are firm yet easy to open and close. Not only is there a pocket in the spine with a piece of card to label the folder, there is also one on the front towards the bottom right corner.

The packaging is a little excessive. Ten clear plastic folders arrive neatly stored in a cardboard box, and you can keep them there if you don't need to use them all at once. But also, each folder is wrapped individually in sealed clear plastic packaging. Maybe they make them that way for when they're on sale as individual retail. The retail stickers affixed to the folder peel off with no trouble at all and leave no residue behind.

Mrs Bradshaw's Handbook (Discworld)
Mrs Bradshaw's Handbook (Discworld)
by Terry Pratchett

5.0 out of 5 stars Big cabbage, 18 May 2015
I loved Raising Steam and this book is the perfect accompaniment. Having watched Michael Portillo journey around Britain and abroad on his Great British Railway Journeys programme, I've become quite familiar with George Bradshaw's Victorian guidebook, and it's been a lot of fun to read the Discworld equivalent and read entries related to stops along the new Ankh-Morpork & Sto Plains Hygenic Railway.

If you haven't read Raising Steam, then I would very strongly recommend reading it first (or at least reading enough of it so that you get the background), because otherwise you would be missing out on a large part of the charm of this book, which comes from the way that it perfectly compliments the novel.

Another thing to bear in mind is that whilst the book has a lot of wry humour, it is written in all seriousness so as to be exactly the book that you would expect it to be from reading the novel. The illustrations are excellent and often hilarious. No self-respecting shelf holding Raising Steam is complete without this wonderful little book sitting alongside it.

BISSELL Multi-Reach 2-in-1 Light Weight Cordless Vacuum with 25.2 V Lithium-Ion 115 W

5.0 out of 5 stars Very, very, very easy to use, 18 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This extremely versatile vacuum cleaner manages to do what many have claimed to do, and can literally clean anywhere. When not in use it sits on its charging stand and the handle folds backwards behind it, but cleverly it also folds forward and allows you to clean under low shelved tables – something that in the past we have always needed to use an attachment for. It's not short on attachments itself, and after unclipping the central unit you can either add a short attachment to go and clean pet hairs off the car seats or combine all the accessories together into one and clean spider webs from the corner of the room.

It scores well on features too. An edge reach function targets the suction to the edge of the cleaner at the touch of a button, and that's a great idea. The brush can be turned on or off whilst the vacuum cleaner is on, again at a touch of a button – and the buttons are located most conveniently at the top of the handle. What's surprising is that although this is small, it has great suction and picks up dust, trodden in garden dirt and budgie food with the minimum of passes. It gets full quickly, but it is easy to empty and we actually found that because it is so easy to use (no power cord to restrict our movements) we are using it more often and therefore picking up less dirt each time anyway.

The instructions are not very impressive, but the vacuum itself is very impressive indeed and its easy to work things out without reading the instructions anyway. We're extremely pleased with this model, and if 10 stars were available, it would get them.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 4, 2015 8:46 AM BST

Philips GC1020/70 EasySpeed Steam Iron with 70 g Steam Boost, 0.2 Litre, 1800 W, Green

5.0 out of 5 stars Bright green iron, 19 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
With its bright green and white colour scheme and transparent water tank, this Philips steam iron is certainly eye catching. The switches are easy to use, and the essential features have all been thought out well. It has a precision tip for ironing around buttons, spray and steam boost, and a calc clean function. The power lead joins to the iron with a ball socket, and was just about long enough for our purposes.

The iron is light when unloaded, and still relatively light with water in it. The surface is non-stick and does indeed glide well. The results are good so, in summary, it does just what it says on the box, and with a bare minimum of fuss. We cannot fault it, even though with that bright green colour scheme we half expect it to glow in the dark!

Norton Security 2.0, 1 User - 5 Devices, 12 Month  [PC/Mac Download - Online Code]
Norton Security 2.0, 1 User - 5 Devices, 12 Month [PC/Mac Download - Online Code]

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick, easy installation, 19 April 2015
At time of writing there are just two reviews on here, both 1 star only. My experience of Norton Security has always been good, so when I realised today that my subscription would expire in less than a week (my email browser had decided the reminder notices were spam), I decided I couldn't wait for a product card or CD to arrive. I chose the option to buy a code, paid for it and immediately was given the code on Amazon's thank you for purchasing page.

The code did not work with the renewal options on my existing Norton installation – it was a couple of digits too long for that – but I just went to my Norton account page on the internet and was given a different box to fill in, which this time accepted the code.

The install was very quick – about five minutes – and after a restart it was ready to go. My password vault is still working, scans are working; the only noticeable change is the front end which looks cleaner and more professional than the last one, which I had grown to dislike. Going on ease of installation and past experience of Norton, I give this an easy five stars.

Fiddle For Dummies
Fiddle For Dummies
by Michael John Sanchez

4.0 out of 5 stars Fiddle de dee, 19 April 2015
This review is from: Fiddle For Dummies (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
If you have owned a violin since childhood but play it no more than a couple of times a year as an adult, then maybe there's something more on your mind than the urge to play classical music. I have always loved the sound of fiddle music, and listening to the carefree interpretations of those who play it. Whilst I have a couple of violin "how-to" guides gathering dust on my shelves at home, because this book focuses specifically on the fiddle style of play, I have been reading it with a lot more interest that those other guides.

I've started to take some of the book's advice and have done a bit of practicing. The fiddle and the violin are the same instrument, but the difference between the two is in how you use that instrument. As the book explains, there are changes such as using a flatter bridge that you might want to make, but a lot of it is about improvisation and what the book calls ornamentation. There are techniques specific to the fiddle player that give fiddle music that distinct sound, which I have never had an explanation of before. It's early days, as it always takes me a long time when it comes to musical instruments, but the book is well written and is holding my interest.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20