Profile for T.J. > Reviews

Content by T.J.

T.J. "Romance novel addict" (England, West Yorkshire)

Page: 1 | 2
Caribbean Workout [DVD]
Caribbean Workout [DVD]
Dvd ~ Shelly McDonald

5.0 out of 5 stars Shelly is a great trainer, 28 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Caribbean Workout [DVD] (DVD)
Now this video might not be as hardcore as most would want, but I would say it's not really a sculpting but more of a toning video, but it gets you jumping and moving and the host is a unique one, you know how most exercise video hosts are cheesy or lie "it's not that hard" or "just 10 minutes twice a week and you'll lose ....lbs" she doesn't, Shelly, Carolin and I think Joanna (I think she's called) are fun, and relatable girls, they ask her questions, distract each other, and make working out more than just tolerable but fun.

I watched this series on SkyTV last year and I am so happy to have tracked down a DVD, the only thing I wish is that the video has more than just two sequences for hi and lo-impact aerobics, because on the TV channel there were so many varieties in the moves, steps were involved, trampolines, resistance bands, and you had a lot to choose from.

Nonetheless I think this video would be great for someone who wants a quick burst of activity, it really raises your heartbeat and you CAN increase the intensity by adding weights or simply kicking higher or jumping with more energy.

It really is a lovely video..

Variety 3/5
Skill requried 3/5
Host 5/5
Effectiveness (depends on how hard you push yourself but) 4/5 - because it's not too strenuous you really can do this everyday like I have been doing
How interesting is it to watch 5/5*** (They are very entertaining and fun)
Pain/Difficulty 3/5 (Comparing this to Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred or P90X - that's a killer!!!)

Mama Mio Boob Tube, 100ml, for dive-in cleavage with a smooth, firm neck
Mama Mio Boob Tube, 100ml, for dive-in cleavage with a smooth, firm neck

3.0 out of 5 stars 2 week review, 28 Jan. 2011
The product claims a week is all it takes but I have been using it for 2 weeks and I haven't noticed anything. The only use I would say it's good for (for a 22 year old 34D woman lacking fullness at the top) is that it is an extremely good moisturizer AND it smells divine :)

But maybe it really is for those who need it most, like another person mentioned I was looking for a slight improvement, but my boobs were never really saggy or anything, so I guess maybe that's why I haven't noticed any change. I use it on my breasts and I include a breast massage and also work it up to my neck, an I haven't noticed anything..

I go to the gym and do chest presses and the likes so I thought even that would speed up progress but nada.

I might be back a few months later to re-review it again.

The Firm - Bootcamp Maximum Calorie Burn [DVD]
The Firm - Bootcamp Maximum Calorie Burn [DVD]

5.0 out of 5 stars A great workout with a real burn and leaves you gasping!!, 29 Sept. 2010
I would give this DVD:

* 5 stars for the burn, for those who exercise regularly, the burn feeling is very important at times, it's the feeling like you're doing something hard, something challenging, it confirms that your working out, and you are sure you will feel the aftermath ache the next day.

* 3 stars for how easy it is to grasp the moves. I know I grasped them pretty quickly, but I still find myself sometimes lasping and forgetting what the next move is, I am a dancer and I often dance hiphop and other choreographed dance styles so this wasn't a problem for me, but I could see it being a problem for someone who's not in touch with their body, or who hasn't moved in their life.

* 5 stars for how interesting it is, unlike most dvds her voice isn't monotone, nor is it a phoney high-pitched "come on you can do it!! - Yey!!" - no, it's just Alison being real, bein encouraging and motivating you yet informing you of the moves and reminding you throughout how to do them correctly and effectively.

* 5 stars for effectiveness, now I can't quite pin point if all my results are in fact down to this dvd, since I have been controlling my calories and drinking plenty of water too. But my body is getting very toned, I am shocked, since this has never happened before, I WILL in fact acredit a GREAT portion to the dvd. Though I often do just half of the dvd, it is sufficient to maintain your fitness, and you will not feel like the full 52 minutes is out of your reach doing this.
(I also weight train - and have noticed that this really helps me to do the push ups in the dvd with not too much discomfort, and for the first time ever I am noticing firm biceps and thighs).

..................

I would recommend this dvd to anyone and EVERYONE, it is one of those workouts that when you're watching someone doing it, you don't realise how much toning and muscle coordination and sweat actually goes into it, my sis did it once and she really was a bucket of sweat, that day she knew what a workout was!! :)

My experience with this dvd, has encouraged me to maintain some sort of exercise in my life, it really has made it easier for me to make fewer excuses, it gets straight into the workout, no fuss no frills, I took it with me to Rome and to a sleepover, and whenever I felt that I was just sitting around, I would just pop it into the nearest laptop or dvd player - how convinient. I am even further encouraged to buy the other DVDs because - I get bored of workouts very easily, but I trust "The Firm" collection now.

