Profile for Rattiman > Reviews

Rattiman

Farecla 7163 150ml G3 Professional Scratch Remover Paste
Farecla 7163 150ml G3 Professional Scratch Remover Paste

5.0 out of 5 stars Hard to believe!, 9 Sept. 2013
I bought the waffle pads as well and set to work on a 20 cm scratch in my new black paintwork that was showing white.

After 3 or 4 minutes I thought that it was at least diminishing the obviousness of the scratch, That motivated me to keep going for another 10 minutes, at the end of which no scratch! (OK if I looked really up close I could just see the faintest of lines, but only because I knew where to look).

I was really astounded that this was possible & v happy to see my car looking new again. I would caution that this scratch was not really deep like a 'keying', but it was typical of a scrape in a car park.

Philips SensoTouch RQ1251 Gyroflex 3D Electric Shaver with Jet Clean and Charge system

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good, 5 Mar. 2013
I was replacing a Braun 9000 series and was recommended to try the Philips if I wanted a quicker shave, although not necessarily a closer one.

I haven't had it long enough to get really smart with it, but there's no doubt you don't have to manoeuvre it so much to get close (because of its rotary floating action) and it is much quieter.

Having said that I'm not sure it is really quicker if you want a close shave, and ultimately it may not be able to shave as close as a screen type. However I'm happy with it.

The pluspoint is it'll give you an adequate shave v quickly and quietly.

Waiting for Sunrise
Waiting for Sunrise

5.0 out of 5 stars Atmospheric conundrum, 19 Feb. 2013
It's all there. The meticulous sense of time and place allied with the intriguing feeling of not quite knowing where the plot is going and what the author is trying to say. You'll be thinking about this book long after you've finished it.

Another work at the high standard we've come to expect from this author.

Panasonic EW-DJ40  DentaCare Cordless Rechargeable Oral Irrigator
Panasonic EW-DJ40 DentaCare Cordless Rechargeable Oral Irrigator

4.0 out of 5 stars Good buy, 8 Jun. 2012
I've tried the Braun and the Waterpik. The former is a good product but in its later guises rather lacks jet power. The latter is a complete waste of money (no jet power, hopeless reserves of water & battery power).

The Panasonic is a very good product with lots of jet power but is really a (very) portable device for travellers as the reservoir is usually OK but is not generous compared with the Braun which is a fixed installation.

The Road: Stories, Journalism, and Essays (New York Review Books Classics)
The Road: Stories, Journalism, and Essays (New York Review Books Classics)
by Vasily Grossman

4.0 out of 5 stars A traumatic journey, 17 Dec. 2010
Vasily Grossman's journalism is direct and does not spare the reader. Even taken by itself, his description of Treblinka - based on his being with the Red army unit who liberated the camp plus many interviews with former inmates - makes this book worth reading.

For a man whose mother had been liquidated by Himmler's einsatzgruppen earlier in the war his writing maintains an extraordinary unblinking objectivity.

Nor is his sorrowful enquiry directed in only one direction: there is much interesting, and even intimate, detail about the senior figures caught up in (or perpetrating) Stalin's purges.

Some of his short fictional stories seem a little trite, but perhaps this is because they were published under a regime where real events had to be cloaked in allegory.

Overall a disturbing window on the 1930s and 40s through Russian eyes.