Profile for Ann Rowley > Reviews

Vintage Couture Tailoring
Vintage Couture Tailoring
by Thomas Von Nordheim

4.0 out of 5 stars Vintage Couture tailoring, 2 Feb. 2013
First - if your eyes are old then you will need your very best glasses to read this book! The print size is small; the introduction is printed in pink, the rest a light grey.
English is not the first language of the author and at times it shows; he also has an annoying habit of referring to men's tailoring as "gents" tailoring. I'm surprised that his editor didn't pick up on this use of slang.

These minor annoyances aside the content is excellent. Very good photos of most of the processes involved. He lists the construction of a ladies jacket - no pattern provided - from cutting and marking to the finished garment.

My back ground is dressmaking - tailoring is a different discipline, although they obviously overlap in many areas. I have learned many traditional tailoring skills over the years and this has confirmed that I seem to have got them right.
I'd be interested to know how well a complete tailoring beginner would get on - there are a few gaps that I can fill easily, but could a novice..?

I would suggest this book as an additon to an aspiring tailor's library, rather than a primer.