ARRAY(0xa7cac558)

Profile for Bento Lover > Reviews

Content by Bento Lover

Bento Lover "bentobusiness.co.uk" (Hampshire, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth
Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth
by Reza Aslan

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing author, 28 July 2013
Brilliant book, amazing scholar, eye opening book! Cannot recommend it enough. Reza Aslan has a brilliant mind and is charming and thoughtful in his approach.

Riotous Rainbow - Whimsical Wonderball
Riotous Rainbow - Whimsical Wonderball

3.0 out of 5 stars Lots of silly fun, 12 Dec 2012
I got this for a Thanksgiving party, and although we were all adults, we still had fun with the silly contents. Not exactly amazing things inside, and the facts and jokes were all ones we'd heard (and one was repeated!) but we had a great time playing with it. There weren't any instructions so we just guessed what we were supposed to do with it - and in the end it made a massive mess and everyone had a smile on their faces - perfect! [...]

Musical Sparkling Fountain Candle - Red
Musical Sparkling Fountain Candle - Red
Offered by THE ONLINE WORKSHOP
Price: 3.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Certainly a showstopper, 12 Dec 2012
Looking for something a bit different for my friends' birthdays (twins!) I picked this up. It was great fun - played Happy Birthday (and eventually turned off again - we were worried it would carry on forever!) and was generally very pretty. One of the petals needed to be pushed down as it didn't fall by itself, but hey - can't have everything! [...]

Miss L Fire Women's Monaco Black Decorative MONABLK40 7 UK
Miss L Fire Women's Monaco Black Decorative MONABLK40 7 UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, vintage, winter shoes!, 12 Dec 2012
These are truly beautiful shoes - comfortable, stylish, and with a beautiful vintage vibe. The fur is brighter in real life than it appears in the photo, and looks really good with the black suede. I love these so much! [...].

Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred [DVD]
Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred [DVD]
Price: 5.00

5.0 out of 5 stars The only trainer worth exercising with, 10 Jan 2012
I've been a massive fan of Jillian Michaels for two years now, and I wouldn't bother picking up an exercise DVD from any other trainer or celeb. I've tried other ones including Tracy Anderson (barmy) and Davina (not challenging enough), but Jillian is the best. She makes you work, she knows what she's doing, and using this workout, together with counting calories, I've lost half a stone in a month before. And that's going from a healthy weight to a slim one - if you were bigger, you'd obviously burn more calories the more you exercise!

She's hard and she won't let you quit - you have to put the work in, but Jillian makes sure you certainly don't waste your time.

Julie & Julia: My Year of Cooking Dangerously
Julie & Julia: My Year of Cooking Dangerously
by Julie Powell
Price: 6.29

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 29 Sep 2011
I used to love reading Julie's blog, and I'm also a fan of Julia Child. I was fascinated with the practical challenge surrounding the idea of cooking all of these recipes in just a year. I wanted to know all of the details: how she fit the recipes into her schedule, how she sourced odd ingredients, how she paid for it - all the stuff she spoke about on her blog. Unfortunately, the focus here is on Julie herself, with the odd page about Julia's life thrown in for good measure. Even though I'm a fan of Julia Child, I really didn't appreciate the parts about her life that Julie focused on - it was all to do with her marriage (which is fine) and painted Julia as a bit of a sexually obsessed, frank and almost childish character. That's not really the Julia Child I wanted to read about, I was more interested in her amazing culinary achievements. If you want to read an autobiography about a slightly unpleasant person (sorry, Julie, but you did write this as a warts and all book, so you've sold your right to feel upset about people frankly evaluating your character), read this. If you wanted to read a great story about food, this isn't the place to come, and that's why I was disappointed. In fact, some of her descriptions are stomach churning, particularly the part where she finds a nest of maggots in her kitchen.

Yes, I spoiled part of the ending of the book. But I wish someone had told me before I bought this, so I'm telling you as a public service!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 16, 2012 3:25 PM BST

Kitchen: Recipes from the Heart of the Home
Kitchen: Recipes from the Heart of the Home
by Nigella Lawson
Price: 13.00

3.0 out of 5 stars So far, disappointed..., 22 Sep 2010
I love Nigella, I have all her other books and turn to them regularly. I've always loved Feast and Domestic Goddess in particular, but the layout of this book reminds me of Express - what with the confusing chapter titles that bundle recipes in very vague groups. It can be hard to find what you're looking for without the index - I think chapters should be more logical than this.

