Profile for chris > Reviews

Works: Volume 1
Works: Volume 1
Offered by langton_info_england

2.0 out of 5 stars Not worth your money unless your dedicated., 27 Dec 2004
This review is from: Works: Volume 1 (Audio CD)
I have in the last year or so become very involved with the progressive genre. Bands like Yes, Genesis, Pink Floyd Jethro Tull and Rush all appear on my computers playlist, yet for some reason ELP never really featured. Therefore when looking in HMV one day I flipped through the ELP section. Admittedly I knew little about what to go for so I picked up what appeared to be a proper release, not on of the many An introduction to.... or The story of.... titles.
I was bittterly disappointed, rather than be greeted by blazing keyboard solos of Keith Emerson and classicly influenced rock, I got what sounded more like folk songs by Greg Lake and a twenty minute long concerto opening the firts disc. The second sounded dated and mediocre.
As a new generation fan of this genre, I suppose that I expected something different not having a view in context, yet I got what is clearly an album that acted as a catalyst for Punk Rock a few years later. Prog is definitely a brilliant form of music, and I can safely say that other ELP releases are much better such as Brain Salad Surgey, yet here it would appear they slipped up. Unless you are very into hevil classical progressive, stay away.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 29, 2008 3:29 PM BST