Profile for Mrs. Terrie Rintoul > Reviews

Content by Mrs. Terrie Ri...

Mrs. Terrie Rintoul "the book in you" (UK)

Pack of 100 Green Chenille Pipecleaners
Pack of 100 Green Chenille Pipecleaners
Offered by Art and Craft Factory
Price: 3.33

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what we needed, 11 Aug 2013
We are using these as gentle garden ties. With the advantage of bulk buying they will see us through for quite a while!

Garden Obelisk 30-10-00
Garden Obelisk 30-10-00
Offered by Selections Ltd
Price: 7.49

5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely product at a great price, 17 Jun 2013
This review is from: Garden Obelisk 30-10-00
It was just what I was looking for. I ordered two and they are now in my garden waiting for some sweet peas to climb up them!

The Cement Garden
The Cement Garden
by Ian McEwan
Price: 5.59

4.0 out of 5 stars Something nasty in the woodshed - well actually the cellar, 26 April 2010
This review is from: The Cement Garden (Paperback)
This is early McEwan at its best. He gets right into the skin of Jack, an adolescent boy with some pretty horrible personal habits and paints a picture of family life which is ordinary as far as the boy is concerned and anything but ordinary to the reader.

It begins with four children - two boys and two girls, a mother and a father.

The house has seen better days, the children, often left to their own devices are orphaned over the course of the story. With echoes of Golding's 'Lord of the Flies' they establish their own hierachy and even a kind of routine as their lives gradually descend into anarchy and chaos.

Ironically, the one thing that unites them is their determination to stop the family from being split up and taken into care.

Ian McEwan is one of the few writers I know that has the power to terrify and appall his readers and the amazing thing is that he does it with an extremely simple and direct style. Almost before you realise it you find yourself in a very dark place, desperately trying to get out.

Definitely not for the faint hearted. The Cement Garden is a bleak read which is a modern classic.

This is Not About Me
This is Not About Me
by Janice Galloway
Price: 6.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just another misery memoir, 17 Aug 2009
This review is from: This is Not About Me (Paperback)
As a life story writing teacher I read a lot of biography and memoir but this one is definitely the best I have read for a long time. Yes it is sad in parts and Janice's sister Cora is terrifying but there are many moments of humour and examples of great stoicism. When I am teaching I do everything I can to get my students back into their child's skin and this book is a masterclass in just that. I have heard that this is the first volume of Janice Galloway's memoirs and I for one can't wait to read the next one.
My only criticsm has nothing to do with the writing. The hardback edition has a photograph of Janice squeezed in between Cora and her mother on a setee made for two. She opens the book with a detailed description of this photograph and it sets the tone for the rest of the story. Why then does the paperback version use a different picture of a little girl (presumably Janice) which is never referred to in the book? An idea from the publisher's marketing department perhaps. If so, not a very good one.