Profile for Greying Fox > Reviews

Content by Greying Fox

Greying Fox (Gloucestershire)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Proraso Shaving Cream Tube - Protective (150ml)
Proraso Shaving Cream Tube - Protective (150ml)
Offered by The Original Shaving Company

5.0 out of 5 stars Cream of the crop, 26 April 2016
Until now, I've only tried the Proraso tubs (croaps - not quite a soap, not quite a cream), and have found them a bit underwhelming in terms of slickness and moisturising ability. The Blue is available only as a tube, and it's a much superior product in my opinion. It works up to a rich yogurty lather in no time and is much more effective than the tubs in hydrating the beard and providing a cushion for the blade to glide over.

I don't know how best to describe the scent other than it's not too overpowering and it doesn't linger after the shave.

This will be particularly useful for travelling, when it's so much easier to take a tube of shaving cream than a tub. Recommended.

TOOGOO(R) 12-Piece Drawstring Gift Bags, 3 by 4-Inch, Black Velvet
TOOGOO(R) 12-Piece Drawstring Gift Bags, 3 by 4-Inch, Black Velvet
Offered by Candy Lighting

1.0 out of 5 stars Wrong size information, 16 April 2016
These are 2 by 3 inches, not 3 by 4 as advertised.

Fatip Piccolo Safety Razor - Nickel
Fatip Piccolo Safety Razor - Nickel
Offered by The Original Shaving Company

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb and stylish little razor, 13 April 2016
This is a tiny powerhouse of a razor, which delivers a comfortable and extremely close shave. Although it's smaller than its open comb sibling, the Grande, it's actually heavier, and it feels like a substantial piece of kit despite its size. It's nickel-plated brass and, although the finish may have some minor flaws, they don't really detract from the look of the razor.

It shaves like a dream: it's less aggressive than a Muhle R41 and easier to use, but delivers just as close a shave. The combination of a relatively large amount of blade exposure and the open comb means that it should deal particularly well with heavy growth, or for those who choose not to shave every day. However, I shave daily and don't have especially heavy growth, and I find it works extremely well for me as well. It delivers a close, irritation-free shave time after time, and I highly recommend it for anyone looking for something a bit more assertive than a closed comb razor.

The Original Deep Cleansing Cream Noxzema 12 oz Cream For Unisex (Pack of 2)
The Original Deep Cleansing Cream Noxzema 12 oz Cream For Unisex (Pack of 2)
Offered by Adams Beauty

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding for traditional shaving, 6 Mar. 2016
I wet shave with traditional razor blades and have been looking for an alternative to expensive pre-shave creams. Several American colleagues recommended Noxzema - apparently it was issued as a shaving cream to US troops in the Korean War.

Brilliant. Wonderful. Outstanding. I could not run out of superlatives to describe what a transformational effect this product has had on the quality of my shaves. As a pre-shave, it softens and hydrates the beard, making shaving smoother. And a little rubbed into the face before applying lather adds a level of slickness that means the razor just glides over the skin.

I don't particularly like the scent, which is somewhat medicinal, but is dissipates quickly and doesn't interfere with the scent of your shaving cream or aftershave. But I'll forgive that because of how well it performs.

Muhle R41 Safety Razor
Muhle R41 Safety Razor
Offered by The Executive Shaving Company

5.0 out of 5 stars Needs time to master, but is well worth the effort, 12 Feb. 2016
(This review has been updated based on more experience with the razor)

The first thing to say is that this razor is definitely not for the novice. It demands a level of technique that is best developed on a closed comb or slant bar razor; and a level of concentration during the shave itself that needs to be maintained at all costs. With these attributes in place, there is no reason why the R41 won't deliver close comfortable shaves one after each other, day in day out. The additional level of blade exposure is very noticeable, even when shaving at shallow angles; and it is unforgiving of mistakes or lapses of concentration. A nick or weeper is only one stroke away, one feels.

Ultimately, that's why I've knocked a star off. I want my shave to be a pleasant and relaxing experience, and this razor has me on edge throughout. Maybe my comfort level will grow through time, but given that I shave every day and my growth isn't too heavy, it's probably too much razor for my personal needs. I will put it in my rotation, but I don't think it will get as much use as a closed comb or slant.

YMMV, of course. If you're an irregular shaver, and/or have heavy beard growth, the R41 certainly has the heft to mow through the toughest whiskers. As you would expect from a Muhle the finish is immaculate and the blade alignment perfect. Your technique needs to be just as immaculate and perfect to make the most of it.

