Profile for Jay_13thstep > Reviews

Content by Jay_13thstep

Jay_13thstep

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
BcVoge Japan Anime Film Figure Toy Death Note L Lawliet Misa Pvc Figure Set Of 5Pcs
Offered by Colostar Global Ltd
Price: 9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for the Price, 20 Aug 2014
I honestly think they are pretty good (for the price anyway). They are made of that sort of slightly flexible plastic so I can see where some people may have had trouble with them distorting out of shape, but they can be bent back with very little fear of them snapping.

The only figure for me that was out of shape was Misa's feet which don't stick to the base well, but after a bit of fiddling all ok now. Also worth mentioning that L's donut is removable and will inevitably get lost at some point I would have thought. The painted detail isn't mind-blowing either but you're getting 5 decent sized figures for under a tenner, its just not going to be. The figures themselves are decently cast and if you fancy getting the paint brush out yourself I guess you could spruce them up a bit.

All in all I'm happy with these, but I wouldn't pay more than 10 for them.

From Death To Destiny
From Death To Destiny
Price: 6.10

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly Great, 18 Oct 2013
This review is from: From Death To Destiny (Audio CD)
First off I feel it necessary to point out that I am in no way this bands target demographic - Im a 27 year old male who, for better or worse, should have moved on from this sort of stuff 10 years ago. And for the most part I have, however Asking Alexandria have been somewhat of a guilty pleasure of mine these past few years. What they do is simple, but they do it well and I respect them for writing their own songs and performing them with real intensity - I've seen them live twice now and although I could very well have been the oldest person in the room (save for the ear clutching parents at the back), I can't deny they put on a good show. Sure the attitude of pretty much all the band members is pompous and cringeworthy 90% of the time, but I try to ignore that.

This album however is a pretty big shift from their previous releases and marks an obvious upswing of maturity for the band. They have more or less completely ditched those repetitive breakdowns which, if you're a guitar player will be all too familiar with (open.. open....open open open... open open *yawn*), and have replaced them with much more groove and melody. The best way to describe the change is that they've gone more rock and roll but admittedly that analogy doesn't quite fit as the metalcore elements are still very much there, albeit just more muted. They have also completely gotten rid of those, what I assume were meant to be, epic spoken word backed with orchestra segments and thank god they have. Those parts were cringe-bombs going off all over the place on previous albums and its great that I don't have to reach for the skip button in order to end the torment. In fact I don't have to reach for the skip button on ANY track, and that really is saying something about an album. Don't get me wrong, its not a classic 'unskipable' like Dark Side of the Moon or something (and I'm embarrassed for myself that I've mentioned that album here), but its full of decent, riffy hooks which simply don't need to be skipped - no filler here at all.

So in summary I applaud Asking Alexandria for, well, growing up a bit. Their target audience will be doing the same and I hope the increased level of musicianship on display here will not go unnoticed by them. Asking Alexandria will still get hate from most over the age of 20, and I could understand it to an extent even though I do think it's wrong to criticise so blindly. However this album is a step in the right direction and I'm sure will turn a few heads. Give them time and I'm sure Asking Alexandria will be listened to more widely, I just worry it may take at least another couple albums before people realise there is at least something worth listening to with this band.

Grimm - Season 1 [DVD]
Grimm - Season 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ David Giuntoli
Price: 11.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Disapointing, 24 Sep 2013
This review is from: Grimm - Season 1 [DVD] (DVD)
I had high hopes for this series based on the really strong idea behind it - a fairy-tale cop show - cool. However the show really suffers on practically every level. This is a bit long winded so apologies to those who do not wish to read through - there are much shorter 'bad' reviews of this so hopefully they may be able to help.

The casting is for the most part terrible. The main character Nick is so bland and dull and acted so poorly that he is totally forgettable. Combine this with his girlfriend who is literally only there to quip sexual innuendoes at him once an episode and you have a recipe for stale pie. The writing is so bad between these 2 characters that I actually pity the actors. All the other characters and the dialogues between them are similar in their set up, by that I mean they all have a paint by numbers dialogue stream - the cop sidekick with his terrible jokes, the 'get the job done boys' boss - every conversation is the same. The only characters with any kind of depth are Nicks Aunt who doesn't stick around too long, and his secret werewolf buddy, but they are painfully underused.

