Profile for Nancynoo > Reviews

The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared
by Jonas Jonasson
Price: 6.29

2.0 out of 5 stars I tried...., 6 July 2013
I generally don't like to give up on a book, but I got a third of the way through and found myself having to force myself to read it and was not enjoying it - therefore I have given up. I have too many other good books waiting to be read. The story of Allen's escape and what happened after was readable and faintly amusing in parts, but I found the story of his past just monotonous and when it was about China and Mao Tse Tung, it was just plain boring. I would like to have found out what happened to Allen in the end, but not prepared to wade through the dull and boring bits.

A LIFETIME BURNING
A LIFETIME BURNING
Price: 1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read, 23 Oct 2012
It is difficult to say too much without giving aspects of the story away, but this is essentially a story about 'family' and their relationships with each other - some of them extremely controversial. The characters have such depth, that I was drawn in to the family - although not particulalry liking some of the characters. Beautifully written, with insight and empathy. I did find the switching from different time periods difficult to follow at times, but it brought all the threads of the story together, gradually drawing the reader closer in.
I loved this book. Linda Gillard is a talented author and I have enjoyed all of her books.

Not Dead Yet (Roy Grace 8)
Not Dead Yet (Roy Grace 8)
Price: 3.59

5.0 out of 5 stars PJ as good as ever, 8 July 2012
As usual with Peter James's books, I couldn't put this one down - especially towards the end. Clever twists and turns and I love the fact that Sandy is making more of an appearance. Can't wait to find out what happens there. I have read all of the Roy Grace series, and the quality of writing has never waned, in my opinion.

In the Blood: A Genealogical Crime Mystery #1 (Jefferson Tayte)
In the Blood: A Genealogical Crime Mystery #1 (Jefferson Tayte)

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read, 5 Oct 2011
I loved this book and wish it was available in paper version so I could pass to friends who don't have Kindle.I was gripped by the storyline and there are lots of twists and turns so was kept guessing to the end. Clever story line and realistic characters. I feel this read is too good to miss and can't wait for the authors next book!

Kindle Keyboard, Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display
Kindle Keyboard, Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 29 Sep 2011
I deliberated for quite a while before deciding to buy a Kindle as I love the feel and appearance of books and wasn't sure how I would feel reading from a device. However, I'm pleasantly surprised, as it feels very natural reading from it. I have a cover so it is more like holding a book.
I had some trouble linking my Kindle to my Facebook account and tried everything. It was sooo frustrating. I gave up and phoned the support service, not expecting much, but after 20 mins the guy on the other end sorted the problem for me. And it's a freephone number too.
So far I'm very happy with my Kindle and impressed with Amazon's customer support.

Celtic Maidens
Celtic Maidens
by Ceri Norman

3.0 out of 5 stars Promising, 23 Feb 2011
This review is from: Celtic Maidens (Paperback)
I am a big fan of Barbara Erskine and felt that this was an attempt to follow in her style. To an extent, it worked and is a promising first novel. I think it was written well, but the characters lacked depth and I felt we never got to know them very well, particularly the two main characters Sian and Ryan. I think the end was rather disappointing and an anti-climax. Overall, the book was too short for me. Having said all that, I would definitely read her next book.

The Hand That First Held Mine
The Hand That First Held Mine
by Maggie O'Farrell

5.0 out of 5 stars Not to be missed, 6 Jun 2010
I loved this book. Beautifully written. Poignant,sad,amusing. Real characters. Brilliant plot. Kept me guessing right to the very end.

The Shakespeare Curse: Number 2 in series (Kate Stanley)
The Shakespeare Curse: Number 2 in series (Kate Stanley)
by J L Carrell
Price: 5.69

1.0 out of 5 stars Given up!, 20 April 2010
Tried to persevere with this book, but a third of the way through, I've given up. Probably, not fair to give a review when I've not read the whole book - but guess that speaks for itself.
I found the characters had no depth and I didn't have any empathy with them. Potentially an interesting plot, but I felt it wasn't well written and I got bored with reading it.I think the book is trying to jump on the bandwagon of the Dan Brown type thrillers. I thought it would be my 'cup of tea'!! Sadly, not.