Profile for amused > Reviews

Need Love
Need Love
Price: 6.17

5.0 out of 5 stars Little Love Gems, 14 Sep 2013
This review is from: Need Love (Kindle Edition)
Need Love is a compilation of 55 little gems, every aspect of love, loss, sex, sore hearts and helplessness. Lawrence lays bare all the feelings of passion, longing, needing and loving that goes with being human. It is fitting that Lawrence has written a warning not a foreword!

Having read Lawrence's beautiful book The Haunted Hikikomori, I was expecting his words to elicit very strong feelings and I wasn't disappointed, from the first heart wrenching story Lawrence had me hooked. I had already read a few of his stories before on Lawrence's blog & Twitter feed so they felt like old friends being revisited, reawakening those first feelings of reading such heartfelt raw emotions. The other stories added to the strength of this compilation, all dovetailing perfectly.

The first story, Their Last First Kiss, actually made me cry, a very rare occurrence. In fact I stopped before reading the second story & re-read this achingly beautiful tale of love. Since then I have read this story again, I keep being drawn to the beautiful words, the longing expressed.

So be prepared to feel, really feel, raw emotions welling up from deep inside as Lawrence strips back the layers to show, as he puts it so beautifully in his 'warning', his battered heart. But you won't regret it.

Lawrence thank you and I hope that I was "careful with it".

The Haunted Hikikomori
The Haunted Hikikomori
Price: 5.14

5.0 out of 5 stars Hauntingly Beautiful, 10 Aug 2013
I really do feel that Laurence Pearce has written what could be deemed a classic book. His short stories have captivated me over the weeks since 'stumbling' across him on Twitter, this full length story builds on those beautiful shorties and so satisfies that need to know more about the characters he has so lovingly created.

A beautiful psychological thriller, I can't say too much as it would spoil the book for you.

I urge anyone who loves tense, clever, thought provoking writing to read this. You will not regret it, I found myself so riveted & involved that I had a hard job putting my kindle down. In fact I rushed my chores all day to sit & pick up the story again.

I will be reading this story again now, I could joke that it's haunting me.

The back story to this amazing tale, which Laurence shares with us at the end of the book, is very sad and makes you realise how just one minute, just one person's action, can change another person's whole life.

Katia Winter, the beautiful and very talented actress, has written a interesting and insightful forward and mentions that The Haunted Hikikomori is being made into a film, well that's one film I will pay money to see!

Being Human: Series Three [DVD]
Being Human: Series Three [DVD]
Dvd ~ Aidan Turner
Price: 8.80

5.0 out of 5 stars Being Human :), 31 Jan 2012
There is only one thing wrong with Series 3 - the ending. I am heartbroken!!

Being Human is the funniest, creepiest & most heartwarming programme ever. The writing is superb & the acting is brilliant. This could have been an absolute turkey or should it be a chicken (on a string)!! I think it's the only programme where I have actually wished that I could have been an extra.

But you have to see Series 1 & 2 first.

Oh and Aidan Turner is the best vampire EVER!

Nameless Path
Nameless Path
Price: 8.06

5.0 out of 5 stars Soulful voice with warm heartfelt lyrics, 30 Jan 2012
This review is from: Nameless Path (Audio CD)
Nameless Path is an amazing patchwork quilt of a warm, strong vibrant voice singing in various genres of music! Marcus has a wonderful soulful quality that is evident in the beautiful lyrics and lilting guitar playing. Some upbeat like 'Shadows in the City' some mournful like 'I was broken'.
I loved this album from the first time of hearing and unusually for me there isn't 1 track I have scrubbed off my ishuffle because I'm sure that you like me always have one track on an album that irritates. My ishuffle is never double clicked with this album!!!
I have shared Nameless Path with friends & family and they have all loved it.

Tumble Down
Tumble Down

5.0 out of 5 stars Marcus Foster's voice is amazing, 30 Jan 2012
This review is from: Tumble Down (Audio CD)
Tumbledown, like Nameless Path, is beautifully crafted with each song a gem. Marcus sings from the heart with his wonderful soulful voice. Although each song is musically different they all fit together showing the range of his voice. It's blues & jazz & rock - such an exciting mix.
I can't wait for his next album and to see him live too. I had the chance to see him in London in November and was bitterly disappointed that at the last minute I couldn't go. My only consolation has been listening to Tumbledown and Nameless Path each day on my ishuffle.
I have loved this enough to share with my friends & relatives, even buying another for one relative - who loved it as much as I do.