Profile for Mrs. V. E. Black > Reviews

Content by Mrs. V. E. Black

Mrs. V. E. Black "ginnyblack" (Oxford, UK)

Fifty Shelves of Grey: A Selection of Great Books Erotically Remastered
Fifty Shelves of Grey: A Selection of Great Books Erotically Remastered

5.0 out of 5 stars Laugh-out-loud funny!, 14 Aug 2012
So good! I really, really enjoyed this.
Try the free preview/look inside for a general idea of the book. But, honestly, certain sections had me howling with laughter.
If you're feeling the post-Olympic blues, give "Fifty shelves" a try!

The Battersea Park Road to Paradise
The Battersea Park Road to Paradise
by Isabel Losada

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully balanced, honest, funny and a little odd!, 22 Aug 2011
I should first express a bias - I am a long term fan of Ms. Losada's. What she does is not always easy; to explore personal experiences of abstract, spiritual, philosophical and emotional concepts without being either too dry and academic, or too personal and embarrassingly revelatory is difficult. To do it with humour and honesty requires a fine touch. I LOVED this book! I can think of very few people who wouldn't enjoy reading it, even if they came to different conclusions at the end of it than I did.
I think this is a fitting sequel to The Battersea Park Road to EnlightenmentThe Battersea Park Road to Enlightenment, which I would also urge people to read. I was particularly interested to read about her experiences with the Ashaninka tribe in Peru and her references to The Continuum Concept The Continuum Concept (Arkana), (much loved by homeschooling/attachment-practising families)by Jean Liedloff, who died earlier this year.
I found this a fascinating book, and it has given me new and different areas to investigate. Thank you, Isabel!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 23, 2011 11:52 AM BST

Minus Nine to One: The Diary of an Honest Mum
Minus Nine to One: The Diary of an Honest Mum
by Jools Oliver

3.0 out of 5 stars Sweet - but not terribly realistic!, 15 Aug 2005
I found the book very sweet, a little bit gushing and over-the-top sometimes, but by and large a comfortable read. The book is beautifully laid out and will encourage the reader to feel very positive about having children. But it is also obvious that Jools has better financial resources than many of us, and a wide and reliable selection of family and friends to call upon in times of need. Also, whilst I wouldn't wish it on her, she hasn't written about the difficulties involved in motherhood; illnesses, family disputes, the choice whether to return to work or not, what type of childcare to use, if any.
I understand that she employs one of her sisters as a nanny. It's hard enough trying to keep the balance between including your family, and still bringing your children up your own way. This must be so much harder when your nanny is also a family member! Issues like this would have made for a more interesting read.
Honest Jools may be, but I doubt most of us can relate to her lifestyle.

Ina May's Guide to Childbirth
Ina May's Guide to Childbirth
by Ina May Gaskin

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 25 July 2004
Anyone who is even considering the remote possibility of having a baby should read this book! The book is divided into two parts; the first part is various birth stories, the second part is the information, techniques, statistics and solutions section. It is written in an easy, conversational style and you can read the chapters in any order.
Whatever your interest in birth, this is head and shoulders above any other book on the subject.