ARRAY(0xb171a6e4)

Profile for Tescodirect > Reviews

Content by Tescodirect

Tescodirect

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11
Road to Seeing (Voices That Matter)
Road to Seeing (Voices That Matter)
by Dan Winters

4.0 out of 5 stars An interesting read, 21 April 2014
A rather long autobiography of a highly successful photographer is not the kind of thing I would normally read, and I'm not entirely certain what was going through my mind when I ordered it. However, it is really well written and I am finding it an engaging read. The length is quite daunting, and I am not certain that reading it will lead to an improvement in anyone's ability as a photographer, but if you like autobiographies and are interested in photography then it is worth a read.

Tidal
Tidal
Price: 6.46

5.0 out of 5 stars almost a classic, 21 April 2014
This review is from: Tidal (Audio CD)
I only discovered this artist recently, and purchased this cd. It is an excellent collection of moody and melodic songs, which I have listened to repeatedly. Love it..

The Idler Wheel Is Wiser Than the Driver of the Screw and Whipping Cords Will Serve You More Than Ropes Will Ever Do
Price: 6.99

2.0 out of 5 stars nothing special, 21 April 2014
I recently discovered this artist via You Tube and purchased her excellent first CD. Not knowing where to go next, I purchased this as it was her latest release. Unfortunately, it bares little resemblance to her debut, and it is not growing on me with repeated listens. Really don't like it.

Maxima Fitness MF-2000-SpeedsterXT Auto Incline Folding Treadmill (Semi Commercial) - Black/Grey, Premium
Price: 730.47 - 827.54

3.0 out of 5 stars Reasonable home treadmill, 21 April 2014
This is the second treadmill I have owned, the first being a Nordiktrack, which lasted for around three years before things started to go wrong. I purchased this model because it was roughly the same dimensions as my previous one, and seemed to do what I wanted. It basically does what it is supposed to do, but it is certainly for home use only, and I struggle to understand how it can be described as "semi-commercial" because it is not that solid and I cannot see it lasting for long with heavy usage. It certainly does not feel as solid as my previous treadmill, creaking quite loudly when you run on it, and the features are a lot more basic. It will do for light use, but I would not recommend it to anyone who wants to do some serious training.

Off-Camera Flash
Off-Camera Flash
by Neil Van Niekerk
Price: 16.74

3.0 out of 5 stars Not enough new material, 19 April 2014
This review is from: Off-Camera Flash (Paperback)
This book is ok, being a follow-up to the same author's other book, On-Camera Flash. Probably because this book is intended to be useful without having read the previous one, there are a lot of concepts repeated and it just does not have enough new material in it to justify the price. As both are fairly thin publications, it would have been very easy to just combine them into one really good value book covering both on-camera and off-camera.

Delivered
Delivered
Price: 12.12

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor Paul Simon imitation, 19 April 2014
This review is from: Delivered (Audio CD)
I came across Mark Erelli by accident, playing at a Festival and was very impressed, so decided to try one of his CDs. Unfortunately, this is nothing like his live performance, and I can't see myself even playing this again. It appears to be an attempt to copy the type of music Paul Simon produced in the 1980s, which I don't think was his best period, but I don't think it works at any level. I don't know if any of his other CDs are closer to the way he sounds live, but I don't think I will take the risk of buying any more to find out.

Logitech Z120 Stereo Speakers
Logitech Z120 Stereo Speakers
Offered by NORDPC
Price: 14.20

2.0 out of 5 stars Not much better than built-in speakers, 19 April 2014
I bought these speakers as there are a number of situations when I watch something on my laptop but cannot hear the dialogue properly, so I wanted to give the sound a boost. For external speakers, I find them very quiet and not noticeably louder than the built-in speakers, just a bit bassier. If you turn them up full, which I found was needed most of the time, they distort quite badly.

The reviews of these speakers are very mixed, but as there are more positive than negative ones overall I thought I would give them a go. In summary I would say good points are: gets power from USB port so does not require mains nearby, pretty cheap to buy. Bad points: cables are very short so they have to be right next to the laptop, volume output is pretty low, sound distorts quite badly when volume is turned up which will be most of the time as they are so quiet.

