Profile for M. Bhangal > Reviews

Content by M. Bhangal
Top Reviewer Ranking: 144

M. Bhangal "S" (Somewhere in Northern England)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
XCSOURCE 5x 1/4" 3/8" Tripod Mount Screw Convert Adapter Flash Light Stand Spigot LF600
Offered by XCSOURCE

5.0 out of 5 stars Saves having to buy lightstands, 2 May 2015
If you have some LED lights (such as the Aputure Amarans) or ice lights, then as a photographer you would normally have a tripod or two, but will soon realise you need light stands for your LEDs. Well, with these adapters, no more! You can use these adapters to attach your lighting to an old tripod. ##Yes, they are not the top range quality, but there's two things going for them: you get five of them, and LED lighting weighs nothing so you don't need Manfroto solid brass ones (at 6 quid just for one!).

I have three LED lights (A Travor ice light for my rim light and a pair of Aputure AL-528S for my main and side lights), so have all the adapters I need for about a fiver all in... plus two extra for when I lose them. Plus I save the three figure sum I would need for three sturdy light stands (I could of course get the cheap twenty quid ones, but those are more 'slight stands' than 'light stands', and a false economy even for me!).

Bargain!

Dell P2715Q 27-Inch Ultra HD 4K LCD Monitor (2M:1, 350 cd/m2, 3840 x 2160, 9ms, DP/Mini DP/HDMI, MHL/USB) - Black
Offered by NG Solutions

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent monitor for photo/video work, decent for games., 1 May 2015
I do a fair bit of photography and video, and my old pair of 24 inch 1080p monitors were looking decidedly old school when you can now have a single 4k monitor, giving you the same resolution as 4 1080p screens stacked 2 by 2.

I was initially undecided between the 24 inch and 27 inch version, but plumbed for the 27 inch after realising how small text can be on a 24 inch 4k screen for applications that don't respect your operating system's font sizes (I'm looking at you, Adobe Photoshop and Premiere, 2015 and you still can't accurately reflect the operating system font sizing!).

This screen is amazing for the price. Sharp as anything, no dead pixels, and looks good out of the box, although it will still need calibration for colour work: I calibrate mine with a Spyder 4 Elite, which showed that the monitor comes with a yellow cast by default (probably to make the screen look more consumer friendly - warmer - for the showroom!).

The best things about this screen are the wide viewing angle of the IPS panel, the 60Hz refresh, and good coverage of the sRGB color gamut, all making it good for my chosen use cases. The screen is also surprisingly bright, and has both good contrast and is bright enough to seen in most situations. Color shift is minimal, and is near zero for all but the last 10 degrees either side of the full viewing angle.

Reasonably stylish in the usual Dell fashion (not as flash as some of the Samsung and Apple monitors, but certainly not ugly). I have a PC (windows 8) and simply used the supplied DisplayPort to mDisplayPort cable, plugging it straight into my NVidia GTX770's display port and on to the monitor's mDisplayPort. Although this cable is specified for Mac users, It does work at 60Hz for PC users. The screen has a very nice matt finish. It doesn't look so sexy when it is off, but when the screen is on, there is no reflections or bounce, so the coating gets top marks from me: its made to work not look like an over-shiny desk ornament! The stand is really good. Sturdy enough, and allows you to swivel 90 degrees so you can quickly do landscape-portrait (even if you don't want to do that, moving to portrait is something you will do often if the monitor is backed up against a wall, because portrait allows you to access the USB ports behind the screen). The screen swivels up, down and can rotate left right, and move up-down by all the right amounts: I don't think I will be looking for a replacement stand because the supplied one is immaculate and totally practical. Oh, it also has a hole in it for cables, so tidy as well as practical! Finally, on looks, the power goes straight into the back of the monitor: no power brick to have to hide, and the monitor never gets above 'slightly warm': all very nice and hint at reliability - hot things tend to go pop quickly.

The monitor has its own USB3 pass-through, giving you 3 additional USB3 posts enough for a keyboard, mouse and colorimeter (the last of which, with something like a Spyder 4 permanently connected practically gives you a neat all-in self-calibrating monitor for non-pro prices), or a high end general use monitor with a decent USB HUB thrown in.

