Profile for Stromata > Reviews

Remington AS8110 Keratin Volume and Protect Air Styler
Remington AS8110 Keratin Volume and Protect Air Styler

3.0 out of 5 stars A tad on the heavy side., 17 April 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
On paper this Remington Keratin Volume and Protect Air Styler looked really promising, just what I wished for. I have medium-length straight hair which I usually blow-dry with a conventional hand-held hair drier and a barrel-type brush and get fairly good results, but have always felt there was a gap in the market for a sort of drier-brush combo, so I was excited to have the opportunity to try this product.

Unfortunately I share the experience of some other reviewers as this Styler was not very easy to use. Firstly, the Styler is fairly long and surprisingly heavy (much heavier than my usual drier and brush together), which made my arm ache after a short period of use (I have long arms and am fairly robust)! Secondly, the heat settings go 1, 2, and cool, on a large twisting mechanism on the barrel, this not easy to manipulate when trying to style your hair (a separate 'cool' button would, I think, have been much better). Thirdly, although the styler is supplied with two interchangeable bristle brushes, they are both quite large - my medium length hair is about the shortest that could be satisfactorily managed.

Would really like this to be lighter, shorter and with a slimmer brush-head.

Havaianas Star Wars, Unisex Adults' Flip Flops, Red (Red 1440), 8 UK (43/44 EU) (41/42 BR)

3.0 out of 5 stars Expensive but comfortable, 10 April 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I haven't bought a pair of flip-flops for years so was intrigued to find the difference between these 'trendy' ones and the really old pair I bring out when the sun shines. The most outstanding feature of the new pair is of comfort - they were wearable right from the word go. The toe-thong is really comfortable, didn't chafe at all. Apparently Brazilians (where this brand hails from) wear flip-flops on the beach and in the town, so perhaps they are designed with proper walking in mind, as opposed to staggering to the beach and back.

They are very light and, of course, make them essential for holiday packing inclusion.

These are nice flip-flop however I feel they are too expensive for those who live in the real world!

Murad Advanced Blemish and Wrinkle Reducer 30 ml
Murad Advanced Blemish and Wrinkle Reducer 30 ml

4.0 out of 5 stars A serum with results!, 6 April 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have used various 'beauty' balms and serums over the years which have mostly made my skin feel good but not, I believe, look any better. I think this Murad Advanced Blemish and Wrinkle Reducer is something of an exception.

The name of Murad is quite new to me and I was pleased to have the opportunity to try it. I have used this for just over two weeks, applying to my face and neck after cleansing in the morning and before moisturising, and believe I can see an improvement in the tone and texture of my skin already. I am in late middle-age, with few lines but prone to blemishes every now and again.

The packaging for the product is quite clinical, which I like, the pump-action bottle is easy to use and the almost clear serum is pleasant - a little goes a long way.

Having been introduced to the Murad name I was surprised how vast the range of products actually is, my local John Lewis also has a Murad salon, which I hope to visit in the not too distant future.

Very pleased with this serum and will buy another when this bottle runs dry.

Russell Hobbs 23050 Supreme Steam Traditional Iron, 2400 W - White and Blue
Russell Hobbs 23050 Supreme Steam Traditional Iron, 2400 W - White and Blue

4.0 out of 5 stars Lightweight Iron, 22 Mar. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Initially I was very surprised how light in weight this iron is - I have owned heavier travelling irons. On unpacking it my immediate thought was this it was very flimsy, composed of bright blue plastic and didn't look as though it was built to last. However the 'styling' of the product is rather neat and, having tackled a large pile of ironing, found the lightness of the iron rather a blessing.

A small jug is supplied with the iron to ease with the water-filling; the iron heats up fairly rapidly, it glides over the clothes quickly and efficiently and any water left over when you have finished is easily shaken out.

I think if I had seen this in a shop, rather than on-line, I might have dismissed this iron as it doesn't look very substantial, however it does it's job well and quickly too.

Philip's Navigator Camping and Caravanning Atlas of Britain: Spiral
Philip's Navigator Camping and Caravanning Atlas of Britain: Spiral

4.0 out of 5 stars Spiral bound road atlas, 22 Mar. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
We have always been fans of Philip's maps in our household and this latest one is arguably the best one to date. The pages are clear enough to read when navigating but have a surprising amount of information when reading the map for information/pleasure (I cannot be the only person who likes reading maps?) This is the first road atlas I have used that is spiral bound which it really needs to be as this is a weighty tome, 402 pages in length.

