Profile for Marcos > Reviews

Oblivion [DVD] [2013]
Dvd ~ Tom Cruise
Price: 5.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous visual effects, fantastic soundtrack, 22 July 2014
This review is from: Oblivion [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
Fantastic landscapes. Stunning architecture. Beautiful machine design. Fabulous visual effects.

Yes, I agree. Some parts of plot are derivative. You are able to predict some events. But nevertheless, the movie is enjoyable and memorable. If you liked "Inception", "The Island" and "I Am Legend", you will like this movie with high probability.

Bonus: if you enjoy good soundtrack, M83 created fantastic orchestral soundscape worthy of a good Sci-Fi movie.

Before I Wake
Before I Wake
by Steven Spruill

2.0 out of 5 stars Too dull, not very satisfying, 22 July 2014
This review is from: Before I Wake (Paperback)
Not a very good novel. There is some suspense, there are a few moments that make you anxious to know the result. But other than that - the protagonist (New York ER doctor Amy St. Clair trying to solve a crime) has flat character, too boring to be a real person. Most of other characters are also dull. And actions of our protagonist are irresponsible, erratic and random.

Plus, not too satisfying ending.

BenQ BL2411PT 24-inch Widescreen LCD Monitor (1000:1, 300cd/m2, 5 ms, 1920 x 1200, DVI)
Offered by Kikatek
Price: 249.58

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic alternative for Eizo and NEC, 6 Mar 2014
Are you considering famous NEC EA244WMi or Eizo EV2436W?

This BenQ BL2411PT is a perfect alternative. As of today, I've been working on it for 4 weeks (8-10h/day) and it is great. Amazing color reproduction for this price. As a professional photographer I considered two monitor models mentioned above and I recommend this BenQ screen.

Also, for gamers, refresh rates are quite decent. I recently beat my Pinball FX2 high score on this monitor ;-)
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 22, 2014 11:36 AM BST

Corel PaintShop Pro X5 Ultimate (PC)
Corel PaintShop Pro X5 Ultimate (PC)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great alternative for PhotoShop, 5 Mar 2014
I'm a professional stock photographer. I've worked in this field for 9 years now. My total experience as a digital photographer is 12 years now.

I've always used PaintShop series and it never disappointed me. It may miss some of PhotoShop's features, but it's still powerful enough to be considered a professional's tool.

I'll address two important issues:
1. Is "Ultimate" version worth it? It most certainly is. I was a little sceptic, but now I can't imagine my workflow without Nik Color Efex Pro 3.0 (a plugin that comes free with Ultimate version). It has a lot of fantastic options for vignetting, artificial polarizing filter effect, color changes, cross processed colors, graduated filters and more. Go for it.
2. Is it better compared to Adobe Lightroom? It most certainly is. Lightroom is more of a gallery manager with simple corrections like contrast, saturation etc. Here you can work with selections, masks, layers - serious stuff.

I fully recommend it!

Adata 32GB Class 10 Flash Card
Adata 32GB Class 10 Flash Card
Price: 16.55

2.0 out of 5 stars Write speeds too slow, 27 Dec 2013
Write speed is too slow to record movies with Canon 550D / 600D / 650D. The card is OK, I've never had any stability issues, but if you intend to record HD films, don't choose this one. It's definitely not Class 10.

ADATA 32GB SDHC Class 10; 32768 MB; Secure Digital High-Capacity (SDHC); 20 MB/s; 2 g; 2.7 - 3.6 V; FCC; CE; BSMI; VCCI (ASDH32GCL10-R)

2.0 out of 5 stars Write speeds too slow, 27 Dec 2013

16GB SDHC Class 10 PRO
16GB SDHC Class 10 PRO
Offered by Tick UK
Price: 13.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Good write speeds, 27 Dec 2013
I'm using these cards with Canon 550D and Canon 600D. Good write speeds, I can record Full HD movies without transfer issues. I own 8 of these cards and find them better than Adata or Sandisk.

SanDisk SDSDU-064G-FFP Ultra 64 GB SDXC UHS-I Class 10 Memory Card - Frustration-Free Packaging (Label May Change)
Price: 25.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Too slow, too unstable, 27 Dec 2013
This is quite a disappointment. From a reputable brand I was expecting decent write speeds and stability. Unfortunately the write speeds are inconsistent. In every fifth or tenth movie clip recorded with Canon 600D recording stops suddenly due to insufficient write speed.

Another distaste: after a long trip it turned out that a few images on the card were unreadable. I wasn't expecting this from a brand like Sandisk. Before this Sandisk I was using Adata, Goodram and Kingston memory cards. They all are better.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 24, 2014 9:24 PM GMT

Going Postal [DVD]
Going Postal [DVD]
Dvd ~ David Suchet
Offered by Venture Online
Price: 4.46

4.0 out of 5 stars Big fan of Pratchett books reviews the movie, 9 Feb 2013
This review is from: Going Postal [DVD] (DVD)
I'm a big fan of Terry Pratchett novels. I've read about thirty of them and I love them. "Going Postal" was among my favorites.

The film renders the plot quite faithfully most of the time. Most of the characters are very similar to their novel counterparts. Richard Coyle (whom you may know from TV comedy show "Coupling") does a very good performance as Moist von Lipwig, the new postmaster and Charles Dance (the doctor from "Alien 3") is fantastic as lord Havelock Vetinari.

You haven't read the book? You get a decent comedy with many funny quips and oneliners. There is some fantasy (fantastic creatures like werewolf, banshee and golems) and some magic, but most of the plot revolves around humans and their emotions: love, hate, greed, vengeance. The story is about the Post Office of Ankh Morpork. People have forgotten about Post Office in times of "Clacks" (something like telegraphy). But there are some who want Post Office running again and a lifelong conman Moist von Lipwig is conned into trying to run it.

Of course the movie misses many of the novels subtle humorous details, but is fun enough to watch.

Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 LP CPU Cooler
Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 LP CPU Cooler

2.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and efficient, but really loud, 31 Jan 2013
I purchased this product to use with AMD Phenom X2 550 CPU (AM2) and after 2 days I decided to buy alternative cooling set. Why? Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 LP is efficient and cheap, but unfortunately it is really LOUD. The fans work at high speeds. Unacceptable.

After 2 days I switched to Arctic Cooling Alpine 64 PWM, which was perfect. This one, I recommend.

Page: 1 | 2