Profile for M. J. Holroyd > Reviews

Content by M. J. Holroyd

M. J. Holroyd (England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
BPS High Power Canon LP-E8 LPE8 Battery Pack for Canon EOS 550D 600D 650D 700D Rebel T2i T3i T4i T5i Kiss X4 X5 Digital Cameras BG E8 Grip BG-E8 (Pack of 2)
Offered by bpsltduk
Price: 14.29

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for the price, but no way near 2500mAh capacity, 16 Mar 2014
I wanted higher-capacity batteries than the Canon battery supplied with my camera to use for astrophotography in which I need to take lots of long-exposure pictures without disturbing the camera once set up. When I wasn't getting as long as I expected, I ran a little experiment.

I set up my camera to take 30-second exposures with 4-second intervals between each until the battery ran out. I did this indoors; I reckon battery capacity would be lower in the cold outdoors.

Original Canon battery: 1120mAh: 402 exposures = 3 hours 20 mins (approx)
Replacement battery 1: 2500mAh: 307 exposures = 2 hours 30 mins (approx)
Replacement battery 2: 2500mAh: 322 exposures = 2 hours 40 mins (approx).

So you see I get much more exposure time with the original battery that is rated at only 1120mAh.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 4, 2014 3:23 PM BST

365 New Words-A-Year 2014 Page-A-Day Calendar
365 New Words-A-Year 2014 Page-A-Day Calendar
by Inc. Merriam-Webster
Edition: Calendar

3.0 out of 5 stars Contains common words as well., 23 Jan 2014
I'm quite disappointed with this calendar. So far in January, it's contained words such as "maitre d'", "prepossessing", "skulk", "berate" and "cobalt". Hardly unusual words.

There are some unusual words to try to work into casual conversation for a laugh, so not a total loss.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 13, 2014 10:55 AM BST

Campingaz Quickbed Double Airbed
Campingaz Quickbed Double Airbed
Price: 20.41

1.0 out of 5 stars A deflating experience (ha ha), 29 Dec 2013
I'm currently two nights into a week-long holiday in which my girlfriend and I are sleeping on this airbed. At first it feels very comfortable until we wake up in the middle of the night with our backsides touching the floor. An airbed that needs topping up during the night isn't fit for purpose in my opinion.

I bought it from a different supplier than Amazon. It'll be going straight back after my holiday.

Telrad Red Dot Finder
Telrad Red Dot Finder
Offered by Telescope House
Price: 40.00

5.0 out of 5 stars I finally found Andromeda!, 30 Nov 2013
For more experienced fanatics, finding Andromeda may not be a big deal, but I'm just starting out with amateur astronomy and astrophotography. The problem with the finderscope that came with the telescope is that it magnifies, inverts, reveals more stars, and you only get a very narrow field of view. This is fine with aiming your scope at the likes of Jupiter or even the Orion nebula, but I found the problem when looking for a messier object in or near the plough. Looking through the finderscope, the plough simply disappeared. I'd be looking at one of the stars in the constellation but I couldn't be sure which one due to the narrow field of view. I was totally lost in the night sky.

Enter the Telrad. No magnification or inversion, but more importantly you still have the view of the whole night sky whilst looking through the little perspex window with the concentric circles reflected through it, focused at infinity and superimposed on the night sky. The diameters of the concentric circles are of a specific angular displacement (the outer circle is two degrees I think), and with star charts specifically for the Telrad that you can download off the internet, star hopping is made easier. I used mine with the telescope's original finderscope to locate Andromeda for the first time. I wouldn't have managed it without the Telrad. I learnt a little bit more of the night sky in the process as well and now I can find Andromeda quite easily now.

Now I'm looking forward to finding more objects in the night sky and the Telrad will help me for sure.

HTC DESIRE S BLACK GENUINE LEATHER CASE BY CELLAPOD CASES
HTC DESIRE S BLACK GENUINE LEATHER CASE BY CELLAPOD CASES

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a case for my HTC Desire S, 29 Nov 2013
My phone goes in it, it goes in my pocket, it stops the phone and screen getting scratched up my keys and coins. Job done.

Expect a life time of 2 years. This is the second one I bought, but it's not expensive.

The God Delusion
The God Delusion
by Richard Dawkins
Price: 6.29

1.0 out of 5 stars By a practising atheist..., 29 Nov 2013
This review is from: The God Delusion (Paperback)
Given the subject matter, it's funny how a review entitled "By a practising Muslim..." gave this book 4 stars and here I am, an atheist, giving it 1. (By the way, I know the phrase "practising atheist" is an oxymoron, I just used it as a contrast to the aforementioned Muslim review who rates this book more than me.)

The problem is, in spite of the fact that I agree with everything Dawkins says, it doesn't get away from the fact he comes across as a pompous arse. That's why I couldn't get through more than a third of this book. I liked the bits about how the bible contradicts itself, but logic arguments about whether God exists or not are futile, no matter how many teapots or spaghetti monsters you talk about. The fact is, God was invented by man in such a way that you can't prove his nonexistence. They learnt the lessons from the Greek gods who lived at the top of mount Olympus. People just went to the top of mount Olympus and there were no gods there. An invisible God who is everywhere and invisible, and questioning his existence is the work of the devil? Nah, why even bother? All that's needed is Hitchins' comment, "what can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence" and leave it at that.

I got the impression from this book that Dawkins' main argument is "I'm more intelligent than you so I'm right." He often mentions his "enhanced state of consciousness" due to his knowledge of Darwin, or something like that (sorry, it has been a while since I read this).

