Profile for Thomas Coote > Reviews

Content by Thomas Coote

Thomas Coote (United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
BULK POWDERS 500mg Magnesium Bisglycinate - Pack of 60 Tablets
BULK POWDERS 500mg Magnesium Bisglycinate - Pack of 60 Tablets

5.0 out of 5 stars Beneficial, 7 Jan. 2016
Helps me greatly with the tension I suffer in my jaw when I'm out at a festival or music events. Usually I'm so excited my fingers won't stop moving but this also helps with that.

FiiO E10K Headphone Amplifier and DAC
FiiO E10K Headphone Amplifier and DAC
Offered by EA Audio

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant purchase for music lovers., 7 Jan. 2016
This is my first DAC I've owned. I thought I loved music before, but now I've heard it through one of these.

Ever since a young age I've always had a huge obsession with music and now, at age 20, I'm no different. Aged 13, when I first got a Sony Walkman MP3 player for my birthday, I'd always have earphones in which got me in a lot of trouble in school. I never really paid interest into the mainstream music - my interest has always been in underground UK music but I have an appreciation for all types and genres. I've previously invested in good headphones and earphones which have usually been focused on bass which is a huge feature of UK music styles. I generally look for high quality music copies, using a spectrum analyser so make sure it's as good as Windows claims. What I never stopped to think about was how the audio was being processed. I assumed it would all come out of the faithful 3.5mm jacks all the same but I've realised how wrong I was. It started when I chose electronics for my A levels and we covered amplifiers. My teacher told me how different configurations can result in different qualities, noise levels etc. I did my research into this and discovered standalone DACs which people were preaching great things about. I did a little looking around reviews and forums and realised the consensus was that this is a cheap but high quality product and I agree totally.

The packaging immediately gave me high hopes as you could tell effort had been made with it. I continued into the box to find a surprisingly weighty product which screamed high quality. It came with a USB cable and rubber feet to prevent slipping. I immediately fired up my laptop and plugged it in. I was happy to find out it was plug-and-play - no software was forced upon me at all. I put my Sony MDR-XB500's in, opened a high quality music piece and was blown away. Wow. I've never heard clarity like it with such rich bass as well. I heard subtleties in the songs that I hadn't heard for the years I'd been listening to them.

I couldn't stop listening so I cycled through a whole variety of tracks and continued to be amazed at each one I heard. I then switched to another set of my headphones (I currently own my Sony MDR-XB500s, JVC HAFX1X IEMs, Plantronics GameCom 388 and Turtle Beach x32s for use with my Xbox). I listened to a whole range of music ranging from Ludovico Einaudi's pieces in FLAC down to early dubstep songs - I noticed a huge improvement with every single one while using this product. I've actually resorted to streaming my Xbox through my PC on maximum quality and using the Windows Xbox app for chat, just to hear the vastly improved sound during gaming. Directional sounds seem so much clearer which applies to games and music. I found that bass now wasn't drowning out the other sounds in the song, even with the bass boost enabled. It's completely changed my view on music and I loath the day I have to leave my DAC at my university accommodation when travelling around.

If you've only ever heard music from the built in audio of your phone or laptop, or have never listened through high quality equipment, I whole-heartedly recommend this product to you.

Orzly® - OnePlus ONE Premium Tempered Glass 0.24mm Protective Screen Protector for the Original Premier Launch Model of SmartPhone called 'ONE' by ONE PLUS (Alias: New 2014 Release Version / First Ever Flagship Model of Smart Phone released by 'ONE PLUS' known as the 'ONE' / etc.)
Offered by G-Hub

5.0 out of 5 stars I'd recommend to any Oneplus owner!, 7 Jan. 2016
This product is exactly what I expected. It fit perfectly - so much so that is looks like it was there from the factory. It comes with a very good kit for thoroughly cleaning your screen and installing the protector. The adhesive used is brilliant in that it will peel up easily if you want to correct your positioning during installation but will stick firmly when completely adhered. It stick is a very attractive way, spreading from the point of initial contact and moving outwards leaving now air bubbles.

After installation I noticed an improvement in colours and sharpness on my phone which did puzzle me as I see no reason for this to happen. I can assure you it's not a mental placebo though. I've had mine on for three months or so now and haven't needed to replace it despite some bad handling and drops. There are only a few scratches where I've been stupid and put my keys in the same pocket as my phone.

Razer BlackWidow 2014 Tournament Edition Essential Mechanical USB Keyboard - Non-Backlight

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliantly made but let down by the software, 7 Jan. 2016
I bought this keyboard as I recently learnt to touch-type and wanted to check out mechanical keyboards as I was told they're a lot nicer to type on. I'm currently a student so I didn't have a lot of money to spend on the keyboard and I was fortunate to pick the tenkeyless, non-backlit, UK version during the Black Friday sales for £50. What a purchase - I absolutely love the feeling of the mechanical boards for when I'm typing. It's so tactile and I know exactly what I've typing and when I've made a mistake.

