Profile for Andromeda Descendent > Reviews

Content by Andromeda Desc...
Top Reviewer Ranking: 555
Helpful Votes: 1994

Andromeda Descendent (Tarn Vedra)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Dettol Anti Bacterial Surface Cleansing Family Pack (Pack of 216)
Dettol Anti Bacterial Surface Cleansing Family Pack (Pack of 216)

5.0 out of 5 stars Good wipes from a trusted name, 26 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This giant box contains three large packs of Dettol Cleaning Surface Wipes, each pack holding 72 large antibacterial wipes. A re-sealable sticker over the opening on the top keeps the moisture in the wipes from evaporating. The wipes have a nice fresh smell when you put them up to your nose and sniff them, but from a distance they don't really smell much of anything. To me that's a good thing, because I don't like disinfectant-type smells hanging around in the rooms. They don't leave a sticky residue once the area you have used them on has dried.

They are also very easy to tear in two; sometimes you want to wipe a large area and sometimes you just want to wipe a small one, so if you don't want to use a whole wipe at once then you don't have to. They clear up stains very well, including cooking splashes and long-standing rings from tea and coffee mugs.

Here's some relevant info from the packet: It kills E.coli, salmonella, listeria, MRSA, Rotavirus and H1N1 flu. It is good for removing pollen, pet dander and dust mites. It is non-bleach and safe to use where food is prepared.

TTfone Mercury 2 Big Button Basic Senior Unlocked Sim Free Mobile Phone with Dock - Black
Offered by TTsims

5.0 out of 5 stars A very easy to use and well designed phone, 26 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I always like to know where my Father is and that he's alright, so I gave him a phone a while back to take with him even when he's not planning on calling anyone, but he was always asking me questions about how to do things on it and I know he had a problem with the keys being too small. I'm really happy because he loves this new – TT fone Mercury 2 – phone, and now he's even telling me about all the features.

The user manual is fantastic and describes how to do everything perfectly, but the menu is intuitive too. I swapped the SIM card from his old phone to this and programmed in a speed dial number and then he did the next one. The phone's big buttons are backlit, lighting up when you press any button on the keypad. Even better, when you press them a voice reads them out to you. Unlike his previous phone, the menu is incredibly easy to access and he can easily get to his stored contacts and text messages, the latter being something that he found very difficult to manage on his old phone.

There are some great features on the phone, including an FM radio, a voice recorder and a calculator. There's a torch as well. Everything on the phone seems to have been thought thoroughly through by the designers, so you don't have to go through the menu to get to the torch – you just unlock the phone by holding down the green call button, then hold the 0 key for three seconds to switch the torch on or off.

The SOS emergency button is a very reassuring feature – it can send a pre-written message to the numbers on the emergency contact list and will then cycle through the numbers that you add to it, so if the first person doesn't answer it will dial the second, and so on.

It's well built and also very easy to charge. There is a docking station and USB to mains plug included in the box. Both I and my Father are very pleased with it. I thought it might be a good thing when I ordered it, but it's exceeded my expectations.

Leitz WOW 1005 180° A4 80mm Lever Arch File - Metallic Blue
Leitz WOW 1005 180° A4 80mm Lever Arch File - Metallic Blue

5.0 out of 5 stars A very well made A4 ring binder, 18 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This large A4 ring binder is about as well made a folder as you're ever going to get. I've bought some cheap folders over the years, which started to show their wear and tear pretty quickly, but this one seems built to last extended use. It comes in a wide range of colours, according to the advert page inside, but I like the bright blue version and wouldn't swap it.

The bind and lock mechanism is easy to use. That might be something you'd be tempted to take for granted, but there are so many ring binders around where the locking mechanism is needlessly hard to press down to clip into place, and I don't think anyone's going to have a problem with this one.

My only reservation is that the spine has a label stuck on the side, and not a clear plastic strip and card insert – which is something I look for in ring binders because I do like to label them, but I also like to re-use them. That doesn't stop me giving it five stars though, because it's clear from the photo on Amazon that it is a sticker on the spine that you get if you buy this.

Leitz WOW Click & Store A4 Storage Box (Pink) - ref 60440023
Leitz WOW Click & Store A4 Storage Box (Pink) - ref 60440023

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to self-assemble and holds its finished form during use, 16 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This flat pack storage box from Leitz is called "click and store" because to put it together you unfold and reposition the 5 sides of the box – which are all in one piece – and click together the press studs before putting the lid on. I found it easy to do and the finished box is of reasonably good quality. There are handles on the front and back, and a label holder and insert card on the front. I think a silica gel packet comes with it because I found one on the floor after assembling it, and I think it must have fallen out without my having noticed.

The label says this is a medium sized box and the card in the packaging shows a range of different colours, shapes and sizes in this range.

Philips E14 Small Edison Screw 4 Watt 230 V 2 LED Non-Dimmable Bulb with Frosted Lustre, Warm White

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality LED lighting, 16 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a pack of 2 Philips E14 type screw in lamp bulbs. They seem very well made and they give a good warm white 25 watt equivalent glow, whilst using just 3 watts of power. They screwed in easily to the two small lamps I put them in. They have an A+ energy rating and it says on the packaging that they last 15,000 hours each or 50,000 on/off cycles.

Some LED bulbs can seem harsher than normal light bulbs, but the Philips ones I have had recently do not seem harsh at all and I would definitely recommend the Philips ones as a brand.

