Profile for Alex's honest reviews > Reviews

Content by Alex's honest ...

Alex's honest reviews (Birmingham, U.K.)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Sellotape Sticky Fixers Double-Sided 12x25mm 56 Foam Pads Ref 1445423
Sellotape Sticky Fixers Double-Sided 12x25mm 56 Foam Pads Ref 1445423
Offered by Tudor Office Supplies
Price: 1.95

1.0 out of 5 stars Useless for sticking even light pieces of paper on wall, 27 Aug 2014
Completely useless. I used them yesterday to stick up my son's alphabet frieze, which is divided into sections of just four letters at a time, so each section is about the same surface area as an A4 sheet of paper. I used four pads per section, one in each corner. This morning, half the frieze has already fallen down. Have resorted to good old blu-tac, but didn't use it the first time because I didn't want the frieze to appear lumpy underneath. I wouldn't bother buying these again but maybe they would be useful for making birthday cards etc.

Rentokil Fly Control adjustable cassette lasts 60 days
Rentokil Fly Control adjustable cassette lasts 60 days
Offered by LightingandMobileAccessoriesUK
Price: 10.75

1.0 out of 5 stars No good for cluster flies in loft, 10 May 2014
We have a problem with what I believe are cluster flies, which gather in the loft and then congregate on the landing. They die on the landing window sill, and we get about 10 new ones per day. I put one of these cassettes in the loft space and one on the landing. There was no change in the number of flies appearing each day unfortunately. Will try an insect "bomb" next.

Crocs Women's Mercy Work Black/Silver Casual 10876-067-460 6 UK
Crocs Women's Mercy Work Black/Silver Casual 10876-067-460 6 UK
Price: 29.99

4.0 out of 5 stars V comfy work shoes, once you have the correct size!, 2 Mar 2014
These Crocs are very comfortable. Not as wide as normal Crocs, which suits me as my feet are slightly narrow. They have a slight bounce when you walk - good for people who spend most of their day on their feet (I am a vet). Unlike other reviewers, I find the ankle strap to be at the correct height so as not to rub.

The sizing chart that you click on to help with choosing sizes, is however incorrect, and if you follow it, you will end up with half a size too small. I am a UK size 5. The size chart indicates that this equates to a W7 and EU 37.5. But if you check any other size chart on the internet, a size 5 is EU size 38. So I ordered the size W7 and ended up with UK size 4.5 shoes - they were of course too small. That is the reason I have dropped a star from my rating. I have pointed out the error to Amazon and they promised to correct it, but haven't so far. I reordered a size W8 and found them to be just right. You have been warned!

Large Bramble Bear Soft Toy
Large Bramble Bear Soft Toy
Offered by The Gift Experience Ltd.
Price: 22.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Extremely soft and pleasingly large., 3 Jan 2014
This review is from: Large Bramble Bear Soft Toy (Toy)
We bought this as a Christmas present for our 7 month old son. It is a lovely bear, good quality and very soft. Only slight downside is that it sheds fibres a little bit, but maybe all bears of this type do. Ribbon is brown and also of good quality

Vent Hose Connector: 102mm
Vent Hose Connector: 102mm
Offered by i-sells
Price: 4.28

3.0 out of 5 stars Hoses keep disconnecting, so had to secure with rubber bands., 3 Jan 2014
I needed a longer vent hose to reach the nearest window, as the house we have just moved into has no outlet tunnel to outside. When trying to decide whether to buy this product, I couldn't tell whether it would come with some kind of fixings - it doesn't. I don't know what the holes (as seen in the picture) are for.

When this connector arrived, I pushed several spiral loops of each hose onto each side of the connector, but every now and then they came off again. I have now used thick elastic bands to fasten the hoses to it, and that seems to be working. It's a bit unsightly but we will sort out a more permanent solution than using a window anyway at some point.

8 Black Enamel Mini Hair Slides IN9271
8 Black Enamel Mini Hair Slides IN9271

3.0 out of 5 stars Not amazing quality but better than nothing,, 5 Aug 2013
These are mini hair slides, as the description says. I use this size for holding back small wisps of my fringe, and usually buy them from Claire's Accessories. These slides are slightly smaller than the Claire's ones and definitely flimsier. They do the job but feel as though they will fall out more easily.

Sumex 4410008 3-Layer Lateral Sun Shade with UV Protection 38 x 65 cm (2 Pieces)
Offered by MP 1st Class Supplies
Price: 7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Only sunshade I've found that obscures entire back window, 24 July 2013
I think these are great. They cover pretty much the entire back windows of my car (Vaunxhall Corsa) and my husband's car (Audi A4). The edges can be gently tucked into the gap between the window and the surround, ensuring a snug fit and also making it less tempting for a toddler to rip them off. My two year old son hasn't shown much interest in them yet.

It is true that the suction cups are misshapen upon arrival, but as another reviewer advises, just hold them in boiling water for a minute or so and they will even out. Moisten slightly before applying to the window and they won't come off unless you want them to. Don't pay more for expensive blinds that only occupy the centre of the window!

A Squash and a Squeeze
A Squash and a Squeeze
by Julia Donaldson
Edition: Audio CD
Price: 4.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Has rescued many a car journey!, 6 April 2013
This review is from: A Squash and a Squeeze (Audio CD)
My son is 22 months old and a friend gave us this CD for his first birthday. It has three tracks - 1) the story (narrated by Imelda Staunton and Steven Pacey) with sound effects, 2) the "Squash and a Squeeze Song" sung by both narrators and also by Julia Donaldson herself, 3) the music to the song with no singing.

It's a great story with original rhymes and my son is totally captivated by it. If he is threatening to cry during a car journey, we just put this on and silence ensues! He obviously listens, because he repeats certain words after they've been said. The song is incredibly catchy and you can challenge yourself by singing along to track 3 to see if you know the words! Warning - you will be hearing it your head for about a week after each time!).

We have since bought some of the other Julia Donaldson audio CDs, and they are good, but none is as good or as catchy as this one. I have bought this again to give to a friend for her new baby, as I think it is extremely useful.

DYSON DC01 DC02 DC03 DC04 DC05 DC07 DC14 VACUUM CLEANER SWIVEL TYPE STAIR/UPHOLSTERY TOOL
Offered by The Chemical Hut
Price: 2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Fits well both on vacuum pipe and in storage area on top of machine., 6 April 2013
I have a Dyson DC14 "All floors" vacuum. I was a bit hesitant about buying this product as other reviewers had said that it didn't fit the vacuum pipe well or that it didn't fit in the storage slot properly - I have found that it fits well to both - perhaps the design has been improved, or perhaps these parts vary in quality? Anyway, I'm really pleased with this, it does swivel and therefore is not inferior in any way to the original Dyson part that I have lost. Replacement Dyson parts were around 15 including postage, so this is a bargain.

8 Pcs Replaceable Orange Rubber Pad Cushion for Eyelash Curler
8 Pcs Replaceable Orange Rubber Pad Cushion for Eyelash Curler
Offered by sourcingmap
Price: 3.37

5.0 out of 5 stars Just as good as pads that came with my curlers originally., 6 April 2013
These pads are of good quality - they produce a nice gradual curve to my eyelashes (rather than a square shape!). I have been using the first pad out of the packets for at least a couple of months now and it is showing no sign of needing replacing yet. Would recommend.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4