Profile for soundman > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Blue Spot 80101 Stove Pipe Thermometer
Blue Spot 80101 Stove Pipe Thermometer

5.0 out of 5 stars Inexpensive thermometer, 18 Nov 2014
Perfect, does the job at half the cost of most thermometers. Bought this to check the optimum operating temperature for a stove fan, purchased at the same time. Mine is just held on with the magnetic strip to the flue pipe. It says you need to mount it 18" from the surface of the stove, but we have not got that much room. Ours is about 12" from the surface, which probably does reflect on the temperature accuracy by a few degrees, but the ideal operating range (according to the gauge) is between 110 - 250C, so anywhere within this vast range is good. The actual pointer showing degree units is a little difficult to see, but the 'white band' showing min/max is fine, and that's easily visible.

Ring Automotive RAC610 Analogue Compressor 12 V
Ring Automotive RAC610 Analogue Compressor 12 V

4.0 out of 5 stars Neat, tidy worthwhile investment for the boot, 18 Nov 2014
This was a replacement for my foot pump which is kept in the back of the car. It's a neat device, with a cable tidy for the long 12v lead (ample enough to reach the back tyres), and it arrives with an adaptor on the nozzle, which you need to remove for inflating car tyres. My tyres had lost about 2 p.s.i. in pressure, so I needed to inflate up - it took around 45 secs for every p.s.i. (my car is quite heavy, with 4X4 truck tyres). But, within 2 mins, I was up to pressure. I checked with my gauge, and the pump gauge was slightly optimistic, so I had to re-inflate to about 31 p.s.i. for the tyre to be at the right pressure. It does say this in the manual, you should check the pressure with a separate gauge.

In all, I think its great value for money, and it does the job. For me it takes longer than a footpump to inflate 2 or 3 p.s.i. (maybe my heavy car?) but if you can wait, it saves burning off too much energy! I drop it one star as the tyre adaptor is a screw-on type, which is fiddly. I would have preferred a quick release adaptor, like on most good foot pumps, and forecourt pumps.

Valiant PremiAIR 4 Heat Powered Stove Fan - Brand New Design - 2014 Model
Valiant PremiAIR 4 Heat Powered Stove Fan - Brand New Design - 2014 Model

5.0 out of 5 stars Seems to be very efficient, very compact, 13 Nov 2014
Had been researching stove fans for a while, but didn't jump at buying until I could find one that would fit our stove. This is very compact, and possibly one of the smallest (according to Valiant) on the market right now.

Out of the box, there is nothing to set up, just pop it on the stove, and within a few minutes, it will start to spin. If you have not yet got one, I would suggest getting a stove thermometer such as the Blue Spot stove Pipe Thermometer (less than £10) and its perfect for the job.

The fan itself is not totally quiet, you will hear a whirring noise, especially as it speeds up, but its not annoying. There is a bi-metal device on the bottom to prevent it from overheating, should the surface temperature get too hot. It works by literally lifting the fan up off the hot surface, but I would remove it if the safety device cuts in.

Does it work? I think it does. At first, we thought its not pushing out much heat, but it works on movement of air - convection, rather than a force blow like a fan heater. The stove might appear cooler, but the room is definitely warmer, I would say by up to 30% more. For us, that is a huge difference. The optimum effect is reached around 200 - 250 degrees C, but it works at much lower temps.

The unit is fairly robust, the fan is well made, if anything the unit could be a little on the light side, but its so compact, this will fit on any stove. Its also something of a talking point, as its a mystery to some how it works.... with no batteries!!!.

2 year warranty, which is good, and I think, we'll be putting less wood on the stove, and that's what really matters.

Vax Genuine VZL-118 Force 3 Series Filter Kit
Vax Genuine VZL-118 Force 3 Series Filter Kit

5.0 out of 5 stars Original VAX filter kit stops the smells, and brings the cleaner back to new, 13 Nov 2014
Decided to change these after our 5 year old VAX Force 3 Pet cleaner was smelling more like a dog than the dog himself!
Easy to change, the cleaner now smells like new. The kit includes a full filter kit, including the HEPA filter (after the motor) which stops the smells.
From now on, I will change every 2-3 years... provided the old VAX holds out which is still going strong.