In Praise of Bees: A Cabinet of Curiosities
In Praise of Bees: A Cabinet of Curiosities
by Elizabeth Birchall

5.0 out of 5 stars A very fitting subtitle – a cabinet of curiosities indeed, 15 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have always found bees to be very interesting creatures, so this book really appealed to me. The author, Elizabeth Birchall, has obvious read extensively about the subject because the book – quite aptly subtitled "a cabinet of curiosities" – covers an extremely wide range of history, myths and folklore.

This is a very nicely bound and presented book, with indented lettering on the cover, glossy pages and a yellow ribbon to mark your place.

It's not a scientific reference book as such, and should not be considered that way. You should be aware that the past creeps into almost every paragraph in one form or another – with factual descriptions frequently introduced or punctuated with quotes or observations from historical figures or references to folklore. Whilst this is very interesting in its place, it can make those parts of the book which you might feel should stick solely to factual description a bit hard to get through at times. There is a lot of prose and poetry in these pages, some of which was written by the author. It's an interesting addition, and there are a lot of good illustrations.

I learnt a lot about the history of bees in this book, though not as much about bees themselves as I'd have liked to. I did find the constant referrals back to anachronistic views of bees as given by various historic persons an irritation at times, when all I really wanted was the modern accepted facts not to be clouded. But I did enjoy the book and I would recommend it as much for that "cabinet of curiosities" as I would also add the cautionary note that this is more a social and mythological history of bees than it is a factual account of the bee, the hive and modern day beekeeping.

To quote a line from the book that sums it up well: "what an astonishing cargo of conflicting ideals have been loaded onto these small, useful insects".

Philips B22 6 Watt LED 40W WW 230V A60 FR ND/4, Warm White
Philips B22 6 Watt LED 40W WW 230V A60 FR ND/4, Warm White

5.0 out of 5 stars A 40 watt equivalent LED bulb was just what I needed, 15 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I really wanted a 40 watt equivalent bulb for lighting my hallway and I found this Philips one to be perfect for the task. In reality it only uses 6 watts, being an LED lightbulb – not that I'd really notice the difference, with the one exception that its housing covers the "top" of the light bulb – not an issue for the hallway, but it may be a consideration for people wanting to light larger rooms.

It gives a nice warm light effect and it really helps show off the hallway's wood panelling.

It has an A+ energy rating and comes in some quite nice packaging, not that packaging is a major consideration for most! It says on the packaging that it lasts 15,000 hours or 50,000 on/off cycles.

Philips GU10 5 Watt 230 V LED Dimmable Spot Bulb, Warm White
Philips GU10 5 Watt 230 V LED Dimmable Spot Bulb, Warm White

5.0 out of 5 stars A warm light without the harshness some LED bulbs can give., 14 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This energy saving light bulb gives a 50 watt equivalent "warm white" light, which is slightly towards the yellow side and gives a much more natural lighting effect than the bright white LED bulb I had in that light fixture previously. Unlike that bright white LED bulb, this one seems much more welcoming and doesn't actually give that harsh impression that LED bulbs can give.

It's also dimmable, said to last 15,000 hours or 50,000 on/offs, and it has an A+ energy rating. I find Philips to be a good brand, and this bulb is of the good quality I'd expect from them. Although packaging isn't something you generally look for in a light bulb, I like the design of the packaging this comes in.

APC Back UPS 500VA AVR Power Supply Unit
APC Back UPS 500VA AVR Power Supply Unit

2.0 out of 5 stars I can't use it., 13 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It's not often a product leaves me stumped for a meaningful review. In fact I think this is the first time. I ordered this review unit because I thought it might be useful, and might serve a longer purpose than testing it and boxing it up again - something I really try to avoid, as I like to use things not leave them gathering dust. But the manufacturers of this backup power supply unit have made a decision I do not understand by only having kettle-type sockets on it.

For a start, there's no mains plug. I thought all heavy duty electronic devices were required to come with a mains plug by law now - but apparently I'm wrong, for otherwise this would have one. That would not be too much of a problem, because I'd have bought one if I thought I could actually use this product for anything more important than a kettle.

Here's the problem -

My PC uses its own custom shaped type of connector, and there is no way at all that it will fit this.

My laptop uses a much smaller type of connector, and there is no way at all that it will fit this.

Even my laptop at work uses its own custom shaped type of connector, and there is no way at all that it will fit this.

So I can't use this device for its intended purpose and I really don't understand why the manufacturer has not put standard three pin mains sockets on it. The most I can say in the way of reviewing its features is that it is heavy and has a quality assurance test printout stuck to the side of it. If I manage to think up a way of using it with the PC or laptop - or someone helps me out in the comments (please anyone) - then all well and good, but for the moment all I can give this is a disappointed two stars.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 18, 2014 6:03 PM BST

Leifheit Pegasus L Comfort 81516 Airer
Leifheit Pegasus L Comfort 81516 Airer

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a luxury clothes airier – there's no other word for it, 30 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It might sound strange to use the word "delight" about a clothes rack, but that really was our reaction to it when it arrived and we unfolded it. It is leagues better than the cheap airing frame we used to use. There are always some clothes that need to be washed by hand and hung out to dry naturally, and of course when the man's been called out because the machine's acting up an airing frame is essential. This frame is large enough to accommodate the entire family's wash and it's so easy to unfold into position and is sturdy too. The five clothes hangers click into place on the frame, which keeps a distance between the clothes you put on them, and you can clip on small items such as socks and undies using the red clips along the rail. There is a peg bag as well.

You need a lot of space to set it up if you wish to use it indoors, but if you have that space then it's the perfect thing to have. If you use it outdoors then the way you clip the hangers onto the frame should stop the clothes from blowing away if it gets windy. If you do put it outside, be prepared for a flashback to old fashioned "keeping up with the Joneses" times when the neighbours would look over the fence and give envious looks.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20