Sometimes though these poor casting decisions and cheesey scripts can be overlooked if there is a strong idea behind it that is well executed, however Grimm manages somewhat spectacularly to fail at this. Considering how much room there is to play around with in this fictional universe, its amazing how nothing of note happens over the seasons 22 episodes. The main gripe that I and many others have noted, is that Nick does not have any kind of special powers that we can see as putting him at an advantage against all the creatures he meets. He can see the monsters true forms, and when they realise he can see them, they all panic, but why? He cant (and rarely does) do anything, and when he does pluck up the courage to get into a fight maybe, he usually gets his ass kicked, only for another creature or a friend to come and save him. He is absolutely useless with no reason for the viewer, let alone the creatures, to see whats so threatening about him. This is such a basic flaw and should have been addressed early on, I cant believe the show got this far into production and no one thought to ask "hey, I get that he can see a creatures true form, but can he not like develop a power that will actually help him physically defeat his foes - hes a bit lame if that's all he can do...", but no, X-Ray Specs Nick is all we get.

I can also outline very quickly every single episode for you here:
- Crime (usually a murder) takes place involving some sort of creature
- Roll opening credit
- Nick and his partner arrive at the scene (have friendly banter whilst crouching over corpse)
- Nick spots someone at the scene whos face CGI flinches into whatever creature is flavour of the week
- Nick goes and looks through some books to see what it is
- As Nick is clueless he goes off to his werewolf mate to tell him what is actually happening
- Nick asks his werewolf mate to do all the leg work in gathering clues/breaking into suspects property etc, which he does for seemingly no reason
- Nick and his partner find suspect and kill/arrest them
- No questions are asked by the police how Nick manages to find these suspects, but hey who cares right? End credits

That's it, literally every single episode. It may be a spider lady, a mouse man or a dragon, but I can guarantee they will all play out the same. If you're lucky you may be teased with a bit of Grimm history, and the occasional glimmer of interest from a secret society behind the scenes, but this will happen say once in every 4-5 episodes, and for all of 2 minutes - its just not worth it. Such a shame as some of these ideas are great and leave you curious, but by the end of the series you know not to invest any time in thinking about it because they will go nowhere.

Overall this could have been great, and indeed could still be, but only after some serious re-imagining. I hear the second season is better and when it drops in price I may pick it up, but I don't know if I can be bothered with it anymore. For a good idea like this to be so poorly executed, with even the smallest things done wrong, I am truly amazed it has gotten so many good reviews and is continuing to be picked up for future seasons. I honestly cant recommend this show to anyone unless you are willing to let a LOT of things slip, but with TV (particularly American TV) being so strong lately, why waste your time on something so bland?
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 17, 2013 4:42 PM BST

Army Woodland Camouflage Cotton T-Shirt Mens XXL
Army Woodland Camouflage Cotton T-Shirt Mens XXL
Offered by MilitaryOps Ltd
Price: 7.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Ok But Order Size Above, 11 Jun 2012
Decent quality shirt for the price but make sure you order AT LEAST the size above as, like others have said, it is a bit tight. Personally I ordered the XXL and its still a bit figure hugging. Im not the smallest of guys around the middle but Im certainly not the biggest, I will usually order a L or XL shirt depending on the fit I want, but this just scrapes an acceptable fit. I worry about consecutive washes but I wont be wearing this that often and it didnt exactly break the bank in the first place.

Basically if your a smaller guy you'll be fine with this, but bigger fellas might want to shop around a bit first.

Aces Up My Sleeve - The Collection
Aces Up My Sleeve - The Collection

5.0 out of 5 stars Great cd for newbies like myself., 11 Jun 2012
This really is a great introduction to the band where you can hear the shift in sound throughout their career. There are some absolutely fantastic fist pumping tracks like 'Killed by Death' and 'Eat The Rich' which I simply cant get out of my head. Of course classics like 'Ace of Spades' and 'Overkill' are here too which is all good.

