Profile for Mart > Reviews

Content by Mart

Mart (Lancs, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Team Group Micro SDXC 64 GB 45 MB/s UHS-I Memory Card with SD Adapter (Retail Packaging)

5.0 out of 5 stars Join the team!, 15 Sept. 2014
I've used this card in a Nokia Lumia 635. As far as I can tell its worked fine, had it for a couple of months now. I have only used about 10GB so far though to be fair. Good price and I tested transfer rates using an adapter and my PC and they were pretty much as advertised, which is important for phones.
Its time every phone supported these cards rather than charging a fat fee for a higher memory model.

Suma Organic Barley Grain 500 g (Pack of 6)
Suma Organic Barley Grain 500 g (Pack of 6)

5.0 out of 5 stars Big breakfast, 15 Sept. 2014
These seem perfectly good, I simmer them until cooked and add to porridge for extra energy. Taste fine to me ...

NEW 2015 Explorer pure water filter bottle - 1600 litre Green with carrier & lanyard

5.0 out of 5 stars Good customer service, 15 Sept. 2014
I haven't used this in the wilds so refer to other reviewers who have on that score. I mostly use it to provide more pleasant, healthy water when I'm in various places as an alternative to buying bottles or drinking tap water, which seems quite impure most of the time.

I was a bit puzzled with this at first as the instructions didn't seem to match the cap and filter assembly exactly and I later ran into problems where the filter would not stay attached to the cap. On contacting drink-safe they identified an incorrect cap had been supplied and sent me a replacement within a day.

With the proper cap and filter assembly there is a very good rate of flow of water without much pressure needed. The bottle is light and easy to carry about.

If you do run into a problem with this I suggest you contact the company as they are very helpful and quick to sort out the issue, which impressed me, as well as the function of the bottle especially with the correct cap.

Home
Home
Offered by MEGA Media FBA

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb!, 9 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Home (Audio CD)
Couldn't agree more with other reviews, this is a superb album and an incredible pleasure to listen to. The other musicians do a very fine job as well.

Its a shame this kind of work isn't more appreciated by the general population: would surely make for happier days and less road rage!

Never Never Land (CD)
Never Never Land (CD)
Offered by Global_Deals

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet, aesthetic, 5 April 2011
This review is from: Never Never Land (CD) (Audio CD)
This is the second Jane Monheit album I've bought and again its excellent. Beautiful voice, expression, delivery and perfectly backed up by excellent musicians.

For me the main thing is not how old a song is or when it was recorded or even what genre, but how it makes one feel and how enjoyable it is, these are great and the whole album is just one to really enjoy, so much so it makes me think of buying better kit.

Highly recommended for sure.

Necessary Evil
Necessary Evil
Offered by A2Z Entertains

5.0 out of 5 stars FUN!!!, 30 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Necessary Evil (Audio CD)
As others already said, this CD is one which takes a few listens to appreciate. Quite a lot of art is like that and some of the best doesn't communicate immediately. Not every track is brilliant but I particularly liked, 'Two Times Blue;, 'Deep End', 'School for Scandal' to start with.

I find listening to it a lot of fun, interesting & different -- well worth a purchase for that alone. A derivative world is a boring world & I would much rather support artists that come up with something original and interesting, even if it does not massage the average person.

Play it loud in your car and drive people nuts :-)

Blondie At The BBC
Blondie At The BBC

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Stuff!, 4 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Blondie At The BBC (Audio CD)
I don't really need to provide too much detail as that's been done in other reviews of this. What I would like to say is that its really good to be able to see the footage of this great band in the 70s and experience them as they were then.

Sound quality is very good, its a very live recording so naturally imperfect but there's a great energy about the Glasgow gig and its a lot of fun. Video quality is decent for the era as well.

As a fan, enjoyed this a lot and the audio CD gets played quite often. If you're not a fan but interested then its well worth taking a look.

It isn't compressed pop though so to enjoy Blondie 'at its best' some kit which will cover the low frequencies properly would help, especially in the live recordings like this one.

I think, in general releases of gig footage or audio of this type is definately a positive and not just for Blondie. Many people would like to look or listen to older footage and recordings of their favourite bands or relive great gigs of the past.

