Profile for M. Bhangal > Reviews

Content by M. Bhangal
Top Reviewer Ranking: 153

M. Bhangal "S" (Somewhere in Northern England)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Linksys RE6500 Universal Dual Band AC1200 Wi-Fi Range Extender (4 x Gigabit Ethernet, AUX Music Streaming, WPS)

4.0 out of 5 stars Like one of my mates: hard work initially, but nice once you get to know it, 10 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is the third extender I've bought, the others being the TP-Link TL-WA850RE TP-Link TL-WA850RE 300Mbps Universal Wall Plug Range Extender/ Wi-Fi Booster (WPS function, Easy Configuration), and the tiny TP-Link WR702N Nano router TP-Link TL-WR702N Wireless N Nano Router/Range Extender/TV, Gaming, Set-top Adapter with USB Charger. The `850 just did not work (could not get a signal) and the Nano worked but tended to lose connection if you did anything other than load basic webpages (BBC iPlayer would kill it).

The Linksys AC1200 Max is the first one that actually works, and it works well.
The problem was the setup. The manual has a simple 1 page quick start, and it would have been great if that all worked, but it did not.
I connected to the router setup immediately with my Android tablet (noting that the Android wireless signal strength symbol will stay grey rather than turn blue, this means there is a connection to the router, but no connection through to the internet, which I'm guessing has confused some of the other reviewers).

Anyway, the setup could not see my wireless connection. After about 20 minutes of trial and error (including trying to put in my router wireless settings into the extender manually), it turned out to be because my router wireless security was set to WPA-PSK which the extender does not seem to like. Once I went into my router and switched to WPA-PSK+WPA2-PSK, it all worked well, at least it did once I turned the extender off then on.

All fine, but hard work. I had to mess about with my router and do lots of random things to get it all working, none of which could be gleaned from either the supplied manual or the online pdf (NB - the model number is NOT `AC1200', but `RE6500', so you need to search on that to get to the online pdf manual - grr!).

Now that the extender is working, it is working VERY well. Tablets get 80 to 100% signal strength anywhere in the house, when before they used to only get signal at all if on the same floor as the wireless.

All good in the end, but I really had to earn it!

In conclusion, a really good product, but make sure you have someone computer savvy around to set it up!

Fair disclosure: I am a web application developer, having written 20 or so books on web design and web development, so I would put myself towards the higher end of `computer literate'. It took me 30 minutes to set the extender up.

Top LED 2.1Mm To 2.5X0.7Mm Dc Plug Converter Adapter - Takes 2.1Mm Male Dc Jack
Top LED 2.1Mm To 2.5X0.7Mm Dc Plug Converter Adapter - Takes 2.1Mm Male Dc Jack

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for BMPCC, 9 Sep 2014
I bought this to be able to attach an Anker Astro Pro 2 battery Anker® 2nd Gen Astro Pro2 20000mAh Multi-Voltage (5V 9V 12V) 4-Port Portable Power Bank Pack External Battery USB Charger with PowerIQ™ Technology for iPhone 6 5S 5C 5 4S, iPad Air, mini, Galaxy S5 S4 S3, Note 4 3, Galaxy Tab 4 3 2, Pro, Nexus 4 ... to my Black magic pocket camera Blackmagic Pocket Cinema.

Does the job perfectly without having to get the soldering iron out.

Worth noting that the Lanparte cable Lanparte BMPCC DC Power Supply Cable 12V For Blackmagic Pocket Camera DSLR Rig does NOT work with the Anker, because it connects to the Anker IN and not the OUT port!

Level Up!: The Guide to Great Video Game Design
Level Up!: The Guide to Great Video Game Design
by Scott Rogers

5.0 out of 5 stars A standard text on the subject, 4 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This book is derived from a well-received lecture that resulted in the publisher inviting Scott Rogers to write something for them. You can get to the lecture by Googling `Everything I learned about Level Design, I Learned from Disneyland Scott Rogers' and clicking on the first YouTube video result. If that lecture looks interesting to you (noting that the sound gets a lot better 5 minutes in), then this book is definitely for you.

