ARRAY(0xab43bf30)

Airfix A01005 Mitsubishi Zero 1:72 Scale Series 1 Plastic Model Kit
Airfix A01005 Mitsubishi Zero 1:72 Scale Series 1 Plastic Model Kit
Price: 5.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Box of disappointment, 31 Jan 2014
PAINT AND GLUE NOT INCLUDED. This fact is included under 'Product Features' on the Amazon web page, but not under 'Product Description'. Also, the picture on the box doesn't match the picture on the web page. It's a different colour - well it would be if I had any suitable paint...or glue. About to return it. Disappointing.

Dead On Arrival
Dead On Arrival
Price: 1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast-paced thriller, 7 Dec 2013
This review is from: Dead On Arrival (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed this book. The sinister premise and punchy prose take you from the well-lit world of the airport to some very dark places. In amongst the darkness there are some genuinely funny moments too. A great plot, well executed. Recommended.

All in the Best Possible Taste: Growing Up Watching Telly in the Eighties
All in the Best Possible Taste: Growing Up Watching Telly in the Eighties
by Tom Bromley
Price: 7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended!, 12 Aug 2011
I really enjoyed this book. I read it in a week - which is very quick for me. I'd recommend it. Do you want to know what happened to Petra the Blue Peter dog? What drove Zammo to take heroin? Or, what happened in the Falklands War? There's a lovely mix in this book between the shared experience of having just 3 - and then 4 - TV channels, and autobiographical detail. The format's good too, with 'adverts' interleaved between the chapters. I used to love the adverts, although I never saw the one where Morecambe & Wise advertised Atari. The books a great mix of stuff I'd forgotten I knew and stuff I never knew. Put on your headband, turn up the Jan Hammer and enjoy!

Curb Your Enthusiasm - Music from the TV Series
Curb Your Enthusiasm - Music from the TV Series

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 29 April 2011
On the back of the CD it states, "This compilation is not approved, licensed or endorsed by any entity involved in creating or producing the HBO 'Curb Your Enthusiasm' TV series." So, I'm unclear if these actually are the versions used on the TV soundtrack. The blurb about the CD (above) says BMG library music was used, but is this it? Track 23 ('Amusement' by Franco Micalizzi has an 'extra' bizarre electronic-wah-wah type noise on it, which I don't remember from the show.) Disappointed.

Wolfsangel
Wolfsangel
by M. D. Lachlan

5.0 out of 5 stars Magic!, 30 May 2010
This review is from: Wolfsangel (Paperback)
Bought this after reading review in paper (daily mail: "If you like fantasy, then by Odin this could be the book for you!") Glad i did. Well worth reading. Looking forward to the next one - feels like the start of something big.

Mr Wrong: Lover, loser or Ladies' Man? The true confessions of
Mr Wrong: Lover, loser or Ladies' Man? The true confessions of

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny and moving, 7 July 2008
I loved 'The Elfish Gene' - Barrowcliffe's memoir about playing Dungeons and Dragons - and was keen to see what he'd write about next. 'Mr Wrong' focuses soley on his love life...in great detail. It's funny, insightful and moving. The author does marvellous jokes and manages to create sympathy for himself and the women he has known (and I mean known in the Biblical sense). Definitely worth getting.

The Elfish Gene: Dungeons, Dragons And Growing Up Strange
The Elfish Gene: Dungeons, Dragons And Growing Up Strange

5.0 out of 5 stars Very, very funny!, 3 Jan 2008
I got this book for Christmas. Just finished reading it in the New Year. It was very, very funny. As an ex-D&D-er the jokes and insights had the ring of truth to them and I recognised lots of the characters and situations. I would definitely recommend this book.

Lucky Dog
Lucky Dog

5.0 out of 5 stars Very, very funny, 7 Jun 2004
This review is from: Lucky Dog (Paperback)
This book is very, very funny.
It pairs an honest estate agent, Dave, with a talking dog, Reg. Dave can't lie and Reg can sniff out the truth about everyone - including Dave's girlfriend and his poker school enemies. The dog's an absolute scene stealer, with a hilarious 'Terry Thomas' tone and funny 4 foot high (4 footed?) outlook on the world. It's well plotted with great twists and turns.
I pre-ordered 'Lucky Dog' because I enjoyed Barrowcliffe's other books. Basically: I really recommend this book.

The Earthquake Bird
The Earthquake Bird
by Susanna Jones

5.0 out of 5 stars Intense and interesting., 24 May 2001
This review is from: The Earthquake Bird (Hardcover)
I don't normally enjoy the train journey from Newcastle to Kings Cross, but I read this all the way and it was ace.
Given how complex the story is I found it easy to read, probably because it's so neatly written and brilliantly plotted.
The central character Lucy Fly is a strange fish, the type you're glad is tucked up in the pages so you can get to know her without having to meet.
Since reading it I've also bought it as a birthday present and lent my copy to a mate straight away - what more recommendation can I give? I think I'll be telling people about this book for months to come.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 21, 2013 9:24 AM GMT