Profile for smccoull > Reviews

Content by smccoull

"smccoull"

Medal of Honor: Rising Sun (PS2)
Medal of Honor: Rising Sun (PS2)
Offered by RAREWAVES

2.0 out of 5 stars Only 9 missions., 15 Dec 2003
I have to admit to enjoying this game quite a lot. The game play, graffics and AI could all be better, much better, but nevertheless it was quite fun. What I really found annoying though was that the game ended after only 9 missions. At first I thought I was mistaken but when I finally realised that I had completed the game in 6 hours I was quite disappointed.
If you don't have much money for games then I suggest you save your money for something else.

The Forgotten Soldier: The True Story of a Young German Soldier on the Russian Front
by Guy Sajer

5.0 out of 5 stars The best 1st person book about war I have ever read., 15 Dec 2003
I have never been the fastest of readers yet I managed to digest this book's 500 odd pages in a couple of days. I was unable to put it down and have never been so addicted to a book.
Sajer describes in great detail his hopes and dreams which desend into fear and loathing and then into nothingness after spending too many years fighting the Russians and seeing the majority of his comrades killed in a savage fashion before his eyes.
I never thought I would feel real pity for the Germans who fought for Hitler but this book has managed to bring that emotion out in me. It has made me realised that whilst Nazi Germany brought misery on millions of non Germans it also inflicted that same misery on the Germans themselves, many of whom also didn't want war. Although I am sure I will never fully understand what happens to people during war without experiencing it myself this book goes part way to explain it. I hope I never live through anything like this.
This book is a must, even if you do not normally read war based books this one makes it worthwhile. A truely harrowing, sad book that everyone should read.