For those not into sitting through a 1 hour video to choose a book, all you really need to know is that this guy did game design for stuff like God if War and Soul Blade/Soul Calibur.

In this book, he goes through the entire game design process (that is, everything other than the coding and graphic design). So we are talking about story, character and controls, game UI, level design, combat and balancing, cut scenes, and all the other things that need to be designed before a game stops being an extended graphical demo and becomes something playable and compelling.

The trouble is that most people thinking about writing a Mobile or Desktop game tend to think about the other stuff first: coding and graphic design. If you want to make a successful game though, you probably need to look at Level Up, because it talks about all the things that will help give your code and graphics the illusive thing we call 'good gameplay'.

The book itself is an entertaining read, with lots of common sense and logical, down-to-earth advice. In fact, Level Up is so good that I'm pretty sure it will become a standard text on game design. Can't say better than that!

The Warren Buffett Way: + Website
The Warren Buffett Way: + Website
by Robert G. Hagstrom

5.0 out of 5 stars I'd rather be vaguely right than precisely wrong, 27 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Let's cut to the chase. The reason Buffett is such a successful investor is that he treats investing in a company the same as buying the same company outright. Rather than looking at a company as an accountant or bookie, he looks at it as a prospective buyer and asks far simply (but ultimately deeper) questions. That is essentially his strategy in a nutshell.

For example, if you are thinking about buying shares in Ford, you should treat it the same as buying Ford outright (if you had the money), or at least the same as buying one of their cars. If there are better cars available, you should be looking at the other car manufacturers to invest in. What if you don't know much about cars? Don't invest in cars: choose something else you know about!

Further, Buffet has a habit of saying very simple things that tend to cut through previously complex discussions.

For example, there are two main types of investor: growth or value. Growth investors look for fast growing companies, and value investors look for sound companies that will last in the long term (but are perhaps currently out of favour and therefore undervalued). Buffet believes 'growth is simply the calculation to determine value'. The discussion then becomes a non-argument: other things being equal, growth and value are the same thing!

Another common complex financial term is risk. For most personal investors, risk is generally tied to share price: beta, limit orders, stop-loss and target prices, etc. By assigning a value or value-range to risk, we hope to minimise it (or at least, control average risk for a given portfolio by balancing it with risk values - such as beta - in mind). Buffett takes a much simpler route: risk is simply everything you don't know but should. If you use indices or ratios to quantify risk you are more likely to panic sell too cheap or buy high just because the indices turn suddenly (or are even being manipulated to fool the unwary - as any AIM investor knows only too well!). If you instead do your research and only buy shares in areas you understand and for companies whose background and prospects you have well researched, then fluctuations do not concern you. Instead, you look at whether anything material has changed, and if it has not, you don't worry about artificial indices such as risk.

The book is full of lots of down to earth advice such as the examples above. Like most down-to-earth advice though, you will forget it all unless you have something in mind to apply it to. My advice to get the most of this book is to have one or more companies in mind when you read the book, and apply the advice to them. I actually applied it to two companies: the next one I am considering investing in, and the one I work for.

For the one I work for, I joined when it was a start-up, and assumed it has now matured into a `normal company'. It hasn't: from my Buffett-guided research, I now realise it was sold at a high price that factored in the growth rate it had maintained as a start-up. From my previous perspective, I thought it was still growing (we have doubled in size every 18 months), but I now realise it has doubled in staffing levels only: I now know what the real picture is, but I needed this book to show me where to look for the real growth.

The only downside to the book is that it panders a little too much to the cult of personality. For me, there is a little too much about Buffett as a person in the early third of the book (especially the forward and introduction, which can only be described as schmaltzy!). Another possible criticism would be that it can be vague, but to coin a phrase (by someone far cleverer than me, and possibly Buffett), `I'd rather be vaguely right than precisely wrong'. Plus, if you follow my advice and have a couple of companies in mind as you read the book, it all becomes a lot more specific (I'd strongly advise you to include the company you work for, you may well come away with the same eureka moments I did!).

It also goes without saying that this book is all about a style of investing, and not investing itself. In particular, you should be able to understand company accounts to get the most out of investing. If you do not, then I strongly recommend you search `FT Guides' and buy at least one of them before you put your savings on the line!

