Profile for -EFox- > Reviews

Content by -EFox-

-EFox- (UK)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Energizer  BC B22 6 W Candle LED Bulb, 40 W Traditional Replacement, 470 Lumens - Warm White
Energizer BC B22 6 W Candle LED Bulb, 40 W Traditional Replacement, 470 Lumens - Warm White

5.0 out of 5 stars LED 40 watt bulb, 31 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The warm white is a lot less harsh than the first energy saving LED's that came out, it now gives off a very slight yellow whilst still being bright. The B22 fit fits my classic chandelier in the living room which has been around since the early 90's - it's good to update the tungstens with LEDs now. Overall it's a great bulb with no problems.

The Little Book of Colouring - Tropical Paradise: Peace in Your Pocket
The Little Book of Colouring - Tropical Paradise: Peace in Your Pocket
by Amber Anderson

5.0 out of 5 stars Tropical Paradise colouring, 30 Aug. 2015
Length:: 3:12 Mins

As a commuter who does a lot of travelling by train, sometimes music and reading gets a bit boring when doing it everyday. The thin, A5 size makes it perfect for carrying around, and it contains just enough designs to get your money's worth - around 45 in total. The quotes on the opposing pages are nice too. It's been very well designed and I especially loved how the pages are thick enough to not have pen ink soak through. I love the tropical paradise theme, it's totally my style, i'd even like to scan some of the designs and make them in to a feature wall wallpaper.

The 'anxiety reducing' aspect of it all I can kind of understand - it's a great way to focus your mind and stay occupied, but without too much of a challenge. I much prefer the larger designs like the watermelons though. Getting the intricate ones I found actually quite stressful and I don't have the best attention span for them. Completing a whole page takes around 1/2 hour with complete focus.

Overall I think it's a great book that would make a perfect stocking filler, or small present for those 'acquaintance' type friends. The best pens I've found in my opinion are the STABILO Point 88 Fineliner Ballpoint Pen - Assorted Colours (Wallet of 30) for the really intricate stuff and the Staedtler Triplus Fineliner 334 SB20 Tips Desktop Box - Assorted Colours (Pack of 20) for the blockier stuff.

Neewer Adjustable Manual Follow Focus and Zoom Control Level Lens Clamp for DSLR Video Cameras

3.0 out of 5 stars Follow focus, 28 Aug. 2015
A bit plastic fantastic, sort of does the job but wouldn't be suitable for any professional application. It works in the sense that you don't have to touch the focus ring and cause camera shake, but it's not built well enough to last for consistent use or work for video work.

AmazonBasics Everyday Flat Sheet, Dark Green 280 x 320 + 10 cm
AmazonBasics Everyday Flat Sheet, Dark Green 280 x 320 + 10 cm

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazon Basics Flat Sheet, 28 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Very good for the price, the sheet is huge and will easily fit a king size bed. I love the racing green colour and have used it as a top sheet in the spare room. 100% Cotton, great quality, a little hard to iron but no problems with it as of yet. I'd expect the quality of this from somewhere like Next - not quite Laura Ashley, but almost at that luxury level.

Bookkeeping & Accounting All-in-One For Dummies
Bookkeeping & Accounting All-in-One For Dummies
by Jane E. Kelly

5.0 out of 5 stars Bookkeeping and Accounting - For Dummies, 23 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As someone who knows zero about bookkeeping (though I have a plan in a few years to start a business, hence why i'm reading up) I found this invaluable.

It's 6 books in 1 -
1 - Basic Bookkeeping
2 - Bookkeeping Day to Day
3 - Undertaking Monthly and Quarterly Tasks
4 - Working to Prepare Financial Statements
5 - Accountants: Managing the Business
6 - Accountants: Working with the Outside World

It's in-depth, but this also means wordy - some more images of the Sage interface and other spreadsheet examples would have helped me to understand the process. The book is going to take a few reads, as by nature it's all very mathematical and regimented, but it all seems clear enough to understand and every option is covered - starting from the beginning of different types of accounts, to starting new employees on PAYE and submitting end of year payroll, there's really too much to mention here, but from a rookie point of view, it seems like absolutely everything i'd need to know is covered.

AmazonBasics Apple Certified Lightning to USB Cable - 4 Inches (10 Centimeters) - White

5.0 out of 5 stars Apple cable, 22 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Works great, connects just like the official Apple ones. It's small, and for use with my Mac I prefer the longer ones as the USB ports are on the back, but this one is ideal for use in the car.