As for the results, I have worked out with this DVD for 10 workouts (or 9) and my abs are beginning to get defined, my waist is trimmer and I'm keeping off the inch on my waist a lot easier, my legs are smoother (less lumps from cellulite). I believe it works - but then again it IS hard.

Here's what you wanna hear:
**** DO THIS DVD AND YOU WILL LOSE WEIGHT AND SEE RESULTS!! ****
(If you don't increase your food intake, or become extremely sedentry during).

Ponyo [DVD]
Ponyo [DVD]
Dvd ~ Hayao Miyazaki

2.0 out of 5 stars I wasn't moved., 21 Jun. 2010
This review is from: Ponyo [DVD] (DVD)
Now, it is understandable and even advisable for you to take my review with a pinch of salt, afterall so many are praising this movie. I on the other hand cannot help but be honest to myself, which leaves me reviewing this movie at a generous 2 stars out of 5. I'm 21 years of age and over the last 6 years of my life, I've stumbled across Studio Ghibli films, lucky enough to have stumbled upon a Studio Ghibli celebration week in which I watched Kiki's delivery service, Porco Rosso, Laputa, Howl's flying castle and more.

It was this year that I watched for the first time with my brother and sister; Spirited Away, and all three of us of ages, 25, 21 and 18 discussed for at least an hour afterwards, the complex characters, the beautiful art, the music and generally, the feelings we were left with. It was absolutely amazing.

Now, a day ago I pushed them to watch Ponyo, and eagerly they sat, all three of us watched, with my sister and I chatting and commenting a bit at the beginning - a strange thing which rarely happens when we are engaged in the movie.

So basically, without waffling too much, I believe that the movie was lost on us, at the end, we felt our time had been wasted, half way into the movie, we begun to question 'where is this really going' and there were a lot of whys.

I have seen many children's movies, which have encapsulated the minds of both babies and adults, so why is this any different?

Ghibli's art received a 10 out of 10 - superb, the characters were interesting too, but the general flow and amalgamation of these characters was confusing and left a lot of questions - and not the searching type, but more of the confusing type. So we didn't understand why Sosuke's mother seemed neglegent - though now I understand that maybe this was done to show us that at times we do baby our children, and of course the island they live on was a friendly community - far from the paedophilic and dangerous one many of us live in today. Secondly, the connection between Sosuke and Ponyo was missing, this is vital in any movie, it helps us to justify why either characters would risk so much for a person they'd just met. Thirdly - the main challenge that is present in most movies, was neither emotional enough, scary enough or dangerous enough for us to know when in fact it had been overcome, and the sense of the main character overcoming this was lost. Fourth - the 'villain' was so easily swayed to abandon his detest for humans upon a few words whispered by another and to change the name of the main character. I could go on but I won't. I don't want to rip this movie apart, but sincerely I didn't really leave with anything after watching it.

I agree, its simplicity could work well as a children's movie, but I think it is an excuse to simplify real and complex situations just to cater for young minds, one of the movie's themes I mentioned earlier was how much responsibility the main character Sosuke had been given despite being a toddler, in this way a small contradiction can be seen.

However, if I am tired of the complexities and over thinking my daily life and I want to pass some time, I would watch this again.

It's not a bad movie, it is just not as good as the other Studio Ghibli's, and because of their self imposed higher standards of cinematography, it stands out from the rest.

Apologies for the LONG review.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 15, 2010 6:50 PM BST

GCSE Modular Maths Edexcel Higher Revision Guide
GCSE Modular Maths Edexcel Higher Revision Guide
by Richard Parsons

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome stuff!, 19 May 2007
I'm surprised that there are no reviews for this book. (maybe it is because it is the newest edition) - (I used the older edition which is almost exactly the same as this).

This book is such a great package. It has all you need to know and the even tips on how to work out answers for the wild cards (toughies). I really enjoyed reading this book, it is crammed with lots of stuff, in stunning graphics and down to earth lingo. Really good. I never thought I could get an A* in maths, but it was EASY, yes! easy with this book. If you think you can't do it because you're lacking in the basics, this book has everything - all you need to do is to give it a chance.

Araldite 15ml Extra Strong Rapid Adhesive in Tube Pack (Set of 2)
Araldite 15ml Extra Strong Rapid Adhesive in Tube Pack (Set of 2)
Offered by GLUES'N'HARDWARE

5.0 out of 5 stars I haven't found something it couldn't glue., 29 April 2007
Doing a design tech. project at school, I was able to use it to glue various woods together, metal to wood. I have also used it to glue a broken mug before. I like the idea of mixing the two parts together as I believe that it prelongs its life span, as it doesn't dry out as quick and is a lot less messier. Overall a good product.

