Profile for Crispin Latymer > Reviews

Las recetas de el comidista / The Comidista's Recipes
Las recetas de el comidista / The Comidista's Recipes
by Mikel Lopez Iturriaga

5.0 out of 5 stars Spanish cooking at its best!, 26 Nov 2011
For those who can read Spanish this is the BEST cookery book going! it is full of delicious, interesting and uncomplicated recipes and everything we have tried has worked really well. The ingredients are not hard to buy these days and it is full of amusing anecdotes and music recommendations.

The author has a great and very widely followed blog [...] too. He is the Food Writer for El Pais the biggest Spanish paper and I am a fan!

A Voyage For Madmen
A Voyage For Madmen
by Peter Nichols

5.0 out of 5 stars Story telling at it's best, 11 April 2010
This review is from: A Voyage For Madmen (Paperback)
One of the best written and absorbing sailing books I have read. Simple as that.

An Ocean Away: Small Boat, Big Dream
An Ocean Away: Small Boat, Big Dream
by Dave Clarke

4.0 out of 5 stars Accurate and a good read, 9 Dec 2009
Having completed the same trip, also solo, I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I was intrigued at the many similarities between our relative trips once the author had started his actual transatlantic. I was interested at both the commonality of observation and the freedom of emotions experienced. It brought back many great memories (and one or two not so great). For those looking to learn about more than just the technical side of a transat this is an accurate and honest account, made more remarkable for the small size of Sharky. The introduction is one of the best explanations for sailing and soloists I have read.

The Last Man Across the Atlantic
The Last Man Across the Atlantic
by Paul Heiney

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read, 25 Nov 2009
Paul Heiney completed the OSTAR the same year that I went solo transat. However, I went on what the author calls the 'girlie route' from the Canaries to Barbados rather than his much more northerly route. This book appeared shortly after I got back and I bought it to compare both trips and to see how much they had differed. All I can say is that I was totally engrossed from the begining as it brought back so many memories and emotions of my own trip. The author writes from considerable personal experience and, as a result, there is much in the book for soloist and short-handers alike. A great read, a very practical book and written with his usual understated sense of humour.

The Long Way
The Long Way
by Bernard Moitessier

5.0 out of 5 stars Poetry in motion, 21 Nov 2009
This review is from: The Long Way (Paperback)
Whenever I see a copy of this book I buy it - simple as that. Romanticist, realist, adventurer and supreme soloist with a powerful ability to paint mental pictures for anyone interested in sailing open oceans. This is not only a book about the first non-stop circumnavigation but also a highly individual story about Moitessiers' own philosophy and approach to long distance sailing. Beautifully observed and written.

Force of Nature
Force of Nature
by Robin Knox-Johnston

2.0 out of 5 stars Unfair to RKJ, 9 Nov 2009
This review is from: Force of Nature (Paperback)
After such an astonishing journey at many levels for RKJ this book was a bitter disappointment to read. So poorly edited it leaves the impression the publishers wished to cash in on his name and achievement as quickly after the race as possible. As a sailor of way more modest achievements, even I know how much more must have been demanded and given by the author than the book begins to convey.I am sure he does not believe in 'fairness' as a right but this book is deeply unfair in terms of the qualities it doesn't say about him on this solo.

Home for Christmas
Home for Christmas
by Jeremy Archer

5.0 out of 5 stars A Christmas cracker, 5 Oct 2009
This review is from: Home for Christmas (Hardcover)
A lovely book that I thoroughly enjoyed from start to finish. Beautifully researched and sensitively written. A thoroughly recommended present for those who are either interested in straightforward military history or a glimpse into the private thoughts of those in the front line at the one time of year when thoughts always turn to home.