I use it with an iPod Nano 7th gen, and I believe the iPhone 5 and above uses this size connector.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Coconut Syrup, Natural Sweetener,250ml
Coconut Syrup, Natural Sweetener,250ml
Offered by Bali Nutra Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Coconut Syrup, 22 Aug. 2015
Reminds me a lot like Agave Nectar in it's consistency, and I was a bit apprehensive at first from the smell, but it tastes nothing like it smells. I had a tablespoon in a big bowl of porridge and it was perfect - normally I use agave but that can very quickly taste very sharp if you add too much. It tastes great, but i've found mixing it with stuff doesn't make the taste stand out - I use this as a positive as it binds flapjacks just as well as golden syrup, and tastes fantastic in banana milkshakes.

It's a great product that's very versatile. the taste isn't like coconuts but it's nice in itself; has an almost smokiness to it.

Innovative Pet Products Oral Health Dog Bowl, Small , Green
Innovative Pet Products Oral Health Dog Bowl, Small , Green

4.0 out of 5 stars Oral Health Dog Bowl, 20 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It's a great idea, and my labrador eats fine from it with no problems, but won't lick the bowl afterwards like she does with her previous one. The little teeth-cleaning nodules are perhaps too sharp. It works marginally better with wet food, but still she only licked what was necessary and walked off. Normally she considers there to be a good 3 minutes of licking the bowl after dinner, just to make sure she hasn't missed any.

I've included a photo of her and the bowl to show the size of it.
Comment Comment | Permalink

New 2015 A-Level Biology for AQA: Year 1 & AS Student Book with Online Edition
New 2015 A-Level Biology for AQA: Year 1 & AS Student Book with Online Edition
by CGP Books

4.0 out of 5 stars AQA Biology, 18 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I used CGP books myself years ago, when I was doing my science GCSE's and A-Levels. I've since recommended them to my niece, who's getting on with them really well.

They're sincere, concise, and to the point. This Biology guide however doesn't have the exam skills section in the back like it's Chemistry sister book does - something I found a little disappointing, as that's an inherently vital skill for passing the exams. The book is laid out in sections of information, with an exam practice part at the end. The glossary is complex, though I would write out your own, to make sure you've got everything.

A-Level biology I found to be similar to GCSE level, just more of it. It expands on what you will already know; for example, instead of just knowing about Mitochondria in a cell, you learn of the chemicals contained within that organelle. Unlike the lower level CGP guides, there's a lot more written content and a few less jokes, but it's visually clear and easy to use; the pages are particularly good for photocopying and highlighting.

I would recommend if aiming for those A's and A*'s, reading around the subject, and ingesting every bit of information from all sources. For anyone studying at the minute that's probably a phrase much overheard, but it's true - all study books for AQA Biology have to follow the same curriculum, but they all word things differently, and one might provide a nugget that will help you with one thing more than another. That, and practice, practice, practice with test papers. Speaking as someone who got those A's, the best thing I found for biology was to identify key words in a question, and know what words need to be in that answer.

Boy on the Wire
Boy on the Wire
by Alastair Bruce

3.0 out of 5 stars Boy on the Wire, 16 Aug. 2015
This review is from: Boy on the Wire (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm stuck between 2.5 stars and 3. Curiosity is the sole driving force to keep reading, though by halfway through I found myself realising the plot is going nowhere, and does eventually lead to a highly predictable ending. The story is linear and thin. However, despite this, one thing that was prominent is that this would make a better film than a book. It reads like a screenplay in places, and it's deeply aesthetic - there are beautifully visual parts in some places, reminding me of a Terence Malick film, combined with a silent and slow horror like The Ring. With the hazy sunlight flashbacks and slow motion-like fire descriptions, I could strongly see the story more so than I could feel it, or feel the point of it all. John, the protagonist, is hard to care about because he gives no reason for us to attach to him. He's a man with a stable relationship and job living in London, who experiences a sequence of things that as a reader we are unsure to be in our reality also - a sequence that is so dragged out and disappointingly revealed with clichéd exposition in the end.

Being so short at just 210 pages, it's a good length to read in a few days - I would consider it an 'art piece' of the literature world, due to it's detachment with traditional storytelling.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20