Profile for Cynic > Reviews

Endeavour - Series 2 [DVD]
Endeavour - Series 2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Shaun Evans

5.0 out of 5 stars Sublime (includes spoilers), 23 April 2014
This review is from: Endeavour - Series 2 [DVD] (DVD)
What an amazing series. Incredible and fascinating storylines. Shaun Evans is a triumph. With such an cliff hanger ending on Sunday, it can be hoped that there is going to be a third series - which is likely to be just as fantastic.

Apparently the great Colin Dextor is involved in the making of Endeavour and it shows!! I only hope that Roger Allams brilliantly portrayed Fred Thursday is included in the next series, as it will be poorer if he does not at least have some presence. Thursdays family life, and its warmth has given heart to Endeavour, and I believe that to take this away completely, would be a very big mistake (inevitable if Thursday dies). At a recent TV interview Shaun Evans indicated that he is happy to continue in the role - I imagine that millions of avid viewers are hoping that he will - for many more series.

The Paradise [DVD]
The Paradise [DVD]
Dvd ~ Joanna Vanderham
Offered by Discs4all

4.0 out of 5 stars A captivating series, 10 Nov. 2012
This review is from: The Paradise [DVD] (DVD)
I really loved The Paradise. It was wonderful to be able to sit and watch a well made sumptious production without the often ubiquitous swearing, sex and violence. I am not a prude by any means but gentle programmes such as The Paradise, and Downton Abbey seem like a breath of spring. I am looking forward to reading the book because I am not sure a second series will be possible. Well done BBC this is surely a winner.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 2, 2012 12:46 PM GMT

Anna Karenina [DVD]
Anna Karenina [DVD]
Dvd ~ Keira Knightley

2.0 out of 5 stars Watchable, 20 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Anna Karenina [DVD] (DVD)
I had already seen the reviews of this film so was prepared for the somewhat odd theatrical take on it. Having read the book many many years ago I went with an open mind, but to be honest I found the overall effect to be strange and somewhat disengaging. There was undoubted spectacle about it, and from a visual perspective some scenes were stunning, but at the end of the day I found the film disjointed and difficult to follow as it seemed to jump between the conventional and the surreal.

Keira Knightley looking predictably stunning in some wonderful costumes, is sadly not a convincing character actress as I find I can never forget I am watching Keira rather become immersed in the character she is portraying(very much the same about her role as Elizabeth Bennett in Pride and Prejudice)

I was unprepared for Jude Laws knock out performance as the tormented Karenin. I have never been a great fan of this actor, but I honestly believe his performance is award worthy. Unlike Keira Knightleys 'Anna', Jude Law became the personification of his character, and the film was worth watching for his performance alone. Matthew McFaddyn was also a delight to watch as Annas errant brother

Sadly, I left the cinema feeling oddly unmoved, and feeling that the movie could have given audiences much more.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 16, 2014 7:16 PM GMT

Scott & Bailey - Series 2 [DVD]
Scott & Bailey - Series 2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Suranne Jones

5.0 out of 5 stars Roll on Series 3, 18 April 2012
I loved the first series and the second has not disappointed. The main characters are all brilliant and many viewers will sympathise, and even identify with the personal story lines. All the best police dramas look at the personal side of the lead players as well as following individual plotlines in each episode, and Scott and Bailey is a brilliant example of this. The second series has had more hard hitting story lines than the first, and the writers have tackled these with just the right balance. All I hope is that there will be a third series!!

Nintendo Handheld Console DSi XL - Blue
Nintendo Handheld Console DSi XL - Blue

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant product, 22 Oct. 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I was amazed how much more there is to this product than my existing DS lite which I bought in 2007. The main reason I got it was for the bigger screen - not a young as I used to be!!! I love the pen stylus which is very comfortable to use, although the fact that it cannot 'tuck' into the console itself is a slight drawback

Apart from the above, the added functions are amazing particularly being able to access the internet. Like a previous poster on this site I was also tempted to wait for the 3D version but the bright new colours (opted for the blue one) proved to be the final straw and I gave in....................so glad I did.

Breaking Dawn Special Edition (Twilight Saga) (The Twilight Saga)
Breaking Dawn Special Edition (Twilight Saga) (The Twilight Saga)
by Stephenie Meyer

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing book - with certain reservations, 5 Nov. 2009
I started reading the Twilight series on the recommendation of a national Sunday newspaper. I truly expected to be underwhelmed, simply because I am by no means in the category of the target audience. To my unexpected delight I was hooked from the start, and all 4 books had, by then been published, just waiting for me to read. I was entralled by the complete originality of the plot and could not believe the way in which the characters rapidly became real for me. Thanks to Stephenie Meyers brilliant no nonsense way of writing I was drawn into Bellas world, crazy I know but true.

So to Breaking Dawn - I read this book faster than the others because I really wanted to see how Stephenie Meyer was going to bring about her well known love of happy endings. I was knocked out by the first chapters but was surprised by the high levels of horror and violence. Unlike a lot of readers I loved Jacobs character and was delighted and surprised when his story developed in the way it did. I found the ending satisfying albeit a bit sugary, but my main 'reservation' is that I cannot understand why such a major event as the wedding was given so little 'page space' when the later events seemed to give us more than we needed, the confrontation with the Volturi went on for chapter after chapter yet by comparison the wedding seemed to be over and done with in a few pages.
As an avid reader I have rarely considered reading a book more than once. I have done the Harry Potters, and His Dark Materials as well as most of the 'must read' books over the years, but the only book I have read more than once is Lord of the Rings - until now - I have just started reading Twilight again - need I say more? I truly wish there was a 5th book planned.