Bad points:

This is not a pro model out the box, so the backlight is not quite as uniform as it should be by default. I can see a small dark patch to the left third of my panel, but I only see it if I display a 100% white background, and then only if I look very carefully. However, this is out-of-box: if you go into the menu and select Menu > Display > Uniformity Compensation > Calibrated and uncheck 'Off', you get a much more uniformly lit white display. In normal use, the lack of uniformity it is not noticeable once set to Calibrated, so no need to spend double the amount on a pro screen!

Colour calibration is a slightly different matter as the menu is dumbed down for precise professional adjustment (you don't get access to colour temperature - you just get basic RGB sliders or colour 'styles' such as 'standard', 'multimedia', 'warm'. 'cool', etc ) . If colour accuracy is your thing then you will need a screen calibration tool. Although these are expensive new, the bay is your friend for cheap and cheerful, and they are affordable second hand. I recommend DataColor.

The monitor has a slow 9ms refresh rate. Thats fine for creative work (Photoshop/Lightroom and Premiere/DaVinci Resolve, and even 3D authoring), but may be an issue for gamers. Its not an issue for me, and I have been happily playing ARMA3 for a few hours now, loving the additional detail 4k gives me! You can go into the menu and select Menu > Display > Response Time and set it to 'Fast' to make things better than out-of-box.

Not much to dislike so far then, as both these issues seem to have workarounds.

The only real issue with 4k I have found is that some applications do not respect OS font size (I have mine set to 150%, which gives me very nice sharp and legible type). The main culprits are, surprisingly, not games, but high end applications that should otherwise make good use of a 4k panel. Adobe is awful for this failing (although they don't like to admit it, many of their UIs are done in Flash for old versions of the software, and HTML5 for current - I know this for a fact because I have written custom Adobe panels for application extensions). Lightroom is fine for scaling up to 4k (and photo-editing at 4k is a workflow dream - you get to edit 24MP images at half size when you are at per-pixel size, so you can finally see what you are doing in relation to the overall photo). Photoshop is atrocious: changing font size in Photoshop preferences does exactly nothing.

The other issue is that you need a beefy graphics card for some games. I can Play Battlefield 4 at 1080p with everything on 'ultra' on my old monitors, but at 4k I have to reduce a few settings. I actually prefer to stay at ultra and drop the resolution a bit down from 4k (the P2715Q screen scales very well for non-native resolutions).

To be honest though, twitch shooters don't benefit from 4k as the frame rates are too fast to notice. I get much more mileage playing at 4k with ARMA3 or the high end strategy games (Rome, Wargame, etc), where the additional resolution actually helps with picking out small objects onscreen, and the 0-20% reduction in max frame rate is a don't care'. So, although everyone tells you that you will need to update your two year old graphics card for 4k, its not been the case for me. I can happily use my GTX770 with this monitor without upgrading or going dual-GPU. With that card, all my games benefit from the 4k screen (including GPU limited ones like BF4) because all of them allow me to move up from 1080p resolutions. The only slight issue I have found is that some older games don't expect 4k resolutions (and weird things happen, like the mouse pointer stops moving at high resolutions, or some parts of the UI don't scale as much as others... this is all very rare though).

These issues are not limited to this monitor, but moving to 4k in general, so no marks off the Dell for them (but worth bearing in mind).

The only real issue for gamers is price over a TN panel. I expect 4k IPS panels are still at early adopter prices and will come down significantly as they get mainstream (as is happening now for 4k TN panels), so holding off for 6 months may get you a much better deal. Having seen the advantages of a 4k IPS panel over a dual 1080p workstation, I am glad I'm not one of the ones holding off until prices drop: its a no-brainer for productivity.

Your only real competition to the Dell P2715Q is a 32 inch 4k IPS panel, but the depreciation on one of those will be even steeper, so I'd recommend the 27 inch for now... although with this quality, its hardly a compromise! Do yourself a favour and get a 27 inch now, and update to two once prices drop. Best of all worlds!