Getting this cd has made me want to amass an entire collection of Motorhead albums, so I guess its done its job. Great stuff!

Monument MON2161 2161X Professional Power Plunger
Monument MON2161 2161X Professional Power Plunger
Price: 23.68

5.0 out of 5 stars Click, Click, BOOM!, 25 May 2012
Great little plunger that will help unblock a shower/sink/toilet/whatever really.

I say plunger it really is more a gun that you pump up as much as you can which you then hold over the effected area and pull the trigger. One satisfying blast later and in theory your blockage has gone.

People complain that this hasnt cleared their blockage but to be honest if this thing cant shift whatever it is you really need to get a plumber out!

Its a little pricey, and I would worry that in some cases if you pumped this up too much you could blow a pipe, however if used carefully and with the full knowledge that this isnt a substitute for a professional plumber, you cant really go wrong. And as an added bonuns your mates think your cool for having one of these and will want to borrow it themselves - for some reason thats man code for "Ive made a good purchase"

Enuff Neon Logo Complete Skateboard - Black
Enuff Neon Logo Complete Skateboard - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Board, 25 May 2012
Got this for my younger brother who has just gotten in to skateboarding. He and his friends assure me its a good board and they have all been happy jumping up and down on it. Personally I think the colours are bloody horrible but they all seem to like this kind of thing so I wont hold that against it.

The price is a little lofty I will admit, and I found it rather a lip biting experience watching him come back in after literally 5 minutes using the thing to find it was all scratched to hell, but I suppose I cant complain!

He bought loads of stickers and covered up the scuffs and hes bought laods of other bits and bobs to modify the board and hes really happy with it. Hes had it for about 3 months now and no problems with it snapping in half or anything - I dont know if that is worth saying but as youve probably guessed I know little to nothing about these things save for some Tony Hawkes gaming as a kid!

Anyway would recomend as my brother and all his minions are happy with it and it keeps them out the house - just make sure your ready for the ensuing lines of grazed elbows and knees!

The What on Earth? Wallbook of Natural History
The What on Earth? Wallbook of Natural History
by Christopher Lloyd
Price: 12.25

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, 25 May 2012
I got this a bit apprehensively to be honest as it is a little pricey but I'm really happy with it.

Great fold out book that is great fun to read and to look at the pictures (I realise that makes me sound very childish and possibly retarded). Im 26 years old with no kids or anything, but this would be great for anyone of any age to enjoy. I mean I wont be throwing this up on the wall as it is intended to but I will happily flick through it. I can see a kid really loving this thing though as it is interesting having a book that can instantly transform into an informative loooong poster.

The artwork wont blow you away and the information isnt going to get you a scholarship at Cambridge but its the brief simplicity that makes this a book aimed at both laymans and children alike.

The only problem with the item (and this isnt really a problem to be honest), is that the pages are double sided which is fine for me as I wont be hanging this on a wall, but if you want both the picture side and the extra info side hung as a poster you cant (or you would have to buy 2). This really isnt a deal breaker though but just thought Id mention it.

Anyway this is a good picture book for all ages!

Dark Star, 30th Anniversary Special Edition [DVD] [1974]
Dark Star, 30th Anniversary Special Edition [DVD] [1974]
Dvd ~ Dan O'Bannon
Price: 8.88

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok but Dated and Quality is Poor, 9 May 2012
First off I would like to say that I am new to this film and as such I suppose this review will not sit too well with hardcore fans, but instead I hope to inform new comers such as myself.

The film itself is fair. Its a good if not (at least now) familair premise, but the lighthearted aspects of the movie do a good job of keeping the subject fairly fresh. I would argue that if you want a similar yet more up to date splash of sci fi comedy you look at Red Dwarf or Galaxy Quest, but its important to note that the aformentioned may not exist without Dark Star (and indeed are becoming out-dated themselves). This to me was both Dark Stars strength and weakness as it is interesting as a piece of cinematic and even political history - a bomb that thinks for itself is firmly fixed in cold war era thought and it still resonates today - however I found it difficult to fall into the film due to its dated comedic style and really very poor acting. This is not neccesarily a bad thing if, like me, you enjoy discovering what has inspired similar media.

