Profile for Angus P. Walker > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Giant Steps
Giant Steps

5.0 out of 5 stars Giant sound, 18 Dec 2010
This review is from: Giant Steps (Audio CD)
Most Coltrane fans eulogise about 'A Love Supreme' or 'Blue Train' and rightly so, as they are superb. However, being relatively new to John Coltrane's work (at least in trms of owning the albums), I was very pleasantly surprised by this album which is very rounded and is accessible to anyone wanting to develop a further interest in John Coltrane's work.

I own several of John Coltrane's albums, but for now at least, this is my favourite.

At Carnegie Hall
At Carnegie Hall
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars Rediscovered gem, 18 Dec 2010
This review is from: At Carnegie Hall (Audio CD)
Although this has been available for a few years now, I have only just got around to purchasing it. Considering the age etc of the recording, the sound quality is fantastic and I would recommend it to any Jazz fan .

Playing cards box,brass inlaid,2packs cards
Playing cards box,brass inlaid,2packs cards

5.0 out of 5 stars Box of treats, 29 Aug 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:4.0 out of 5 stars
Bought for my wife, this little box is well constructed and looks to have a long life. The brass effect insert is nicely finished and all in all it makes a nice gift. Two packs of playing cards fit well inside.

ByteStor 512MB PC2700 DDR 333MHz  Desktops
ByteStor 512MB PC2700 DDR 333MHz Desktops

5.0 out of 5 stars 512Mb memory chip for older pc, 7 Jun 2010
I used this to boost the performance of an older AMD Athalon 1.4Ghz pc, with 512Mb of RAM on board. The additional memory made a difference and makes the machine usable for low level applications. All things considered I would purchase again, but in this day and age, most purchasers will be looking to buy 2Gb and upwards memory modules. My motherboard has a 1Gb upper limit, and so for me this is my ceiling, but I am satisfied with the performance.

3.5mm Stereo Jack Plug to 2 x RCA Phono Plugs - Grey
3.5mm Stereo Jack Plug to 2 x RCA Phono Plugs - Grey
Offered by Quasar Electronics

5.0 out of 5 stars 3.5mm jack to phono output lead, 7 Jun 2010
I bought this for use with a cheap 5.1 sound card which I bought from Amazon to enable an older pc to play Region 1 DVDs through my tv. The lead and card produce a perfectly acceptable sound and for the money i have no hesitattion in recommending both the card and the lead for anyone on a budget wishing to utilise them for a similar application. Views on cables vary depending upon whom you ask; some people would have you spending far more on hi-fi cables ( cue 40 response e-mails !), but on budget kit, this is more than capable.

5.1 Channel Surround Sound PCI Sound Card
5.1 Channel Surround Sound PCI Sound Card

5.0 out of 5 stars A budget gem, 7 Jun 2010
I purchased the cheapest sound card which I could for an older pc. The purpose of the card was to enable me to play Region 1 discs through the tv, which when set up properly it is able to do. This budget card provides a very respectable sound for movies etc and on this pbasis I have no problem in recommending it. If you are an avid gamer then perhaps your requirements will be higher, but for run of the mill stuff this is perfectly acceptable.

Writing Home
Writing Home
by Alan Bennett

4.0 out of 5 stars Guaranteed to brighten any bus journey, 9 Feb 2010
This review is from: Writing Home (Paperback)
Much as 'Untold Stories' which is the second volume, read arse about face by myself, mixes diary and prose, so too does this volume. Again it is for my taste a bit unweildy and gives the impression of having been padded out to justify it's publishing. Having said this Faber and Faber (the publisher) come in for some stick from Mr Bennett, so this observation could be wholly accurate. That said in any format Mr Bennett's works are a joy to read; personally I would have edited the non sequential diaries of 'Writing Home' and 'Untold Stories' into one volume, but of course, these books are not warts and all exposes, and Alan Bennett only treats us to the sanitised diary entries which he feels comfortable to share.

If you are a fan of Alan Bennett's wry observations and enjoy reading works which make you repeatedly smile, and in my case agree with, then this book is for you.

Untold Stories
Untold Stories
by Alan Bennett

4.0 out of 5 stars Uncommonly good, 9 Feb 2010
This review is from: Untold Stories (Hardcover)
This is a collection of works, part diary, part miscellaneous writings, much in the same way as 'Writing Home'. For me the first 2/3rds of the book are by far the best, with the latter chapters containing the more ecclectic works which give the appearance of having been added to pad out the volume.

My copy was bought secondhand, and I am unrepentent about this meanness as it means that I have been able to enjoy the spelling corrections made by a previous reader.

Not wishing to offend, and certainly being a fan of Mr Bennett's writings I would probably have have relayed the story to him were he more accessible through a web portal or 'Twitter', or any of the myriad means of communication which Alan Bennett is far to reticent to use. Having to ' play himself', which as he frequently makes clear, he has no wish to do, and so for this reason this little addendum which I think of as worthy of a diary entry itself, will go unrecognised by the author.

Everything Must Go
Everything Must Go
Offered by Fulfillment Express

2.0 out of 5 stars Close but no cigar, 22 Dec 2009
This review is from: Everything Must Go (Audio CD)
Not their best album by any means; compared to 'Two Against Nature' the songs are less well crafted and lack the polish and instant likeability which is a feature of much of their work. This album is one for the completist and is unlikely to set your hifi on fire for years to come in the same way as the 1972-1980 albums are likely to. If you don't already own it, why not try the more recent Donald Fagan offering 'Morph the Cat'? which is a joy to listen to, and is a real return to form, in my opinion.

Skechers Mens EXPRESSED DEREST Dark brown 61160 DKBR 11 UK Regular
Skechers Mens EXPRESSED DEREST Dark brown 61160 DKBR 11 UK Regular

4.0 out of 5 stars Skechers, 24 Sep 2009
These were a good buy; around 75% of the full price. They arrived within 3 days of ordering are were exactly as described.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 29, 2010 8:08 PM BST