I'll update this review if I ever get any hardware or reliability issues, but so far very pleased with my purchase: I will not be going back to 1080p!

Panasonic Eneloop CC16 - 2 Hour Battery Charger & 4 Eneloop AA Batteries - UK Model
Offered by iCell Media

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 1 May 2015
I have loads of eneloop batteries (over 50!), used to charge my 4 camera Flashes and some video LED lighting. I previously had a charger that took 9 hours to change a set of batteries, not realising it was a 'dumb' charger in that it doesn't check the actual charge in the batteries.

The charger you get in this pack does check the charge, so won't overcharge your batteries, extending battery life whilst at the same time significantly reducing charge time down to 2 hours or less, depending on how charged the batteries are to start with. Important when you need to rush out with a camera and Flash, and just want the batteries to be full: if they actually are nearly full my wait is now minutes rather than 9 hours every time!

Special mention to seller iCell, who immediately sent me a second item without quibble after the first one didn't turn up.

Excellent product, excellent seller service. Can't ask for more!

Panasonic ALL8 Wireless Speaker System (White)
Panasonic ALL8 Wireless Speaker System (White)

3.0 out of 5 stars One for first adopters, 28 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The device itself looks really nice. I have the white one, and it looks like modern furniture rather than audio electronics: no obvious push buttons or dials, and sleek lines. It's also surprisingly heavy (it weighs like a subwoofer if you pick it up: i.e. quite dense and heavy) and a bit bigger than I expected: this is not a cheap Bluetooth speaker! Its higher quality than that, requiring WiFi, which allows it to stream higher quality audio. It also has a wired internet connection, or if you just want direct wired audio, a 3.5 inch jack.

Sound-wise, it's powerful without being boy-racer style bass heavy, but doesn't get as loud as 80W RMS would suggest, and has limited sound options for the technophile (because it has no buttons, there is no way to change bass nor treble outside your streaming software). Is the sound worth the asking price? I'm undecided on that one at the moment, as I'm sure I could get a better sounding dedicated hiFi for the asking price, but perhaps that is not really the point. This is a lifestyle item for the connected living room, not an ugly slab of audio kit (bonus - the All8 looks good next to my Phillips Hue).

Connection to your WiFi is painless, but make sure you update the All8 firmware as soon as you get it (this sorts out all sorts of pain if you have an early revision as of this writing). Firmware update is equally painless, just press a couple of buttons and wait a few minutes, then restart.

You need an always on WiFi and preferably single channel (dual channel WiFi seems to cause it to drop-out, if you have a two channel WiFi, turn one frequency off), and Spotify only works if you have a premium account (there are other options, although not many for the UK). Oh, and the Panasonic streaming app needs work: crashes a fair few times, and a bit slow to react to keypresses.
Downsides?

Firstly, you cannot choose your streaming application if it is not on the list of compatible apps. You can't choose iTunes or Windows Media player for example (at least, I haven't managed it). If you have a media server, lack of third party streaming services is not a problem though, as you can use your own server.

Secondly, the AL8 sounds nice, but doesn't really live up to its specification. It's fine for background sound, but if you really want to rock out, it just doesn't sound as loud as it should. I have a feeling that some of that 80W RMS is being channeled into some sort of baffle system to get deep bass at the expense of volume.

Thirdly, it seems a bit... well... `Hipsterish' if I am being unkind, or `ahead of its time but not quite there yet' if I am being diplomatic. I think the Qualcomm Allplay system (which the ALL8 is part of) has the potential for the highest quality streaming audio, and is more stylish than the typical dedicated HiFi, but the software and streaming services are a bit behind the hardware.

Conclusion

One for first adopters at the moment: it looks nice and (kind of) works well in a stylish `this is a room talking point' way, but there are perhaps better options if you are after the best sound for the money and don't mind bleeding edge aesthetics.