There are laughs to be had here though - the scene where a crew member is being tickled by a beachball alien (but to me looked more like sexual assault), got a giggle from me. Thats the problem though - its all giggles and titters and nothing to make you laugh out loud which I imagine was the original intention and presumably worked at the time. The comedy aspect of the film, for better or worse, just wont stand up to todays expectations.

Aside from the humurous side though I did find the film thought provoking and the setting interesting. I wanted to know more about the crews mission and the themes of destruction and isolation which are heavily prevalant here are always something of a winner with most audiences. For this reason the film should be congratulated as its spoof of 2001 is obvious but still manages to reawaken some of its darker themes.

Now to the quality of the dvd package itself and that I can firmly say is POOR.

- Firstly the packaging. I had to send my first order back as the disk was horribly scratched - the disk spins terribly in the plastic tray it is supplied in and this is what creates the scratches. I imagine this will be quite common and really will be hit or miss if this happens in the future but I will try and adjust the case somehow to prevent this. Other than this though the rest of the packaging is excellent and is well made with cool little pictures etc, its just a shame care wasnt taken to protect the main feature - the disk.
- Secondly this so called special edition doesnt really have anything special about it on the disk itself. You get the standard still gallery and filmographies but they are a bit of a cop out if you ask me. Theres no commentary or interview from John Carpenter which I would have liked to have seen, no deleted scenes but then again the extended release is included so maybe thats where they went. The box touts that this special edition set includes menus but come on DVD's have had menus since day 1 you cant sell that as a special feature.
- Third the sound. By god I know that this was a low budget film at the time and I wasnt expecting miracles but the sound is terrible. The bass (mostly sound effects and music) drops all over the place and any character lines that are trying to be delivered are frequently lost in some trebly 'nails across the chalkboard' pitch. I was constantly reaching back and forth to adjust my speakers through this and found it frustrating that I had to sit here like a record producer adjusting sound levels. Like I say I wasnt expecting miracles but this really could ahve been addressed.
- Fourth the picture quuality is as above with the sound. Some parts are awfully grainy and again whilst I understand this is and old film and I wasnt expecting BluRay quality or anything, these problems could have been given a bit more attention.

Despite these comments though this is a very fair movie and well worth a look. I can see that people who grew up on this will be thrilled by the film and its packaging, and would also like to think that a younger generation will be open to viewing the film critically and not negatively. For these reasons I would reccomend the film but only from a personal context. After all if you loved this film originally chances are you will still love it now, and if you are new to it such as myself, I would hazard a guess that your thoughts will be similar to mine.

Wildwood tree man wall mounted bottle opener
Wildwood tree man wall mounted bottle opener

5.0 out of 5 stars Pricey - But Worth It, 20 Mar 2012
In searching for decent wall mounted bottle openers I was finding it rather difficult to find one that wouldnt just look like scrap metal on the wall. Towards the end of looking I found this little fella and it has to be said its a very unique item.

Its a little pricey (esepescially as I can open bottles with a spoon or even a piece of paper and thus dont really need any fancy gadgets) but I wanted something to stand out when grabbing a beer for my mates. This is perfect for that - its a realy imaginative item that is well made. The item itself is a good size (I was worried it would be tiny) but it is about the size of my hand - a good 6-7 inches long. Its also very thick - from the tip of his nose to the back is about 3 inches, and the weight is good - you could use this thing to hold a big door open! The packaging is also excellent - its not in a fancy display case or anything but it came in a good sized box securely fitted with a polystyrene mould.

The paintwork is ok - nothing to write home about - its basically just drybrushed but it works on this item and if you want to put any more detail in of course you can. The only problem I have with it I suppose is that the correct sized screws did not come with it which might be daunting to some but its not really an issue.

Overall this is a great product Im really happy with it - I'll make sure to keep digging for quirky little gems like this in the future - its amazing what you can find if you look hard enough!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4