Can't say that I recommend them

Nikon D610 Digital SLR Camera (24.3MP) 3.2 inch LCD
Nikon D610 Digital SLR Camera (24.3MP) 3.2 inch LCD
Offered by berlin foto
Price: 1,269.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything you always wanted your D7000 to be, 3 April 2014
I moved to the D610 from a D7000 after a lot of consideration. The D800 is still quite a bit more expensive, and the thought of those massive RAW files making my computer crash worried me, so the D610 seemed like a more sensible option. My only concern was whether it represented a big enough up-grade from the D7000, particularly when the D7100 is out there with a better spec- well I believe it does!

The layout of the two cameras is almost identical, although the D610 now has the ISO adjustment button in the lowest position, which is more sensible. The similarity was really convenient, as the D610 felt familiar straight out of the box and I felt comfortable using it immediately without having a prolonged learning curve, which I am sure I would have needed with a D800. The D7000 had two weaknesses in my opinion, which were that both the autofocus system and the metering could be quite unreliable, leading to a large number of wasted shots. The D610 seems to suffer from neither of these problems, and I've hardly missed a shot. I know the two cameras technically have the same 39-point system, but it certainly feels like this has been tweaked. The common system was something that bothered me a bit, as on a full-frame camera the points are concentrated in the center of the viewfinder, so you need to focus and recompose a lot of the time. In reality, I have not found this to be a problem at all, and the focus system is spot on most of the time.

The image quality is just superb, with the 24mp sensor giving really clean, detailed images: enough to crop significantly, which I was never that comfortable doing previously. But what has really impressed me is what happens when you raise the ISO, as the camera delivers usable images with ISO right up to 6400. OK, you need some noise reduction in post-processing, but the fact that it delivers anything decent at all at such a high setting is really impressive. The "expanded" ISO settings don't really cut it though, and I cannot imagine anyone using them.

One criticism I have read is that the display screen has an odd green tint to it, which my copy did indeed have and I found it really unacceptable. However, I also read somewhere that this is something which disappears after a few hundred shots, and despite thinking that this sounded unlikely it was in fact the case, and the display is now fine.

In summary, the D610 is everything I always wanted the D7000 to be, and I am very happy with it.

Tokina AF 100mm F/2.8 Macro AT-X 100AF PRO D - Nikon
Tokina AF 100mm F/2.8 Macro AT-X 100AF PRO D - Nikon
Price: 369.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Top quality sharp lens, 18 Feb 2014
This was the second Tokina lens I purchased, the other being the excellent 11-16mm wide angle. Once again, this absolutely delivers the goods. It is razor sharp, and pretty fast. In fact, these two Tokina lenses are the sharpest in my collection, which features a Tamron, a Sigma and a selection of Nikon DX lenses: Nikon pro lenses are too pricey for me so cannot comment on how the Tokina's compare to any of the top FX lenses.

There are a couple of things I should point out, which are not necessarily criticisms but important to know when deciding whether to purchase one of these. The first point is that Tokina seem to really concentrate on delivering top optical quality at a competitive price, which they manage by leaving off some features you might expect on a modern lens. So this does not feature any kind of focus motor, meaning it will not autofocus on the 3000 or 5000 series Nikons, and there is no vibration reduction/image stabilisation. Now if you use it purely as a macro lens neither of these points are likely to be an issue, but it also makes an excellent portrait lens, where shooting hand-held with autofocus might be the norm. If you have a D7000 or above, it will autofocus, but it can be quite slow to do so and sometimes seems to lose the focus point altogether. Also worth bearing in mind that the widest aperture of f2.8 is not constant, as the lens changes length considerably when focussing at different distances from the subject.

None of these issues bother me that much, and considering the price I wholeheartedly recommend this lens.

AmazonBasics 10- to 12-Sheet Cross-Cut Shredder with CD Shred
AmazonBasics 10- to 12-Sheet Cross-Cut Shredder with CD Shred
Price: 41.99

3.0 out of 5 stars 10 to 12 sheets my a#*!, 2 Feb 2014
In my experience of this price range, shredders tend to be suitable for light duties and maybe last for a couple of years. I had modest hopes for this one, and I got what I paid for. If you just shred a few documents as you go along, this will be fine. If you let your shredding accumulate and attempt to do a batch at the end of the month, this is not the best choice. Needless to say that's what I have done, and I find it jams constantly. I should perhaps expect that, but the one thing that I think is irritating is the claim that this machine can shred 10-12 sheets at a time, which is simply not true. I found that it immediately clogs up with anything more than 6 sheets, and even keeping below that number it still jams fairly frequently. So if you intend to buy this, keep that in mind and be aware that it will probably only do for small batches.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11