As well as the usual content - map, key to map symbols, route planning maps etc there is a useful and comprehensive list of Camping and Caravanning Cub sites. There are twelve Urban Approach Maps, helping you to navigate your way to the heart of the larger cities, again very clear and very useful particularly marking out the 'Park and Ride' spots.

My only gripe with this otherwise super atlas is with the section of 'Town Plans', of which there are well over a hundred. Unfortunately they are so 'small scale' they are totally unreadable without a magnifying glass.

L'Oreal Paris Infallible Matte Max Lipstick Oops I Pink it Again 004 11g
L'Oreal Paris Infallible Matte Max Lipstick Oops I Pink it Again 004 11g

3.0 out of 5 stars Lovely colour, 13 Mar. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I quite like the little sponge-headed applicator - it was very easy to use and a lot better than any of the other 'new-age' lipsticks I have tried. The colour is rather nice somewhere between deep pink and light red, so useful for any time of the day or for evening wear. Unlike other reviewers, I didn't find the product dry on application - again, unlike other 'long-lasting' lipsticks. I do take issue with the claim that this lipstick is, indeed, 'long-lasting' - it wasn't on me! After three hours of wear, admittedly consuming one cup of coffee, the lipstick was all but gone - in it's favour it did disappear evenly.

Recommended as a really nice lipstick - just don't expect it to stay all day.

Lifelong Dog Food, Chicken and Rice for Adult Dogs, 15 kg
Lifelong Dog Food, Chicken and Rice for Adult Dogs, 15 kg

5.0 out of 5 stars Chicken and Rice - good, natural product., 8 Mar. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
One of dogs started displaying symptoms of an allergy/food intolerance - repeated ear infection/irritation and frequent paw nibbling. Our vet suggested the problem could be linked to diet and suggested changing her food, a mid-priced good brand she had been ok with for some time. We were delighted to give the Lifelong Dog Food a try. We introduced 'Lifelong' slowly - as recommended on the pack - and within a week this was all she was consuming. I am very pleased to say that within two weeks of starting this food the paw-licking stopped and her ear infection has subsided (she was also having ear drops for this too). Both of the dogs have glossier coats and slightly better smelling breath. Both dogs produce small amounts of poo, which is another sign of a good-quality product. As both dogs are Labradors and, in truth, will eat anything, I cannot say whether a fussy eater would like this but the food smells pleasant enough!

Crabtree & Evelyn Floral Hand Therapy 25 g - Pack of 3
Crabtree & Evelyn Floral Hand Therapy 25 g - Pack of 3

5.0 out of 5 stars Just lovely!, 20 Feb. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The Crabtree and Evelyn Floral Hand Therapy set consists of a trio of the most delightfully fragrant hand cream, one each of 'Lavender', 'Rosewater' and 'Summer Hill'. Lovely old-fashion scents that would suit anyone, young or not-so young. Weighing only 25g per tube, they fit into the smallest of handbags and being so light (as is the packaging) the set would be very economical to post -perfect for a gift.

The hand cream rubs into the skin very well, not the least bit greasy or sticky. A real treat!

A History of Ancient Greece in Fifty Lives
A History of Ancient Greece in Fifty Lives
by David Stuttard

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - just beware of distractions., 11 Jan. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This book had been with me throughout 2015, not because I found it hard-going, on the contrary, I enjoyed every page and found the whole volume very 'readable'. My problem was that, for example, having read the section on Pindar I felt an urge to explore his work more fully. Two-and-a-bit other books later I came back to Stuttard. Of course I could have just read the book cover-to-cover and would have been totally satisfied - but I enjoyed the distractions!

As well as the clear text, there are a goodly amount of excellent illustrations and some useful maps, a glossary, a timeline, a list of who's who and a very comprehensive further- reading list.

Highly recommended.

Treasured Island: A Book Lover's Tour of Britain
Treasured Island: A Book Lover's Tour of Britain
by Frank Barrett

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, 11 Jan. 2016
An enjoyable trip around some of Britain's literary hot-spots, museums etc. Perhaps the book could have been longer as the author writes well when he keeps to the subject in hand. However, when Mr Barrett goes off the point or has a rant about a particular visitor attraction then I was not so impressed - perhaps he reminds me too much of my husband who, bless him, accompanies me on my 'lit-tours'!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11