Overall, recommended.

1234-Buy 70
1234-Buy 70

5.0 out of 5 stars Bargain for small cameras and cheap if you can bear the plastic head for larger cameras, 9 July 2014
This review is from: 1234-Buy 70 (Electronics)
Costs less than a fiver and the monopod leg sections are very sturdy, so has to be top marks for that alone.

The head however is a different matter and where the saving is being made - its plastic, which limits what you can put on it without feeling a little squeamish.

Its ok for my small Panasonic LX7 and Olympus Stylus 1 (both advanced compacts), and actually seems to be fine for my Micro 4/3rds and Sony Alpha A77 APS-C (the latter of which is a large heavy camera with a full magnesium body, and with many of my lenses, as heavy as a 5D) as it looks like the head can take it... but I really worry about a hairline crack on that plastic costing me dear!

The worst thing is that you can't even replace the plastic head for a better metal one: the plastic is molded on and there is no screw thread for a replacement. If they'd sacked the plastic head off completely and just put a screw thread on it I could have turned this into an absolute bargain video tripod by putting one of my pro fluid heads on it, as that was my original plan. Ho-hum.

In the end I decided to go totally the other way and stop being a cheapskate, and have gone for this much more expensive monopod: Benro Video Monopod with Twist Lock Legs, S2 Head and 3 Leg Base (Black)

The Benro might be x20 the price, but the leg section on it is not 20 times better (more like twice as good), but is actually x3 the weight, so the cheapo monopod still gets used with my Advanced compacts for long walks.

So, fine for small cameras, and probably fine for most enthusiasts on occasional use, but that plastic head is really off-putting if you have an expensive lens hanging from it, irrespective of weight!

BRAND NEW ULTRASONIC PORTABLE MOSQUITO REPELLENT/ REPELLER - USE IN INDOOR AND OUTDOOR - HOME,TRAVELING,CAMPING- PORTABLE AND FREE STANDING DEVICE - EFFECTIVE UP TO 15FT - 3 FREQUENCY SETTING - REQUIRED 3 AA BATTERIES (NOT INCLUDED)

1.0 out of 5 stars The science or usability just isn't there on this, 9 July 2014
I assumed this would emit a signal that is too high for adults to hear, so it would do the double job of keeping the mossies and next door's noisy kids at bay, but unfortunately its not that high pitched: I can hear it as well!

Anyway, on that bombshell I decided to Google up on how effective sound is for getting rid of mosquitoes (to gauge how much of this blasted noise I should put up with). The results are not good... Google 'Ultrasound mosquito repellents: Zapping the myth' for a BBC news article on it.

That article appears to reduce this device to ornamental status only, so 1 star. I'm afraid I'm going to have to buy some sort of chemical instead, preferably one I can spray on the next door's kids as well.

On the plus side, I now know the plural of mosquito is mosquitoes and not mosquitos and have the wonders of web autocomplete to console me!

Smashing WordPress: Beyond the Blog (Smashing Magazine Book Series)
Smashing WordPress: Beyond the Blog (Smashing Magazine Book Series)
by Thord Daniel Hedengren

5.0 out of 5 stars Has pretty much everything, 9 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This book has pretty much everything you need if you are an existing WordPress blogger who has

- sufficient traffic to move away from the free site and towards a self-hosted blog you have more control of ( which, in particular, gives you the ability to make money from advertising revenue), or
- a new blogger who wants fine control of the look-and-feel of the blog (possibly because it needs to tie in with an existing website), or
- a corporate user, looking to make a company site using WordPress

This book caters for all these users. It is well written and up to date. You can tell how up to date a WordPress book is by flicking through it and see if it has screenshots of this year’s default theme (it’s called ‘twenty fourteen’), and I can confirm that this book does have it.

For what its worth, I’m the first reader type in that list. My blog is currently a free WordPress site called howgreenisyourgarden (no spaces, Google is your friend), and it’s starting to get enough traffic for me to consider moving to a self-hosted site for my next blog, and I feel this book provides all the information I need to do that.