Caress of Fire
Caress of Fire
by Martha Hix

4.0 out of 5 stars It was very good., 30 Aug. 2006
I can say that this book was good enough to read all of it, but it wasn't anything truly spectacular (to me anyways). That doesn't mean that it wasn't a good read.

This book is about;

A young woman, Lisette who's life was like a cinderella story, she worked hard like a slave for her brother and his wife, his wife being a very bossy and an ungrateful woman.

Lisette decides to run away, and join the crew of a trail boss named Gil, as a cook.

He reluctantly accepts her on board, on the condition that she'd marry him, as it would be unacceptable for a woman to ride with a bunch of cowboys unwed. So Gil decides that she must marry him. She tries to warn him about her 'lack of virginity' but Gil too interested in getting on with the marriage did not listen. Gil already interested in Lisette from seeing her around in the village, soon after the wedding, wants to acquire his 'maritial rights' whilst lisette is still unsure about how he would react to finding out that she is no longer 'pure'. Actually, when he did find out he was outraged, he felt cheated and was very close to calling the whole marriage off. Gil's ex-wife was an adulterous woman, taking away Gil's pride in himself and his trust in women. Lisette has to cope with gil's constant accusations and lack of trust throughout the whole ride. Little did she know would lie ahead of her.

The story involves a lot of action and drama, this is a trail in the wild west after all.

I truly enjoyed this story, I felt that it was a very different sort of historical romance, and I thoroughly felt able to adjust to the differences.

It is well written and there is great detail all descriptions.

One thing I did not like though was the way that the character of Gil repeatedly accused his wife (for no reason) for being unfaithful to him and other reasons, (all untrue). I felt that maybe the author had over developed his paranoia from his first wife, but still it is a good book to get.

The Lord Next Door (Avon Romantic Treasure)
The Lord Next Door (Avon Romantic Treasure)
by Gayle Callen

5.0 out of 5 stars I absolutely enjoyed this novel!, 30 Aug. 2006
It's a story about a young woman who once as a very young girl had a very close best friend who lived next door. She wrote to him frequently and they were very close. Somehow they lost touch and he does not reply her letters anymore. At the time she knew of him as the servant boy next door whilst she was well off.

As a young woman, her family almost in poverty after her father's death she decides that it is time to do something about it, but first she knocks on the door of the next house (where her childhood friend once lived). But the butler at the door tells her there is no one of the sort (servant boy/man) residing there. She is discouraged and returns home.

As the story goes on, she realises that the man who the butler and maids of the house work for is the same boy who used to call himself the servant boy. Her questions soon afterwards become answered and the rest is for you to decided whether you wish to read it.

I truly enjoyed the plot of this book, even the characters were interesting. Most of all, the plot does not stay the same for long, eventually a bigger plot is revealed, which is even as juicy as the initial childhood friendship turned into true love plot.

Truly a great read. I believe that it is a book worth getting.

No Choice But Surrender
No Choice But Surrender
by Meagan McKinney

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read!, 30 Aug. 2006
There are bound to be a few people who won't enjoy this book. I can tell, the plot is very strong, it is about a poor young woman who get's into all kinds of trouble because of the man who calls himself her father. Her father (an "evil" man) loses a poker game and loses all that he has gambled including one of his houses where his daughter lives, to Avenel Slane.

Avenel who now owns the property arrives to find the daughter who currently resides in the house, it goes from there one. Initially he wants to make the girl pay for all the horrible things that her father has done, but after trying he finds that he cannot punish someone he dearly loves even if her father has caused him much pain.

It is truly a beautiful story, conveyed a slightly different way to usual.

I still enjoyed it very much, it was full of action and romance, passion and suspense, a great novel indeed.

I would recommend this book to anyone who wants a slightly more attention grabbing plot.

Unmasked
Unmasked
by Virginia Henley

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing plot!, 30 Aug. 2006
This review is from: Unmasked (Mass Market Paperback)
I read this book a while ago, and even though I cannot remember exactly what happened when in the book, I can remember the feeling that I had when I finished it. This is one of those books that you just fall in love with the characters and you just want to keep on reading. I found this plot to be very realistic and interesting to read. The characters themselves were also very well developed and it was very easy to follow them through the story. I really did enjoy this story, it's got a great unique plot, the characters are 'deep' and interesting and I feel that the author has a really great immagination.

Unlike the other romance novels this novel has the male lead character as the one desperately in love with the female lead character, which is quite an interesting twist.

I think this is a book for anyone who enjoys reading romance novels.

I wish I could say more but for now all I can say is 5 stars all the way!

Page: 1 | 2