Having tested four of the recipes right away, I have to say the results aren't as good as I expected from Nigella. The pasta with marmite was okay, but didn't really warrant such a fuss, in my opinion. The Blondies were a total disaster for me and I really didn't get the point of the recipe at all. Also, I was under the impression that in US cooking at least, there is already such a thing as a Blondie, but this recipe in no way resembled that - it's supposed to be a brownie with no chocolate. The red velvet cupcakes were a success - I would make them again as they were very moist and stayed so for an entire week. However, the direction to add vinegar or lemon to the frosting I would query, because adding vinegar to mine just made it taste of vinegar, as you would expect! Lastly, the chicken with 40 cloves of garlic recipe was good, but I think the steps were way too fiddly and could have been done much easier, with the same amount of washing up involved, in a frying pan and casserole dish rather than a bowl and casserole dish. Also, there's a slight error in the ingredients list which makes it look like you add a lot more wine than you're supposed to - it's easy to spot as a mistake, but is a bit confusing at first!

When you cook four recipes at random from a cook book and two are disappointments, one has an error in the ingredients list, and one gives a strange result, it's rather worrying. I hope I just picked the worst recipes, but I'm reluctant to cook anything else out of this without a recommendation from someone who has cooked it and found it to be any good!

Sorry Nigella. But I still love you.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 14, 2011 12:34 PM GMT

Life is Sweet: A Collection of Splendid Old-Fashioned Confectionery
Life is Sweet: A Collection of Splendid Old-Fashioned Confectionery
by Hope and Greenwood
Price: 9.09

3.0 out of 5 stars Lovely book, shame about the printing error, 13 Oct 2009
I would have given this book a full five stars had it not had a printing error on the page for 'Fluffy Vanilla Marshmallows', which doesn't list all the ingredients. It's not too difficult to follow the recipe for another marshmallow recipe to make this up, but it's still quite a big error. I've made five of these recipes since buying the book (a recommendation in itself!) and I was very pleased with the results of everything except the cinder toffee, which calls for vinegar and honey, both of which taste very strong in the finished product and wasn't really what I was hoping for. The rest produced excellent results, the best being vanilla fudge. Although, I have found that the waiting and mixing times for the recipes - such as how long the mixture should take to get up to a certain temperature, or how long you should whip marshmallows, seems a lot longer than necessary.
Other than these complaints, the book is delightful - fun, witty, mouthwatering and all round beautiful to behold. Despite contacting the publishers about the recipe problem I've had no response, but I assume future printings of this book will correct the problems.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 16, 2009 2:57 PM BST

USA Cookbook
USA Cookbook
by Sheila Lukins

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best cookbooks out there on any subject, 25 Feb 2009
This review is from: USA Cookbook (Paperback)
Chatty, clear, passionate and varied, this book is everything I'd hoped to find when researching Americana. I've ordered so many books on American food, but really, this should have been my first port of call. Okay, so there are no pictures, but the fantastically friendly style of writing, informative boxouts and mouth-watering recipes more than make up for it. I honestly believe this to now be one of my most favourite cook books and it's the first book I've ever read that I've wanted to give six stars to!

There's really not much that isn't covered by this book - it even has recipes for things you might not even have considered, like relishes and bread.

Overall, a fantastic recipe book and a great read! What higher praise could you ask for from a cookbook?

It's All American Food
It's All American Food
by David Rosengarten

3.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive, but not conclusive, 23 Feb 2009
This review is from: It's All American Food (Hardcover)
I ordered this book in pursuit of a slice of Americana - diner specials, Thanksgiving, milkshakes, etc - but what I got instead was a fairly detailed exploration of food from around the world which has been embraced by American chefs. This is great, but not entirely what I was hoping for - and the recipes and descriptions were professional and passionate, but lacked local colour and down-to-earth ancedotes. The book is in black and white, and does cover some honest-to-goodness classic 'American' recipes, but not enough to keep me happy. I think this is definitely one for an American audience (and more power to it), but for someone English hoping to capture the essence of American cuisine, this is not the place to come.

Page: 1 | 2