Update: After a couple of weeks away from the R41 and using a slant razor, I gave it another spin. Boy, am I glad that I did. I am now getting the closest, easiest shaves I've ever had. With this razor, it's all about technique, and once you've mastered it you're well set. I think the thing that clinched it for me was realising that it performs better with a slightly steeper shaving angle than a slant razor, and once I made that adjustment, there was no looking back. There's something about confidence as well: if you're tentative with this razor, it will bite you. But if you treat it with respect, take the time to learn how best to use it, it will repay that investment many times over.

I'm now getting the closest shaves with the fewest passes that I've ever had, so it's now going to be a regular.

I've updated my rating to five stars to reflect my experience with the razor.

Semogue 620 Shaving Brush
Semogue 620 Shaving Brush
Offered by Portuguese Factory

5.0 out of 5 stars Particularly good for soaps and face lathering, 12 Feb. 2016
What a fantastic brush! This is my first boar brush after years of badgers, and it's been a revelation. It's particularly good for people like me who prefer a face lather to a bowl lather. It's got a stiffness to it which aids face lathering, but it's never harsh or spiky. That extra stiffness also comes in handy if you're lathering soap from a tub.

Mine seemed to break in very quickly and I was up and running in no time. It looks stylish and is well worth the money.

One tip is that the brush takes longer to dry than a badger, even when stored upside down as recommended. I wonder if this might mean that it could start to smell a bit if used every day, so I will either alternate with a badger or buy another!

Proraso Liquid Aftershave Cream (100 ml)
Proraso Liquid Aftershave Cream (100 ml)
Offered by 118store-com

3.0 out of 5 stars Neither one thing nor the other., 12 Feb. 2016
It's got a pleasant, understated, clean fragrance and the balm moisturizes the skin effectively after a shave. However, I didn't find that it had any noticeable effect on those (thankfully few) occasions when I've suffered irritation.

So it falls between two stools for me: there are more effective post-shave balms and creams out there, such as Body Shop Razor Relief or good old Neutrogena Comfort Balm; and there are more pleasant after shaves. I'll dab a bit on from time to time, but won't buy another one.

Clubman After Shave Lotion 370 ml
Clubman After Shave Lotion 370 ml
Offered by Cosmetic Solutions Inc.

4.0 out of 5 stars Classic masculine fragrance, 27 Jan. 2016
This is a classic masculine scent which will - at least for gentlemen of a certain age - transport them back to the barber's shops of their youth. It's fresh and clean; it has a longer sillage than I expected, given other comments; and it's very good value for money compared to many fragrances on the market.

It won't become my signature scent, but I like it a lot and will probably buy more when this large bottle eventually runs out.

Arko Men EXTRA SENSITIVE After shave balm 150 ml
Arko Men EXTRA SENSITIVE After shave balm 150 ml
Offered by Sanssouci

5.0 out of 5 stars Effective and good value for money, 8 Jan. 2016
This is very good after a DE shave. It cools the skin and leaves it moist and supple. It hasn't really got any fragrance to speak of, so you can use a separate after shave if you want without any risk of conflicting odours! It performs just as effectively as other post-shave products costing up to five times the price, so I'm pleased with this purchase.

Merkur - Heavy Duty Slant Bar Safety Razor (37C)
Merkur - Heavy Duty Slant Bar Safety Razor (37C)
Offered by Gifts & Care

5.0 out of 5 stars Smooth as silk, 30 Dec. 2015
Having spent a couple of months refreshing my DE technique on my Muhle R89, I felt confident enough to move on to the Merkur 37C. Any trepidation I may have had disappeared within a couple of strokes. At one point I thought I had got my angles wrong because it didn't seem to be cutting, but in fact the shave was so smooth that I hadn't actually felt a thing!

This razor is particularly good if you want to achieve the BBS shave by going against the grain on the third pass. I've never been able to do this before without suffering some discomfort and redness, but the 37C makes it easy. Like any razor, you need to treat it with respect, prepare well, and concentrate during the shave itself; but there's nothing to fear from this razor and I don't think you need to be an experienced DE shaver to use it properly.

The handle is quite short, but I don't find this a problem; the finish is a bit more utilitarian than a Muhle or Edwin Jagger, but it's all about the quality of the shave, and this delivers in spades.

Technical details: I've used this with an Astra SP blade and Arko shaving soap, preceded by Proraso sensitive skin shave cream.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8