ARRAY(0xa92b8654)

Profile for Viljo > Reviews

Content by Viljo

Viljo

LADIES WOMENS CANVAS LACE UP PLIMSOLL FLAT GYM SHOES SNEAKERS TRAINER PUMPS SIZE
Price: 8.79 - 13.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Nothing like the real thing, 25 Mar 2014
Do not be taken in by the reviews that say these shoes are just like the original (I don't want to mention the brand name as doing so helps these shoes show up in searches - that's how I came across them), those reviewers have clearly never owned or even tried on a pair of the genuine article.

This is something so rare as a 'sneaker' that clicks when you walk - really loudly, too. The rubber sole is way to thin and way too hard. On the inside, the shape of the sole caused my feet to overpronate (not a problem I usually have). I am not a brand snob (which is why I ordered these), but I could have put the money that these shoes cost towards buying a quality product instead. These shoes will go straight to charity.

No Impact Man: Saving the planet one family at a time
No Impact Man: Saving the planet one family at a time
Price: 4.31

5.0 out of 5 stars Too short, but worth it., 5 April 2013
After watching the documentary, I wasn't entirely sure I wanted to buy the book. The documentary came across as a bit whiny, and focused a lot on No Impact Man's wife and her reluctance to certain parts of the project. However, I am very glad I bought the book. It is brilliant and I'd recommend it to everyone, hence the five stars.

One drawback I would like to mention is that the book still doesn't go in enough detail for me. At the beginning of the appendices, there are about 15 links to blog posts you can read for more info. I fail to understand why these weren't included in the book, considering it is actually a much shorter book than you'd think. An entire 15% of the book consists of appendices, references and acknowledgements. A further 25% of the book is an index, which incomprehensibly is placed at the back and is a bit pointless in a Kindle version (you can just use the X-Ray function). My copy cost 4.99 from Amazon.co.uk. I normally make a point of never buying an e-book for more than 4 so I put it on my wishlist and waited. And waited. And ran out of patience, which sadly is not one of my virtues, and bought it anyway. The book was listed as having 282 pages, but as you will only really read about 60% of those, I effectively paid nearly 5 for roughly 170 pages.

I still think the book is worth it, and I will probably open the Kindle app on my Mac and check out all those blog post links, but I just wanted to make any potential buyers aware of the above.

Five Ingredients, Ten Minutes
Five Ingredients, Ten Minutes
by Jules Clancy
Price: 10.34

5.0 out of 5 stars So easy it is life-changing, 2 April 2013
I love this book. It has changed my life already. Since I bought this book, I haven't ordered a single carry-out meal. I also realised to my astonishment the other day that I haven't bought any pasta, dried or fresh, since I bought this book. I was addicted to pasta, even though I'm gluten-intolerant. Now I look forward to cooking a really healthy and tasty meal for myself every evening. I think I have tried about 10 of the recipes from the book by now. Never in my life have I made that many recipes from the same cookbook. The veggie chilli is my favourite so far. I make it with passata instead of chopped tomatoes and it really is done in a jiffy. It gets better, though. I have lived without a fridge/freezer for over 6 months now, that's a personal choice. But as a vegetarian who eats very little dairy, this recipe book is perfect for me. It has vegan and vegetarian options for virtually every recipe, very few ingredients that need refrigerating, and so far, every single recipe I have tried has been a one-pot meal. So you use less gas and have less dishes to do at the end of the day as well! I should also mention that the substitutes suggested in each recipe aren't of the 'this'll do' variety. You can tell the author has made every variant of every recipe and really enjoyed the result. The author has a degree in Food Science, so she has also considered the nutritional makeup of each recipe, meaning that every recipe is really a 3-in-1. I really can't recommend 5 Ingredients 10 Minutes highly enough. I joke that it has turned me into some sort of domestic goddess (that's right - move over, Nigella!) and I find that I really like it! I used to be hopeless in the kitchen, but these recipes are foolproof. So quick, so easy, even I can do it. To sum up this review in two words: Go buy.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 2, 2013 6:32 PM BST

OSUN Mushroom Green Zero Energy Saving Plug
OSUN Mushroom Green Zero Energy Saving Plug

5.0 out of 5 stars Genius!, 8 Mar 2013
I had read some very mixed reviews about this plug and although I wanted to try it, I found the risk was too high at a cost of 49.99. However, I found the same plug for 19.99 elsewhere, and decided to buy it. At first it didn't seem to work and I was very disappointed. It was not possible to switch the plug on by pressing the green 'mushroom' bit, as the plugged in gadget started charging as soon as the Osun plug was plugged into the socket. It did not switch off once the plugged in gadget was fully charged, either. However, I wanted to be absolutely sure it didn't work before I complained to the seller, so I kept using it a few times with my iPhone (which thanks to a bug in the software update needed charging every day), and suddenly it started working. I don't know why it didn't work initially or why it suddenly started working, but now it works like a charm and I couldn't be more pleased with it. I plug in a gadget and nothing happens until I press the green 'mushroom' bit, then the plugged in gadget charges until it is fully charged, and the plug disconnects the electric charge. Genius. Imagine the benefit to the environment if every USB operated gadget in the country was charged with this brilliant little plug!

Pusser's Progress
Pusser's Progress
Price: 1.92

3.0 out of 5 stars Poorly written but utterly hilarious, 7 Mar 2013
This review is from: Pusser's Progress (Kindle Edition)
The 3 stars are given in gratitude for the laughs the book has given me. The writing in itself is far from great and if you are a stickler for spelling, grammar and semantics, or even just a story with a natural progression, then you should probably avoid it. That said, I have never in my life laughed so much and so often when reading. At one point I laughed till I cried and then kept laughing until I started coughing. If you think of it as random Facebook updates from a man on various camping holidays, rather than as a work of literature, then I doubt you will be disappointed!

The Vintage Girl
The Vintage Girl
Price: 0.56

4.0 out of 5 stars I guess I'm being a little harsh here, but..., 2 Mar 2013
This review is from: The Vintage Girl (Kindle Edition)
I love Hester Browne and have read all her books. I have also loved all her books. The only reason this book gets 4 stars instead of 5, is that it is too short and therefore was too expensive.

The book is only 272 pages long and cost over 5, whereas The Runaway Princess, by the same author and released the same day, costs the same but is 450 pages long (i.e. 180 pages longer). For 5 I expect a book to entertain me for more than 24 hours. Then again, I knew what I was getting as I had noticed the page number before buying. I had waited and hoped for a price drop for so long that I caved in and bought the book anyway.

At the time of writing, Amazon has dropped the price to 2.09, so if you can avail yourself of this offer, I highly recommend getting the book. You will not be disappointed in it - it is a wonderful romantic novel.

Oh, I should perhaps mention that the dogs on the front cover are a bit misleading - the book takes place in the Scottish Borders (hence the Scottie and Westie), but unlike most other Hester Browne novels, there are no canine main characters in it.

The Chocolate Thief (Amour et Chocolat)
The Chocolate Thief (Amour et Chocolat)
Price: 4.48

5.0 out of 5 stars Romance and chocolate in Paris, 2 Mar 2013
I actually read the second book of this series first, The Chocolate Kiss, and loved it so much that I decided to read this book as well. Romance and chocolate in Paris - the premises for the book are pretty unbeatable in themselves, and Laura Florand is a great writer so the book will not let you down. I finished the book in 24 hours.