The only slight issue you may have is that the book assumes a little knowledge of PHP and mySQL. You don’t need much, just enough to get by (i.e. the ‘you know what you don’t know enough to be able to Google the answer and implement it with online guidance’ stage). Other than that, this book has everything you need: WordPress as a blogging platform or site CMS, plus the usual stuff about themes and plugins, etc.

One chapter I particularly liked was the section on turning a WordPress site into something that allows you to do limited e-commerce. WordPress can be used for this if you don’t have that many things to sell (i.e, there are better systems if you have a large catalogue), but if you are, say, a band or self-publishing author, this is the sort of thing that may make this book worth its weight in gold for you!

Griffin Compact Dual USB Car Charger for Mobiles, MP3 and Others, 1 Amp
Griffin Compact Dual USB Car Charger for Mobiles, MP3 and Others, 1 Amp

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good, but make sure you buy an original, 29 Jun 2014
Perfect, but just be aware that only Amazon will send you the branded version. The branded version comes in a six inch by six inch by half an inch box.

If you buy from sellers offering you this for a fraction of the Amazon price, then you can safely disregard this review, as what you get is totally up to the honesty of your seller. The cheaper the price over the amazon price, the less satisfaction you can expect. Important to bear in mind that the cigarette lighter circuit in your car is capable of providing a good few amps, and you really don't want to put a shoddy no-name plug into it!

I use mine as a replacement for the moulded-on connector that comes with tom-tom, as buying the Griffin plus a separate USB cable works out cheaper than a replacement tom-tom cable (as well as allowing me to charge my phone on the way to work every day).

Overall, the Griffin looks sturdy and built to last. It sits tight enough inside the cigarette charger slot that it doesn't pop out when I unplug a USB cable, doesn't rattle aroudn when driving, and it looks good enough to stay fitted. It actually fits in well with the dashboard and makes my car look more up-to-date than it actually is. Result!

Delamax Soft Leather Hand Strap for All SLR and DSLR Cameras
Delamax Soft Leather Hand Strap for All SLR and DSLR Cameras

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for the DSLR video shooter, 29 Jun 2014
I have a branded handstrap (Sony Alpha), and the Delamax is just as usable, has the same build quality and uses the same materials, but costs a fraction of the price. I guess the same applies to CaNikon and other brands.

I prefer handstraps to neckstraps because they are better when shooting hand held video (one reason why camcorders come with handstraps), and although a handstrap is less utilitarian than a neckstrap for carrying your DSLR around, the handstrap leads to a far more stable camera when you take a shot. A handstrap is also more useful than a neck strap if you use a monopod.

So, in conclusion, if you are not a 'labels' photographer and will be shooting video or using a monopod a lot, its a no-brainer: this strap is perfect. Cheap and just as good as the more expensive options.

Ultrasport Boxing Gear-Series Boxing Set incl. Vinyl Punching Bag 27.5 x 12 ins (70 x 30 cm) filled, 8 oz Boxing Gloves and Jump Rope

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely a contender, 29 Jun 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My partner is recovering from cancer treatment, and wanted a punch-bag to (a) get fit again and (b) get some aggression out. This punch bag fits the bill perfectly. You do need a wall bracket or frame to hang it off (you don’t get either), and some basic sparring mitts (which you will probably be wanting to replace soon if you use the bag regularly). She does yoga, running and boxercise.

Physically, the bag is thick vinyl and has a dense cloth filling that is fairly heavy and makes the bag useable for an adult (the previous punch bags we have tried have been pretty insubstantial by comparison and have fallen apart, probably because they are aimed at occasional use or for a teenager). The bag has a 27cm diameter and is over a metre tall. It looks like it will last a long time. Oh, and the fact that you get free delivery is also a selling point as the bag is fairly heavy.

Finally, for anyone looking to get fit, its worth noting that although boxing is out of favour as a keep-fit sport, don’t discount boxercise: you don’t hit anyone but you do get to take out a lot of aggression Punch bag training is very good for your upper body – far better than weights because you have to twist and flex *all* the muscles if you are hitting a punch bag properly, rather than the couple of muscles weights concentrates on.

As I mentioned above, the bag seems like it is built to last. I’ll update this review if anything untoward happens with it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20