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 6 (PC/Mac)
Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 6 (PC/Mac)

5.0 out of 5 stars A return to form, 26 April 2015
Since LR3, Lightroom has been getting slower. It has begun to really lag when compared to DxO and other competitors. The main emphasis of LR6 has been to use your graphics card to speed things up, and it certainly does this: moving sliders and drawing brush strokes is now a lot faster. Zooming in and out has less of a performance change but to be fair, it's the sliders and adjustment brushes that you spend most of your time on so the change is very welcome. Most importantly the change makes LR6 work much better on a laptop with a decent graphics (i.e. anything except integrated) card on it.

The other big thing (well, apart from Lightroom mobile, which I won't discuss as I never use it) is High Dynamic Range or HDR. This is all about taking the same shot at (typically) 3 different exposures (varying shutter and keeping aperture and ISO constant) via a bracket, and merging them in post to create a single image that has highlights and shadows that would be clipped if you took a single shot.

HDR in LR doesn't have some of the controls in Photoshop, Photomatix nor HDR Efex Pro (tone mapping controls, micro contrast, etc), but what it does do is perhaps even better: it merges your shots into a single raw image file with an extended exposure and highlight/shadow/whites/blacks range. So if you do a HDR merge on three raw images, it creates a new raw (of approximately three times the filesize), but if you now vary the exposure and tonal controls (sliders and tone curve), it allows you *many* more stops of latitude. How cool is that! If you are a landscape photographer, It's like having a camera with a dynamic range that will not be seen for years, Better still, LR6 does not create the out-of-fashion type of HDR (cartoony colours and overdone texturing), but creates something more useful: bigger dynamic range, with all the usual LR controls to make full use of it.

File edits on a HDR image remains non-destructive, unlike other HDR applications where the HDR comes out as a .tif or other `baked-in' file that you cannot re-edit later. This may be a small feature, but it will have a big impact on HDR use, especially for the landscape photographer who needs images to stay realistic, but doesn't want blown out skies or clipped shadows.

There is also a panorama stitch function. Again, I'm not a fan of panoramas (I prefer to take video rather than panoramas), so I don't have much to say about them because I don't use them. Similarly for face detection (I don't want metadata telling everyone who is in the photo, because that will become searchable if I put the image on the web, and fb is bad enough for that as it is without us adding even more personal data to our likenesses!¬).

Finally, there's some of the usual hidden little features. My favourite is support for large resolution screens. If you go Edit > Catalog Settings > File Handling Tab > Standard Preview Size and set it to Auto, LR will limit the preview sizes to the size of your screen. Nice if you change your screen from HD to 4k, because LR will automatically detect the hardware change, and resize the previews to the new resolution!

Oh, and the graphics card usage never goes above 20%-30% on my NVidia GTX770, so I doubt you even need a fast graphics card to see speed improvements. Should be good for older laptops with a 5 or 6 series NVidia card or equivalent.

Bad points?

Editing makes use of the graphics card, but image export does not, so that and thumbnail generation still takes as long as it ever did.

There is no new process, so although your image editing will be nippier, the images will still look like LR5. That is not necessarily a bad thing though!

The downside of the new HDR feature is that leaving your HDR image editable is that it gets slow if you use a large bracket. I typically shoot HDR with a 24MP, 5 shot bracket which creates a 167MB raw file on the hard drive. That is a lot of data for LR to go through and it shows! If I try to make an adjustment selection on that file, the screen update can be over a second behind, and that is on a fast 12 core i7. I'd advise sticking to 3 shot brackets if you want to do HDR in LR!

The UI is unchanged (but why break a good thing?).

Too much emphasis on mobile. There's a little bit of text on the UI that keeps telling me I have 30 days left of Lightroom mobile trial. I will never use it, please make it go away faster than the 30 days, not interested: I'm a photographer not a selfie junkie!

There don't seem to be many optimisations if you do not have a compatible graphics card, so if LR decides your graphics card is not up to it (you can check via Edit > Preferences > Performance: if `Use Graphics processor' is available and checked, you are using the graphics card), you might well be better off with LR5 if HDR is not your thing.