BaByliss 5548U Dry and Curl 2100 W Hair Dryer
BaByliss 5548U Dry and Curl 2100 W Hair Dryer

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good hair dryer, 13 Nov 2014
Bought this as a replacement hair dryer for an aging dryer that was about to give out; when you see sparks, its time for it to go!

First impressions are very good, 3 speeds/heat settings, plus cold blow. Volume tool included, and the standard nozzle which clips on. What I like about this model:
++ Reasonable length of lead, and a good quality round flex at that, not thin rubbish. Length is 1.65m
+++ The grille (should you get hair in it), can be opened up from the casing and cleaned out properly.
++++ Very fast, and on the hottest setting, its VERY warm.

Its a large dryer, but very lightweight, I would say not the sort to take on holiday. This is one for regular use.
With a 3 year warranty, this makes this a good budget buy, and the wife and I like it.

BATTERY FOR APPLE MACBOOK 13" WHITE MAC A1185 A1181
BATTERY FOR APPLE MACBOOK 13" WHITE MAC A1185 A1181
Offered by ZZRTEC

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing performance, 18 Oct 2014
Bought this from ZZTEC in the hope it would put my 13" MAC book to rights in the battery department, as we were off on a long vacation and taking the MAC with us. Based on other sensible reviews, these copy units seemed to work fine for some people.

It arrived quickly, and I followed the conditioning instructions to the letter (I am an electrical engineer btw). But, after only 1 week, the battery would not hold charge for longer than an hour. I reconditioned it, but then, the MAC failed to recognise the battery, which meant I had to run the computer on mains. Defeated the object entirely.

All in all, its not a good investment. I did contact the seller, but I was on holiday at the time of testing the battery, so returning before the 30 day deadline was difficult, (I was 5,000 miles away!), therefore, that's my fault, and I cannot gripe about that.

BUT, I did address my specific problems direct to the seller ZZTEC via e-mail, but they had nothing to say about the technical issues.

I am going to try something more expensive, but I think I may end up having to pay for a MAC original after all, if I want good performance.

If you buy one of these, test it thoroughly first, and watch battery performance carefully after a week or two. And don't buy it (like I did) just before a long vacation!

Columbo Season 9 [DVD]
Columbo Season 9 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Peter Falk

5.0 out of 5 stars Columbo Season 9, 15 Jun 2014
This review is from: Columbo Season 9 [DVD] (DVD)
I have always been a fan of Columbo; I already have the box set 1-8, having played them over and over again!

I think the writing is sharper in these later movies, and perhaps lacks the laid back style (and general politeness) of the earlier episodes, which always had that nice 70's feel about LA that gave them so much charm.

These concentrate a bit more on the plots themselves, rather than painting the Columbo character. You'll still find the odd quip, or sketch which always brings a smile. As others have commented, Peter Falk was showing a bit more age when he made these, but he was still as sharp and quick witted as ever.

If you are an avid Columbo fan like me, these will surely not disappoint.

Philips SensoTouch 2D Electric Shaver RQ1145/17
Philips SensoTouch 2D Electric Shaver RQ1145/17

5.0 out of 5 stars Philips SensoTouch 2D Electric Shaver RQ1145/17, 29 May 2014
I've always been a Philishave user, but I thought this time round, I thought I might fancy a change. I have bought foil type shavers in the past, but was horrified at the cost of spare parts for them nowadays, so I settled back on Philips!

First thing I noticed is how good this shaver looks - even the wife commented. It really does look the part, and feels expensive too. There are no surface switches to get clogged up, and the shaver comes with a charging stand. Some have said about the stand being flimsy. I'll agree, its not the best of stands, but you do have to be able to power up this baby without a standard plug and connector; it is after all designed to be waterproof. Initial charge takes 1 hour - exactly as predicted for a full charge. Apparently, a 3 min charge will give you a quick shave if you can't wait that long.

In action: I had already shaved using my old Philishave in the morning, but 6 hours later, I used this one, and was still able to get closer still. The wet shave is very invigorating, especially if you use the sensitive gel. The wet shave does take getting used to if you have sensitive skin like me, but after about a week of shaving, any minor irritations had gone.