The layout is very nice for me - it has a full sized enter key, long backspace, long right shift and a shorter left shift. As for the switches I think they're brilliant. The noise they make is beautiful and they feeling they give is so consistent. I decided to put some rubber o-rings underneath them to stop the clacking sound and I think it's a very good improvement, especially on the keys that are more prone to being hit hard (space, backspace and enter). I was previously using a Logitech wireless keyboard with rubber dome keys which were horrible. It was really hard to touch-type when some of the keys required twice as much force as the next.

The build quality is good which I've come to expect from Razer. When I first picked it up I was taken back by the weight. It's very sturdy and doesn't have any flex at all. The caps are solid and have laser etched markings one them meaning they'll never fade with time. There is a small amount of keycap wobble but I think this is a fault of mechanical switches in general rather than this keyboard. They've gone with a matte black plastic finish which I think is beautiful. No fingerprint marks and it retains it's sharp looks. There is a nice green backlit logo on the front and under the caps lock and scroll lock keys that illuminate when the key is active.

The huge negative about this keyboard, that I'm sure you've heard of in the other comments, is the Razer synapse software that is used along side this. It's automatically installed upon plugging the keyboard in (Windows 10) and it really takes away from the experience. The primary fault this this causes is a bug with some of the keys. Occasionally when using the left shift it will appear to stick down even though I can physically see that it isn't by taking the key cap off! It will cause all of your next key pressed to act as shortcuts that can have awful consequences. I manage to solve mine by pressing the right shift down which appears to un-stick the other shift. Another problem I have is occasionally keys will start to be pressing themselves. These are usually the keys that are near the enter key such as ~#;/.#, this is very strange and can also be fixed by pressing the right shift down. I fail to see how Razer even created this problem and they still haven't fixed it despite many users complaining to them on their forums.

If it weren't for the software problems I'd give this 5/5 based on the quality and price. Unfortunately these problems persist so I ultimately hope to replace this keyboard with Corsair's budget option.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Victorinox - Paring Knife 10cm
Victorinox - Paring Knife 10cm
Offered by K Master

5.0 out of 5 stars Strong knife, 27 Jan. 2015
Brilliant knife, it's the sharpest knife I've ever used and it stays sharp as well. I'm currently at university and was previously using a cheap and nasty £1 knife from Wilkinsons. That knife was so poor it struggled to cut my vegetables when I was cooking my food whereas this; it's a pleasure to use.

Wonka Rainbow Nerds 5 Oz (141g)
Wonka Rainbow Nerds 5 Oz (141g)
Offered by Electro World

4.0 out of 5 stars Very tasty!, 8 Dec. 2014
I used to buy these as a child from my local sweet store and fancied trying them again. They're just as nice as I remember them and there's a large amount of them too. They are quite expensive here though so if you can buy them from a shop you'll probably save some money!

Elizabeth Jayne 200 Thread Count Egyptian Cotton Fitted Sheet Aubergine Single Be...
Offered by Textiles Direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality sheet!, 8 Dec. 2014
I bought this alongside the fitted sheet and as far as I can tell, it's been a very good buy. I needed two sets of sheets for my new university accommodation and settled on these primarily because they came with a fitted single sheet and a nice colour.

The quality is that of a much more expensive set. I was expecting some cheap and nasty sheets here but I have actually received a decent product - so good i'll be ordering another set in a different colour! The sheets, duvet cover and pillowcases seem quite easy to iron, though there isn't many creases in the sheets when I wash them anyway. The colour has remained after a few washes and there are no bobbles/lint balls forming which is brilliant. The only thing that I can say which is negative is the buttons always seem to come undone in the night. It's not that they're poorly designed though, I must be kicking them open in the night. The pillowcases stay on through restless nights and the sheets remain on. They do the job perfectly.

Elizabeth Jayne 200 Thread Count 100% Egyptian Combed Cotton Percale Aubergine Double Duvet Set
Offered by Textiles Direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality duvet and pillowcases!, 8 Dec. 2014

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality product, 8 Dec. 2014
Good quality product. I put this on your wrist and pretend that I've been to Ibiza! I feel more accepted among my peers.

Foldable Pop Up Mesh Washing Laundry Basket Bag Bin Hamper Toy Tidy Storage
Foldable Pop Up Mesh Washing Laundry Basket Bag Bin Hamper Toy Tidy Storage
Offered by Fusion Online

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value laundry bin, 30 Sept. 2014
A very good purchase for the price. I ordered this as I was going away to university and needed a clothes bin. It comes folded in a neat package and when taken out of the bag it will stay compact as it has it's own pouch. The reason i only awarded four stars was the fact it does feel quite fragile, I'm very cautious when picking it up even when it's only half full.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7