Starship Troopers
Starship Troopers

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely good & thought provoking, 20 Mar. 2009
This review is from: Starship Troopers (Paperback)
I read this book first many years ago and enjoyed it, in amongst many other books I was reading at the time but did not, looking back really understand it fully. Later I saw the film and was a bit disappointed, although it was worth watching.

This one, like many Heinlein books is a simple story, beautifully told; essentially of a relatively ordinary person, decent, mostly honest and good hearted and shows how he grows as a person on overcoming the challenges to his existence. Its worth reading just to enjoy a good story and the adventures that 'Johnny' goes through as he joins up hoping to do a couple of years to earn his citizenship and ends up committing his future to the cause.

One of the many political points raised is that in most societies today we have people voting bread and circusses. Basically, anyone has a vote and most have only self-interest in mind. Thus, in the UK political parties tend to pander to people to get elected and when in power have to do the same, perhaps rather than taking the decisions that should really be taken. As soon as the popularity ratings drop, a panic is triggered.

In other countries, military service is enforced on everyone, eg Israel, some others too. At least in Heinlein's world people have a choice. Its somewhat ideal and primary coloured; but if we were able to build a system based on natural law what would it be like? It would be simple, probably unfair but workable. Fairness is often screamed for, but who does one really want to be fair to, the guy who just claims benefit and contributes nothing; or someone who is willing to help improve things?

Now, I wouldn't run off and join the army after reading this again. But I do understand from this what the training is supposed to achieve and that a growing appreciation of real hard work, discipline and decency, working with other people and depending on them is actually what makes a person fit to be a citizen -- not just where one happened to be born.

The subjects this book takes up are big subjects and important concepts that a person should be exposed to and it provokes thought without being too complex for a young person to understand. Even if one doesn't agree, or perhaps especially if one doesn't the exposure to a different point of view is very valuable.

There are things worth fighting for and books well worth reading. This is one of them.

Stranger in a Strange Land (Hodder Great Reads)
Stranger in a Strange Land (Hodder Great Reads)

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly Enjoyed This!, 25 Feb. 2009
This is one of my favourite Heinlein books, it is funny, totally irreverent and challenges many points of view.

I read it in the unabridged edition many years ago and as many of Heinlein's works, the attitudes and viewpoints are something which helps broaden one's own. A search for new viewpoints and experiences is a beneficial thing to growing and becoming a person fit to be alive.

Many things happen in this story from the arrival of Mike on Earth to his eventual passing from it. But I was enthralled from the start to the end and amazed as things developed along the way.

I'm not sure that there aren't some parallels in the story with Heinlein's friend L Ron Hubbard who developed Scientology in some respects and the whole idea of spiritual improvement and empowerment is very uplifting.

Like lots of Heinlein's books there are interesting sexual attitudes which I have no issue with personally. Personally, I believe that any spiritual enlightenment would probably go along with a freedom to feel and do as one wishes in that regard without fear or concern.
However, we see that as bad because it is also a symptom of degraded and low level behaviour where rather than being free the individual is expressing desperation and destructiveness in fact through promiscuity.

To sum up I found this novel really enjoyable, especially the final part and I recommend it. There are lots of attitudes one may not like or things one is not supposed to say but this is after all a work of art and not necessarily the political or personal view of Heinlein himself.

Maybe see this one as more of a pandora's box. I was never sure why that story used to be told at school ... but here we have all sorts of things being questioned and things happening but ultimately, the hope of humanity is in its intelligence and willingness to grow to meet challenges, as symbolised in this book by the Martians who plan to wipe out the human race in their slow way. Lots to enjoy here.

Job: a Comedy of Justice
Job: a Comedy of Justice
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly enjoyed this book!, 25 Feb. 2009
I recently read this again after reading it first many years ago and enjoyed it just as much, even knowing what happens.

Many situations in the book are very amusing and the whole idea is irreverent but never intended in my view to insult any religion.

It is very different and is not what I'd describe as SF exactly although there are some elements there.

Heinlein's later work seems to deal with love and affection between people, decency, fairness and indeed Justice as in the title. From my point of view he deals with these subjects well and in a natural, untwisted way.

Some of thw worlds visited are very funny, especially those most like ours. One constant is that whilst the powerful and almighty appear bent on being as unhelpful as possible, there is a willingness running through the whole story of the ordinary person to offer nothing but help and decency.

It is outrageous and funny and not one to miss.

Page: 1 | 2