You'll find yourself pulling faces to let the rotating heads get round every nook and cranny, but its good facial exercise and this shaver really does follow the contour of your face. Cleaning is so easy, just rinse under the tap, and you are away. I did notice the cutter speed does not revolve as fast as previous Philishaves I have had, but in practice this does not seem to impair the cut, or the shave, which is the most important.

If you are like me, and have been a Philishave user, (but of the fixed head variety) get one of these, and get into the new gyrating mode, I'm sure you'll like it. Why didn't I buy the 3D model? Well, I have never used the sideburn trimmer on my old Philishave, so this was a good choice, and a good price.

Scalibor Collar Small-Medium
Scalibor Collar Small-Medium

3.0 out of 5 stars Scalibor collar, 6 May 2014
We have tried everything here in Italy that Vets normally recommend, Advantix, Frontline, and Scalibor (Scalibor not always recommended by British Vets btw).

Out of all of them, Scalibor probably has the edge for our dog (an older Pointer/Spaniel cross) as once its fitted, you don't have to worry about missing applications etc. It's added bonus it does help prevent leishmaniasis (for a limited time), which is a threat here in Italy.

All pesticide products carry a disclaimer that none are 100% effective - and how true that is. Admittedly, a hot climate like ours, with a higher percentage of ticks/diseases than most countries, is the ultimate acid test for all these products.

That being said, if you are in the UK, I think the Veterinary recommended products should be adequate, and this one the Scalibor collar is worth a try. Some owners have said about the collar causing itching/soreness, but this has not been a problem with our dog.

What I can suggest to dog owners, get a tick remover tool. We brush and inspect our dog regularly, remove any ticks immediately (never leave them on), and keep him out of long grass. We have found the risk is then dramatically reduced.

I really do hope your animal stays healthy, free of these pests, and is happy!

LG 22EA53VQ 21.5-inch IPS LED Monitor
LG 22EA53VQ 21.5-inch IPS LED Monitor
Offered by Webbasket

5.0 out of 5 stars LG 22EA53VQ 21.5-inch IPS LED Monitor, 28 Mar 2014
Was looking for an good quality, reasonably priced monitor for my recording studio. Fell on this one, as it ticked all the boxes, i.e. correct screen size, 16:9 widescreen format (essential for timeline editing), good sharp resolution, and price!

Arrived well packaged from Amazon Germany, and it worked straight out of the box into my MAC Book Pro using the VGA D-sub lead, but DVI and HDMI sockets are also fitted if you prefer.

There are simple controls to adjust colour balance, contrast/brightness, (even gamma if you want to), but this one will work out of the box. I have also tried it with our trusty old Compaq PC, and no problems there either.

I am not running at the maximum native resolution as we suffer from "dirty mains" here, and 'frequency flicker' comes and goes on certain days, so I have dropped down a tad in my MAC screen settings. But, this is not a problem at all. This is something a lot of people do not realise when buying a very sharp large screen, then sitting only a few feet from it.

I would also advise checking your graphics card will accommodate a high res screen, or else you might not get the results you are looking for. Paying an extra few quid for top quality DVI/VGA leads also make a huge difference to pictures too.

Performance:
We don't use it for gaming, but we DO use for audio editing, sometimes having to zoom in on tracks within an individual waveform of a thousandth of an inch, which requires very fine detail. We can see this detail with no problems at all. It also helps our workflow as we can have two or more windows open using the entire width of the large screen. After using this, a 17" laptop screen simply doesn't cut it any longer!

It's very fast response time is also good for us (as well as the gamers among you!) as we have to keep an eye on fast moving waveforms, checking for crackles, pops and irregularities.

The IPS panel has a superb viewing acceptance angle, much better than standard LED, and the colours on this screen are excellent. It's also dead silent - for us, in a recording environment that is an absolute must, i.e. no hums, whistles or background buzz to annoy you whilst reading on the internet.

For the money, I don't know how they do it. The quality of this screen exceeds easily meets the MAC spec, and for a fraction of the price.

Finally, the stand (for some a bit of an issue). Yes, maybe its not the best stand I have seen on a panel, but adequate for the job, and fully adjustable.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5