Finally, not a bad point, more a niggle: LR 6 standalone is available on Adobe for slightly more, and you have to wade through all the rubbish trying to entice you to buy Creative Cloud. If you decide to buy direct from Adobe (heaven knows why you would!), make sure you get the standalone, unless of course you want to risk Creative Cloud.

So to conclude:

A needed update. HDR is a nice new feature, but the killer feature is usability - LR6 will be faster for most users. All we need now is noise reduction that is as good as the one in DxO!

[Update]: I have uploaded an example of a simple sea shot, one (top) done with traditional HDR, and the other (bottom) shows the same bracket processed as HDR in LR6. The top one looks more processed and obviously HDR, whereas the LR6 output looks a lot more natural (it looks more like traditional methods i.e. using NR grads... because that's exactly what I did to bring the sky back: I added an LR graduated filter to the sky to bring its exposure down). Most importantly, it maintains correct colour.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Philips HP3631 300w InfraCare Lamp
Philips HP3631 300w InfraCare Lamp

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says., 11 April 2015
Length:: 1:00 Mins

Ok, so the big question is `what is the difference between this and an electric heater? The InfraCare fires out longer (infra-red) wavelengths that penetrates deeper, and therefore soothes your muscles. You don't get the burning-skin feeling you do with an electric radiator, but a deeper warmth.

Physically, it looks like a small electric heater, except that it has an infra-red filter at the front, it has a timer, and you hear a small fan at the back when you turn it on. It seems sturdy enough for what it is, perhaps a little plasticky, but nothing to complain about.

My partner has already used it to sooth a stiff neck and reports that it works well, so it does what it says on the tin.

Un-boxing video included so you can get a feeling for size and look and feel.

Overall recommended.

Philips SatinPerfect Deluxe HP6581/03 Wet and Dry Epilator, with Skin Tautening Attachment, Shaver Head and Precision Epilator

5.0 out of 5 stars A keeper, 9 April 2015
Length:: 1:38 Mins

My partner bought an epilator much like this one several years ago. She binned it and switched to wax sheets because the sheets were faster and less painful. This epilator is a keeper: faster and less painful than the older one, and takes just as long as wax sheets (about 10 minutes for a leg) but less messy. I'm told by my partner some pain is still there but the Philips is a vast improvement.

The obligatory un-boxing video is attached to this review. The product looks robust, feels good in the hand and comes in a present sized gift box. The man epilator uses an internal rechargeable battery, and the smaller one uses 2xAA batteries (included). Overall, looks like a decent product, and it works well.

Neewer 58mm 0.45x Wide Angle Lens for Canon Rebel/EOS
Neewer 58mm 0.45x Wide Angle Lens for Canon Rebel/EOS
Offered by iTekLife Global

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for high crop factor cameras such as BlackMagic, 30 Mar. 2015
I have a Black magic Pocket camera with a super16 sized sensor, which in real money means a massive x3 crop factor on full frame (ff). The widest video lens I have is the SLR Magic 12mm cine lens at 36mm ff equivalent, which is a pretty good standard lens for super16 video, but no longer wide. With this adapter (which is the right diameter for the SLR magic 12mm), I now have 12mm x0.45 = 5.4mm, which is about 16mm FF equivalent, or 'very wide'.

A c-mount or super-wide micro 43rds lens that goes anywhere near 5.5mm is very expensive (about x50 the price of the adapter), so this has to be a bargain. Better still, the x3 crop works in my favour for aberration: the blurry edges that this adapter gives on APS-C is cut out significantly because of the x3 crop, leaving only a bit of spherical distortion.

Because this is a wide angle adapter (i.e. it collects more light to the lens, which offsets the extra glass), the light loss is minimal: I'd say less than 1/3rd of a stop. the filter size is 62mm (although I use 77mm filters with a step up ring - I recommended you also use an oversized filter for wide angle otherwise you may get vignette)
Only slight issue is that you have to reverse the 'macro' lens (unscrew it, turn it around, then screw it back in) to get the adapter to fit into the SLR magic 12mm, which makes the etched focusing scale on the SLR magic out, but that's not really an issue as you can still focus to infinity.