I don't know why most people believe in some kind of God. I don't believe that because they do it somehow gives validity to the idea. That's just bigging up the human race too much and just watching the news shows how crap we are as a species (except for those news items on how scientists can probe the very essence of the cosmos on a fraction of the money we spend on killing each other). All I know is that atheists and theists can debate each other until the cows come home, yet no one will be changing their minds anytime soon. Why bother? Stick to biology and love your fellow man (or something like that).
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 1, 2013 2:54 PM GMT

Early Stages: The Highlights (The Official Bootleg Collection 1982-1988)
Early Stages: The Highlights (The Official Bootleg Collection 1982-1988)
Price: 12.06

4.0 out of 5 stars Cheaper than the original box set with no duplication of tracks, 29 Mar 2013
As a big Marillion fan and a big fan of live albums, I was slightly intrigued by the Early Stages box set but not enough to part with the money. The problem was, how many times do I need to own the same music? Fish and Marillion release loads of live albums so I always look to see what each has to offer that no other previous release has. The full box set had loads of repetition/duplicates of tracks, so even with one single purchase I'd be owning the same songs more than once.

So this highlights is the answer. No duplication of tracks here. But what has this release got to offer that no other live album has (Reel, Magpie, Recital, and Loreley)? Well the first disc has plenty. Early versions of songs from the Script era before the finely-crafted incarnations were put down on vinyl. She Chameleon itself is a treat - so much different to the final version. As the disc goes on, the "new treats" become fewer. The sound quality of the tracks from Reading is a bit echoey I feel and so Grendel is no real improvement on the version on Recital of the Script.

On disc 2, an early version of side 1 of Misplaced Childhood is another treat, including very cheesey lyrics for Kayleigh which I'm glad Fish re-wrote. After that, the last few tracks (all from Clutching at Straws) has nothing new to offer compared with Live at Loreley. Finally a version of Market Square Heroes with a bit of a medley in the middle (My generation, Let's Twist Again I think) wasn't even included on the original box set, but again isn't much different to the version on Loreley.

So to summarise, it's well worth the price for most of disc 1 alone as these very early songs provide a different listening experience to what has been released previously. After that, well as the band got a record deal, most songs they debut live are pretty much the final polished product anyway so not of much historical interest to me for that reason,

Pro Camera Aluminium Case (padded) Flight case - Original SOLIDGUARD by BRUBAKER
Offered by Brubaker (The fast shipper!)
Price: 79.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for my telescope accessories, 29 Mar 2013
I've been looking for a case for some time to store all my telescope accessories: finderscope (plus attachment); eye pieces (plus adaptor); collimator; spare batteries; t-ring; smartphone mount; small bag of tools for collimating; and accessory tray. There's loads of room left over for future purchases (filters I'm thinking).

In the base of the case are two layers of this foam from which you can pluck out the cubes (okay, cuboids) to create your custom-sized pockets. This enables you to create pockets of two different depths. If you pluck out cubes from both layers, there is a very thin foam layer left over on the very base of the case to maintain a little cushioning and protection of your items. The lid also has a layer of this foam that you can pluck out. However, if you do this, you are left with some kind of hardboard between your stored items and the very lid of the case, so I therefore didn't make any pockets in the lid.

I'm very pleased with this case and will be invaluable for keeping all the smaller items used in amateur astronomy in one place, and reducing the chances of leaving anything behind when I'm out somewhere (no empty pockets = everything has been packed away).

XSories Pholder Smartphone Tripod Mount
XSories Pholder Smartphone Tripod Mount
Offered by Planet Gizmo
Price: 7.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Mounting my HTC Desire S on my telescope, 29 Mar 2013
My telescope has the standard tripod screw thread on the outside of the tube so I used this to mount my phone onto the telescope. The purpose is to use one of those apps that shows you all the objects on the sky that you are currently looking at. One of these apps has a calibration mode so the phone doesn't even need to be pointing directly at the object that the telescope is looking at, so it can be uses as a push-to mount to find any object in the sky (any amateur astronomer reading this will know what I'm banging on about). I don't yet know if the app is any good for this application because of all the cloudy nights, but this mount does the job it's supposed to do, so 5 stars.

Charlestown
Charlestown
Price: 14.77

4.0 out of 5 stars 5 Stars for the music, zero stars for the production:, 29 Mar 2013
This review is from: Charlestown (Audio CD)
I saw Manning at that much famed music festival, the Hartlepool Progmeister Fest. Two years on, I finally bought Charlestown. What kept me from buying it sooner was that soundclips sounded awful. Maybe it was just the quality of the streaming audio.

No. I bought the CD and the sound quality and production is indeed truly awful. It sounds tinny and flat, like I was back in the '70s listening to it on Dial-a-Disk on the phone. I don't understand why no other review has picked up on this.

But then the music itself is so damn fantastic, after a few listens, I was able to push through the production issues. just so long as I play it first in a music-listening session so as to avoid any contrast with any other CD. The title track, the massive Charlestown, is just totally awesome with everything you would want from a good long prog epic (soaring melodies, recurring themes, different sections, abrupt time changes, then going full circle to end as it began) whilst avoiding (I feel) prog cliches.

I was afraid that after such a massive track as Charlestown, the other shorter songs would just be filler. I thought so at first, but after a few listens these songs grew on me and together they maintain the massive standard of Charlestown. I particularly love the final track (finale): an instrumental that would have been up there with Los Endos, had it not been for the production.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3