Profile for Mark > Reviews

Mark

Quest For The True Cross: The Templar Series: Part One
Quest For The True Cross: The Templar Series: Part One

5.0 out of 5 stars Do read this!!, 21 Jan. 2016
Well researched, and well written thriller. The bloodthirstiness and violence are competely artistically justified, even if somewhat gruesome. There are a couple of happy escapes for the hero which do resemble the "with one bound Jack was free" style of children's matinees at the saturday morning cinema! Despite that, I did have problems putting the book down at night, and my partner was kept awake.........so a really rather good read. Do give it a go - and you might well become interested in the background and history of th period as a bonus. Thanks for all the effort in writing this piece!! Dr William Sellwood

Breville VTT233 Black 4 Slice Toaster
Breville VTT233 Black 4 Slice Toaster

5.0 out of 5 stars toaster eutopia, 18 July 2012
A very sad day struck, very sad indeed, so it was with a deepened heart that I had to arrange a service for my old toaster, which after many years of service finally left this mortal coil, and entered the white-goods afterlife.
However, this sorrow was complemented by extreme joy on purchasing my new toaster.
Clearly, over the years, my old four slice toaster, having endured quite hard service, had entered its dotage, for on recieving my new toaster, that herein I review, I re-discovered the joy ob toast, as this toaster produces toast of all types, far above and beyond that which my previous, dearly belovered toaster was capible to make.
And, all this despite this four slice toaster, being approximately half the price of my previous, dearly departed toaster.
This toaster has two long slots; easily able to hold four slices of toast, or two sliced in half rolls. additionally; having two long slots (rather than four shorter slots), means it will more easily toast (or heat), such items as pitta bread, or sliced baguettes etc.
The crumb tray is easy to remove and empty, the controls are simple and effective (I've not found the need to turn the temp setting anywhere past the half way point).
It holds the items to be toasted, nice and deep within the toaster, and the 'lift', gives ample clearance to remove items once toasted.
I can't imagine any more I would require a toaster to do, and, it produces toast of superior quality to that I have had from any previous toaster I have owned, at a price far lower than any toaster has ever cost me before. I have had it some time now, and so have toasted all manner of goods; bread from my local bakery, (including tiger bread, wholemeal and Dutch bread), my home made pitta bread, baguettes, multigrain and wholemeal rolls, sourdough bread, crumpets, English muffins, teacakes, and find it performs outstandingly on all of these items.
Only time will of course reveal if it has the longevity that I fully expect it to have.
I Look forward to many years of toasting bliss with this toaster. Highly recommended.

Andrew James Three-Tier Stackable Cooling Rack 39.5cm X 25cm - Can Also Be Used Individually - Great For Space Saving
Offered by Andrew James UK LTD

4.0 out of 5 stars Great little problem solver, 8 Feb. 2012
I have baked my own bread at home over several years, and one of the problems has always been having sufficient cooling rack space, within the restraints of the limited kitchen countertop space availible. Purchasing multiple stand-alone cooling racks would not solve the problem, as it does not aleviate the shortage of worktop space. However this stackable cooling system does the trick. I purchased two sets (six racks in total) which will stack one on top of the other, or as Itend to use it, in two towers of three trays each (to aid stability). The design is simple, so there is little to go wrong, and whilst they are not overly stable when stacked, with the weight of bread, rols, loafs, etc., the system works entirely well. They can be stacked as high as needed, so sometimes only using them two high, or evoking the use of all of them when larger batches are being baked. They fold and so store easily. AT some point I may adapt them, to create a stackible cooling rack system, attached to the wall, which can be folded out when required. these do the job, as is, and forfill a very useful function in the kitchen, just what I was looking for to solve the problem of coolin gbread products, with a limited amoutn of worktop space. Imay soon buy another one or two sets, to furhter increase the amount of coolling space availible, without using up more of the limited worktop space.
It gets four, rather than five stars, as I feel it could have benifited from having some kind of 'catch', to enable each teer of the stack to 'lock' onto the proceding layer in the stack, a small, not deal breaking feature, but one which would have been easy I feel to have incorperated, and made them just that* bit better. I know, I'm being hard...

Swift Faringdon Collection Bakers Pride Non-Stick French Bread Pan Carbon Steel 39 cm x 16 cm x 2.5 cm

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect French Baguettes., 13 April 2011
I now have two of these, and they are both used weekly.

I make a 74% or higher French-bread dough, using an overnight poolish pre-ferment, and with the help of these baguette trays always turn out authentic classic French Bread Baguettes.

A few hints I've learnt:

Don't wash them after use; let cool and just with your hand scrape off any residue of the dough baked on, after a few uses you will then get even less sticking to them.

Don't over-load with dough, shape to the size before putting in the tray, and leave a little bit of space at each end before they undergo the final rise in the trays.

Cook hot, as hot as the oven will go, for at least the first 15 minutes, and during this time create steam within the oven (old roasting tray full of water in bottom of oven etc), to ensure a good oven-spring and crust texture (remove steam after 15 minutes though for full crust development).

Score each baguette using a lame (or suitable sharp knife), to get the typical Baguette appearance, this also helps in the oven spring of the baguettes (Score at end of final rise in trays, having first sprayed baguettes with water, and wet blade of knife during scoring, score quickly, and firmly to avoid snagging on the dough).

Add a small amount of rye flour (8% or less), to the dough, if you want a vaguette which keeps fresh slightly longer.

Once cooked, and cooled down, you can make garlic bread with the baguettes; cut baguettes appropiately, put in garlic butter, put in the trays, cover with tin foil, cook 15 - 20 minutes, then remove foil to allow to toast/chrisp up crust.

These baguette trays are excellent and at a decent price too, I expect they shall give years and years of regular use without failing.

As others have mentioned, do be sure to measure your oven's internal size; in my small domestic oven, I can just fit two of these baguette trays onto one shelf of the oven, which leaves the trays virtually touching both the sides and back/front of the oven.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 10, 2014 9:07 AM BST