Conclusion
Although this type of adapter is generally not that good for APS-C, I would thoroughly recommend it for the Black magic cameras (and m43 camera in etc mode). It saves you a ton of money over buying a super-wide, and because of the high crop, you have far less distortion issues than APS-C and (god forbid!) full frame.

LAPTOP COOLER STAND 2 LARGE FANS TILT FOR 15 17" INCH LAPTOP COOLING PAD L136
LAPTOP COOLER STAND 2 LARGE FANS TILT FOR 15 17" INCH LAPTOP COOLING PAD L136
Offered by ChanceryChairCover

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap quick solution, 26 Mar. 2015
I have an older i7 Sony Vaio 17" laptop that has begun overheating. I use it for work and needed something to tide me over until the work order system got me a new laptop. This cooler fits the bill nicely.

It definitely cools the laptop, so does it primary purpose well. You can hear the cooler fans, but this is offset by the reduction in noise of the Vaio's internal fan.

In terms of build, the cooler is a little plasticky and big, making it less than portable (i.e. it won't fit easily in your laptop bag), and it doesn't rest easily on your lap, but if you just want something cost effective that will permanently stay on your desk, this cooler is ideal.

Kärcher SC4 Continuous Steam Cleaner, 3.5 Bar
Kärcher SC4 Continuous Steam Cleaner, 3.5 Bar

5.0 out of 5 stars Faster than doing it manually, really gets into the corners, 25 Mar. 2015
Length:: 2:47 Mins

The video really says it all (go straight to 1.26 if you just want to see the steam cleaner in action), but here's a few additional points:

The device itself is rather small, but once all the attachments are added, it is a fair bit bigger, so have a cupboard/garage handy to store it away.

The water reservoir is rather small and you have to refill it after about 4-5 minutes continuous use. Not a problem if you are in the house, but if you are outside, take a bucket of water with you!

For my first test (as videoed), I did not clean the cooker top for a month as a trial for the Karcher.

The attachment I used (small detail brush) got clogged up with grease after a few minutes, and I had to clean that off with washing up liquid. Shows that the thing was shifting some serious grease, but if you don't clean grease build up off the brush, you end up just spreading the grease about!

Although there was a month's worth of burnt in food/dirt that was cleaned off very quickly, there was also some long term grease under the gas burners that has never been cleaned (and been there for over 10 years - since we got the house). The steam cleaner loosened some of this off, but by no means all. I guess it will take a few more cleans before it comes off. Worth noting that I used absolutely no detergent or pre-soak, so it was all water from the steam cleaner.

There was some long term grease in the cooker knobs that we could never have got off with a cloth because it is right in a corner, but the steam cleaner excels at this sort of thing, and blew it off straight away, as seen in the video.
The steam played havoc with my camera, so I could not film all I would have liked (the lens kept getting fogged up with the steam!).

The steam comes out at a maximum of 3 bar, which is quite fast (about as fast as a fire extinguisher with the smallest attachment that I use in the video). So this is NOT something you want to be accessible to small children... I'd be tempted to store it in the garage to prevent inquisitive fingers. I didn't think to use gloves on my first attempt, but if you need to hold things whilst cleaning them, get a pair of vileda gloves.

The steamer is easy to set up and put away. Only thing is that because the steam is under pressure, I fired the nozzle with the unit powered off to make sure all the pressure was gone before I packed it up. This took 2 minutes. Not bad, but bear in mind the entire wash itself took 5 minutes. I think you can do the same simply by unscrewing a lid on the heater unit, but I intentionally only read the quick instructions for the demo (as that's as far as most people read!), so didn't know.

The end result really was after 5 minutes, and my first attempt. Quite pleased, although the downside was the fact that the 10 year old grease was not totally shifted... I'll add something later once it has all come off to say how many cleans it took.

And, yes, my better half is less than happy I have filmed her cooker in such a state for all to see on Amazon, and would like to point out that most of it is me making curries as I was left alone for a few weekends. She says I'm going on the couch for it if it doesn't do the curtains.

Bah, that's the Saturday lie-in gone!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20